Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Old owl shot from Feb this year (owl season is nearly here!)

A few stray Costa Rica shots:
Blue-crowned Motmot

Macaw

Collared Aracari

Moon Potato posted:

ay, so I pulled over and grabbed my camera. Unfortunately, a cloud moved over the sun while it was happening, but after cruising around the field for a bit, it dove right in front of me.

diving-kite by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
This is an incredible shot. I love the pose!

Really cool face portrait, but what the hell kind of magpie is that? Also, I like the second cockatoo shot best. It's a pity you didn't have a bit of fill flash to push out those shadows on the belly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I tried using the inbuilt flash but it was too bright a day and I dont own an external one. Its on my list though.

The magpie is the standard common one you see in Australia. Normally they are really aggressive and swoop you for hundreds of meters, especially this time of year. I guess that guy hadnt seen people too much cause he was curious enough to walk right up to me.

I really like your picture of the motmot, thats a really pretty bird. Is that macaw wild?

E: I got on the computer and looked it up and they are literally called "Australian Magpies"

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 7, 2015

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I've had success with using a Canon 430EXII flash to photograph hummingbirds, it worked from a surprisingly long distance (although thanks to the distance the photos didn't turn out that well, but they were certainly well-lit.) The problem is dealing with the extra bulk and awkwardness of toting around a big flash out in the woods.

I didn't make it out very far today, but I did manage to get some photos of the local water birds on the bread dole at a nearby park. (Feeding ducks bread is not good for them. Many of the ducks found here are unhealthy.)

waterfowl expressions-07646 by S M, on Flickr
A pissed-off looking Egyptian goose. These were probably the most common anatids at the park today. Around a dozen of them were hanging out on the park road, playing chicken with passing vehicles. They would stand in the vehicles' path, wait for them to come to a halt, then slowly waddle out of the way.

waterfowl expressions-07415 by S M, on Flickr
Domestic goose. Together with the Egyptians, they are the true masters of the park. While the latter have a rivalry with the local cars, these farm geese most likely see the common Small American child as their greatest enemy.

waterfowl expressions-07539 by S M, on Flickr
All American coots have a devious expression, and it suits their behavior. They lay eggs in each others' nests, and are known to favor certain of their young, while allowing the others to starve. They will also cannibalize each other in times of scarce food availability.

waterfowl expressions-07521 by S M, on Flickr

waterfowl expressions-07434 by S M, on Flickr
Wood ducks, male and female. They are the Chihuahuas of the duck world. As are Mandarin ducks.

waterfowl expressions-07618 by S M, on Flickr
Does this one look smug? I'll tell you a secret: this duck is a rapist.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 8, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I took this image in May 2014 during a sailing trip. It's a juvenile male Costa's hummingbird

I'm reposting it because it just got selected to be used in an upcoming book being published by Heritage House & Seattle Audubon Society: Birds of British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest: A Complete Guide [HH/Canadian edition]/Birds of the Pacific Northwest [SAS/USA edition], by Richard Cannings, Tom Aversa, and Hal Opperman

It'll be published next year and I get a copy of the book as payment. :)

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

waterfowl expressions-07521 by S M, on Flickr

waterfowl expressions-07434 by S M, on Flickr
Mandarin ducks, male and female. They are the Chihuahuas of the duck world.

These are Wood Ducks not Mandarin ducks.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

What I get for posting right before falling asleep :doh:

Edit: They were also smaller than any of the wild Wood ducks I've seen elsewhere. These two were definitely acclimated to humans and I suspect that their diet contains a significant proportion of white bread. Not that it necessarily has any bearing on their size.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 8, 2015

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Collared Aracari

Amazing.

