Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
How many scoring units is "safe"? Three? Four?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
A safe number is probably one scoring unit for every 600 points. I also recommend that after you fill the compulsory choices you look for non compulsory scoring options as they are a bit more specialized. After you have 4 it's debatable if you need more.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Sketching together a Blood Angels list right now and here's where I'm at. Going with Furious Charge, seems fitting.

TROOPS
19x Marines, additional CCW
+ELITE Apothecarion
+FAST ATTACK Storm Eagle, multi melta+lascannons
-588pts

TROOPS
10x Marines
+Rhino
-185pts

ELITE
Contemptor, 2x Kheres assault cannons
-205pts

ELITE
5x Terminators, Cataphractii armor
+HEAVY SUPPORT Caestus Assault Ram
-480pts

TOTAL 1458

I want to start with 1850 points and it feels like I have a lot of different directions to go- I was thinking the general tactics would be to have the Contemptor handle the backfield while the Rhino squad grabs a relevant objective, and then an entire army of flying death just motherfucks whatever targets of opportunity get presented to me. To that end, I was considering just making the terminators a command squad with thunder hammers and combi-weapons alongside a Praetor with the Blood Angels artifact sword and a Primus Medicae. Adding in upgrades and such and that takes me to 1850 easy, but it feels like my main deathstar unit is a massive points sink. Is it too many eggs in a basket, or is a Caestus a tough enough basket to make it work?

The Caestus is pimp, but it costs a lot of points at this point level. Nothing will shoot it down though. Having two death stars at 1500 points isn't that bad and it looks like a fun list. You could take the Onslaught force org so you can drop your rhino squad and use something more interesting. You would benefit a lot from a land raider Proteus or command rhino as it will help your birds make it onto the table on turn 2.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I think I want to go with Alpha Legion. I like mechanised combined arms lists. This is mostly a list diven by what I would want to paint and own more than functional, but also trying to connect to the fast attack concepts of the Alpha Legion. I wanted either RoT'd Butchers or Mor Deythan snipers. Probably need to make adjustments to wargear.

Armillus and the Apothecary ride with the tac blob in the Storm Eagle. I wanted to fit a contemptor but couldn't find room.

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1996pts) ++

+ HQ (200pts) +

Armillus Dynat (200pts)
··Master of the Legion [The Coils of the Hydra]

+ Troops (435pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (240pts) [17x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

Legion Tactical Squad (195pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

+ Elites (655pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (45pts) [Legion Apothecary]

The Rewards of Treason (610pts)
··The Red Butchers [4x Butcher Terminator, 2x Pair of Lightning Claws]
····Legion Spartan Assault Tank [Armoured Ceramite, Auxiliary Drive]

+ Fast Attack (240pts) +

Legion Storm Eagle Assault Gunship (240pts) [Armoured Ceramite, Extra Armour]

+ Heavy Support (466pts) +

Legion Fire Raptor Gunship (241pts) [Armoured Ceramite, Four Hellstrike Missiles, Searchlight]

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (225pts) [Legion Predator Tank, Legion Predator Tank, Legion Predator Tank]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XX: Alpha Legion]

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Apparently the Mini Wargaming guys are getting into the heresy. Excited to see their min-maxed lists now that 30k is popular with 40k gamers! It'll be as great as reading the walls of text ADB writes over on bolter & chainsword.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

panascope posted:

There's a lot of goofy poo poo like that in Forgeworld models. The Dreadclaw requires you to cut the attachment points off a regular drop pod door as part of its assembly.

It's a small price to pay to field Baby's First Lord of War. FW also sent me the replacement parts that I was missing for my Sicaran, so that one is now fully assembled and ready to paint :dance:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I just like that I finally have an excuse to buy a Fellblade and Spartan.

Though absolutely not until the Calth box is painted.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So if i pick up a Calth box and decide to go Word Bearers. Could I proxy my 40k Possessed as Gal Vorbak or are these significantly bigger?

