Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

coronatae posted:

Nnnnnnope. Maybe it's still too early to say but I think the serial killer party was the high point of the season. It was stupid and hilarious and amazing all at once.

I'm too lazy to check right now but was Sally still technically on hotel grounds when she picked up that guy for the serial killers? Chronologically that's before Halloween, which Murder House established as the one night ghosts can roam. But March said the night of his party was Devil's Night? So maybe that gives her some kind of special permission.

I thought Devil's Night was the night they could roam, hence why all the ghosts of the serial killers could show up in the first place. Being late at night, I guess it could be the crossover between the two nights at midnight.

Although where was Sally coming from that she couldn't get back into the hotel during Drake's fashion show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
"Valentino" has a really lame accent. He sounds like Adam Sandler.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Please make Alexandra Daddario a series regular.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
I thoroughly enjoyed Evan Peters' line delivery of "It's just a hobo."

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
The Evan Peters stuff is the strongest part of this season so far.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
For the love of God, March!

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Good lord this show is good when it does period work. All that scenery and characterization and actual plot. Makes you wish they'd never do anything set in present day.

And good lord this show lays it on thick. Valentino's death immediately makes Gaga look to leap to her own. Ren's father wants to bed her when she's old enough, so she thinks staying in a hot car is a blessing if it kills her. Every time something like this comes up, I just picture those bees in that car two seasons ago. I can only assume Gaga walking in on March and being totally cool with the slaughter happened after they infected her. It sure didn't seem that way though.

It's such a strange dichotomy, to go from naive little brown-haired Gaga catching the eye of both a Hollywood power couple and one of the richest men in the nation, to seeing Locke instantly connect with this random girl in a psychiatric hospital over a conversation about food and her dad.

Also, good lord this show is a mess. How many plots are we up to? We meet Gaga's vampiric son and Hollywood lovers in the span of two episodes. With all these new characters, I guess the true answer to how you stretch this one out is to shove as many people into it as you can. Bets on if we'll ever see those two again? Maybe running a daycare full of the classroom vamps?

Anyway, this was a good episode. I'm sure in two weeks it'll be a bad one.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That was actually a really good episode and it certainly stands out in the season as the most significant plot line so far. All the ancillary plots like Liz and Kathy Bates and Angela Basset and the Swedish girls and all that poo poo are predictably useless episode filler.

So the real plot line of this story goes like this:

Lady Gaga goes to Hollywood. She meets up with a hunky actor who she falls in love with. She believes he's dead so she marries the psycho owner of the Hotel Cortez which has the similar "if you die here you stay here forever" schtick of season 1. He's actually got the blood virus, he gives it to her, she goes to a train station to wait for them for some reason instead of just running off immediately, they also March for some reason and end up getting locked up. So we can infer from how they looked after being unearthed that the dildo-ghost from the first episode are just thralls that don't get blood for a while. Lady Gaga has attachment issues so she falls in love with dudes who look like Valentino, hence the Dandy playing two characters this season, and also cares about kids and poo poo so she vamps them up too.

This is all predictably leading to the detective being the ten commandments killer.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Why does this show have to get my hopes up with poo poo like "vampires who have been entombed for 90 years accidentally getting released by a construction crew"? So glad Marsh came back to be even more irredeemably evil and man do they have too many characters that they're spreading thin as gently caress. I was disappointed that Tristan died but am now overjoyed he came back in some capacity. Good episode and I just like how Copman has started running head-on into crazytown because it's doing a lot more for his character than anything else has so far.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CynCyanide posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed Evan Peters' line delivery of "It's just a hobo."

That made us all crack up here.

I like this season. It's not perfect but it's pretty coherent, energetic, and with some entertaining as hell characters in the mix. It's not the pile-of-what-the-gently caress Coven was or the snoozefest Aslyum was.

Then again, the type of show it is means they can hit the reset button anytime they feel like it and if a season blows they can just eject it next time. You can't do lasting damage to a show that reboots itself. At the very least, while it definitely is goofy as hell, I'm not constantly going "What the gently caress!?" or falling asleep.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 19, 2015

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Gaga / Valentino / March storyline in this episode is so good it makes the already mediocre Cop storyline even worse, thanks AHS.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The Gaga / Valentino / March storyline in this episode is so good it makes the already mediocre Cop storyline even worse, thanks AHS.

