Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Found all your reddit accounts guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Sutter has decided to cancel Bastard Executioner and he did in the most passive aggressive way possible: Broadsheet ad:

"Decided" to cancel the show? Does Kurt Sutter actually have the power to do that or is this just Sutter's way of saving face before the execs cancel it anyway?

"My show wasn't cancelled, I decided to end it because clearly not enough people appreciated it :smug:"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

"Decided" to cancel the show? Does Kurt Sutter actually have the power to do that or is this just Sutter's way of saving face before the execs cancel it anyway?

The reports I read said that it was a mutual decision between him and the network. But it's Sutter so I'd believe anything from "lying in the most ostentatious way to save face" to "threw such a wall eyed tantrum in the exec's office they had no choice but to cancel it".

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

zoux posted:

The reports I read said that it was a mutual decision between him and the network. But it's Sutter so I'd believe anything from "lying in the most ostentatious way to save face" to "threw such a wall eyed tantrum in the exec's office they had no choice but to cancel it".

In the interview he did he said that given the ratings he was expecting that after the first season was over then FX would cancel it, so he decided to go to them himself and suggest it. I don't like him, but he was fairly level headed about it, even if he has no real idea why the show failed.

In sadder news, THE SOUP is being cancelled.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 18, 2015

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's working on a Sons of Anarchy spinoff

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wasn't Bastard Executioner reviewed poorly anyway?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Josh Lyman posted:

The reviewers didn't understand Sutter's vision.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
When people talk about "grimdark", it's often a hyperbolic attack on a straw-man who thinks that everything is actually better when it's grim and dark. Kurt Sutter is that actual person. He's a pure "rule of cool" guy, and his idea of cool is just sex and violence and rape and people shrugging this behavior off as "poo poo happens". That's what he thinks is the coolest.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So wait, Hydra are Cthulhu cultists now?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

So wait, Hydra are Cthulhu cultists now?

That would be awesome.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Limitless continues to be funny as gently caress.

I think this was my favorite episode yet. The montage at the end was a riot.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

tao of lmao posted:

I think this was my favorite episode yet. The montage at the end was a riot.

:cry:"Muntouchables" :cry:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Coffeehitler posted:

:cry:"Muntouchables" :cry:

Limitless is weird how good it is.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Lycus posted:

“I think the mythology was a little too dense for some people,” Mr. Sutter said in the interview. “There’s a glut of period pieces on right now, and I’m sure timing has something to do it"

Sutter has many explanations for why his show failed, but not a real one. Like the show was super boring.
Clearly Kurt Sutter has never watched Game of Thrones. Mythology isn't the problem the show had. I watched the premiere and it was slow, plodding, the characters had no depth or if they did were immediately slaughtered viciously as FX would allow, brutal violence existed for brutal violence's sake (maybe if Sutter did watch GoT, this was all he learned), and a whole bunch of other reasons.

Josh Lyman posted:

Was SoA ever really a critical darling? I could tell from the start TBX was never gonna be a critical anything except a whipping boy if anyone could muster up the strength to keep watching. It was poo poo and people stopped watching. It aired on a cable network so you can tell people's tastes are more fickle and they obviously did not align.

Also apparently I heard Sutter couldn't even deliver his own scripts on time. So :laffo: to that.

Sutter printed money for Langraf and FX with SoA so I can imagine they gave him a little leeway into how his show would be cancelled.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
how come in the books sherlock was a good actor but in the bbc show he's played by a poo poo one

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

corn in the bible posted:

how come in the books sherlock was a good actor but in the bbc show he's played by a poo poo one

There's plenty of very valid criticisms you can level at BBC's Sherlock but what the hell?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The current Sherlock show is garbage 2/3 of the time and great the remaining 1/3 of the time. I'm not sure if that's enough to justify watching it. It also falls into the trap of trying to make the mysteries solvable by the viewer. The average viewer. Which means that Sherlock is actually a dumber sperge than the average TB viewer because we all solved this poo poo in the first 20 minutes.

Basically when it's up it's own rear end being "clever" it's poo poo, but when it's just being loving awesome and Martin Freeman gets to act, it's pretty fun.

Edit: /\ I don't hate Cumberbatch by any means, but I have yet to see any evidence that he has any range besides his one schtick.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
isn't there a rule to keep Sherlockians from posting ?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Watch Elementary instead.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

isn't there a rule to keep Sherlockians from posting ?

