Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Kyte posted:

What I'm getting from here is that Horikoshi, Kubo and, uh.... poo poo I forgot. There was one other who was popular and was great at clothing.
Anyways they should team up and make the ultimate anime fashion line.

You can't forget the original and most fabulous of all the manga/anime fashion designers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kyte posted:

It's hard to translate 3分 wrong tho? :confused:
Like, units of measure are the most unambiguous poo poo ever and even japanese uses arabic numerals for the most part. It's like the easiest thing to not get wrong. This isn't Bleach with its fancy explanations.

They gently caress up numbers in One Piece translations all the loving time. Never underestimate the ability of fan translators to gently caress up a translation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Kyte posted:

E: v--- Well yes, but this is on another level. It's not ambiguous at all. (Also I couldn't find raws but at the very least another translation had the 3 minute thing as well)
Ah, I think we might be missing each other here. I thought you were talking about something else.

Satou's quirk, as we know it, grants him super strength whenever he consumes sugar for three whole minutes at the cost of dulling his intellect for the duration. If FA's translation is to be believed, the math works out to 10g of sugar multiplying his strength five times over. What's unclear is whether or not consuming additional and/or larger doses of sugar multiplies his strength further (and to what degree), or if it only extends the time frame for which his powers are active.

In other words, if Satou eats 20g (four teaspoons) of sugar, which of the following happens?
  1. Satou's power activates for three minutes.
  2. Satou's power activates for six minutes.
  3. Satou's power activates for three minutes at twice its usual potency (5x2).
  4. Satou's power activates for six minutes at twice its usual potency.
  5. Satou's power activates for three minutes at five times its usual potency (5x5).
  6. Satou's power activates for six minutes at five times its usual potency.
This is where an official translation or even some passing knowledge of Japanese would clarify a few things.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Who gives a poo poo is what happens.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Makes a big difference whether or not his upper limit is merely five times his natural strength or potentially infinite, IMO.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There isn't enough info so just wait and find out.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I was just explaining what the confusion was over.

Kyte thought we were arguing over the time limit when we were discussing the strength ceiling.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

loving Kyte, get with it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Never trust anyone named Kyle.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The official translation is, as I expected, a lot more vague as to what exactly is happening.

So I'm going to keep applying years of learned comic book logic and assume the strength, but not the duration, stacks. I'm also going to assume, based on the official translation that using the strength gained is what drains him.

A large part of why I'm going to assume all of this stuff, aside from just basic learned comic book logic, is because it would also lead to "cool" fights.

Think about it; he has to perform a discrete physical action, that takes time and some amount of preparation/resouces, in order to get a "stack" of strength. But each individual stack lasts only three minutes, meaning there is both a limit to the number of times he could stack this power gain and an ideal point at which to "spend" it. Furthermore actually using this strength is going to wipe out his ability to fight in short order.

Potentially incredible brute force, that requires time, effort, and planning to build up, and must be applied with extreme precision lest it be wasted or rendered less effective.

That's actually a cool character.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I hope he got a good buff addon built into his suit.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kyte posted:

This isn't Bleach with its fancy explanations.

If it were Bleach, then we'd still be on the Todoroki/Deku fight.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

If it were Bleach, then we'd still be on the TodorokiBakugou/Deku fight.

You were giving Bleach's pacing too much credit, so I corrected that for you.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Two games, one an arcade card game, the other an action game on the 3DS

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Wow, already?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Just make it the Sports Festival and I'm in.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Terper posted:

Two games, one an arcade card game, the other an action game on the 3DS

Nice webpage.

Well, they have more than enough characters if they make a fighting game.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Just a heads-up that spoilers and pics are out earlier than normal, since Jump is releasing on Saturday this week.

Scans might not be out any quicker though, apparently a lot of the Chinese raw providers are freaked the gently caress out over the crackdown going on. Who can blame them, I'd hate to get disappeared over One Piece myself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It feels like the early capitalization on this series is a result of Jump maybe wanting a new big smash hit series since Naruto's over and Bleach is well past its prime.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's also kind of great.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it is, but this is earlier than most manga series get this far. We're not even 2 years in, after all.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I feel like that's when most series start getting their push though. Somewhere in the 50-100 chapter range, they know if they have a potential hit on their hands.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Gunhead is literally a gun and that is fine with me. I'm a bit disappointed that given how film savvy Kouhei is he didn't make any Videodrome reference though.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, it is, but this is earlier than most manga series get this far. We're not even 2 years in, after all.

