Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
They talked about this a couple times after it aired but I never remembered the original bit, and I just stumbled upon it during some relistening: True Detective a.k.a. That Time Seth Was Wrong About TV

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Does anyone have a link to a news story or anything about the older guy loving the 29-year-old posing as a 12-year-old while his buddy from jail stays in the attic? I just revisited it on episode 48 (I know they mention it again later on, can't remember when) and it's the most insane story I've heard on the show.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

bvoid posted:

Does anyone have a link to a news story or anything about the older guy loving the 29-year-old posing as a 12-year-old while his buddy from jail stays in the attic? I just revisited it on episode 48 (I know they mention it again later on, can't remember when) and it's the most insane story I've heard on the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udw33Zy_3-w

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

I could have sworn they went back and revisited it later on. I remember them were poking fun at the fact that his name was close to Matthew Broderick. Maybe I'm mixing up stories.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Did Seth ever explain why he used to pretend he was mute while eating lunch at his favorite restaurant ? That was one of my all time favorite stories from their very early years.

Somewhere around episode 80 Seth goes on a rant about Blockbuster and how he was fed up with the cashiers incompetence that he was going to resort to the "that pen and paper only thing"

GhostDog posted:

They talked about this a couple times after it aired but I never remembered the original bit, and I just stumbled upon it during some relistening: True Detective a.k.a. That Time Seth Was Wrong About TV

I called the VM about this one maybe a ago and got a 5 minute slow paced rant from Seth (left on my VM) explaining his reasoning for thinking it would suck and that he's allowed to get 1 thing wrong then something about getting off his back. It was pretty funny.

edit: On Seth's Clips #23 @ 13:14 what am I supposed to be looking at?

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 17, 2015

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot

96 spacejam posted:

I called the VM about this one maybe a ago and got a 5 minute slow paced rant from Seth (left on my VM) explaining his reasoning for thinking it would suck and that he's allowed to get 1 thing wrong then something about getting off his back. It was pretty funny.

I'd love to hear this if you still have it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

96 spacejam posted:

Please tell me you still have this.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

GhostDog posted:

I would love a clip of seth discussing how he was wrong but he wont get loving fooled after hearing about the s2 cast if anyone gets really bored :)

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

GhostDog posted:

Please tell me you still have this.

I've saved all my Seth voicemails from over the years, I'll upload it when I get home this evening.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

96 spacejam posted:

I've saved all my Seth voicemails from over the years, I'll upload it when I get home this evening.

Use them to start a rival Sethcast and collect Patreon dollars.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Anyone know which episode they talked about the Chinese guy who created a fake US Army unit and tricked immigrants into joining?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I wish I still had my Seth voicemail declining an invitation to my wedding I sent as a joke. That was a Great Voicemail.

My brother still has the one he got from Seth after drunk dialing his home number. Seth called him a Herdda Hadda.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

GhostDog posted:

Seth was still right, even if he was wrong. :colbert:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Better get those voicemails up soon. We're gonna need something to tide us over cause who loving knows when we're going to be getting new episodes again.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I look forward to many more skype episodes with poor audio quality and dropped connections.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
skype owned a lot all things considered

but uhh, patreon has really taken quite the dip, almost at 10k

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Jah's jaunt probably caused an awful lot of people to wonder why they aren't taking their own trip to Europe who then took a good long look at their monthly CC statement and the realization hit them. It was never a good thing to announce they were quitting their jobs, it was an even worse thing for one half of the team to punch out and loudly take a sabbatical. It was incredibly dumb to do it in the middle of another merch gently caress up.

The boys really should have got a business manager shortly after the HBO episodes were filmed and they were in the single digit chart-places of itunes popularity. Like that guy who turned Penny-Arcade into a multi million dollar thing but managed to keep the creative duo focused on just putting out their three comic strips a week.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 18, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i know when I think about uhh yeah dude and what I like about it, I'd definitely want it to be more like Penny Arcade

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kind of feel like anything work related is anathema to Jonathan and any real attempt to monetize the show or get the guys some money coming in would result in him dipping out pretty quickly. As long as it's something he just does it's fine, but once it becomes an obligation he's gonna resent it.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
You guys going to UYX East?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caper posted:

Yeah man just be cool and let poo poo slide hth

why not

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Get Dan Fielding on the phone, take these fools to task over the merch fuckups

