Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

smax posted:

Well, I got some actual use out of the dash cam last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8w1ZD2v9_I

Nothing quite like a minor hit and run to round out the night.

Edit: And a crappy picture of the aftermath:

That footage is great. Definitely post an update (also what camera it is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

smax posted:

Does this actually prove fault, though? We see the bump, and then you follow a guy who makes an illegal right turn. Unless the police do some CSI paint-matching, there isn't much to go on here.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Bet they find some front end damage on the other car.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Does this actually prove fault, though? We see the bump, and then you follow a guy who makes an illegal right turn. Unless the police do some CSI paint-matching, there isn't much to go on here.

There was paint transfer and their car was a rather uncommon color (green).

Also: the camera is a Mobius.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah Idk how it is wherever that guy is, but even in LA they'll send a cop out to check for damage.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sagebrush posted:

The only problem is proving who was driving. Testimony will be more than enough to prove a H&R and the illegal right turn is evidence of flight which can be used to show knowledge.
Good news is that 9 out of 10 times the driver will narc themselves out.
Hit and run is an actual crime with possible jail time. The police actually treat it fairly seriously everywhere, unlike accidents. Generally though, they have no leads, this has a big lead.

Keep us updated.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

nm posted:

The only problem is proving who was driving. Testimony will be more than enough to prove a H&R and the illegal right turn is evidence of flight which can be used to show knowledge.
Hit and run is an actual crime with possible jail time. The police actually treat it fairly seriously everywhere, unlike accidents. Generally though, they have no leads, this has a big lead.

Keep us updated.

Yep, I'll keep you guys up to speed on how this goes. I'm in Austin, and we've had some fairly high profile hit and run cases over the last few years. Police take that poo poo pretty seriously here.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

nm posted:

Keep us updated.
OP does not care who was driving, all they need is the other car's insurance provider info. In busy metropolitan areas, police rarely bother investigating , unless someone got seriously hurt. Hopefully these assholes get hit with hit and run charges, but that certainly depends on where the incident occurred and how overloaded the police are.

I've t-bonned a car flying though a red light. No dash cam, but my phone is mounted on dash for gps purposes and I've managed to snap a few shots before the car took off. I assumed they were either drunk, had warrants, or the car could have been stolen. Whatever. Police shows up 30 min later, completely ignored my pictures and wrote this out as a single vehicle accident. Despite the fact that i'm driving a tank-like pickup truck with minor damage, while the other car looked like it's ready for a junkyard. That's Philly for you, guys. Took 12 months for my lawyer to straighten everything out and collect money from the other vehicle's insurance.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

smax posted:

I would have been on with 911 ASAP giving them the license and last location/direction. My old RAV4 got totaled in a hit and run and I'm still salty I didn't get a plate or even decent description of the other car, that's why I got a dashcam in the first place. Yes please let us know if/when you can get them caught. Bonus you can then crosspost everything in the Schadenfreude thread :v:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont feel like editing 20min of footage, but in a 20min drive last night:

4 cars with no headlights (one of which had his indicator on for over 500m and didnt make a turn until a set of lights which, when in the left turn lane behind a car going straight who was waiting on the red, they proceeded to honk at multiple times)
3 cars doing 30 or less in a 50 zone.
2 cars trying to race me off the lights
2 cars not checking blind spots or indicating

and that is the entirety of the vehicles i saw on that drive. every single person, an utter fuckbag.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Just post the full 20 minutes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nitrox posted:

OP does not care who was driving, all they need is the other car's insurance provider info. In busy metropolitan areas, police rarely bother investigating , unless someone got seriously hurt. Hopefully these assholes get hit with hit and run charges, but that certainly depends on where the incident occurred and how overloaded the police are.

I've t-bonned a car flying though a red light. No dash cam, but my phone is mounted on dash for gps purposes and I've managed to snap a few shots before the car took off. I assumed they were either drunk, had warrants, or the car could have been stolen. Whatever. Police shows up 30 min later, completely ignored my pictures and wrote this out as a single vehicle accident. Despite the fact that i'm driving a tank-like pickup truck with minor damage, while the other car looked like it's ready for a junkyard. That's Philly for you, guys. Took 12 months for my lawyer to straighten everything out and collect money from the other vehicle's insurance.

You may care who was driving if they claim the person driving wasn't covered. If they were uninsured, it can also help you get restitution if they are convicted.
I can't speak for all areas, but in SoCal, which is a major crime ridden metropolis, hit and runs, even without injury were a big deal. I certainly saw more than my fair share of minor dings turning into real criminal cases and arrests.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

smax posted:

Also: the camera is a Mobius.

That's some really clear night footage, are you using the WDR setting?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

LookieLoo posted:

That's some really clear night footage, are you using the WDR setting?

I honestly can't remember. I believe I'm using the automatic color correction, but it's been so long since I set it up that I couldn't tell you exactly how the thing's set.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Laserface posted:

4 cars with no headlights (one of which had his indicator on for over 500m and didnt make a turn until a set of lights which, when in the left turn lane behind a car going straight who was waiting on the red, they proceeded to honk at multiple times)
3 cars doing 30 or less in a 50 zone.
2 cars trying to race me off the lights
2 cars not checking blind spots or indicating

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Nitrox posted:

My brother encountered the exact same thing in Philly. He wrecked some sedan that blew a red light in his '92 S10 and they proceeded to limp off, slow enough that he got the plate. He called the cops and they did a single vehicle accident report.

