Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be fair, they also established if you get caught alone and totally unawares at close range by a Terminator without backup, you die, pure and simple.

I actually just finished rewatching the series (I was kind of dragging my feet for a bit because I'd gotten to the Three Dots episodes). It's still pretty good.

Milky Moor, are you planning on continuing your rewatch thread? Because I am so there if you are.

At this rate, given that there's a few people interested, I might as well! I'll see about getting it up on the weekend after watching a few episodes. I'll link it here when I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Milky Moor posted:

At this rate, given that there's a few people interested, I might as well! I'll see about getting it up on the weekend after watching a few episodes. I'll link it here when I do.

Awesome! It might be a good idea to stick a link to the CW Seed page in the OP for anyone who wants to follow long at home.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, in Terminator news, Genisys is out on DVD. Which also saw the commissioning of some very nice concept art of some post-Judgement Day cities. Also, Honest Trailers posted an...Honest Trailer for Terminator Genisys.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

those are really terrible images for something post judgement day considering you can still tell what cities those are.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Stairmaster posted:

those are really terrible images for something post judgement day considering you can still tell what cities those are.
Based on the article linked, having the cities be recognizable was intentional? :confused:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blind-bought Genisys on bluray, just got done watching it. gently caress the haters, this movie is great. I'm just about at the ending, and I'm loving how it takes familiar elements of the prior movies and remixes them in interesting and clever ways. The visual effects are super cool, I love the little touches like little liquid bits of the T-1000 getting shot off and reforming, and the acid-melting effects were cool as heck, you almost felt sorry for it as it wasted away. The Nano-John effects were also really cool, and they did clever things with it in the same vein as some of the stuff we saw in T2 with the T-1000 fighting Arnold in the steel mill. And to top it all off, the movie has this really cool blend of cyclical repetition of things from the prior movies with a sense of unpredictability where you aren't sure where it's going next, or how it will end (or what happens after the ending). It was really refreshing.

I hope we get another one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope we don't.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I hope we do.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I demand more Arnold.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

More Arnold, less Terminator. Tired of that poo poo being milked yo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

More Arnold, less Terminator. Tired of that poo poo being milked yo.
Nobody is forcing you to watch any sequels that get made.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xenomrph posted:

Nobody is forcing you to watch any sequels that get made.

Every Genisys sequel is getting in the way of other, better, Terminator movies that could be existing (like the oft-planned Sarah Connor Chronicles finale TV movie). :colbert:

Honestly, it feels like Genisys literally goes through a goddamn checklist of stuff from other, better, Terminator media and recycles it to get nerds frothing at the movie. It's all fanservice and no substance. Especially when they criminally waste JK Simmons but have Jai goddamn Courtney front and centre.

More Terminator, less Genisys, please.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
If Terminator G spared me from having to watch the loving show, then I support it all the more.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If Terminator G spared me from having to watch the loving show, then I support it all the more.

That show looks loving dire and if Genisys saves us from its Serenity then great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just saw this recently and I didn't really have a strong reaction to it one way or the other but I was very impressed by the young Arnold that they did with CGI. It really worked and it was pretty easy for me to forget that it was CGI at all. I guess if you have a character who hardly needs to speak or make any facial expressions CGI can do the job just fine. It looked a lot better than the CGI Arnold from Salvation though, so I guess the technology has improved a lot in those years.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

broken clock opsec posted:

That show looks loving dire and if Genisys saves us from its Serenity then great.
The show is great aside from some ultra slow episodes in season 2.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Please don't try to set up a situation where we must choose between Sarah Connor Chronicles and Genisys. Those are both bad futures I want no part of.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is someone holding a gun to your heads and forcing you guys to watch stuff you don't like and don't want to watch? If so can you please ask them to stop? :ohdear:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

broken clock opsec posted:

TSCC is the purest expression of the themes and apocalyptic revolutionary humanism of the first two films.

Terminator fans do not like it because it was done on a television budget.

Terminator fans also do not like Terminator (the first film).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Humanism? No thank you.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cardboard Box A posted:

Terminator fans do not like it because it was done on a television budget.

Terminator fans also do not like Terminator (the first film).
I'm a Terminator fan and I like both of those things (although the TV budget limitations do show through from time to time, it was never a dealbreaker for me).

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I like the T:G quite a bit. Lots of callbacks to the previous films done in great ways, I thought.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

I like the T:G quite a bit. Lots of callbacks to the previous films done in great ways, I thought.
The IMDb trivia page pointed out that the very end of the movie manages to have callbacks to the end of the first 3 Terminator movies in rapid succession, I didn't even pick up on that at first.

Water Sheep
Jan 6, 2013

Humanism? No thank you.

What are you talking about of course the Terminator movies are humanist...

Sarah Connor posted:

Watching John with the machine, it was suddenly so clear. The terminator, would never stop. It would never leave him, and it would never hurt him, never shout at him, or get drunk and hit him, or say it was too busy to spend time with him. It would always be there. And it would die, to protect him. Of all the would-be fathers who came and went over the years, this thing, this machine, was the only one who measured up. In an insane world, it was the sanest choice.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

Is someone holding a gun to your heads and forcing you guys to watch stuff you don't like and don't want to watch? If so can you please ask them to stop? :ohdear:

Head to the Walking Dead thread, I have never seen a thread so full of hate watchers in my life.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

I wish then I'd have an excuse

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Head to the Walking Dead thread, I have never seen a thread so full of hate watchers in my life.

My problem with Walking Dead is that there's a lot of people in my life that know I watch it and want to talk to me about it. Its easier to just say gently caress it and keep watching then to constantly have to explain to people that I don't like the show anymore, and then of course that inevitably leads to a whole discussion about why I don't.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

There's so much media in the world (both quality/classic stuff, and guilty-pleasure schlock) with new stuff coming out all the time, I can't fathom wasting my time on something I know I don't like.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TV shows are difficult to be loyal to, because there aren't really any that stay at the same consistent quality. Even good shows have bad seasons.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Actually the wire is perfect from beginning to end. Have you seen it? It's amazing.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Actually the wire is perfect from beginning to end. Have you seen it? It's amazing.

what about season 2

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

what about season 2

Its the second best season of the show.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Also if there's anything that a majority of goons are consistently wrong about, it's TV shows. Especially TVIV goons.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

yes its called intellectual property laws. only one group gets to make a terminator film at a time and right now it's a bunch of retards.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waroduce posted:

what about season 2

Season 2 freakin rules.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Stairmaster posted:

yes its called intellectual property laws. only one group gets to make a terminator film at a time and right now it's a bunch of retards.
But that doesn't force you to watch things you don't like :confused: No one is making you watch these movies

Also the rights to Terminator revert back to James Cameron in a few years anyway.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Humanism? No thank you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX25PDBb708

Zizek doesn't like humanism, oh no. But he does like radical revolutionary themes. Hmmm. What do to. What to do.

Xenomrph posted:

Also the rights to Terminator revert back to James Cameron in a few years anyway.
Maybe he can just kill two birds with one stone and make the Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita movies just take place in the far future of the Terminator franchise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Waroduce posted:

what about season 2

This has been settled a long time ago. Season 5 is the worst season, and worst is being very relative.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Humanism? No thank you.

Of course you'd say that, you're a robot/program!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

TV shows are difficult to be loyal to, because there aren't really any that stay at the same consistent quality. Even good shows have bad seasons.

TWD basically ran out of material after Season 1 though.

Maybe a heavily edited S2 that has Shane dying and turning without being bit and all that.

• Locked thread