Edit: I went to the Dark sphere site this morning. They had new stock in 6 in stock, 10 copies coming in. I went and made a cup of tea and checked my email. Refreshed the page 15 minutes later and they'd all gone. This thing really does seem to be selling like gangbusters.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 19, 2015

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Deptfordx posted:

So if i pick up a Calth box and decide to go Word Bearers. Could I proxy my 40k Possessed as Gal Vorbak or are these significantly bigger?

Edit: I went to the Dark sphere site this morning. They had new stock in 6 in stock, 10 copies coming in. I went and made a cup of tea and checked my email. Refreshed the page 15 minutes later and they'd all gone. This thing really does seem to be selling like gangbusters.

It's kinda strange, people pre-ordered the poo poo out of it up here, but there's a ton of copies warming the shelves in stores. I'm not complaining, means more for me when the paycheck rolls in.

Also I don't see why you couldn't use the 40k Possessed, any size difference could be passed off as Daemon fuckery and I think there's only about 5 different sculpts between the Forge World ones, as lovely as they are.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

They are noticeably bigger, but the only important part is the larger base.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I can't tell by eye, is that 40mm or the new 32mm base.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
40mm, they're basically tall terminators.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
In a game system where Psykers appear to be more rare it seems like investing in some Chaos daemons and specifically the Grimoire of True Names might be a good way to bolster a full Gal Vorbak unit, especially if you include Zardu Layak for a Cursed Earth cast. A 2+ invulnerable 2/3rds of the time would really help a giant footslogging unit.

Am I crazy or does this seems like a solid way to go?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

It's kinda strange, people pre-ordered the poo poo out of it up here, but there's a ton of copies warming the shelves in stores. I'm not complaining, means more for me when the paycheck rolls in.
I ordered mine off Amazon through the war store - I tried to order directly from them, but it was $10 more than if I ordered from them via Amazon which seems weird and dumb. Also now they're saying it won't get here til the 30th. If I'd known it would take that long I would've just ordered elsewhere for the 5$ difference or whatever.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

Ultramarines are badass. Suck it.

Hell yeah
:agesilaus::hf::agesilaus:

My Ultras are looking like they'll be based around two blobs of 20 dudes with Apothecaries. I'll probably want some sniper squads just to mark targets so they get rerolls when shooting, since 40 rerolling bolters seems like they'll put out a pretty punishing amount of fire. I figure the other two squads of 10 I have lying around can either be special weapon or veteran squads, if only so I can paint some crisp white helmets on them. After that I've got a pair of Contemptors, and then I can move on to some heavier fire support like a Sicaran.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

In a game system where Psykers appear to be more rare it seems like investing in some Chaos daemons and specifically the Grimoire of True Names might be a good way to bolster a full Gal Vorbak unit, especially if you include Zardu Layak for a Cursed Earth cast. A 2+ invulnerable 2/3rds of the time would really help a giant footslogging unit.

Am I crazy or does this seems like a solid way to go?

Zardu Lalafell/Gal Vorbak/Cursed Earth is a very nice combo. Don't think I've seen Grimoire factor into it before, but if it works why not.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I need a plastic box set for the Mechanicum. That way I can play with Martian robots and not need a split codex to get the full experience.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So thinking what I might do with a BAC box, plus 40k stuff (Rhino's etc) that I could use I've roughed out

The Cataphracti Praetor plus 4 more as a Command squad in a LR Proteus. Shame you don't have Redeemers in 30k, that'd be awesome.

2 x 10 man Veteran tacticals in Rhinos

The Contemptor, which I might get hold of a second Kheres for and run as a Mortis.

10 Gal Vorbak (my Possessed, which i'll have to rebase and do some remodelling)

Which leaves me 10 models to play around with and convert.

That's about 1600 points base, minimally equipped.