Manga-based adaptations have been moving away from the one complete run for the past few years. I think the only ones still doing it are Naruto and One Piece.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kuroyama posted:

Manga-based adaptations have been moving away from the one complete run for the past few years. I think the only ones still doing it are Naruto and One Piece.

Poor forgotten World Trigger.

To be fair, it's not good enough to be that memorable but it always amuses me how it always falls under the radar. Though apparently the anime got renewed to become its own storyline so it doesn't fully count I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kuroyama posted:

I know that, but it's still not a lot of material. I guess it depends on the length of it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm with Waffleman on this one. It really does feel like WSJ's trying to push it as the newest member of the Big Three.

Fortunately it's good, so at least they're marketing something worthwhile.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
They're probably pushing it this hard because Assassination Classroom is coming to an end.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm with Waffleman on this one. It really does feel like WSJ's trying to push it as the newest member of the Big Three.

Fortunately it's good, so at least they're marketing something worthwhile.

I wouldn't mind a Neo Big Three that included One Piece, Hero Academia, and whatever else.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Actually, what constitutes the current Big Three? One Piece is still going strong, sure, but Naruto ended and Bleach's been running on fumes for years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Like I said, I don't think there's really been a proper Big Three. I mean, Toriko was popular for a while, and I think AssClass was too, but I don't think anything's matched Naruto and Bleach's prime.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Isn't Toriko ending as well? Thought I heard that somewhere. I know Gintama's still going.

Maybe Togashi will emerge from hibernation and Hunter x Hunter will nope can't finish that sentence.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've made my opinion clear on my desire to not mess with no rock human mangas.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Waffleman_ posted:

Like I said, I don't think there's really been a proper Big Three. I mean, Toriko was popular for a while, and I think AssClass was too, but I don't think anything's matched Naruto and Bleach's prime.

I think "Big Three" is a western creation. I prefer thinking in terms like "Top Draws" or "Main Eventers" myself [1], which currently looks like One Piece, AssClass, MHA, Haikyuu, Shokugeki no Soma, and surprisingly Black Clover. And you got a decent mid-card with titles like Gintama, World Trigger, Toriko, and PSI Kusuo Saiki. I think that leaves just the new titles that haven't yet gotten over or won't last past 2 months, Bleach, and Kochikame. [2]

[1]: All Jump popularity discussions should use wrestling terms.

[2]: Judgement based on about 2 minutes looking up Jump ToC's.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Waffleman_ posted:

One Piece and Assassination Classroom are the big consistent ones. After that, it shuffles around the other various big series which include My Hero Academia. Black Clover's been getting a push as well since it fills in that battle niche, and it looks like it's been doing well for itself sales and ranking-wise, and I think Hinomaru Zumou got pushed too but I think its sales aren't as strong as MHA and BC. Straighten Up has also been doing pretty well, which is cool.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kuroyama posted:

[2]: Judgement based on about 2 minutes looking up Jump ToC's.

Heh, you basically hit it close to the mark. For a year or 2, I made a graph cause I was bored and genuinely curious how titles would oscillate. I haven't updated that graph in months, but I have an idea of how well series are doing now from eyeing it since there is a pattern to what gets dropped, and what's big. Series that get pushed also suddenly get a lot of color pages, which happened with MHA and Black Clover.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

[1]: All Jump popularity discussions should use wrestling terms.
This is now canon.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kuroyama posted:

and Kochikame. [2]

What's the wrestling equivalent of a legacy manga like Kochikame that somehow keeps going on and on ad infinitum?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I tend to let this series stack up and read it in chunks, so I just read through from right before Stain.

Stain and the tests are good, much better than the sports festival, happy we're actually getting an All For One, Mineta needs to chill out, and the weird votes in the popularity poll were great.

MHA is... good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

What's the wrestling equivalent of a legacy manga like Kochikame that somehow keeps going on and on ad infinitum?

The Rock.