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

CortezFantastic posted:

skype owned a lot all things considered

but uhh, patreon has really taken quite the dip, almost at 10k

I went to the Patreon this morning and it said 11.9k, then I looked when I saw your post and it was 10.2k. I refreshed the page and it went back to 11.9k. I just opened it again and it says 10.2k. :tinfoil:

Lost 53 patrons according to my haunted browser.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
probably lost some of the crazy $200 a month weirdos

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I dont understand people who complain about merch and punctuation and '''''''competence''''' when it comes to UYD.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
i would imagine a lot of people who expect some sort of competency are newer listeners

i only started listening in 2011 and there has been four times merch has gone up and was never spoken of again, real sad i missed that sailor shirt tho

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Actually guys, Patreon are posting their numbers differently now. The total you used to see was pre-patreon fees, and pre-CC fees... that's a post-fee number. Everyone's patreon money 'dipped' this month. Not just the boys! So don't worry about that...

Jonathan just going to Europe and extending his vacation though...ouch...

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Wonder how Seth feels about Jonathan's extended vacation. And how does Seth spend his time now that he doesn't have the weed store job? More tv? Auditioning for tv/film roles after he got another taste of it thanks to Maron?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

staring at the patreon page repeating "Money money money money money!" to himself

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

He's got his bank account open in one tab, and a picture of a chevy silverado in another tab. just clicking back and forth

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

Oh yeah I just let that go lol. But now it seems like people are reacting to the lack/scarceness of new eps!!

CortezFantastic posted:

i would imagine a lot of people who expect some sort of competency are newer listeners

i only started listening in 2011 and there has been four times merch has gone up and was never spoken of again, real sad i missed that sailor shirt tho

Yeah merch is a game of roulette with UYD but god damnit I want some new freaking eps!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Matey posted:

He's got his bank account open in one tab, and a picture of a chevy silverado in another tab. just clicking back and forth

Seth will never replace the Sundance.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
(Not mine).

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009

Jippa posted:

(Not mine).

That's pretty much how mine looked. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to get envelopes like that.

Jah said he was going to send me another one. I'll believe it when I see it.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

f-tron posted:

That's pretty much how mine looked. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to get envelopes like that.

Jah said he was going to send me another one. I'll believe it when I see it.

Handwritten, basic envelope. I loving love it. Let's give more to the Patreon everyone so that Jah can take more vacations and Seth and/or Jesus can write out more envelopes.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
To be clear, I totally think it was lovely of Jonathan to take a European vacation so soon after the Patreon. BUT, I didn't think he was "extending his vacation" so much as "not using an airport so soon after a terrorist attack." Am I wrong?

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Binowru posted:

To be clear, I totally think it was lovely of Jonathan to take a European vacation so soon after the Patreon. BUT, I didn't think he was "extending his vacation" so much as "not using an airport so soon after a terrorist attack." Am I wrong?

The skypecast was recorded almost two weeks ago on November 6th, were there attacks previous to Paris? I'm stupid so I don't know

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Binowru posted:

He had mentioned staying longer..which was before the Paris thing? That might be his reasoning stay even longer though? I could be totally wrong, who actually knows.

edit:

Lord Wexia posted:

Handwritten, basic envelope. I loving love it. Let's give more to the Patreon everyone so that Jah can take more vacations and Seth and/or Jesus can write out more envelopes.

I mean this is 100% the level I expected, when giving to their Patreon...it's kind of awesome when ones expectations are met so perfectly..in a way...

(I still kinda want that flash drive though.. not holding my breath.)

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 19, 2015

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
I'm torn on the whole thing. On one hand, yeah this is exactly what you would expect from our ragtag duo of pioneering podcasters. On the other, the boys seemed poised to take their game to the next level and focus on making their podcasting hobby a profession. From their appeal, they sounded hungry for success.

Then success hit and it seems to have floundered. I get the impression that Seth is dedicated to fulfilling promises and producing quality content, but that he is so opposed to joining the 21st century that he doesn't have the capacity to make any of that happen. He's relying on an unreliable hippie (with lovable baby blues) to do that for him.

My take is, if we see some great podcasting and/or other benefits over the next couple of months, then I'll keep pledging. If not, I'll probably stop paying something for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not torn, who cares