So what is the standard point size for 30k games that I need to plan for. Anecdotally it seems to be 2000 points is the 1500/1850 of the Heresy game, is that right?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Star Man posted:

I need a plastic box set for the Mechanicum. That way I can play with Martian robots and not need a split codex to get the full experience.

Apparently there's some Heresy upgrade kits coming for the Skitarii in the works, which makes me hopeful for some Heresy-era rules for them. Would be nice to run them alongside my Taghmata rather than use them as proxy Tech-Thralls.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Deptfordx posted:

So thinking what I might do with a BAC box, plus 40k stuff (Rhino's etc) that I could use I've roughed out

The Cataphracti Praetor plus 4 more as a Command squad in a LR Proteus. Shame you don't have Redeemers in 30k, that'd be awesome.

2 x 10 man Veteran tacticals in Rhinos

The Contemptor, which I might get hold of a second Kheres for and run as a Mortis.

10 Gal Vorbak (my Possessed, which i'll have to rebase and do some remodelling)

Which leaves me 10 models to play around with and convert.

That's about 1600 points base, minimally equipped.

So what is the standard point size for 30k games that I need to plan for. Anecdotally it seems to be 2000 points is the 1500/1850 of the Heresy game, is that right?

Proteus isn't an assault vehicle. Also I'd consider a ride for your Gal Broback, but I guess you can just deep strike them, right?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dammit, I meant the standard LR Phobos which is an assault vehicle, and yep I was thinking deep strike the Gal Vorbak.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

SteelMentor posted:

Also I don't see why you couldn't use the 40k Possessed, any size difference could be passed off as Daemon fuckery and I think there's only about 5 different sculpts between the Forge World ones, as lovely as they are.

Are the Gal Vorbak models single pose then?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

not lame! posted:

Are the Gal Vorbak models single pose then?

Yes, they are five unique mono-pose models. They're gorgeous but unless you mod them you're going to have doubles.

Speaking of, I bought some from eBay late last week with a 3-6 week delivery estimate and got them in the mail today. :stare:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

PierreTheMime posted:

Yes, they are five unique mono-pose models. They're gorgeous but unless you mod them you're going to have doubles.

Speaking of, I bought some from eBay late last week with a 3-6 week delivery estimate and got them in the mail today. :stare:

Delivery estimates are bullshit. I ordered some alt-heads from over-seas for my Kastellans and the seller told me to expect them in a month. I got them three days later. Meanwhile I sent off a few spare shoulder-pads to a friend down about half a day's drive away and he didn't get them for a month and a half.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Why I'll just look at Ebay Uk and see if they have any Gal Vor... Whoa £70 for 5 :stare:. Ironically the listing doesn't boast about how well painted they are and they are actually pretty well painted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warhammer...KQAAOSw14xWKOD3

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
The thing with Gal Vorbak is they absolutely tower over any other Legion model, especially if you give their basing a bit of extra polish. Even if you hold that Death Guard down there up so their feet are level, the Word Bearer still has a solid head on him. Many of the joins between parts are fairly smooth, and there are areas that would take a saw pretty well, so there's plenty room to add some variation with a bit of elbow grease.

Also, holy poo poo I need to repaint that scythe.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
:smith:

I look at reaver/assault squads. Then I look at Locutarus. Then I look back at the reaver squads and assault squads. And then I cry a little.

WHY FORGEWORLD. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GIVE THE ULTRAMARINES ALL THE GOOD RULES.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Reavers are actually pretty good. They have Outflank by default, an extra attack base, aren't locked into being jump infantry, can take a tremendous amount of special weapons, are easy to turn into troops, and can take a Dreadclaw as a dedicated transport by default.

panascope fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 20, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
someone once posted a how to 30k as raven guard thing a while back

anyone have it?

