Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Barnsy posted:

So, about 4 years and they've built ONE station? Weren't there supposed to be dozens of different kinds?

To be fair, even if it takes a long time to build one of something but the assets/code is modular and reusable, it's easier to build a lot more of that something with some variation.

Edit: I suspect a lot of what exists in this alpha 2.0 space station is lifted from the Shubin mining station they've been working on for what seems like forever now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Bootcha posted:

Consider this my public statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-oHfJNrr0

I, under the name "Bootcha", an investor with Cloud Imperium Games from Nov 13, 2012 till today, have decided to part ways with Cloud Imperium Games. As such, my investment has been returned to me, as is, with no accumulated interest. I no longer have any remaining business, legal interest, or influential bearing with Cloud Imperium Games and their ongoing business operations, and they have no further obligations towards me.

My opinions have been public, honest, and within the terms of my NDA. I enjoyed helping Star Citizen however I could, and was blessed to meet and befriend so many passionate artists, engineers, and designers. However, this project no longer has need of me, nor I of it.

I would like to thank fuzzknot for giving me the kick in the rear end to get this exit ball rolling, Mr. Smart for being frank and open with me, many past and present CIG employees for talking to me, Ben Lesnick for giving me this opportunity in the first place, Imp Zone for shaking some sense into me, and the Goons as a whole for ruining everything.

Goddamn. *solitary tear*

:golfclap:

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Dirty Hairy posted:

To be fair, even if it takes a long time to build one of something but the assets/code is modular and reusable, it's easier to build a lot more of that something with some variation.

That's actually what they did here, apparently--the station(s?) in the Crusader map are built using modular pieces from the gigantic mining station they made for the early SQ42 missions.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If they ever hit on the idea of selling spacestation.jpg though you can count on there suddenly being dozens of totally unique designs available now for $1200 limited stock

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
As an outsider looking in, this has all been extremely fascinating.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable dolchstoss narrative that will be crafted by the true believers when this all completely blows up.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
If you rearrange the letters in "Star Citizen" and add an additional R you get "Nazi Critters"

Coincidence? Show me the proof.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

As an outsider looking in, this has all been extremely fascinating.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable dolchstoss narrative that will be crafted by the true believers when this all completely blows up.

Star Citizen cannot fail. It can only be failed.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Barnsy posted:

So, about 4 years and they've built ONE station? Weren't there supposed to be dozens of different kinds?
Oh yeah? Well what do you think about THIS, huh?!

(No seriously what the hell is this?)

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Amarcarts posted:

If you rearrange the letters in "Star Citizen" and add an additional R you get "Nazi Critters"

Coincidence? Show me the proof.

Maybe Sandi will sing Horst-Wessel-Lied again for you.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

I bet those are Austin positions

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

G0RF posted:

well that is what they call "Stretch Goal"

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

It's the worst loving animation ever. Seriously. I'm convinced no one at CIG knows anything about modern physics.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I think I already reported that a bunch of key people are going to be walking after the holidays.

I don't believe that Chris has secured any funding. I do know some of the firms and people he's been speaking too. That's the thing about this industry. It's smaller than most think.

If he ever secures funding, and it becomes public, I can't wait to hear how White Knights spin it. This after blowing through $95m of their money.

Anyway, I don't believe that any investor or group is dumb enough to put money into this. So I'll believe it when I get proof.

The White Knights will become the Whitest Knights "Obviously his vision required more money than what was crowd funded. As more and more investors put millions, our dream will become reality in front of us."

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

3 posted:

Also, eat poo poo, Karl.

:unsmith:

. . . That is all.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Is it just me, or is croberts slowly morphing into Gru from despicable me?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Dirty Hairy posted:

It's the worst loving animation ever. Seriously. I'm convinced no one at CIG knows anything about modern physics.

I think it looks cool.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EminusSleepus posted:

No they promised CR people from crytek to help him on his game/prototype. That is why former CIG Dan Tracy is there together with that German dude. In which later on Chris poached them right under from crytek's nose

I know all that. We're talking about why CryEngine instead of, you know, Unity, UE etc

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Xaerael posted:

Is it just me, or is croberts slowly morphing into Gru from despicable me?