Kenshin posted:

I took this image in May 2014 during a sailing trip. It's a juvenile male Costa's hummingbird

I'm reposting it because it just got selected to be used in an upcoming book being published by Heritage House & Seattle Audubon Society: Birds of British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest: A Complete Guide [HH/Canadian edition]/Birds of the Pacific Northwest [SAS/USA edition], by Richard Cannings, Tom Aversa, and Hal Opperman

Congrats! That seems like an odd bird to include in a Pacific Northwest guide, though. Do a few vagrant costa's make their way that far north or do they hybridize with Anna's or something?

We're starting to get Burrowing Owls in the dunes for the winter. Someone tipped me off to the location of one burrow, and I was able to find it pretty easily.

burrowing-owl by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

As I was leaving, I stopped to talk to some California Conservation Corps workers that were just finishing up an invasive plant removal project for the day, and they had found what they suspected was a second occupied burrow. I went to check that out after a failed stakeout of the first burrow the next day, and sure enough it was occupied.

burrowing-owl-evening by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The weather wasn't cooperating with my attempts to shoot kites hunting at the national wildlife refuge, so I decided to use the clouds and shoot some silhouettes.

kite-parachute-sunset by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

These are all fantastic!

I guess Burrowing Owls are a little more obvious, but how do people get shots of owls in general?

I've never even seen an owl before I found this Barred Owl in a tree. I was able to get a distant shot of it that turned out ok, but I didn't have much luck approaching it.

Barred Owl by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

I don't know if I was just too eager because it was my first owl, but it always flew directly away from me when I approached, and I was never able to get a clean shot. I followed it to a couple of trees until I lost it, and this is the best I got. :cripes:

Totally a Barred Owl by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

I don't know how you guys (InternetJunky) are able to get flight shots, especially in any direction other than directly away.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

I don't know how you guys (InternetJunky) are able to get flight shots, especially in any direction other than directly away.

Fun shots! I've never really been able to get even the branch-obscured shot you got there.

I assume the other guys posting insane perfectly sharp perfect DoF dead-on flight shots are probably sitting in a blind.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Beautiful wood duck, especially with it out of water!

Kenshin posted:

Huge congrats!

Moon Potato posted:

We're starting to get Burrowing Owls in the dunes for the winter. Someone tipped me off to the location of one burrow, and I was able to find it pretty easily.

burrowing-owl by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

As I was leaving, I stopped to talk to some California Conservation Corps workers that were just finishing up an invasive plant removal project for the day, and they had found what they suspected was a second occupied burrow. I went to check that out after a failed stakeout of the first burrow the next day, and sure enough it was occupied.

burrowing-owl-evening by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The weather wasn't cooperating with my attempts to shoot kites hunting at the national wildlife refuge, so I decided to use the clouds and shoot some silhouettes.

kite-parachute-sunset by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
Awesome! That silhouette is especially gorgeous.

Bubbacub posted:

how do people get shots of owls in general?

Good job on your first(?) owl. A barred owl is not an easy owl to find during the daytime.

I can't speak for everyone, but I get my owl shots mostly by going out when it's ridiculously cold (-30C). They have to hunt 24/7 in those temps. Otherwise it's lots of driving at dawn or dusk to catch them as they are starting/finishing their day.

As for your flight shot question -- you know how people say "it's not the equipment, it's the photographer"? For flight shots it's actually the equipment. There's a real skill to tracking birds in flight for sure, but if your autofocus is too slow or inaccurate then your skill doesn't mean much.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Not to infect this thread with too much gear talk, but for a canon user on a budget does that mean a 7Dmk1 and/or 70D? (On a budget here means never mind the 5D3 or 7D2.) Would we think the 7XX Rebels have that kind of AF performance, too?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Not to infect this thread with too much gear talk, but for a canon user on a budget does that mean a 7Dmk1 and/or 70D? (On a budget here means never mind the 5D3 or 7D2.) Would we think the 7XX Rebels have that kind of AF performance, too?

My partner chose the 70d over the 7d based on it having a newer processor, and having slightly better high iso performance, and things like a touch screen and being a bit more modern. The 7d's extra autofocus modes aren't as useful for birds apparently. It was a close decision though, and I don't think you could go wrong with either.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Linedance posted:

I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Also, as someone who started in photography with the Rebel line, you are in for some frustration if you are after birds in flight with a Rebel.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Oh yeah I started with a 450D (in 2013!) and was done put off of the small VF and inconsistent AF, leading to a lot of missed focus shots. But I thought maybe the AF at least has gotten better as the years went by. Better qualitatively, not just more AF points.

The 7D is now old enough to be very cheap for a "pro" body. The 70D is better in pretty much every way (except viewfinder magnification) for about 1.5x the price, used. And that's about the same as a new, new Rebel. Just weighing my options, although I think the lack of AF micro adjustment on the Rebels kill them as an option even if they have much improved tracking.

Just so this post isn't all about gear, here's a Belted kingfisher in flight. It was very distant and this is heavily cropped. Manually focused at 1/1000, although the small aperture and long distance helped a lot with getting it in focus. 1/1000 should be fast enough to avoid motion blur even when panning, right?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

I guess Burrowing Owls are a little more obvious, but how do people get shots of owls in general?
Figuring out when the owls will be active and where roosts/hunting grounds are really helps. Short-eared Owls tend to tailor their schedule to fit vole activity and will both hunt and roost in tall grass. Long-eared Owls like patches of trees next to grassy areas and come out in the evening. Northern Saw-whet Owls like cedar trees and other conifers, and will often roost deep in the branches of these trees. People usually find them by looking for pellets underneath the trees.

Learning their calls can help you locate them, too. For advanced owling, imitating their calls (or playing back a high-quality recording) can get them to respond. People who do owl surveys have playback boxes full of recorded owl calls that they take out in the field so they can tally owls by sound at night.

A couple weeks ago, I realized I hadn't uploaded anything to National Geographic's Your Shot in a couple years, so I started putting up some of my more recent photos. Yesterday, one of my shots was published on their website (mine's the one with the flocking shorebirds).

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Kenshin posted:

That's awesome, congrats!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Moon Potato posted:

A couple weeks ago, I realized I hadn't uploaded anything to National Geographic's Your Shot in a couple years, so I started putting up some of my more recent photos. Yesterday, one of my shots was published on their website (mine's the one with the flocking shorebirds).

Congratulations! That's a fantastic shot.

I always feel lucky when a bird decides to perch on a downhill tree and I end up close to eye-level.
Red-tailed Hawk by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Finally got a few minutes to process my photos I took while I was working in Houston. I wouldn't want to live there, but I wouldn't mind going there three times a year like I did this year.

Black Vultures
by Josh, on Flickr

Eastern Bluebird Pair
by Josh, on Flickr

Tufted Titmouse with Acorn
by Josh, on Flickr

Stacked Caracaras
by Josh, on Flickr

Field Crested Caracara
by Josh, on Flick

Eastern Phoebe 2
by Josh, on Flick

Parking Lot Turnstone
by Josh, on Flick

American Oystercatchers
by Josh, on Flick

American Avocet
by Josh, on Flick

Black-Bellied Whistling Duck Group
by Josh, on Flick

Nelson's Sparrow
by Josh, on Flick

Nelson's Sparrow 2
by Josh, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The stack of caracaras and flock of whistling ducks made my day.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

This is great. Is that normal behavior for caracaras?

I went out to watch Peregrine Falcons hunt yesterday, but they ended up chasing the shorebirds way off in some inaccessible wetlands. A couple Northern Harriers made some passes at the shorebirds in Arcata Marsh though, including a male that's been having a lot of success with the sandpipers lately.

harrier-menacing by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The light was pretty dismal, but he flew right past me with his catch.

harrier-sandpiper by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

harrier-sandpiper2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 17, 2015

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I wonder what it would be like knowing that you're going to be torn apart and eaten alive in a couple of minutes?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Was hoping to spy a stoat during my lunch break to test out my new (old) Vivitar lens. No stoat, but some bird drama made it worthwhile:

Munchin' on Murre by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

"Can She See Me?" by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Unwelcome Dinner Guest by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Across the Table by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 19, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

Was hoping to spy a stoat during my lunch break to test out my new (old) Vivitar lens. No stoat, but some bird drama made it worthwhile:

Munchin' on Murre by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

"Can She See Me?" by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Unwelcome Dinner Guest by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Across the Table by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

I love this sequence. The way the baldy is eyeballing the magpie, and the magpie giving no fucks about the massive eagle is fantastic.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Agreed, the look on the Eagle's face is fantastic.

Also, which Vivitar did you get?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Linedance posted:

I love this sequence. The way the baldy is eyeballing the magpie, and the magpie giving no fucks about the massive eagle is fantastic.

ExecuDork posted:

Agreed, the look on the Eagle's face is fantastic.

Thanks for the feedback! I think this is the first time I've tried getting photos of a wild bird. :kiddo:

Watching the eagle and magpie have a stare-down over the murre was certainly a memorable moment.

-----

ExecuDork posted:

Also, which Vivitar did you get?

I'm a newbie to this whole thing, and I wanted to finally get a second lens. Last month I managed to snag a pristine Vivitar "Series 1" 70-210mm (Version 3 - Manufactured by Komine). I wanted a lens to start doing more wildlife, and it called to me.

That's what that eagle/magpie sequence was shot with, on an E-M5.

At the same time, I also snagged an equally pristine Kiron-made Vivitar 70-150mm and 2x matched multiplier. There's obviously quite a bit of overlap on these two lenses, so I'm not sure if I'll keep both, but I'm having fun testing them out.

The eagle/magpie sequence was my first time really seriously shooting with either Vivitar lens, but I didn't have the 70-150mm with me to compare. I'm hopeful I can do a comparison this week - of the 70-150mm, the 70-150mm w/ 2x multiplier, and the 70-210mm.

... and the 70-210mm w/ 2x multiplier :getin:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 20, 2015

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Merlin by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Pine Grosbeak by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
There were ~10 Pine Grosbeaks out today, only saw females though

American Robin by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
There were 3 or 4 robins too, was a bit surprised to see them out at this time of year

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Nice shots. Especially the Grosbeak. I got a photo of a female Blue grosbeak a few months back, but have yet to come across a male.

Winter is upon us in the rightside-up part of the world (no leaves!) and I'm pumped to start getting the photos of songbirds in trees that my gear hasn't been capable of reaching in previous winters.

And speaking of songbirds, how does the thread feel about feeder camping? Is it unsporting? I know obvious feeder shots will never have the same cachet as captures from the wild, but I'm strongly considering putting up some kind of attractive multi-seed feeding rig in my backyard and hopefully attract some of the harder to find small birds. My other main trepidation is the European swallow. Those fuckers have taken over feeders I've put out in the past. Maybe I'll just run suet and thistle socks and possibly some dried mealworms. That should attract a better variety than the plain seed mix I've used in the past.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Cooper's Hawk by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

And speaking of songbirds, how does the thread feel about feeder camping? Is it unsporting? I know obvious feeder shots will never have the same cachet as captures from the wild, but I'm strongly considering putting up some kind of attractive multi-seed feeding rig in my backyard and hopefully attract some of the harder to find small birds. My other main trepidation is the European swallow. Those fuckers have taken over feeders I've put out in the past. Maybe I'll just run suet and thistle socks and possibly some dried mealworms. That should attract a better variety than the plain seed mix I've used in the past.

I have zero problem with photographing feeder birds. Doesn't cross any ethical boundaries (unless you're doing something really weird) and the most non-sporting things I see photographers do are ethics related or just-being-an-rear end in a top hat related. Speaking of which, almost winter owl season!

edit: I'm assuming that you mean European sparrows (House Sparrows)? A swallow at a feeder would be pretty cool. I think your feed situation sounds good. I've had terrible luck with mixed bird seed. Most birds just discard the millet in favor of the little bits of sunflower, etc. I've had very good luck with black-oil sunflower seeds, but you may attract undesirable birds where you are (Grackles?).