I am most definitely not a sherlockian and will quit talking about it immediately.

How are the current seasons of New Girl and Brooklyn 99? I haven't watched either since last season...

Edit: no spoilers please

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Brooklyn 99 continues to be the perfect comedy.

New Girl, continues to go unwatched by me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

New Girl's season hasn't started yet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

B99 has been wonderful, and I'm quite jealous you get to marathon the season so far.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

IRQ posted:

There's plenty of very valid criticisms you can level at BBC's Sherlock but what the hell?

i'm sorry that i said the guy who played khan as a bland smug guy, sherlock as a bland smug guy, smaug as a bland smug guy, etc etc was a bad actor

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

B99 isn't the sort of thing I usually enjoy, but every time I see some of it while channel-surfing I laugh my rear end off. They're pretty much pitch-perfect on delivery, and that's what sells a bad joke or can make even a good one fall flat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Awwww yisss. Noah Hawley is writing/producing an adaption of Cat's Cradle for FX.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DrVenkman posted:

In the interview he did he said that given the ratings he was expecting that after the first season was over then FX would cancel it, so he decided to go to them himself and suggest it. I don't like him, but he was fairly level headed about it, even if he has no real idea why the show failed.

Nice way to gently caress the crew out of a few months of guaranteed work.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The planned last episode of the season airs soon. They were all done.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Awwww yisss. Noah Hawley is writing/producing an adaption of Cat's Cradle for FX.

Nice. Not sure how you make a TV show out of it – don't get me wrong, it's a great song – but if he can make Fargo work, I'm sure he'll figure it out.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nice. Not sure how you make a TV show out of it – don't get me wrong, it's a great song – but if he can make Fargo work, I'm sure he'll figure it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat%27s_Cradle

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

;)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Not really. The first Season is still wrapping as it always would've done. But after that FX would've cancelled it, so it's giving them notice.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

How is Fargo Season 2?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

PriorMarcus posted:

How is Fargo Season 2?

Fantastic

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

How is Fargo Season 2?

At the very least it's a PriorMarcus "meh" (meaning it's incredible).

Actually my one major issue with this season is that I don't feel anywhere near as invested in the characters. I can't really explain why. I feel like I'm studying the season as opposed to really letting it happen to me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

How is Fargo Season 2?
It's very good (after episode 2). It feels a lot like film-student bait, though, which is partly responsible for the reception, but the production value and acting is pretty high up there.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

PriorMarcus posted:

How is Fargo Season 2?

It didn't grip me immediately like the pilot in season 1 did but it's gotten so good and a lot of stuff that seemed like it might be :rolleyes: at first (like one hitman character who monologues in a way that would feel right at home in a mid-90s Tarantino knockoff or Nick Offerman as yet another kooky conspiracy theorist character) wind up being amazing.

The only thing I'm worried about is if the whole UFO thing is actually going to go anywhere.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like season 2 better than season 1

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrVenkman posted:

In sadder news, THE SOUP is being cancelled.

:( I always enjoyed The Soup and its "God we all hate doing this show so we're putting as little effort into it as possible but Joel is so charismatic that it works, drat it!" thing it had going on.

Wonder what's next for McHale? He was probably banking on Fox picking up the X-Files spinoff working out but that was DOA apparently.

muscles like this? posted:

Goddamn it television you're giving me emotional whiplash.

That said I really want this to work but can't really see how it will.

If you haven't read it (please go read it) Cat's Cradle is written in first person kinda unreliable (it's a Vonnegut book so duh) that switches between the main character's journey of trying to write a book about the (fictionalized) man who created the atom bomb and his strange children and passages from a (fictional) Caribbean religious figure's text. There are also multiple passages that are letters between characters and a reveal that relies on information withheld in flashbacks that have already been shown (it's a Vonnegut novel).

In short, it's pretty goddamn unfilmable. Last I heard Leonardo DiCaprio owned the rights and had been trying for at least a decade to get the film made--if Leo and his friends couldn't make it work (Jonathan Nolan is the only person who could get a workable script out of it, IMHO) then I can't possibly see how Noah intends to.

But I'm gonna watch the poo poo out of it because Cat's Cradle is a fantastic book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Anyone watching Casual? I really like it, although it is depressing as gently caress.

• Locked thread