Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Kimmalah posted:

I didn't think you could actually marry it, I just figured it was just one of those "romances" like the others in the game. If nothing else, I'm sure someone out there is genuinely pissed that some specific NPC can't be their waifu just like they were with Skyrim.

Well yeah it is the same as the other romances but it's as close as anyone's getting in the wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

titties posted:

Well yeah it is the same as the other romances but it's as close as anyone's getting in the wasteland.

So basically you can't. Time for a scathing review on metacritic! :v:

They really ought to bring back the marriage-as-moneymaking-scheme system they had in Elder Scrolls.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Curie marriage mod incoming.

also curie body mods

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I sold both of the wedding rings first chance I got and I'm pretty sure there aren't anymore of them so no one is ever getting married again!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

NecroMonster posted:

I sold both of the wedding rings first chance I got and I'm pretty sure there aren't anymore of them so no one is ever getting married again!

I gave mine to Piper and we're very happy

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
When I look at the sun through some trees I'm getting a weird...thing? What is it and how do I stop it from happening?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yeah, if you put stock into Metacritic at all, and you're working at Bethesda, Fallout 4's status on it isn't good news. It means any combination of these things is true:

-Metacritic is, indeed, pretty bloody useless as an aggregate.
-There's a massive gulf between critic and user reviews, suggesting that critics aren't speaking to or for the people who actually buy the games.
-There is a BIG backlash against the changes made in Fallout 4, even if it is a loud minority. Some pretty hefty crowds got pissed off.
-Fallout 4, the most ambitious thing Bethesda's ever done, is at best tied for the worst-received of their games critically (Morrowind is also at 89). It's by far the worst-received of their games by user reviews.

Again, this matters exactly as much as you let it. I personally think these mean things, even if they aren't the be all and end all, and you can't read the outlook as positive without throwing some part of the package out.

EDIT: vv Yep, that's gonna happen, and Metacritic isn't changing poo poo about that. That's another one. But again, if it means anything then it's that perhaps the ambitions of Fallout 4 weren't even worth it, given they're making mad bank despite it being considered their worst game by whatever other metric you can find.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 19, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Fallout 4 is going to make over a billion dollars by itself and it will do it really quickly.

lmao

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
The Diamond City face sculptor or whatever he was called isn't around in my game, don't ask why. Are there any others? I tried the showracemenu command, but that doesn't work here.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Dongattack posted:

The Diamond City face sculptor or whatever he was called isn't around in my game, don't ask why. Are there any others? I tried the showracemenu command, but that doesn't work here.

Showlooksmenu 1 for face modding, 2 for hair and beard style. Be sure to be sitting down and the camera adjusted to see your face well.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ak Gara posted:

When I look at the sun through some trees I'm getting a weird...thing? What is it and how do I stop it from happening?

Setting the Godrays setting on anything but Ultra will result in pixelization.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

more like god dammit rays

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Mine are on ultra and poo poo is still pixelated. Especially when loading poo poo a hundred feet in front of me. I, like with much else, just chalk it up to Bethesda.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I turned 'em off.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I put god rays on low and I haven't noticed anything like that in 60 hours so, idk. Sounds nitpicky to me.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Dongattack posted:

if you did the quest then dr. sun takes over for those duties, talk to him

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Showlooksmenu 1 for face modding, 2 for hair and beard style. Be sure to be sitting down and the camera adjusted to see your face well.
for showlooksmenu 1 if you enter and leave the body part it'll correct the camera and put you in the mode perfectly

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Liking the game, can't really get into the townbuilding though. I'm not into minecraft, and the townbuilding seems to be a lovely version of that.

I wish the towns would turn into something themselves. Like I can go back to it and tinker with it every once in awhile and give the local economy a shot in the arm and bring supplies and stuff, but they'd actually do poo poo while I'm gone. The communities should be developing their own politics and quirks and one day it looks sorta like one of the fully-fleshed-out towns like Diamond City. It never seems to happen though; all the settlers are just worker drones that put their thumbs up their asses whenever I'm not there to tell them what to do.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I put god rays on low and I haven't noticed anything like that in 60 hours so, idk. Sounds nitpicky to me.

Lawsy, don't pick the nits miss daisy, wouldn't want to hurt a feeling.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Once you have the Trading Emporium version of a store, is there any reason to keep the previous two types hanging around?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Once you have the Trading Emporium version of a store, is there any reason to keep the previous two types hanging around?

