Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

It's India. The contract negotiations for buying replacement for the 43 missing screws has been ongoing for ten years, though during six of them negotiations were frozen due to allegation of corruption from a rival screw company. Currently the deadlock is that Air India wants the screws to be built according to Modi's "Make in India" program, but the company argues that building a new manufacture just for 43 screws isn't financially sound. Currently, the idea is to expedite negotiations for three additional screws, and then complete with 40 locally-produced nails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Cat Mattress posted:

Don't try writing in French.

ï wïll nöt dö whät ÿöü tëll më.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

It's India. The contract negotiations for buying replacement for the 43 missing screws has been ongoing for ten years, though during six of them negotiations were frozen due to allegation of corruption from a rival screw company. Currently the deadlock is that Air India wants the screws to be built according to Modi's "Make in India" program, but the company argues that building a new manufacture just for 43 screws isn't financially sound. Currently, the idea is to expedite negotiations for three additional screws, and then complete with 40 locally-produced nails.

In addition, the screws flown in from Seattle to fix the panel have been held up in customs became it's the weekend and there's no customs broker there that wants to handle the paperwork, because the requisite 18 year old single malt and manilla envelope full of rupees was not immediately forthcoming.
We just had a 787 aog in Delhi for a few days. The logistics for getting replacement parts there... :cry:
(of course that wasn't all India's fault, a lot of 787 stuff has to be manufactured or robbed from production for situations like that, because the subcontractors are running at max production to feed the factory).

I read the article, and thought yeah, that sounds about right. As for the pilots not noticing on walkaround, likely the captain doesn't ever see the outside of the airplane except from the departure lounge. Sully his loafers by going outside with the help? I think not. The junior cruise pilot might get sent down to have a look but probably doesn't know what to look for outside of "yup, still looks like an airplane". More likely it's left to the baggage smashers or the "much vaunted engineering department" to spot it on their walk.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 19, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
We're building 70k more sqft of shop space to keep up with 787 and 737-max production so any aog poo poo has huge ripple effects on our other programs

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So you're saying there is no spare parts supply at all?

Also aog = aircraft on ground?

Edit
Or rather aog refers to the systems and personnel that support an aircraft stuck on ground?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bangalore Aviation posted:

I shudder to think of the consequences has this panel detached mid-flight over the ocean.

What would have been the likely result of that?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

So you're saying there is no spare parts supply at all?

Also aog = aircraft on ground?

Edit
Or rather aog refers to the systems and personnel that support an aircraft stuck on ground?

There's spare parts, but not always where you need them. Line replaceable stuff can usually be procured from someone, and there's all sorts of parts sharing agreements etc., so that sort of thing isn't likely to cause much more than a couple of hours delay. But anything structural or infrastructural, likely won't be available, especially for a 787. In that case it's either bodge it back together under the auspices of Boeing and your engineering department, and get a one flight ferry permit to fly it somewhere useful if you can, or wait for the parts to arrive from the other side of the planet and fix in situ.
Yes, AOG = aircraft on ground, aka dead aircraft. Can't fly until fixed.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Platystemon posted:

What would have been the likely result of that?
Okay, I'll bite.

Apparently it was a small access panel on the bottom of the WTB fairing, so are you sitting down?

Are you ready for this?

*audibly inhales*

The result of separation would be a negligable amount of extra drag.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

StandardVC10 posted:

Man I totally forgot Cathay Pacific flew to Boston.

It's a new route actually. I had no idea it was 1:40 AM though. Isn't that in violation of the noise abatement rules?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Tsuru posted:

Okay, I'll bite.

Apparently it was a small access panel on the bottom of the WTB fairing, so are you sitting down?

Are you ready for this?

*audibly inhales*

B-b-b-but that's an extra 1.5 cents per passenger mile in fuel costs!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

AOGs are pretty serious, chaotic business; not only is a busted jet not making money, it causes ripples all throughout an airline's schedule when said airplane and its crew aren't where they're supposed to be. And that's before you get to all the logistics of getting what you need where you need it.

It's also one of the very few situations where rival airlines help each other out too; after all, their aircraft can and will break at some point. Unless you're Westjet of course...then you don't help anyone because you're assholes.

Forums Terrorist posted:

That's actually a gigantic increase...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Forums Terrorist posted:

256 passengers on a 3,000 mile stage is about twelve thousand dollars.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Then shift the decimal over to the left a few times until it's funny, idk

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

If it was that much they'd end up in the drink all the time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That made me curious, so I looked it up and found this: https://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/measurements.jsp

quote:

Cost per Available Seat Mile (C/ASM): The Basic Measure Of Cost

Unit costs represent how much it costs to fly one seat (empty or filled) one-mile.

To calculate unit costs, divide total operating expenses by Total ASM capacity; For American in 2007, this is $19.24 billion divided by 169.9 billion, or 11.3 cents per mile.

