Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

icantfindaname posted:

Do you have to do anything special for that to work? I've assigned settlers to supply lines for three settlements connected to the first one near the vault, and the lines show up in the pip boy, but the inventories aren't shared

I don't know if it lets you completely share the inventory, or just use the connected ones when you build things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Is "50 Minute Man" supposed to be a thinly veiled reference to blowing your load? Because, for some reason, I find that song a lot more weird and disturbing/distracting than "Butcher Pete".

Ironically Butcher Pete is not about loving but is indeed about a serial killer

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know if it lets you completely share the inventory, or just use the connected ones when you build things.

Supply lines only really track Junk and Aid items far as I can tell. If you dump a laser pistol in Nordhagen Beach you can't pick it up from Red Rocket.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think shooting feels a lot more fun in FO4. It's really satisfying to watch a robot slowly disintegrate under your fire, and have the damage actually effect their abilities. Or going into VATS and removing a feral's leg so it stops being a fast moving threat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah the limb crippling is so much more satisfying and effective in these game than the other 3D Fallouts. Its really cool to blow off an Assaultrons legs with a mine and watch it angrily crawl towards you, still intent on frying you with a death beam.

icantfindaname posted:

Do you have to do anything special for that to work? I've assigned settlers to supply lines for three settlements connected to the first one near the vault, and the lines show up in the pip boy, but the inventories aren't shared

The way I heard it works is the items won't be physically shared but if you try to build or craft anything in connected settlements, it will draw resources from all of their inventories. So if you put 25 steel in one settlement and went to another, you wouldn't find that steel inside any of the workbenches there but if you built something you would still be able to use it.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

effectual posted:

So how is this game?

I never played a Fallout game before until I tried New Vegas a few days ago, and it sucks. The gameplay is similar to Skyrim but clunkier and a lot more limited, the guns seem pretty weak (like 5-10 headshots just to take down 1 guy?) and healing is abysmal with most food/water just healing like 1-2 points. I'd try a demo of F4 but don't see one on the steam page for it.

I even tried making a 'fun' alt with like 1 intelligence and charisma because I heard in the Fallout games that left you as a mute that couldn't even do dialogue with people but was getting the same options as my other character.

New Vegas was an RPG and it showed. In the beginning a low-level character with no skills / perks and starter weapons is meant to do poo poo damage and have a hard time.

4 is less of an RPG and has considerably better gunplay but it isn't on par with Destiny or Blops Ops 3. This is more accessible and more of a gun game than 3 / NV, but if Skyrim with guns isn't your thing than you should probably skip it.

E: New Vegas and 3 were clunky and hard to play. This has a faster pace but it is definitely not a pure shooter. It is a game where you do this:

Rookersh posted:

Also am I the only person running 9 Cha/10 Int? Because this is outright broken.

I'm set at permanent 19% HP, thanks to my rads pushing me down that far. That means I'm at permanent Nerd Rage ... I also have Bloody Mess ( 15% ), Lone Wanderer ( 25% ), and Black Widow ...

Between Toughness/Nerd Rage/Lone Wanderer perma procced up, plus being always in Power Armor thanks to Nuclear Physicist, I take between 1-2 damage per hit, if I do get hit. I can go afk in combat and come back, and I'll still be around 15% health. Nothing can kill me, or hell, even do damage to me ... And since I'm doing 195% increased damage to everything around me, nothing can survive any of my attacks.

Which would be silly enough, except for Wasteland Whisperer. I'm now of the level I can use it on Deathclaws I meet in the world ... So I have a pack of about 3-4ish Deathclaws that just follow me everywhere, and will MURDER EVERYTHING that attempts to get near me. From testing, they actually get all the benefits of Inspirational ( like Dogmeat ), while also not taking away Lone Wanderer ( like Dogmeat ).

titties fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 19, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bear in mind that the guy who asked about the game and complained about the combat in other FOs was complaining about bullet spongey enemies, and someone liable to complain about that in New Vegas is probably not going to be patient enough to handle getting good at FO4. Also food and water being poo poo for heals but that's obviously different.

Rpg-feelings about footshots are another topic entirely. The combat is less janky than previous games but still basically feels like Fallout rather than a proper shooter. This isn't even a controversial opinion.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Speaking of the DVD, I don't think Fallout 4 is the only game following the trend of putting a minimal amount on the DVD/only the Steam installer to download the rest online.

Why are companies doing this? Why inconvenience customers so much? Why bother putting out a physical copy if you're going to be downloading the majority of the game anyways?

