Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Has anyone ever gone to one of those flyertalk conventions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

This sounds like it would be magical.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
In some ways, they sound almost like big pyramid scheme conventions. In other ways, you could probably get the same info by browsing FT.

here is their october agenda:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24308915-post3.html

quote:

Friday October 16th

4pm - 830pm - Registration Desk Open

5pm - 530pm - Introduction and Welcome to Chicago Seminars (thehowieee)

6pm - 7pm
Rookie Bootcamp with Dave (Bikeguy)
International Bootcamp with Stefan (Rapid Travel Chai)
Become an Expert with ExpertFlyer (Chris from ExpertFlyer)

730pm - 830pm
All About Delta with Rene (DeltaPoints)
All About Southwest with Bonnie (FrugalTravelLawyer)
Organizing Everyone's Points with Howie (thehowieee / FTG)

Saturday October 17th

830am - 12pm - Registration Desk Open

830am - 930am - Customer Service & Aviation with Captain Denny Flanagan

945am - 1045am - Credit Cards with Rick the Frugal Travel Guy

11am - 12p
Beginners with Summer (Mommy Points)
Bluebird, Redbird and Serve with Greg (Frequent Miler)
Dream Destinations on Points & Miles with Daraius (Million Mile Secrets)

12pm - 1pm - Lunch

1pm - 215pm
How To Find Cheap Premium Airfare with Ben Schlappig (One Mile At A Time)
Maximizing Online Portals with Greg (Frequent Miler)
Cruising with Shawn & Amtrak with Dave (Shawn Coomer & Bikeguy)

230pm - 345pm
Last Minute Award Bookings with Ben Schlappig (One Mile at a Time)
101 Tips to be an Expert Traveler with Stefan (Rapid Travel Chai)
Amazing Value on Aeroplan (via Amex and SPG) with Miguel (PMMTravelConsulting / FTG)

4pm - 5pm
Live: Award Booking with Ari Charlestein (Award Magic)
Exotic and Adventure Travel with Matthew Klint (Upgrd)
Booking Awards for Five or More People with Dave (Bikeguy)

515pm - 615pm
Round-the-World Trips Since the Death of RTW Awards with Scott (MileValue)
Award Stopovers with Drew Macomber (Travel Is Free)
Sweet Spot Award Redemptions with Angelina Aucello (Just Another Points Traveler)

7pm - 8pm
Happy Hour / Reception in Woodfield Ballroom

Sunday October 18th (All Sunday Sessions are open to all)

8am - 9am - Open Panel Discussion on Credit Cards

9am - 10am - Sponsors Workshop

10am - 11am - Charity Raffle

1115am - 1215pm - Hotel Breakouts

1215pm - 115pm - Lunch

115pm - 230pm - Airline Breakouts

245pm - 4pm - Event Closing & Open Panel on Everything Else

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

taco show posted:

ETA: what is the least obnoxious way to find out what's going on? The site I use only gives me avg delay times.

FlightRadar24 usually posts about big delays on their twitter: https://twitter.com/flightradar24

quote:

Due to high winds, arrival delays at @fly2ohare #ORD averaging 80 min. Departures: 27 min. http://www.flightradar24.com/airport/ord/map

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shadowhand00 posted:

If there was one near where I lived and if my car ran on insufferable instead of gasoline I'd be all over it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

taco show posted:

Thanks y'all. I guess I have time for frontera now

Use the app

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

I wouldn't go if you paid me. FT makes me sick. There is so much bitching and complaining I can't stand to go there anymore. I check the trip reports board and the AA 137 thread (want to go to HKG soon) but that's all I can stand. I did almost no traveling this year and will lose my status with Delta. I don't even care. Last year I was all gung ho and posting there a lot, but I can't do it now. The idea of a convention with all those idiots makes me ill.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 19, 2015

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Shadowhand00 posted:

That sounds worse than DashCon. I check out FT for the occasional trip report, and airfare deals, and maybe travel products/tech.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I've met one of those people (the one mile at a time dude) in person and kicking myself in the nuts while puking at the same time would've been more enjoyable. Dude epitomizes DYKWIA.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
I go to FT to find out the news in the first post and then stay for the delicious poo poo show that alternates between people howling into the void and the professors of market sensibility that preach the stockholder logic that shares prices must increase every day or the airline will fail as a business.

The I have a visit to the ice cream bar where you get wierdos that don't want to eat the meal but want to be served one just so they can be sure they get their first choice as GS or 1K

... so delicious

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I used to go there and check on mileage programs but nowadays I just don't give a poo poo.

Off to Prague and transfer Amsterdam. And back from London through Paris. Hope I don't die

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actually this time I think I will die from suffocation because I'm going to be wearing a suit

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I did SFO-PVG in a three piece once.

It wasn't too bad in United BusinessFirst, but I wish I had brought a change of clothes.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

caberham posted:

Actually this time I think I will die from suffocation because I'm going to be wearing a suit

you need a better suit.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

AgrippaNothing posted:

you need a better suit.

Do you have a spare fedora :henget:

So I'm flying KLM 888 and paid extra for exit row aisle seat . It's an older type of 747 with second floors and slightly old school. Poor guy got stashed into bulk head but the middle seat is still free. I kinda feel bad for the guy but I don't want to sit next to random strangers. I feel slightly guilty about myself

Nice. Now there's an announcement telling passengers to stay in their assigned seats for the sake of wind calculations for take off. Is it for real or does management just want everyone to behave?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

caberham posted:

Now there's an announcement telling passengers to stay in their assigned seats for the sake of wind calculations for take off. Is it for real or does management just want everyone to behave?

