Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Anyone have a Wounding shotgun, or other weapon that can be modded to become a shotgun? I'm curious to see if the bleed property is applied per pellet; the DPS of that ought to be insanely efficient if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

isndl posted:

Anyone have a Wounding shotgun, or other weapon that can be modded to become a shotgun? I'm curious to see if the bleed property is applied per pellet; the DPS of that ought to be insanely efficient if so.

It is. poo poo's wacky.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I just noticed now that objects in the world that I have tagged for search are highlighted in green. This is new. I didn't fiddle with the settings. Was there a recent patch?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've seen people post about that, and even post pics, and I have never had it happen. It's probably bugged in some way.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Baron Bifford posted:

I just noticed now that objects in the world that I have tagged for search are highlighted in green. This is new. I didn't fiddle with the settings. Was there a recent patch?

You have the Scrapper 2 perk!

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Baron Bifford posted:

Scrapper rank 2 does this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, gently caress.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Iceshade posted:

Hold on! The MGS3 ones were "experimental" and contained a "vastly higher yield". Totes. :colbert:

maybe electric dude charged them with super saiyan energy or something :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey, I can't start the Shadow of Steel quest because every time I talk to Danse he just asks me if I want to join the Brotherhood, to which I have already declined. My objective is to talk to him, but he won't do it about the quest, so I can't move on. What do I do about this?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well, that's a brotherhood quest so you probably can't complete it because you turned down joining the brotherhood

e: there's literally no reason to turn down joining them, and in fact locks you out of accessing the prydwen (which has a gauss rifle you can steal) so just join and backstab them later

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 19, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

OK. But a real mini-nuke would have to be much more powerful than the ones we see in the game, right? That Davy Crockett thing sounds like it could easily take out several city blocks.

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/classic/

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

There's a quarry in the north-eastern zone which has this tunnel complex that showed a very brief flashback of some people gathered in prayer. What was that all about? The place was meant to be creepy, but there's nothing special about feral ghouls.

It's a reference to a prewar ghoul cult from FO3.

I hope you found the unique weapon hidden in the pool of water in that flashback room.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

well, that's a brotherhood quest so you probably can't complete it because you turned down joining the brotherhood

That's really stupid, because it gave it to me for just observing a major cinematic event out in the world. Not letting me do the quest or even giving me ANY information about it after basically forcing it into my quest log is fuckin' dumb. I can't even ask him, "hey what was that big loving blimp in the sky" and then be like "oh I don't want to help you out with that".

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So, I beat the game. A few thoughts.

I decided to play "gently caress the Institute" and bide my time for the right time to mow everyone down in there. Hell I initially just blew Father away after getting down there, I don't know what I expected. In NV it would have kicked you onto a different quest track, but this is Bethesda. It just locks you into the room.

So I played along undercover for the Railroad. The battle at Bunker Hill was uh...Glitchy. I shot up the Institute and Brotherhood dudes outside, then went down the hatch. And everything down there was un-hittable and the turrets could still blast my armor bits off. Apparently to continue the undercover path you just take over the surface and don't even go down there? It's as clear as mud.

Met Father on the roof, told him to get hosed. And that failed the mass synth breakout...I figured it would have rolled that into the final assault, but hahaha nope.

The Railroad whined they didn't have enough dudes, told me to go ask the Minutemen for help in the final assault. Okay, that sounds good, I figured we'd just join forces. Hahaha nope, when you go ask the Minutemen for help it considers you're just going with them for the final battle. Which was pretty dumb since I had mainly been working with the Railroad. Again, clear as mud. It never said explicitly "You're going to pick whichever faction takes down the Institute because we're too loving lazy to have them team up". This is utterly stupid because the Railroad literally tells you "Maybe you could see if the Minutemen could help us" or something like that. HELP, not go with them for the entire finale.

I didn't think the whole "twist" with Father was that bad. Not nearly as bad as the Institute overall. The entire plot of the game could have not happened if they had been less retarded. "So we're going to kidnap this baby for THE FUTURE. Maybe we should take the parents along, and convince them to join us? Nah gently caress that, just kill one and give the other a reason to come looking for payback."

Not to mention if their whole thing was they needed pre-war humans, why did they just take one baby and murder the other hundred or so frozen people? It can't just be because they wanted an infant, when Kellog literally calls you "the backup". What the gently caress, Institute.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What are the beast sources of gears for crafting?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I think a Davy Crockett's actual yield would be closer to what we saw when one appeared in MGS3. But it's all theoretical.