I'm trying to figure out how to run mor deythan and failing miserably

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
buddy wants to do his with combi flamers in the darkwing, sounds solid enough using their TL-rending ability on a unit.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Reavers are basically more niche veterans, which are good units in their own rite (see what I did there?). Being able to take them as troops without Pride of the Legion is a big boon.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Speaking of which, other than Pride of the Legion, which legions have ways of getting units other than tac/assault squads as compulsory troops? I know there's Maloghurst for Reavers and Zardu Lardass for Ashen Circle, do the other legions have anything?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Shazaminator posted:

Speaking of which, other than Pride of the Legion, which legions have ways of getting units other than tac/assault squads as compulsory troops? I know there's Maloghurst for Reavers and Zardu Lardass for Ashen Circle, do the other legions have anything?

Sons of Horus: Reavers and Veterans via their RoW.
Night Lords: Terror Squads as Compulsory via their RoW.
Death Guard: Veterans and Heavy Supports as non-Compulsory via their RoW.
Salamanders: Pyroclasts as non-Compulsory via their RoW.
Iron Warriors: Tyrants as (non-Compulsory?) via their RoW.

There's probably more but I can't remember what the other legions get from their RoW.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

BirdieBedtime posted:

The thing with Gal Vorbak is they absolutely tower over any other Legion model, especially if you give their basing a bit of extra polish. Even if you hold that Death Guard down there up so their feet are level, the Word Bearer still has a solid head on him. Many of the joins between parts are fairly smooth, and there are areas that would take a saw pretty well, so there's plenty room to add some variation with a bit of elbow grease.

Also, holy poo poo I need to repaint that scythe.

This is truth. I didn't realize until putting them together how big the Gal Vorbak were but the pricetag on them makes a lot more sense seeing them in person. There's no indication of their size on the Forgeworld site and just about every picture I've seen of them is on their own with no sense of scale.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

someone once posted a how to 30k as raven guard thing a while back

anyone have it?

I'm trying to figure out how to run mor deythan and failing miserably

Having them come in a darkwing duckship seems great.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Can someone offer any feedback on the Skirmish-type rules that are in HH book 3 (I think?)

This thing sounds like my bag, and my club is pretty into the 30K, so I might try and get a campaign going next year.

I would want to have Word Bearers incl. Gal Vorbak in my warband, are there any other traitor legions that would fit alongside both thematically and gameplay wise?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
:effort:

+++ New Roster (1992pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1992pts) ++

+ HQ (497pts) +

Legion Centurion (352pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Bolter (2pts), Cameleoline (5pts), Refractor Field (10pts)]
··Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (240pts) [Enhanced Targeting Array (30pts)]
····Castellax (105pts) [Darkfire Cannon (20pts)]
····Castellax (105pts) [Darkfire Cannon (20pts)]
··Consul (35pts)
····Praevian (35pts) [Cortex Controller]

Strike Captain Alvarex Maun (145pts) [Cameleoline (5pts)]
··Master of the Legion [Decapitation Strike]

+ Troops (800pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (260pts) [Legion Tactical Sergeant, 19x Legion Tactical Space Marines (190pts), Nuncio-Vox (10pts)]

Legion Tactical Squad (260pts) [Legion Tactical Sergeant, 19x Legion Tactical Space Marines (190pts), Nuncio-Vox (10pts)]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (140pts) [5x Legion Space Marines (75pts), Volkite Calivers (25pts)]
··Legion Sergeant [Bolter and Augury Scanner]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (140pts) [5x Legion Space Marines (75pts), Volkite Calivers (25pts)]
··Legion Sergeant [Bolter and Augury Scanner]

+ Elites (580pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (150pts)
··Legion Apothecary (50pts) [Augury Scanner (5pts)]

Legion Mortis Dreadnought (160pts) [Havoc Launcher (15pts), Two Twin-linked Missile Launchers (20pts)]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (270pts) [Legion Veteran Sergeant, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines (135pts), 2x Missile Launcher with Suspensor Web and Flakk Missiles (70pts), Sniper]