There's this sort of unspoken attitude among companies (and players) of "Heh. You don't have high-speed internet in 2015? What a chump. :smug:" which is incredibly annoying. I say this as a high-speed-internet-haver.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Does anyone know how to spawn Emogene Cabot to fix the quest where you are sent to find them? They just never spawned for me, and the quest log is telling me to go back to the quest giver, but they won't talk to me. I kind of forget how spawning NPCs is meant to work in the TES console. I tried 'player.placeatme 00047EBA' (which is what I get in the console when I enter 'find emogene') but that complains that it's not a valid object reference id.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I think it's incredibly lovely that wikis and articles about companions are spoiling the poo poo out of a companions twist for the sake of being technically more accurate.

more specifically, paladin danse

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Speaking of the DVD, I don't think Fallout 4 is the only game following the trend of putting a minimal amount on the DVD/only the Steam installer to download the rest online.

Why are companies doing this? Why inconvenience customers so much? Why bother putting out a physical copy if you're going to be downloading the majority of the game anyways?

There's this sort of unspoken attitude among companies (and players) of "Heh. You don't have high-speed internet in 2015? What a chump. :smug:" which is incredibly annoying. I say this as a high-speed-internet-haver.

If you don't have at least a 60 mbps in tyool 2015 I don't know what to tell you :smug:

Also, why is the hug box thread still open?

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 19, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I have no idea about incomplete amounts on the disk, but only putting on the installer is probably just being cheap and/or lazy. The Steam installer is really easy to put on, and works well enough, so if you've got a really thoughtless or profit-minded company like Konami with Phantom Pain then they're probably doing it because they don't give enough of a poo poo to not.

Other times it might be a mistake or stupidity, though. I got Pillars of Eternity on disk, and you could tell from comparing the size of the disk and the size of the download that the whole game is there... it's just that the installer links straight to Steam, completely ignoring what's on the disk.

And just restating the question so I can get an answer: has anyone tried and had issues with the same sex marriage save on the Nexus? I don't see anyone's had any, but I want to be sure.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly? It's a Bethesda game. If you run into technical issues then you run into technical issues, just walk it off and hope it's not like a gamebreaker or anything. If you don't, then be glad you didn't and enjoy the game.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Also, why is the hug box thread still open?

People needed a hug box thread? :cripes:

sensitive-rear end motherfuckers

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

The Insect Court posted:

So is there much of a point to automatic weapons? Or pistols, to a lesser extent? Non-auto has superior per bullet damage, which seems to help more in punching through high armor enemies(and are armor piercing mods actually worth it?) and helps you preserve ammo for the rarer types. Non-auto rifles also seem to be the most versatile ranged weapon class as well, you can do immense damage up close with a combat shotgun while also having sniper rifles for long range combat.

Automatic seemed manageable for the ballistic weapons, but not so much for energy. Even with the best mods, recoil causes my plasma and laser rifles to shoot up into the sky. Dragging downwards while spraying will counter it but I prefer suppressed sniper versions with sneak/ninja perks anyway. The instigator legendary mod that doubles the damage on full health targets is also my favourite prefix so far since almost everything dies in one shot to the head.

MohShuvuu fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 19, 2015

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Why are companies doing this?

There's 4.7GB of data on the DVD because that's the amount a single layer DVD will hold.

They couldn't ship it on bluray because that isn't really a thing on pcs but I guess they could've pulled an Xbox 360 and put it on 3 dual layer dvds if they really wanted to.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It got to the point where diehards were defending the gamebryo engine, saying bugs weren't a bethesda problem. Thus, the thread for pansy rear end"sane" people.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Honestly? It's a Bethesda game. If you run into technical issues then you run into technical issues, just walk it off and hope it's not like a gamebreaker or anything. If you don't, then be glad you didn't and enjoy the game.

I think it started out because when this thread began it was mostly about preemptively declaring how much the game would suck just based on a teaser.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*watches 5 minutes clip*

:goonsay: This game is hot garbage

*FALLOUT 4 SELLS 1.87 MILLION DIGITAL COPIES IN 3 DAYS*

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
http://i.imgur.com/hfJGfDw.gifv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLfIC9njdfU

Goddamnit Cait, stop jinxing it

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The other thread is really the exact same as this one.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bholder posted:

The other thread is really the exact same as this one.