He drove home of course. We replaced the hood and bumper with junkyard Blazer parts and fixed the minor bent frame and the thing is still on the road.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

smax posted:

Minor update. After some internet sleuthing, I have found the owner of the car and the driver (not the same person).

EDIT: Aaaand the jig is up. A day later and both she and her friend have removed all photos and comments regarding that night from Facebook. She must have been contacted by the police department or her insurance company.

smax fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 12, 2015

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaBbGteDkoo

I started slowing down before the intersection (and horn) but apparently not enough since my wheels started losing a bit of traction and I came kinda close to this imbecile entering the lane at a walking pace. I should've slowed down sooner and much harder. Honk honk!

Also I'm not pleased with the mini 0805 quality so I'm looking at changing cams (again), I'm eyeing the 2ch front/rear BlackVue DR650GW, if anyone has any experience with it or better alternatives?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:sigh::hf::sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZUMDDAS5QE

loving snowbirds.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This video is private.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

This video is private.

Goddamnit, I keep forgetting that. Fixed.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Does anyone have a functional dash cam they want to get rid of cheap? I don't really care about quality, just need it to work.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2cX0jgEChg&t=10s

:aaaaa:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

:stare:

Holy crap I would totally need a new pair of pants after that.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

I did a doubletake when i remembered that the driver is on the right in that lorry.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
So I bought a Cobra 840 last week at Costco. Other than a few cutoffs and a Cadillac doing 70 in the freeway with a donut on the right rear, nothing to show, until tonight. Wet roads, darkness, and idiots, welcome to Washington State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jw--EAi-2Y

1st, while sitting at a light, a Toyota Tacoma with a trailer came in fast on my rear end. He locked up, and luckily swerved to the right. His from bumper was parallel to the rear door on my Nissan Altima. Watch the reflection on the trunk of the Nissan in front of me at 0:18 and you can see his lights swerve over.

Then, just a minute later at 1:10, a car exited a housing development took a left across 2 lanes plus the turn lane and directly into the west bound fast lane, then stopped. I was doing about 50 at the time, but was able to slow. He finally moved to the far lane and luckily everyone else was on idiot alert.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Worth it to get the wide angle on the mobius?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Worth it to get the wide angle on the mobius?

Yes.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I actually dislike the wide angle lens... video quality is still clear, but it is definitely reducing your chances of getting a legible license plate. On the other hand, it captures pillar to pillar video, so it may be a matter of personal preference.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
That's why you say the plate number out loud so the audio picks it up.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PenisMonkey posted:

That's why you say the plate number out loud so the audio picks it up.

I tried that, but it turns out that 'gently caress you, you blind twat!' wasn't a valid plate.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mini 0803 doesn't have that issue and it gets the whole windshield in view. Can read plates easily at varying distances out to about 15ft

How wide is the wide lens for mobius?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Random question: I've heard that in California, recording audio of someone without informing them beforehand is illegal wiretapping, so any secret recordings you make are inadmissible as evidence. This rule doesn't apply to video, just audio. Does this mean that if your dashcam records audio, the recordings won't be valid in court?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Sagebrush posted:

Random question: I've heard that in California, recording audio of someone without informing them beforehand is illegal wiretapping, so any secret recordings you make are inadmissible as evidence. This rule doesn't apply to video, just audio. Does this mean that if your dashcam records audio, the recordings won't be valid in court?

IANAL but there is no expectation of privacy for recordings of things happening around your vehicle in public space. If you were to try to use it as evidence for something happening within your car, then the two-party rule comes into effect.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Sagebrush posted:

12 US States (including California) require "All Party" consent for audio to be admitted as evidence in court, but we also have to remember the context of this. Lets assume that the audio is not being used to incriminate your passengers.. in example, you are involved in a vehicle accident, or a road rage incident, etc. The courts, or the police, are not going to be concerned if everyone in the car consented to being audio recorded, as the contents of the audio recording will probably be immaterial to the case at hand.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, I ride a motorcycle, so the camera is on my helmet...and I can imagine that if I got into any incidents, there'd be words exchanged. Would a lawyer be able to argue that because I recorded the person screaming at me without their consent, the evidence is inadmissible on a technicality? Does being out on a public highway excuse the requirement? Would drawing the person's attention to the camera change anything?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Well, I ride a motorcycle, so the camera is on my helmet...and I can imagine that if I got into any incidents, there'd be words exchanged. Would a lawyer be able to argue that because I recorded the person screaming at me without their consent, the evidence is inadmissible on a technicality? Does being out on a public highway excuse the requirement? Would drawing the person's attention to the camera change anything?
Why wouldn't you simply strip out the audio before attempting to admit it into evidence?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I assumed that would be called "tampering with evidence."

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
IIRC wiretapping laws only apply when you have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Being on a highway does not constitute a reasonable expectation of privacy.

IANAL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

nm is a california lawyer and he reads this thread. I'd ask him. Or you know, a real life lawyer.