No it isn't, they test fired those things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Feller_%28nuclear_tests%29

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

That's really stupid, because it gave it to me for just observing a major cinematic event out in the world. Not letting me do the quest or even giving me ANY information about it after basically forcing it into my quest log is fuckin' dumb. I can't even ask him, "hey what was that big loving blimp in the sky" and then be like "oh I don't want to help you out with that".

it's actually not stupid that you can't continue the brotherhood quest without joining the brotherhood, what is wrong with you

the next step to the quest is literally "join the brotherhood"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Where in the main plot do you guys suggest I get to before focusing more on pissing about? I've met Piper in Diamond City but wandered off and got distracted prettying up Sanctuary. Should I unlock all the factions and then start loving about, or what?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it doesn't matter at all, but you do unlock a companion by beating the battle for bunker hill that you may or may not want to use

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's actually not stupid that you can't continue the brotherhood quest without joining the brotherhood, what is wrong with you

the next step to the quest is literally "join the brotherhood"

Do you seriously not see the problem in having a big showy thing happen and then not being able to even have it addressed by the person the game tells you to talk to? I would be fine if he said "you're not in the brotherhood, so you can't help us, but here's what that crazy poo poo was". But he doesn't do that. He just asks me to join again, which is the same dialogue from the previous quest, which I cannot end by just saying 'no' which is dumb. It's mind-bogglingly dumb. It's a perfect demonstration of the lack of foresight put into this game's quest chains.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Manatee Cannon posted:

it doesn't matter at all, but you do unlock a companion by beating the battle for bunker hill that you may or may not want to use

OK cool, guess I'll get there and just piss about then. Wasn't sure if anything important unlocked after story quests.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Do you seriously not see the problem in having a big showy thing happen and then not being able to even have it addressed by the person the game tells you to talk to? I would be fine if he said "you're not in the brotherhood, so you can't help us, but here's what that crazy poo poo was". But he doesn't do that. He just asks me to join again, which is the same dialogue from the previous quest, which I cannot end by just saying 'no' which is dumb. It's mind-bogglingly dumb.

he asks you to join again because getting on the brotherhood flagship requires you to be a member of the brotherhood

being a member is also required to do brotherhood quests, because of course it does, which is why you can't complete the brotherhood quest

you already know what it is because they loving blare out who they are and what the blimp is over a megaphone as it flies by you

there is no problem with this and you are being absurd

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ak Gara posted:

The Davy Crockett that was posted is a fission device and the Fallout wiki says the mini-nuke is too but if it was a fusion device, it could be as small a yield as you like.

Just for argument's sake, seeing as they've pretty much mastered nuclear science (robots, cars, fusion-cored power armor, etc), the Fat Man mini-nukes are probably a combination of price, weight and yield. (especially going by Fort Strong's notes). It's not so much that they're surprisingly small blasts for a nuclear device, but that they're man-portable and won't vaporize the poor bastard pulling the trigger in a hectic firefight.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

he asks you to join again because getting on the brotherhood flagship requires you to be a member of the brotherhood

being a member is also required to do brotherhood quests, because of course it does, which is why you can't complete the brotherhood quest

you already know what it is because they loving blare out who they are and what the blimp is over a megaphone as it flies by you

there is no problem with this and you are being absurd

My point that you are completely ignoring that I have said twice now is that there should be a difference between receiving information and doing the quest. This game does not allow you to say no to practically anything, and actively withholds plot poo poo from you if you take the out on the few occasions you are allowed to have a say in the matter. I don't want to be a member of the brotherhood, they're shitheads. I don't want to do the quest either. I want to know more about why that poo poo was here. But Danse gives me literally the same dialogue lines from the first quest I did with them, acting as if it didn't even occur in the game world. That's a fundamental problem with the writing. I can't know what I want to know unless I join the brotherhood, not because "it's a brotherhood quest", but because the developers didn't consider the situation where I would have said no to them in a previous unrelated issue but still wanted information, which is a recurring issue throughout the game. It's annoying and sloppy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CJacobs posted:

My point that you are completely ignoring that I have said twice now is that there should be a difference between receiving information and doing the quest. This game does not allow you to say no to practically anything, and actively withholds plot poo poo from you if you take the out on the few occasions you are allowed to have a say in the matter. I don't want to be a member of the brotherhood, they're shitheads. I don't want to do the quest either. I want to know more about why that poo poo was here. But Danse gives me literally the same dialogue lines from the first quest I did with them, acting as if it didn't even occur in the game world. That's a fundamental problem with the writing. I can't know what I want to know unless I join the brotherhood, not because "it's a brotherhood quest", but because the developers didn't consider the situation where I would have said no to them in a previous unrelated issue but still wanted information, which is a recurring issue throughout the game. It's annoying and sloppy.

Yeah it's awkward and lazy. ~Bethesda games~

Just infiltrate the BoS by joining even if you don't really want to. That's basically what the game is assuming you're doing with every faction anyway and there's nothing stopping you from showing your true colors when it comes time to cross the point of no return.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there is no reason to get pissy about a quest showing up in your log, literally none. I am not ignoring what you have said; I am telling you it is ridiculous to get mad at this, which it is

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah it's awkward and lazy. ~Bethesda games~

Just infiltrate the BoS by joining even if you don't really want to. That's basically what the game is assuming you're doing with every faction anyway and there's nothing stopping you from showing your true colors when it comes time to cross the point of no return.
i did this and felt kinda robbed by one of the key missions because i was allied with everyone so it lost all impact and was actually really confusing
like i'm not sure if they designed the mission that way because it basically makes 0 sense whatsoever when you do that, especially in terms of it's conclusion
i've seen other people have the same confusion/gripes about that quest so it's not just something that hosed up in my game, either

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Personally I'm enjoying this game more than 3 and New Vegas, because I get to stride across the Commonwealth like a Steel Titan with my mighty armour, the story is irrelevant to me, because I came to this game to shoot dudes with lasers, and that's exactly what I got.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Who is supposed to say your character's name out loud? I gave myself a reasonably common name hoping to experience the MIRACLE of hearing my avatar's name voice acted, but so far no one did it once.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

woodenchicken posted:

Who is supposed to say your character's name out loud? I gave myself a reasonably common name hoping to experience the MIRACLE of hearing my avatar's name voice acted, but so far no one did it once.

nobody. I think the railroad boss referred to me as the wanderer once

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

woodenchicken posted:

Codsworth at the beginning and that's it

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Two more legendaries dead, two more metal chest pieces. Hell yeah my game is definitely broken

Drythe posted:

By the way, any weapon with bleeds target for 25 damage is OP as gently caress. More-so if it can be made automatic or is a shotgun.

This is because each shot stacks the bleed damage, so an automatic bleeding weapon can do hundreds of damage a second in bleeds, which ignores armor resistance.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Judge Tesla posted:

Personally I'm enjoying this game more than 3 and New Vegas, because I get to stride across the Commonwealth like a Steel Titan with my mighty armour, the story is irrelevant to me, because I came to this game to shoot dudes with lasers, and that's exactly what I got.

I've been playing this game since release, every other day. My clock is reaching about 1.5 days in-game (although I'm sure that's a lot of AFK time as well), level 21. I'm not even bored yet, unlike games like MGS5 and Skyrim where I lost interest in them by then.

Building a house and prancing about in pink power armour owns more than I would like to admit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You're both letting your rpg-feelings get in the way and you're all getting too worked up.

CJacobs is complaining that there's no dialogue for a non-BoS member to ask Danse about the Prydwen because Danse's scripting is trying to railroad him into joining the BoS. Congrats on finding that edge case there buddy.

Manatee Cannon is getting apoplectic that CJacobs is complaining at all and is focusing on the quest at hand rather than the dialogue issue he's complaining about, amusingly ignoring what CJacobs is actually saying to fixate on a different tangent altogether.

You don't have to start a blood feud over this, you nimrods.

Fereydun posted:

i did this and felt kinda robbed by one of the key missions because i was allied with everyone so it lost all impact and was actually really confusing
like i'm not sure if they designed the mission that way because it basically makes 0 sense whatsoever when you do that, especially in terms of it's conclusion
i've seen other people have the same confusion/gripes about that quest so it's not just something that hosed up in my game, either

Yeah you can't really escape quest jank in this game lmao

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

CJacobs posted:

How is it the Railroad knows so little about the Institute when they have so many synth escapees to interrogate?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Manatee Cannon is getting apoplectic that CJacobs is complaining at all and is focusing on the quest at hand rather than the dialogue issue he's complaining about, amusingly ignoring what CJacobs is actually saying to fixate on a different tangent altogether.

I guess that's fair

I just don't think the brotherhood, a group that does not talk to people ouside of their group, not telling you poo poo unless you're in their group is a problem

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I have about eight settlements and am level 16. I've only ever been attacked at settlements by a bloatfly and a dog. Is there a plot point that turns on settlement attacks?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I guess that's fair

I just don't think the brotherhood, a group that does not talk to people ouside of their group, not telling you poo poo unless you're in their group is a problem

I agree, though it's funny that in that situation it still just loops back to Danse's recruiting dialogue rather than leaving the option open that you might not be a BoS member by that point and acknowledging this possibility with even a single line of "No, you're not a member, gently caress you for asking." Which is closer to the core of what he was complaining about.

I just think it's funny because lol Bethesda. (this is a real spoiler lmao) also you can pretend that danse is just malfunctioning

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Baron Bifford posted:

How is it the Railroad knows so little about the Institute when they have so many synth escapees to interrogate?

This is addressed in the game, there's a failsafe when synths escape the institute and they can't remember poo poo about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baron Bifford posted:

Ask Nick Valentine - they all probably have the same hardwired memory lockouts.

• Locked thread