Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
As my Bayern Class Battleship just found out, there is a Medal for surviving with less than 20% durability while having dealt more than 30% of your teams damage, "unsinkable". :black101:

e: donated some more, but currently am a bit low on cash as I just bought a bunch of boats and upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Why vision upgrades are important.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

That's why all my DD, CL and CA get a Rangefinder and why most of my killboats have Nakayama Arashi on the Comm Slot for 500 additional scouting range all the time and a 60% chance for an additional 300 in case I'm under attack (I guess that means getting hit).

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Camo info from the chinese sites
http://bbs.hz.changyou.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=140077

If you played world of tanks, this is going to be familiar to you.

Every ship class has a hidden stealth modifier. The smaller the ship the better the modifier.
Moving and shooting makes you more visible.
All planes have the same vision range which is then modified heavily.
Camo bushes from world of tanks are now the smoke bombs and natural fog on maps.
It takes 5 seconds for you to run out of sight for you to be hidden.

submarines that run deep and stop moving are completely invisible

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Feindfeuer posted:

As my Bayern Class Battleship just found out, there is a Medal for surviving with less than 20% durability while having dealt more than 30% of your teams damage, "unsinkable". :black101:

e: donated some more, but currently am a bit low on cash as I just bought a bunch of boats and upgrades.

There's also one for getting 5 kills and taking no damage. "Woundless Hero" or something like that. It's a rhino.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Third World Reggin posted:

submarines that run deep and stop moving are completely invisible

Someone tried to do this to me today, while my Mahan was directly over them. I just dropped three loads of depth charges on them and sunk them.

It is astounding how many players want to stand stock still as battleships. I put a load of torps into one which was stationary at max range. They moved about 0.5 km and stopped again for a full minute, which let me reload and send another full load into them. Even 1/4 movement makes torp shots quite a bit harder.

Bonus tip: Submerged subs are by far the slowest thing in the game. If there's one creeping up on your carrier or battleship you can just run away and they can't possibly catch you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ok, so I guess I'll take the plunge and give this game a go. Now do I play :911: or :hitler:.

On one hand, the Admiral Hipper Class Prinz Eugen is my favorite naval ship of WW2, on the other hand, American pre-dreadnought ships have those lovely paintjobs and well, :911:.

Too bad :britain: ships aren't in, or I'd go with them.

[edit] Applied as GalagaGalaxian.

Also, is there no Great White fleet paintjob for the early US battleships? Have I been lied to? :911:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 19, 2015

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

There is a premium BB-18 Connecticut that you get for buying half a year of premium. It comes with the great white fleet paintjob by default and you can't change it (but why would you want to change that anyway?).

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
Man, it starts being a bummer when you get to tier 4 and the game turns into 4v4 deathmatch.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The population isn't big enough yet but thankfully the deathmatches don't require 21 kills when it is 4v4

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Flagship mode has been my favorite so far.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I noticed there was a "Flagship" slot. What is flagship mode?

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I noticed there was a "Flagship" slot. What is flagship mode?

a ship from each team gets selected to be the flagship, if you destroy the enemy flagship and protect yours for 5 mins then you win. It's really fun

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Flagship mode was one of the few things that NF did right.

kalven
Feb 17, 2006
Are they going to start a EU server? And if so will I be able to use/transfer my char there?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

kalven posted:

Are they going to start a EU server? And if so will I be able to use/transfer my char there?

I doubt there are enough Players to support an EU and a NA Server. While my ping often goes up to 200 or even 300 the game still is very playable from central europe. Just lead a bit more.

E: :argh: phone posting

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 19, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Pushing allied subs to 30 knots to get to the other side fast is a valid strategy.

kalven
Feb 17, 2006

Feindfeuer posted:

I doubt there are enough Players to support an EU and a NA Server. White my ping often goes up to 200 or even 300 the game still is very playable from central europe. Just lead a bit more.