So if 11.3 cents per passenger mile is a reasonable average value, then a 1.5 cent increase represents a 13.27% increase from the baseline. It is kinda big and it does imply a risk the aircraft would have to divest due to not having enough fuel to reach its intended destination.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Getting a pretty good chuckle out of this image.

http://www.navy.mil/view_imagex.asp?id=206400&t=1

Navy is bragging on launching missions against ISIS from the USS Kearsarge. Harriers with huge drop tanks and two wee little bitty bombs each. Guess it is just as well that there aren't any targets of any value.

Could deliver more hate and discontent with a UAV.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 20, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Slo-Tek posted:

Navy is bragging on launching missions against ISIS from the USS Kearsarge. Harriers with huge drop tanks and two wee little bitty SDBs each. Guess it is just as well that there aren't any targets of any value.

They look so goofy with the radar upgrades.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

Navy is bragging on launching missions against ISIS from the USS Kearsarge. Harriers with huge drop tanks and two wee little bitty bombs each. Guess it is just as well that there aren't any targets of any value.

Well, to the average news viewer, that harrier equipped with two droptanks, two bombs, and a TGP has FIVE BIG BOMBS

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Honestly that Harrier is probably about as much as getting some Marine training hours as killing the enemy. But hey, every blown up ISIS technical counts!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

That Harrier picture is the military aviation equivalent of Ralph Wiggum saying, "I'm helping!"

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
/\ lol /\

Slo-Tek posted:

Could deliver more hate and discontent with a UAV.

And we are. Regularly. With way more on-station time.

loving USMC Aviation

HAY GUYS LET US PLAY TOO HUUURRRRRRRR

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 20, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrChips posted:

That Harrier picture is the military aviation equivalent of Ralph Wiggum saying, "I'm helping!"

Marine aviation.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Marine aviation.

Someone photoshop an EGA and/or USMC flag onto this tia

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tsuru posted:

That’s what I thought. It’s weird that the author was so dramatic about it.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Godholio posted:

Marine aviation.

The Navy's Army's Air Force.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

China have it best, though
The People's Liberation Army's Navy's Army's Air Force

Or at least it would be if they had a marine corps that did flying

The People's Liberation Army's Navy's Army's Air Force's Army would be Marine Paratroopers I suppose

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
We need to start air dropping marines

to somewhere they can't reach their local congressman.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Platystemon posted:

That’s what I thought. It’s weird that the author was so dramatic about it.

Probably more about the sequence of gently caress-ups that led to the failure rather than what actually failed; it might not be something so minor next time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Express_Flight_2574#Investigation

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

hogmartin posted:

Probably more about the sequence of gently caress-ups that led to the failure rather than what actually failed; it might not be something so minor next time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Express_Flight_2574#Investigation

Also, parts falling off of airplanes can sometimes lead to problems for other airplanes, so people tend to take it seriously.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Mortabis posted:

From the Wall Street Journal, a picture released by ISIS supposedly of the bomb used to destroy that Russian A321:

The object in the middle is presumably a blasting cap so I think this might be the real thing. Anyone know what the putty on the bottom of the can might be? I think it's where they cut the can open to put in the explosive, and the putty's holding it together.

e: at any rate, at least now we know the official ginger ale of the Islamic State.

I'll give you a hint:

What do you stick the blasting cap into?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

simplefish posted:

China have it best, though
The People's Liberation Army's Navy's Army's Air Force

Or at least it would be if they had a marine corps that did flying

The People's Liberation Army's Navy's Army's Air Force's Army would be Marine Paratroopers I suppose

But if the marines were to airdrop a boat (à la apocalypse now) with soldiers equipped with an RQ-11, it would be the Navy's Army's Airforce's Navy's Army's Air Force

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 20, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

But if the marines were to airdrop a boat (à la apocalypse now) with carrying soldiers equipped with an RQ-11, it would be the Navy's Army's Airforce's Navy's Army's Air Force

And the logistics subcontractor bills for providing services to six separate divisions, everyone wins! (nobody wins)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Linedance posted:

(nobody wins)

The subcontractor's shareholders win.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

The subcontractor's shareholders win.

Not if the CEO/CFO/Chairman are any good at paying themselves bonuses, share packages, stock options, performance dividends, fringe benefits, corporate expenses and just plain big old fat salaries.

And I find it difficult to believe that anyone rises to a CXO or Board level in a big defense contractor without knowing how to game the system like a pro.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Depends on if its privately or publicly held.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yeah if the shareholders aren't getting good returns, the CEO ain't gonna be CEO much longer.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

:cawg: get a load of this noob!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Right the board needs to be making money, which may or may not correlate with other shareholders making money.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Generally if the CEO is well paid the shareholders are also making money, ipso facto, since CEO compensation usually has a large proportion of stock options. This is done specifically to encourage the CEO to generate good stock performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Some sideways plane action at a local airport.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUSqnZRxEAM