Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Silver2195 posted:

I'd be glad if there's a permanent "shift to Mondays" too, since I won't have to read crappy translations to keep up with this thread anymore.

I'm not sure it will cure people of the habit of reading Bleach, though, since Bleach comes in English Shonen Jump too. Unless the suggestion is that people are more bored on Thursdays than on Mondays, and that's why they read Bleach?

Can we do a thread vote on this? Because I'd prefer to wait for the official too.

Now that I know how the Chinese raws stuff works, I feel like kind of a shitheel for not having a Jump subscription. "Keeping up with the thread" is basically my only reason to read the early, hastily-translated stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As we discuss the policy for Chinese raws, the Chinese raw for this week's chapter has already dropped.

Truly ironic.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The original spoilers policy was to spoiler everything for this week's chapter until next week's chapter came out. That usually covered all versions of spoilers, whether Japanese, Chinese or English.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh hey Korean scans are out too. Usually Korean scans just use the MangaPanda scanlations with the watermark and bits of English remaining but I guess Korean fans had to rely on other sources this time.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Yet another Oda/celebrity shoutout?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think the haircut is unique enough to tell.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New chapter is up - http://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/807

I gotta admit, that cover page had me laughing for a good few minutes

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did Robin just all the sudden start looking like Violet, or is this just what she's been trending towards and Violet is the Robin version of Nami face?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hated that chapter.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I liked that chapter.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I like Franky's new haircut

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
if they don't explain the sanji thing next chapter this is going to have drifted from funny to kind of annoying

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Good chapter - the B-squad don't seem to have done THAT much in the interim but still got to kick some rear end, Chopper using Caesar as a net/slingshot was awesome, Capone has been downgraded to a lackey because he's loving terrible and there's still a load of plot dumping to come; as long as it avoids stretching the final confrontation like Dressrosa then it looks like it'll be a good arc!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Capone has an amazing design and power, why do you hate him

Like he hasn't exactly been used much but neither have most of the non-Law supernovas(unfortunately! I wanna see more Scratchman)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He looks like a Flintstones character. He doesn't look, act or feel like a One Piece character to me at all. I find it really jarring every time I look at him, basically. I can't even remember what his power is.

I will happily take more Scratchman though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've never really thought of him as a non-one piece character. His power is he's a living barracks, his body is staffed by his entire crew who can exit at any time and return to full size. So he can launch a platoon of soldiers out of his legs or cavalry out of his chest, like what happened when he was first introduced. It's a unique and neat power.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Still feels like I am missing every other page. It's weird.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So Sanji is definitely captive aboard Big Mom's ship, then?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Green Intern posted:

Or Kaido's, maybe. Giant mammoth seems more his speed.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Green Intern posted:

No, Luffy and Zoro specifically said that he wasn't captured and that he left a note. He was seen on Zou, wasn't he? I think it might have more to do with the mink they were chasing in that interstitial story section, assuming it wasn't the prince. He apparently left of his own accord and if Luffy isn't worried about him going missing then he trusts whatever he's doing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't know what's happening at all in this chapter

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Green Intern posted:

A few people keep suggesting it had something to do with Big Mom, but we saw Sanji fighting alongside the B-squad in Zou a few issues ago.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Good chapter - the B-squad don't seem to have done THAT much in the interim but still got to kick some rear end

Well, all we really saw this chapter was what happened to them exactly 11 days ago when they escaped Big Mom. They still arrived on Zou and from the way everyone talks about them it sounds like they fought off the invasion that had previously wrecked the town (they considered the arrival of the Straw Hats a "miracle"). We saw a bit of that in the previous chapter, hopefully we get to see a bit more of the specifics, before it was totally out of context craziness.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The last few chapters have been so messy presentation-wise, I guess I forgot that Sanji was ever there. But I forget about Sanji a lot.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

oddium posted:

i don't know what's happening at all in this chapter

This is where I'm at. It just feels like One Piece is constantly plot dumping in between fights that go on too long. It's kinda starting to seem like it's spinning its wheels.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

This was largely a good chapter but I do echo the sentiment that it seems like Oda is trying to pick up the pieces of putting the B-Team to one side for so long and not doing a great job. After Dressrosa, it may have been better just to do a simple flashback to Sanji's team when they faced down Big Mom and then tell a contiguous, linear story from there.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

He looks like a Flintstones character. He doesn't look like a One Piece character to me at all. I find it really jarring every time I look at him, basically. I can't even remember what his power is.