They really just need to pull the reveal I'm the cop story line already. It's either him or some other character they're going to pull out their asses and it's time to get it moving.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
The "he's the killer all along" thing is so obvious and unoriginal that they should have done that reveal ages ago.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah I had my doubts that they were going to go there but they made it painfully obvious in this episode with the girl all but telling him directly to his face that he's the killer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna lol when it turns out he's not the killer.

Maybe I'm going face-blind but it took me a really long time to realize that was Gaga in the flashback. I guess that's a credit to her acting?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's AHS so you never know if they're going to do some predictable thing like Cop being the TCK or pull something completely random out of their rear end at the last moment. Or just forget about the TCK entirely because something more exciting came up.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The TCK is an alien, dudes. Sorry to disappoint.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It's going to be the Drilldo Ghost, who as it turns out is the namesake of the hotel, Cortez.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Edmund Lava posted:

They really just need to pull the reveal I'm the cop story line already. It's either him or some other character they're going to pull out their asses and it's time to get it moving.

His whole plot has been about breaking him.

My prediction: They reveal he's the killer and make him go absolutely insane, shattering all sanity left.

.... then before the credits roll we see no, he wasn't the killer at all, but convincing him he was broke his mind. This has been a recurring thing with the character. He might even take the legal blame for ALL the Cortez's deaths before it's through. But I think they're going to double-twist his guilt.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Gaga looked so much more like an actual person in those flashbacks I didn't realize it was her either.

Normally she looks like an alien shark person.

Feenix posted:

Disappoint?

If it turns out the killer is an alien obsessed with Earth religions I'd laugh my rear end off but totally be on board. Bat poo poo insanity is what I'm here for at this point, crank it up to 12.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 19, 2015

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Feenix posted:

The TCK is the next Supreme.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
It's the eyebrows. All along she's been going with white blond invisible eyebrows and all of a sudden they're drawn on in black. It's like the way a baby looks like an old man if you sharpie on some eyebrows.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

hepscat posted:

It's the eyebrows. All along she's been going with white blond invisible eyebrows and all of a sudden they're drawn on in black. It's like the way a baby looks like an old man if you sharpie on some eyebrows.

Agreed. It limits a performers ability to emote when you can't see their eyebrows. Which is why shows like Game of Thrones will case brunettes and throw wigs on them.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Feenix posted:

No, Fargo's the one with aliens this year.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I enjoyed Kathy Bates telling me Lady Gaga was attempting to portray the emotion "scared" when they found the opened corridor.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm really glad this episode happened because I hated last weeks episode. There's a lot of backstory that tells us a lot about the plot now. The countess makes a bit more sense now. She was "left" at the train station and now it's a little more clear why she "doesn't share" and all that jazz.

I'm glad there's more to Mr March than just being the creepy guy who owned the hotel, and I like where it's going with connecting him to the countess.

I still HATE the detectives acting but even his storyline was more interesting this week, and he's slowly going mad which I'm curious now to see where it goes.

This season is a bit messy but it's recovering pretty well. *crosses fingers for a good ending*

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

sebzilla posted:

I enjoyed Kathy Bates telling me Lady Gaga was attempting to portray the emotion "scared" when they found the opened corridor.

She was emoting pretty well there, sorry for your face blindness or whatever.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I was going to suggest Drake's kid as the TCK, but those hands were pretty clearly adult ones in the TV station. Of course, Drake himself wouldn't be a complete disappointment.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
It's been a while since I've been here. Would I be wrong in assuming this season's Big Brother: Ghost Edition?

Is it on par with season 4? Better? Worse?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Haven't had a chance to watch the new episode yet but I'm liking the positive commentary here. For anyone who might be interested, horror-comedy podcast The Last Podcast on the Left is currently covering the life and crimes of H.H. Holmes, the basis for James March. Also a fun podcast if you're generally into spooky poo poo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MrSlam posted:

It's been a while since I've been here. Would I be wrong in assuming this season's Big Brother: Ghost Edition?

Better than 4, not as good as 2 (but what could be).

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Edmund Lava posted:

Agreed. It limits a performers ability to emote when you can't see their eyebrows. Which is why shows like Game of Thrones will case brunettes and throw wigs on them.

Do we really lack the technology to dye eyebrows?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sebzilla posted:

How the gently caress are two skilled renovators going to go missing without a union boss or a contractor getting royally pissed off?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Doltos posted:

How the gently caress are two skilled renovators going to go missing without a union boss or a contractor getting royally pissed off?

The same way an entire classroom of uninhibited child vampires is going to just fade into the Los Angeles ether.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Oh that was so much fun! They summed up March and the Countess quite nicely but I would love a soap opera with just them: the vampire, the serial killer, and the lovestruck maid.