It legit albeit a little overhyped, especially on larger aircraft.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Moving people on a 747 or any widebody for weight and balance seems like either bullshit or sketchy as hell.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If you stand up while the fasten seatbelt sign is on, the terrorists win.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

air- posted:

I've met one of those people (the one mile at a time dude) in person and kicking myself in the nuts while puking at the same time would've been more enjoyable. Dude epitomizes DYKWIA.

Haha not surprising. What context did you meet him in?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

caberham posted:

Nice. Now there's an announcement telling passengers to stay in their assigned seats for the sake of wind calculations for take off. Is it for real or does management just want everyone to behave?

Unless you're in a 50 seat RJ it is the FA just trying to get everybody to behave.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

caberham posted:

Worth it to uphold the social contract.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Just got back AMS - BOS which means I'm done for the year*

*overseas travel only, have at least 3 domestic and 1 Canada before the blessed release of deathchristmas holidays

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Thoguh posted:

Worth it to uphold the social contract.

:golfclap:
Taking it back like 50 pages, well done!

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Eat your clothes instead of washing them and save a suitcase by making a suit made of noodles.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/06/23/how-to-carry-major-appliances-on-your-bike/

Never forget

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

loving lol he even had a minivan he could use for all that poo poo

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Wish I hand carried some instant noodles because the only snacks we had were cold stale cheese sandwiches. That plane ride was really cold but I lucked out having a hot water bottle to radiate some heat.. KLM gave tasty stroopwaffels and the main course was delicious. But the service in general was mediocre and the heads up display pretty dated.

Do you guys believe in skytrax reviews?

http://www.airlinequality.com/ratings/5-star-airline-ratings/

Im surprised that Hainan is there

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

caberham posted:

Do you guys believe in skytrax reviews?

http://www.airlinequality.com/ratings/5-star-airline-ratings/

Im surprised that Hainan is there

The data they use is pretty highly suspect.

Also, I ran a successful/popular FT/MilePoint(InsideFlyer) event in Austin for a couple of years and now that I live in Charlotte I'm doing one here next year. Unlike the Chicago Seminars or Frequent Traveler University which tend to be large stroke-offs for the people running them, the events I do surround eating and drinking a lot. We've been 98% douche-free for the last five years so those events do exist and it can be done. People who behave in real life like your average FlyerTalk poster are invited to gently caress off. :colbert:

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 20, 2015

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

pig slut lisa posted:

Haha not surprising. What context did you meet him in?

I noticed a FT luggage tag while boarding and half jokingly... ok full on mockingly said "who actually has one of those?" and that's when the regret began.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

air- posted:

I noticed a FT luggage tag while boarding and half jokingly... ok full on mockingly said "who actually has one of those?" and that's when the regret began.

Way to engage with the brand there.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

16 hours in economy wasn't bad. It's been a long time since I've done ultra long haul there.

I can't imagine flying more only to immediately return to Atlanta or wherever that idiotic mileage run start/ended.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

16 hours in economy wasn't bad. It's been a long time since I've done ultra long haul there.

I can't imagine flying more only to immediately return to Atlanta or wherever that idiotic mileage run start/ended.

If you are talking about me, it was Tampa.

TPA-JFK-NRT-SIN
SIN-NRT-MSP-TPA

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

DJCobol posted:

If you are talking about me, it was Tampa.

TPA-JFK-NRT-SIN
SIN-NRT-MSP-TPA
LUN-EEE-BIN

People clapped for troops this morning. Gross.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yup. I agree.

quote:

People clapped for troops this morning. Gross.
I've only ever seen that on Southwest flights.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Delta made some announcement about being proud of their employees who are veterans and people clapped on Veteran's day, but I don't think I've ever seen the outright "YAY ARE TROOPS" stuff.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I just flew on a 773er with legitimately 15 people in economy and 10 on business.

I think having a row of 4 to lay across produced a flatter bed than business class.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sellouts posted:

I just flew on a 773er with legitimately 15 people in economy and 10 on business.

I think having a row of 4 to lay across produced a flatter bed than business class.

:stare: what route and exactly how much of a bath are they taking on that flight

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delta made some announcement about being proud of their employees who are veterans and people clapped on Veteran's day, but I don't think I've ever seen the outright "YAY ARE TROOPS" stuff.

hang out in the main atrium at ATL, it happens like once an hour.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Cheering for troops in airports always comes across as awkward to me, even when it's genuine. I found it uncomfortable when I was on active duty, even shortly after 9/11, and still find it so. It's hard to be upset if it's meant in good faith, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ynglaur posted:

Cheering for troops in airports always comes across as awkward to me, even when it's genuine. I found it uncomfortable when I was on active duty, even shortly after 9/11, and still find it so. It's hard to be upset if it's meant in good faith, though.

I was in ATL last year and happened to be walking behind a group of fresh out of bootcamp guys talking amongst themselves trying to come up with the least awkward way to respond to all the people patting them on the back, cheering, or thanking them. By the time they got to the end of the terminal I think they just wished they didn't have to travel wearing their uniforms so people would leave them alone.