Yeah the game plays just fine for me even with the high ping but i was just unsure if i wanted to throw any money at it.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Northern Europe here, playing this with no problems whatsoever.

black hold
Jan 30, 2015
just applied to the fleet under blackhold

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.
Applied to fleet as MrFahrenheit.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

black hold posted:

just applied to the fleet under blackhold

We must have missed yours. Resend it when you can.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I am heavy handed with the clear all button :shobon:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I get the feeling that the dive bomber target circle is not actually how far spread the bombs can be, so the aiming time stat might not be as important as it may seem at first glance for dive bombers. Or at least, I think it might be on some kind of bell curve where center shots happen way more often than edge shots, unlike with a battleship.

Also using my extensive 3-4 hours of CV time, I'm getting the feeling that US vs Japense CVs is pretty balanced so far. Planes getting shot down is a real problem, and Japanese planes are a lot less durable plus the US CVs carry a lot more planes. Japanese planes are more accurate and have significantly shorter torpedo arming times, but you can more readily let your planes fly around until targets present themselves with US. Japanese have much better torpedo bombers since even aside from getting more torp damage and shorter arming, turning is such a huge deal for them due to the runup which their planes are better at. But dive bombers (which the US gets more damage with) need no runup and can be rapidly retargeted at the last second without having to take a second pass (and thus not risk losing the whole wing to AA when sometimes it's hard to even get the first pass). US CVs are worse at sinking subs due to weaker torp bombers, but they're also smaller and much faster which makes them harder to hit with battleships and are fast enough to reliably zip away from any subs. Japanese CVs have more durability, but can't run from a battleship or sub.

It remains to be seen whether dive bombers are flat better/worse than torp bombers, but overall so far I'm thinking that neither is a particularly bad choice. One thing is sure though, if you want to torp bomb, go Japanese. If you want to dive bomb, go US.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 19, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

By the way, I don't suppose this thing can use the steam wallet, since its on steam? I might throw a modest bit of money at it, and I've already got some cash sitting in my steam wallet.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 19, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Steam wallet works.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cool, thanks for the answer.

I'll play a bit more to see if I really want to take a plunge, but the growth plan seems to provide a good amount of funbucks and thanks to that double bonus you can get it for only $13+change, which isn't really bad at all. Can potentially use that growthplan bucks to pick up the 180 day premium time (+ free battleship, does it get a free ship slot to go with it?) and have enough gold leftover to snag a few ship slots/officers, I dunno.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Just realized we should of named the guild [Loose Lips]

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Guild is full. If I kick a goon they can't come back for 7 days.

We have 50 people and need 5,000,000 silver to level up. We currently have 2,800,000 silver.

2,200,000 silver between 50 people is 440,000 silver each. A good half of the goons have donated nothing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I assume silver flows a lot more readily at higher tiers? I'm making like 10k a match at Tier 2. Still I'll see what I can pitch in when I log in later.

By the way on the build thing, does that "Duration 60 minutes" mean this bonus starts counting down right after I click build? If so I guess it might be best to wait to do it until there is a decent number of people online?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Applied under IllegalUsername, will donate when i get some seabux.

How do i avoid getting dunked on my battleships when playing cruisers? I always seem to be the sole cruiser in a battleship heavy game.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I haven't had 440k total yet i don't think.

Illegal Username posted:

How do i avoid getting dunked on my battleships when playing cruisers? I always seem to be the sole cruiser in a battleship heavy game.
Battleships kill cruisers. Especially heavy ones. That's how it works.

E: More helpfully, don't stop moving and changing which way you turn.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 19, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You can spot a BB a bit farther away than they can spot you as a cruiser.

But your main goal is to kill DDs so your DDs can act as spotters. You are also back up AA and sub hunter.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Also to give an idea, tier 5 ships are about 500,000 silver. The money does increase as you get better and higher tiered.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

By the way there is/was a Navyfield 2 which was bad and relatively unfun so maybe this isn't the best subtitle.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Kylra posted:

Battleships kill cruisers. Especially heavy ones. That's how it works.

E: More helpfully, don't stop moving and changing which way you turn.
So basically act as a screen for friendly battleships? With the normal force distribution i keep feeling like a destroyer but shittier.

(play destroyers)

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

You destroy destroyers, basically.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Regarding the upcoming British ships, I hope their later tier DDs get Hedgehog launchers.

:getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

No matter how hard you try, some teams are just determined to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah maybe my playstyle fits destroyers better.

• Locked thread