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 22, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Alehkhs posted:

Last month I managed to snag a pristine Vivitar "Series 1" 70-210mm (Version 3 - Manufactured by Komine)

Well done! That's exactly the lens recommended the most highly from that brand. I have a V4 and it's craptacular, your Komine should be - and appears to be - fantastic.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

You mean "European Sparrow", right?

They're common as dirt in anything resembling an urban area, and they can be so bold as to seem positively domestic. That said, I like them a lot, and I see nothing wrong with feeding birds.

Seconding the question about your location - where you are matters a whole bunch for what you can expect at your feeder (besides Euro Sparrows).

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Fantail in the garden

fantail by Marc, on Flickr

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'll echo BOE that in general there's nothing wrong with photographing birds at feeders. With good fieldcraft the birds won't be disturbed, the feeders themselves aren't photogenic so the aim is to find angles where they've not visible, and you need to be honest about the process (either pre-emptive disclosure or responding truthfully when asked, depending on the situation).

There's the wider ethical issue of feeding animals, be it for photography or not, which need to be considered. Some people lean towards a blanket no, others seem to have no scruples about any feeding (as per BOE's owl comment) and I join many in the middle. IMO every situation needs to be viewed on it's own merits; are you harming the subject, is it bad for the species as a whole, is unfair to whatever it being used as bait, and is it environmentally sound. Those who feed the snowy owls can do so in a way that is bad for the individual bird by getting them to associate cars with food, and by being unfair to the live mouse that is thrust in to an alien and hostile environment only to be killed seconds late.

With garden feeders, the main issue is poor hygiene that helps spread diseases that are having significant effects on some species. However, some have also made the argument the environmental cost of the amount of land and energy set aside to growing bird food is greater than the gain in the garden.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

poo poo, of course yes I mean sparrows. God, why do I make these stupid bird name substitutions when I post late at night? (See the wood duck labeled mandarin duck in my previous post)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Apparently house sparrows really don't like the look of monofilament fishing line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSVOajB2OmM
All the other garden birds aren't bothered. The other birds will also chuck and spill plenty of seeds on the ground for the sparrows and doves to clean up and get fed.
When I was living in London, we went through several iterations of window feeder and got tons of awesome birds visiting. I can recommend Squirrel Buster brand as the most effective at deterring squirrels and bigger birds (with some minor modifications).

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Apologies for the long post, I'm playing catch-up.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Finally got a few minutes to process my photos I took while I was working in Houston. I wouldn't want to live there, but I wouldn't mind going there three times a year like I did this year.

Stacked Caracaras
by Josh, on Flickr
drat dude, phenomenal set! The stacked Caracaras is great -- I love how it looks like the back one is actually on the back of the other.

Moon Potato posted:

I went out to watch Peregrine Falcons hunt yesterday, but they ended up chasing the shorebirds way off in some inaccessible wetlands. A couple Northern Harriers made some passes at the shorebirds in Arcata Marsh though, including a male that's been having a lot of success with the sandpipers lately.

harrier-menacing by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The light was pretty dismal, but he flew right past me with his catch.

harrier-sandpiper by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
I love that first shot. Great job on the flyby too. I've never seen harriers hunt shorebirds before. The ones around here seem to go after voles the majority of the time, although the shorebirds do flush when the harrier goes overhead.

neckbeard posted:

American Robin by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
There were 3 or 4 robins too, was a bit surprised to see them out at this time of year
Nice set. I haven't been out much this winter but it does look like a good winter for Grosbeaks in Edmonton. As for Robins, there is a significant population that isn't migrating any more. Last winter there was a good population of them in Hermitage Park, and they were observed eating minnows out of the tiny spot of open water there so I guess they have adapted to the conditions.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I think the only ethical issue with putting up a feeder for photography is if you stop filling it, especially during winter. Shots of birds at a feeder are not something to aim for, but just put a perch or two around the feeder and get them on that. As for sparrows, I don't mind them at my feeder since I'm hoping to lure in the nearby Merlin. They are complete dicks though and having a secondary feeder that has different feed is a good idea.