I will happily take more Scratchman though.

then so aren't the Actor-Admirals.
Or Foxy, or a lot of characters.
We want oda to be out of his Nami face tendencies.

Also he hasn't gotten enough screen time to show off what ever quirky business he gets up to.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Captain Invictus posted:

Capone has an amazing design and power, why do you hate him

Like he hasn't exactly been used much but neither have most of the non-Law supernovas(unfortunately! I wanna see more Scratchman)

Capone and Uroge seem like the most superfluous of the Supernovas.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
I liked the A-crew being all impressed after they told the first part of the story

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kuroyama posted:

Capone and Uroge seem like the most superfluous of the Supernovas.

Almost every single supernova outside of law has been completely superfluous so far. Even kidd has been a nonentity for the majority of his existence.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Captain Invictus posted:

Almost every single supernova outside of law has been completely superfluous so far. Even kidd has been a nonentity for the majority of his existence.

At least the others have had moments to say "they'll be big deals in some way".

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Oh my god. That Coverpage. :3: :3: :3: :3: :3:

I don't even need to read the rest of the chapter.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Blockhouse posted:

if they don't explain the sanji thing next chapter this is going to have drifted from funny to kind of annoying

this is why I hated this chapter

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

That's because most of them were superfluous; they were pretty much made up on the spot for Sabaody.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's because most of them were superfluous; they were pretty much made up on the spot for Sabaody.

I know that. But that doesn't mean Oda couldn't have or can't do anything with them. Hopefully they'll play a bigger role eventually, and Capone becoming a big mom lackey is the beginnings of it seeing as how he came into direct conflict with the strawhats.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Guy A. Person posted:

Presumably we won't be getting the early release from the Chinese raw. WSJ officially releases Sundays or Mondays right? So we didn't get "last week's" chapter because it was on break for the issue that released at the beginning of this week, which usually leaks several days in advance. We didn't get a chapter today/tomorrow because the leaker was arrested. But at the beginning of next week we should get the chapter that would have leaked tomorrow.

Does that seem accurate?

A raw by definition cannot be Chinese unless it's of a Chinese manhua, because "raw" in scanlation speak means "the original" not "hoho the word bubbles have funny characters I can't understand"

:goonsay:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Captain Invictus posted:

I know that. But that doesn't mean Oda couldn't have or can't do anything with them. Hopefully they'll play a bigger role eventually, and Capone becoming a big mom lackey is the beginnings of it seeing as how he came into direct conflict with the strawhats.

If you haven't been paying attention the supernovas are all making alliances and aligning with emperors. It's pretty clear Kid and co. are teaming up wiith Kaidou to take down Shanks... and Capone has teamed up with Big Mam... Uroge is an outlier... Law aligned with Luffy. The entire New World Narrative seems to be about building alliances and fleets anyway. To top it off, juggling all the straw hats, and large supporting cast can really slow down the pacing (even if you set your pacing expectations at a reasonable weekly shonen serial level).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah but they've been almost entirely in the background even then. Capone showing up is the first case of one getting involved directly with the strawhats since Sabaody outside of law, and so it may become a more common occurrence for them to come to blows with the strawhats hopefully.

I'm most interested in apoo and Bonney showing up again though

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My guess as to answer of the case of the mysteriously missing Sanji is Caesar Clown got captured by Big Mom or Kaido's lackies and Sanji's gone off on his own to get the Gas Man back.

How do you use a gas for a net anyway? Seems like some sort of art error.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
use his physical form and what he's wearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

A raw by definition cannot be Chinese unless it's of a Chinese manhua, because "raw" in scanlation speak means "the original" not "hoho the word bubbles have funny characters I can't understand"

:goonsay:

I thought it was "raw" as in like, "unprepared". Like it was from an actual physical copy that had not been scanned, cleaned up, translated, etc.