:lol:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dirty Hairy posted:

It's actually done in real-time using shaders. It's their version of jumping to warp. Yes - it's horrid.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Dirty Hairy posted:

Yeah re-usable assets are great. Until Croberts makes them redo all their assets because every single texture needs the same exact number of rust flakes per square meter.

He has to watch everything. You're not on the floor, you don't know what's going on. He's got thousands of players he's got 500 programmers they're all looking to make him blind with ugly textures 24 hours a day, he has to let them know he's watching all the details all the time, that there is not one single thing he will not catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz_-k9qoYns

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

EminusSleepus posted:

I bet those are Austin positions

I looked at the job page earlier today and it still has positions on there from June that have either gone unfilled or the HR dept are too lazy to take them down

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

D_Smart posted:

It's actually done in real-time using shaders. It's their version of jumping to warp. Yes - it's horrid.

Why not just use that weird Half Life bug where random pieces of geometry get stretched out into infinity

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Dirty Hairy posted:

Edit: I suspect a lot of what exists in this alpha 2.0 space station is lifted from the Shubin mining station they've been working on for what seems like forever now.

This is correct. Much like the Connie, the Shubin station was a model build to figure out the best practices for area building now that they have the engine features they need to deliver their vision in. Kinda like the Stormwind build for WoW during the alpha where they spent months working on it to figure out the best way to build things. Then after that, they were able to deliver Ironforge, Orgrimmar and the NE city (Teldrassil).

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Loiosh posted:

This is correct. Much like the Connie, the Shubin station was a model build to figure out the best practices for area building now that they have the engine features they need to deliver their vision in. Kinda like the Stormwind build for WoW during the alpha where they spent months working on it to figure out the best way to build things. Then after that, they were able to deliver Ironforge, Orgrimmar and the NE city (Teldrassil).

Aww, poor thing. You still think a game is going to be made. :sympathy:

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Loiosh posted:

Sounds like you're implying they're actually going to produce other stations.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

comatose posted:

Sounds like you're implying they're actually going to produce other stations.

That's their stated intention. If they can do that, I guess we'll have to wait to know for certain. I keep hearing that AC 2.0 is coming out tomorrow, but I just absolutely cannot believe that.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Gerbil_Pen posted:

I didn't say that. I said his vision issue was unrelated to his weight. I have no loving idea if he was dat as a kid.
He's impaired enough to have had to learn Braille as a kid.
Also he was a pretty large kid fifteen years ago but only recently has become that corpulent. Stress eating on the company's dime no doubt - what else does he do there all day beyond read the forums and make videos?

And going by his twitter he's pretty deep into some sort of depression. It must be hell having your "dream job" land in your lap only to end up being a fly on the wall to all sorts of shouting matches as your visionary idol turns out to be really really bad at his job.

I would not be surprised if a ton of former employees are incensed that he's still around despite contributing nothing meaningful to the team. I wonder how many quit in part from having had to put up with him being in design meetings and thinking he too is a designer by making random ideas that Chris then enforces and ties up development.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Loiosh posted:

That's their stated intention. If they can do that, I guess we'll have to wait to know for certain. I keep hearing that AC 2.0 is coming out tomorrow, but I just absolutely cannot believe that.

Keep the faith Citizen!

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

comatose posted:

Keep the faith Citizen!

I've been pretty active here. You can read back in my post history if you have any questions. I've said this before, but this game is an interesting idea I would like to see made. Should it fail, I will be unhappy. Should it succeed, I will be happy, but I have no desire to wish the developers or the fans, or even the detractors, disappointment.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

WebDog posted:

He's impaired enough to have had to learn Braille as a kid.
Also he was a pretty large kid fifteen years ago but only recently has become that corpulent. Stress eating on the company's dime no doubt - what else does he do there all day beyond read the forums and make videos?

And going by his twitter he's pretty deep into some sort of depression. It must be hell having your "dream job" land in your lap only to end up being a fly on the wall to all sorts of shouting matches as your visionary idol turns out to be really really bad at his job.