Way back when Gaga said that they could die by stakes or w/e but only because those would kill normal humans too. So I guess we're done with little vampire girl. God I loved Gaga's 80's hair in that scene.

E: thinking back on everything we see her wearing in the present, the 20's/art deco influence on Gaga's outfits is screamingly obvious. It gives her a timeless look in the present but is, of course, a throwback to when she was first turned.

coronatae fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 20, 2015

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Christ that cop is awful. He's definitely the killer, it's horribly obvious. That vamp kid should have just killed him and ended this terrible storyline.

Quite sad to see the poor Real Estate Agent from Season 1 died.

Overall I am loving this season. It's equal to murderhouse right now. Asylum of course, is still #1

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MrSlam posted:

Way better than 4. Stuff is happening. Things are moving forwards. It's not stuck in neutral.

It's also not incoherent like 3. Yeah there's lots of crazy poo poo but characters aren't flipping a 180 every 30 seconds, either.

As others mentioned it's not quite Aslyum, but it's easily as good as Murderhouse. A worthwhile season so far.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Christ that cop is awful. He's definitely the killer, it's horribly obvious. That vamp kid should have just killed him and ended this terrible storyline.

No cop you are the demons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3LKadZ4LFU&spfreload=10

ED: Then again if this season ends exactly like this starting with "he blew up the wall" I will give a standing ovation

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 20, 2015

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013
Overall an excellent season. There's only a couple things that bothered me but considering there's been many hours of content a couple things is not that many.
I'm a little annoyed with the Marcy thing, if only because it feels like there should have been more ceremony to it? But am interested in the characters that did it.
The time skip only slightly bothered me. I see practical reasons to it-- in particular, Iris's & Alex's conversions. I don't want to sit around watching them get the hang of it when there's only 13 episodes to work with, I want that to speed along and see the fruits of them changed are. So I'm AOK with that... for now.

The part of the time skip that bothered me was Tristan and Liz. And that wouldn't have bothered me if they did foreshadowing. And I'm really not that picky; something as simple as Liz raising an eyebrow at Tristan during one of his fashion shows would have been sufficient. But nope. Out of no where.

Other than that, I've been entertained. There's storylines all over the place, they're goofy B Movie retarded that's fun to laugh at, some of it is high quality, and there's lots of interconnected aspects to it. Even the "I don't share" part which seemed to be a quirk makes perfect sense now because of the other night, which is why I kind of refuse to judge anything too early right now as a result.

The only thing based on current plots that has the potential to bother me in the future is the Serial Killer arc. I'll wait until its conclusion. It seems obvious its the Detective. When he was invited to the Serial Killer convention (srsly) and the Owner was annoyed that Sally pulled the detective out my BF was like "Killer", "Really?", and the only episodes made it more and more obvious to practically the little girl screaming it at audiences. Which makes me start to think that they're setting it up to be too obvious. Or maybe they really are setting it up for the lowest common denominator. But considering this is the same series that had Violet dead for many episodes only to do a pretty drat good reveal that expectations were incorrect, I'm trying so hard to give benefit of the doubt. Especially since this seems to be early season quality.

Also after seeing Gaga during her flashbacks and at the dinner table, am content with her as an actress. Cold and distant power-chick was a one note tune, but that was the entire point/status of the character. If you're reading your lines and playing your character, its hardly your fault that you do anything more. But the past scenes let her express a whole sleuth of ranges and she did great.

Better than some of the Detective's expressions. I think people exaggerate with him, but he does some strange things with his upper forehead during some of his expressions.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Andrew_1985 posted:

A bunch of my friends didn't make the connection even after this episode. I can't understand it, there's so many loving clues.

- Marsh invites him to an exclusive party for serial killers

- The Swedish twins say he looks crazy.

- His kid gets vamped up just like the rest of the kids who get vamped up because their dads are psychopaths.

- He's the only living non-employee of the hotel that keeps going in and leaving (other than interior design guy, but we all know he's going to die) the hotel.

I mean really all you really needed to know was that Marsh invited him to an exclusive party for serial killers. Pretty much full stops right there.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I know one of the main complaints in this show is "stuff comes out of nowhere" but I......kind of want there to be a more interesting twist than him being the killer. I don't even really care that much about that arc and I know im giving Murphy WAY too much credit, but I hope he somehow makes the twist and that arc actually interesting somehow. Now that we know more information about the countess etc. maybe later in the season it all ties in somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Horror would be cool to see. I think they keep forgetting the name of the show.

• Locked thread