It is now that the game is actually out. But the other thread seems to get more "Hey I found a weird goofy thing in the wasteland" stuff rather than the weird arguments that crop up here.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I think it's incredibly lovely that wikis and articles about companions are spoiling the poo poo out of a companions twist for the sake of being technically more accurate.
What do you expect? They're encyclopedias.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Great

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's the thought that counts.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Turtlicious posted:

*watches 5 minutes clip*

:goonsay: This game is hot garbage

*FALLOUT 4 SELLS 1.87 MILLION DIGITAL COPIES IN 3 DAYS*

Meanwhile it's getting metabombed worse than Dragons Age 2.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Great²

(reddit)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Meanwhile it's getting metabombed worse than Dragons Age 2.

holy gently caress

:stare:

do game publishers give the metacritic bonus based on critic reviews or player reviews?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

icantfindaname posted:

holy gently caress

do game publishers give the metacritic bonus based on critic reviews or player reviews?

Critic, if it was player no one would be getting their bonuses.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

icantfindaname posted:

holy gently caress

Critic. As I recall, New Vegas' bonus was set one point above the ranking it actually got.

Fallout 4's critic rating is five points lower than 3's. I'm sure that says something, but I have no idea what since I'm pretty sure 3's takes GOTY edition reviews and such into account.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Critic. As I recall, New Vegas' bonus was set one point above the ranking it actually got.

Fallout 4's critic rating is five points lower than 3's. I'm sure that says something, but I have no idea what since I'm pretty sure 3's takes GOTY edition reviews and such into account.

It does say something.

It says Metacritic is bad and useless.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bholder posted:

It does say something.

It says Metacritic is bad and useless.

And yet bonuses are tied to review scores, if those aren't outright paid for. It's the perception of quality that's important, and getting metabombed fucks that up.

E:I can't help but find it hilarious that DA2 is just as well reviewed among official critics as Fallout 4.

Hey let's play a game, is this a DA2 or FO4 user review? "Dragon Age 2 is a great RPG for PC and consoles, but it lacks a bit of complexity."

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 19, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

holy gently caress

"Can't marry a robot, 0/10"

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

And yet bonuses are tied to review scores, if those aren't outright paid for. It's the perception of quality that's important, and getting metabombed fucks that up.

Fallout 4 is breaking sales records, it seems like the perception of quality is pretty high. That more than anything else demonstrates how useless metacritic has become - not only do the reviews not reflect popular opinion, but it's also obvious that everyone ignores them.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MohShuvuu posted:

Automatic seemed manageable for the ballistic weapons, but not so much for energy. Even with the best mods, recoil causes my plasma and laser rifles to shoot up into the sky. Dragging downwards while spraying will counter it but I prefer suppressed sniper versions with sneak/ninja perks anyway. The instigator legendary mod that doubles the damage on full health targets is also my favourite prefix so far since almost everything dies in one shot to the head.

Yeah I have an instigator sniper rifle and the Overseer's Guardian (modded to hell with a long barrel and poo poo) and I basically one-shot everything.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Chalks posted:

Fallout 4 is breaking sales records, it seems like the perception of quality is pretty high. That more than anything else demonstrates how useless metacritic has become - not only do the reviews not reflect popular opinion, but it's also obvious that everyone ignores them.

Sure, that's a reasonable conclusion. Alternatively, there are a poo poo ton of nerds with apocalypse fantasies.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Upgraded my old rear end laptop's RAM and got this puppy running. I just finished clearing out the Corvega Factory. How long until I can get a Power Fist? I've had the most fun in old Fallouts playing Unarmed.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Kimmalah posted:

"Can't marry a robot, 0/10"

You can though

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Sure, that's a reasonable conclusion. Alternatively, there are a poo poo ton of nerds with apocalypse fantasies.

Well I think that's a given, but Fallout seems to have a really broad reach this time around. Loads of people I know who I wouldn't classify as "gamers" (people who play CoD on a console from time to time, or only really play casual games) have bought it.

Maybe it's because of the popularity of Skyrim, but Fallout 4 seems to have taken off way more than I expected.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It can be both.

If nerds weren't fantasizing about apocalypses we wouldn't have had to wade through a sea of zombie stuff last decade. If people didn't think Fallout games were good they'd be ignoring this one like they do Halo. You have to lose a lot of faith to drop that far and this game is easily better than FO3 so that's not happening anytime soon.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

titties posted:

You can though

I didn't think you could actually marry it, I just figured it was just one of those "romances" like the others in the game. If nothing else, I'm sure someone out there is genuinely pissed that some specific NPC can't be their waifu just like they were with Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

titties posted:

You can though

It's a straight/lezbot though. Or what I like to call the experibot.

Kimmalah posted:

I didn't think you could actually marry it, I just figured it was just one of those "romances" like the others in the game. If nothing else, I'm sure someone out there is genuinely pissed that some specific NPC can't be their waifu just like they were with Skyrim.

Dude you have no idea how much I want to bone Deacon. I have to settle for loving Maccready because developers never give me fuckable dudes I like and furthermore :sperg:

• Locked thread