No. I invested caps into the big ones and it took about a week or two for them to have a not-completely-lovely inventory. I was also using them to dump items I've been collecting too, so that may have helped.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Setting the Godrays setting on anything but Ultra will result in pixelization.

The one thing I didn't change! :)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No. I invested caps into the big ones and it took about a week or two for them to have a not-completely-lovely inventory. I was also using them to dump items I've been collecting too, so that may have helped.

Cheers, thank you. Sanctuary's main road is starting to look messy with all these stools. :argh:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Is a mini-nuke actually possible in real life? I read somewhere that nuclear weapons need a minimum amount of nuclear material called "critical mass" for them to explode at all, and thus have a minimum amount of explosive power.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Fereydun posted:

if you did the quest then dr. sun takes over for those duties, talk to him

for showlooksmenu 1 if you enter and leave the body part it'll correct the camera and put you in the mode perfectly

Neat, cheers!

Unrelated, i finally traced the potentially gamebreaking bug of seemingly random NPCs being hostile, to the power armor helmet mod that highlights people in red. It's shittily coded as if a 5 year old did it, errr sorry i mean it's been coded by Bethesda and as such some NPC sees it as an attack. So don't use that i guess.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

Is a mini-nuke actually possible in real life? I read somewhere that nuclear weapons need a minimum amount of nuclear material called "critical mass" for them to explode at all, and thus have a minimum amount of explosive power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_%28nuclear_device%29

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
For some reason my .308 chambered combat rifle far outstrips my .50 sniper for damage despite the latter being more powerful. Both guns have no special properties.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

Yes but they were never used in combat.

Most of the damage from nukes comes from the immense heat and force generated by the blast. The explosion itself doesn't do nearly as much damage.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Took a 25 dmg bleed plasma rifle, turned it into a plasmathrower, and I am finding it to be surprisingly fantastic. It puts out a pretty insane amount of dps and doesn't require anything even remotely resembling precision. Super useful against melee enemies and in close quarters. Tough legendaries melt nearly instantaneously. After being severely disappointed by the regular flamethrower, it's good to see that its green cousin is actually worthwhile.

I'm not sure what perk increases its damage though. I figured it would be commando so I consoled 5 points in there just to test and see if the damage changed, but it didn't. None of the others make a whole lot of sense. Hopefully I'm getting something out of either my 5/5 Big Guns or Rifleman.

Currently rocking that plasmathrower for very close range, a combat shotgun for trivial enemies at close-mid range, a gatling laser for midrange, and a gauss sniper for long range. It's working out very well.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
OK. But a real mini-nuke would have to be much more powerful than the ones we see in the game, right? That Davy Crockett thing sounds like it could easily take out several city blocks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's probably Big Guns.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

OK. But a real mini-nuke would have to be much more powerful than the ones we see in the game, right? That Davy Crockett thing sounds like it could easily take out several city blocks.

Yes because videogames.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yeah, I think a Davy Crockett's actual yield would be closer to what we saw when one appeared in MGS3. But it's all theoretical.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

The Davy Crockett that was posted is a fission device and the Fallout wiki says the mini-nuke is too but if it was a fusion device, it could be as small a yield as you like.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
There's a quarry in the north-eastern zone which has this tunnel complex that showed a very brief flashback of some people gathered in prayer. What was that all about? The place was meant to be creepy, but there's nothing special about feral ghouls.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Idk, you don't notice the pixelation during broad daylight or during the night, but during dawn or dusk when the sun is blinding the pixelation is pretty goddamn noticeable. It's a minor thing but it sure as hell doesn't add anything for me, and supposedly costs a lot of processing power.

I turned them off (by setting the preset to Low and moving everything up again) and all was fixed.

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

Loaded my save before leaving the vault because I wanted to try melee out and it overwrote all of my other saves. There goes 18 hours, guess this is my new playthrough.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

according to famed documentary 'metal gear solid 3' you're correct

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So is the Cryolator supposed to hit like a wet noodle? I'd seen people say it might be the best weapon in the game, but the one magazine of ammo I used on Sawn did nothing and it took almost all of the rest of ammo it comes with to kill one Deathclaw outside Virgil's cave. I thought it was supposed to freeze dudes, does that only work on smaller weak enemies like raiders?

e: also, I found a Sentinel Missile base in the Glowing Sea and cleared the place out without finding much of note, is there a quest attached to the place or is it just somewhere to explore?

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Generic Monk posted:

according to famed documentary 'metal gear solid 3' you're correct

Hold on! The MGS3 ones were "experimental" and contained a "vastly higher yield". Totes. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
did i just get suplexed by a death claw

• Locked thread