+ Heavy Support (115pts) +

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius (115pts)

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XIX: Raven Guard]

Created with BattleScribe

Tank hunters for the Castellax, taking all saves on a comedy t7 2+/5++ invuln/3+ in cover centurion, Maun with the vets, apothecaries with the blobs and the vets

gently caress yo reserves

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't know DG that well, but I went through the rules and here are my suggestions:
  • You should leverage your amazing ROW more. I think you might be falling into the deathstar trap here I mentioned earlier in the thread
  • I'd rather you take a spartan than have armoured ceramite and hunter killer on your phobos
  • Drop the tactical squads and run heavy support squads or veteran tactical squads instead. Consider a tactical support squad with x10 flamers
  • A medusa or two would compliment this list very well
  • I'd stick to either one mortis dread or one deredeo, use the points saved to get yourself some proper long ranged anti tank
  • I'm not sure the Grave Warden squad will do much for you, honestly

Went back through my list and tried to make this as fluffy as I could for Death Guard. I'm not sure how I can drop the tactical squads though, I thought that vets/heavy support don't count as compulsory troop selections? I've cut back the death star by removing Typhon and I've gone for maximum chem/blast/flamer fun. I also can't justify the cost of a Spartan right now, so I'm sticking with the Phobos which I have. Will need to get some medusas though...

+++ Death Guard (2000pts) +++

+ HQ (315pts) +

Legion Centurion (130pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon]
····Consul [Siege Breaker]

Legion Praetor (185pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Iron Halo, The Barbaran Thurible]
····Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

+ Troops (640pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (170pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Squad (170pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (150pts) [Chem-munitions, 4x Legion Space Marines]
····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Dozer Blade]
····Legion Sergeant [Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (150pts) [Chem-munitions, 4x Legion Space Marines]

+ Elites (280pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (100pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Augury Scanner]
····Legion Apothecary [Augury Scanner]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

+ Heavy Support (765pts) +

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (455pts) [4x Grave Warden Terminator]
····Land Raider Phobos [Dozer Blade]

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (310pts)
····Legion Medusa [Phosphex Shells]
····Legion Medusa [Phosphex Shells]

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Your list is shaping up dude. You are right, I misread your rite of war. Can't take heavy weapon squads as compulsory troops choices :( You can take heavy support squads with x10 shredding heavy flamers thought :getin:

I like this list more. I would consider dropping the siege breaker and phosphex medusa shells as they are worse than regular shells imo. Also 100 points for apothecaries on smaller squads probably isn't worth it. I'd rather have more bodies in your support squads. You can use those points to get yourself a more meaty HQ or some more anti tank. You could probably fit in a dodo dread or rapier battery to help you punch through heavy armour better. x2 medusas, x3 rapiers, and a mortis is a good mix of support units imo.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the Siege Breaker is a lot of points just to open up the Phosphex shells, but those shells scream Death Guard to me :getin:

I could drop out the Siege Breaker and Apothecaries and add in the Deredeo. This also gives me enough points to put a Paragon Blade on my Praetor. I'm trying to stay at 30 PA marines simply because I don't want to buy another Calth box if I can avoid it:

+++ Death Guard (2000pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2000pts) ++

+ HQ (195pts) +

Legion Praetor (195pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Paragon Blade, The Barbaran Thurible]
····Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

+ Troops (640pts) +

+ Elites (180pts) +

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

+ Heavy Support (985pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (220pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher]

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (455pts) [4x Grave Warden Terminator]
····Land Raider Phobos [Dozer Blade]

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (310pts) [Legion Medusa, Legion Medusa]

Thanks for all the advice, helpful Pokemans. I suppose I could get more PA marines off eBay now, I haven't looked at what the MKIV Tac Squads are selling for.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
List building in 30k seems infinitely more strategic then in 40k. It's quite a shame that Thousand Suns have always been my favorite Pre/Heresy-era legion, here's hoping they won't be a giant turd.