I would not be surprised if a ton of former employees are incensed that he's still around despite contributing nothing meaningful to the team. I wonder how many quit in part from having had to put up with him being in design meetings and thinking he too is a designer by making random ideas that Chris then enforces and ties up development.

Real talk, my heart goes out to Ben. He's obviously a passionate guy. I mean, he doesn't seem to have any particular talents, but it's pretty clear his dreams have turned into nightmares. Begs the question though: If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Toops posted:

Aww, poor thing. You still think a game is going to be made. :sympathy:

Oh it's getting made alright. It's going to be a janky steaming pile, but it'll get "released."

There was a game in the 90s, you might recall it. It was called Battleship or Cruiser or something like that. It's going to be a lot like that.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if we could quickly prototype a game where you play as Len Besnick, Gamer Extraordinaire, who finally snaps and goes on a murder/feasting rampage of GIC studios.

Would we be able to create a thoughtful and deep analysis of life as a fat man dying from fatness, and the struggles he goes through as he attempts to consume the world around him before the last speck of light is taken from his one good eye...?

Makes you think.

E: Holy poo poo I am revolted by my own idea. I would not play this.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 19, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

McGiggins posted:

I wonder if we could quickly prototype a game where you play as Len Besnick, Gamer Extraordinaire, who finally snaps and goes on a murder/feasting rampage of GIC studios.

Take "hatred" or what was that poo poo called, replace the map with a CIG office, put the stretched :gary: skin on all the npcs. Why make a game when it's already done, just mod it.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Loiosh posted:

I keep hearing that AC 2.0 is coming out tomorrow, but I just absolutely cannot believe that.

I think this came from some anonymous dude on 4chan saying "AC 2.0 tomorrow, PS I work at CIG!". Has something else indicated its release?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I think this came from some anonymous dude on 4chan saying "AC 2.0 tomorrow, PS I work at CIG!". Has something else indicated its release?

That's the 'source' I'm assuming, aka, complete bullshit. It hasn't even landed on the PTU yet, and they indicated they'd be doing gradual PTU invites. Also, in the chat yesterday one of the staffers indicated they were still working on blockers.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Even though people virulently hate Ben for some reason I think he is a human being who is just way over his head and trying his best to placate rabid nerds

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

D_Smart posted:

Oh wow. I have quite a few; most of them are silly Kung-Fu movies :)

If you like silly kung fu movies and haven't yet watched kung fu hustle, you really need to. Get it with subtitles.

Tangentially, it includes a weaponised PAAAAAAAARRRP.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Truga posted:

Oh it's getting made alright. It's going to be a janky steaming pile, but it'll get "released."

There was a game in the 90s, you might recall it. It was called Battleship or Cruiser or something like that. It's going to be a lot like that.

I can't wait. That's why I haven't asked for a refund for my donkey rear end Mustang Alpha that cost a round of beers. I will jank around the 'verse using one of the many janky exploits to blow up aspie kids' connies over and over until they cry so hard they mess their undies and leave a permanent stain on their replica ster wers flight chair. If you get your nose real close, you can still smell the doritos.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Toops posted:

I can't wait. That's why I haven't asked for a refund for my donkey rear end Mustang Alpha that cost a round of beers. I will jank around the 'verse using one of the many janky exploits to blow up aspie kids' connies over and over until they cry so hard they mess their undies and leave a permanent stain on their replica ster wers flight chair. If you get your nose real close, you can still smell the doritos.

I'm so looking forward to those goons who are left running Auroras and stuff into Connies, Rets and Idris. It'll be hilarious.

It's kinda one of the reasons I signed up. I'd love to do that poo poo sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

Take "hatred" or what was that poo poo called, replace the map with a CIG office, put the stretched :gary: skin on all the npcs. Why make a game when it's already done, just mod it.

I was thinking something along those lines, yeah, but the purpose of the making from scratch was to see if goons could output a decent map/character/content spread before CIG can do the same, even with their god knows how long head start.

If the mockery outperforms the mocked subject, even the whales must see that SC is Scam Citizen.

• Locked thread