Raikyn posted:

Fantail in the garden

fantail by Marc, on Flickr
Nice shot. So sharp!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Has anyone heard about or seen this new 200-500mm f5.6 Nikkor lens with IS? I just found out about it from my partner. Looks mighty impressive!

That fantail is cute as heck btw

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

InternetJunky posted:

Nice set. I haven't been out much this winter but it does look like a good winter for Grosbeaks in Edmonton. As for Robins, there is a significant population that isn't migrating any more. Last winter there was a good population of them in Hermitage Park, and they were observed eating minnows out of the tiny spot of open water there so I guess they have adapted to the conditions.

Thanks. Went back to Hawrelak today, only saw female Grosbeaks. Spent some time at the grain terminal, was hoping to see the Peregrine that's still hanging around, but it wasn't out while I was there. This Gyrfalcon has some damage to one of the feathers on it's right wing, so it will be easy to tell apart from the others over the winter. It wasn't hunting with any real urgency this afternoon, leading to some speculation that it had hunted successfully in the morning. No Prairie Falcon yet though

Gyrfalcon by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

closest to a strike we saw this afternoon

I'm pleased that I nailed the focus, but I think it might have looked better with a shallower DoF, shot this at f/9

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Awesome falcon shots, neckbeard. The Peregrine Falcon I was watching this afternoon just had two aborted attempts at chasing ducks before leaving to hunt elsewhere.

Peregrine-Chase2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

After recent rains, small flowering plants are coming up next to the trails, and this Anna's Hummingbird was loving it.

hummingbird-flower (1) by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

hummingbird-hover by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

More harriers are showing up at Arcata Marsh now. A second male and a second Adult female have arrived, and the females are constantly having little scuffles.

harrier-chase2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The new male seems adept at hunting shorebirds, too.

grey-ghost-meal by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

InternetJunky posted:

I love that first shot. Great job on the flyby too. I've never seen harriers hunt shorebirds before. The ones around here seem to go after voles the majority of the time, although the shorebirds do flush when the harrier goes overhead.
Thanks. From what I've seen, it's mostly the males that have success hunting shorebirds, since they're a bit smaller and zipper than the females. I've only seen a female eating a shorebird once, and what I thought was a mangled curlew could have been a small duck.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So many amazing shots on this page. I especially love the eagle & magpie sequence.

I've been quite busy and when I've had time the weather hasn't cooperated, but I finally had both the time and weather. My Tamron 150-600mm is out for warranty repair, so these are all with my older Sigma 120-400mm. I hadn't really used it with my D7200 very much and I'm pretty pleased with how well it worked (the year I was using the Sigma heavily I was using a D3200).

golden-crowned sparrow eating a berry. Lots of the small birds eat these berries all winter long in Discovery Park.

Dark-eyed junco posing on an evergreen

Anna's hummingbird in just-above-freezing weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

The nice thing about taking 1000s of pictures is that it's great to go back in to your collection a few years later and find some stuff you missed. Here's an owl shot from 2012 I found this morning:

neckbeard posted:

I'm pleased that I nailed the focus, but I think it might have looked better with a shallower DoF, shot this at f/9
Good job on the falcons. As someone who has 100 pictures with a shallow DoF of the scene above, I have to say I much prefer your version.

I really need to get out to the terminal before the weather really gets too much colder.

Moon Potato posted:

The new male seems adept at hunting shorebirds, too.

grey-ghost-meal by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
Great set, but this one really is spectacular.

Kenshin posted:

Dark-eyed junco posing on an evergreen
I like your crop choice on this. I wish I could get a junco in a photo that doesn't have a feeder in it as well.