Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Gravel Gravy posted:

On any issue not directly relating to Obama, anyway.

He's petulant as hell about losing to Obama, but he was still, largely an adult about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Here's a photograph of a police officer with a reasonable response to the actions of Rep. Keith Ellison's son at the Minneapolis protests.

To allay your anger, here is a production still from Star Wars.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's not entirely true.

For all the things I want to say about John McCain, he largely was an adult.

He wanted Sarah Palin to be one heartbeat away from the Presidency. That disqualifies you from being called "reasonable" or "an adult".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think Cruz realizes what debating idgaf Obama would be like.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't really understand the no-fly list. Does it mean LEOs are actively trying to find the person to arrest them, or can people live a completely normal life, then go to the airport and suddenly find they aren't allowed to go on the flight for no apparent reason?

Because if it's the latter then I think I'm with the NRA on this. If white people can have guns, everyone should be able to have guns.

But Peter King and the NRA are bad. Also civil liberties aren't real, if gun.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He's petulant as hell about losing to Obama, but he was still, largely an adult about the whole thing.

As I recall he would criticize the guy for either giving into terrorists during the first few years of the Syrian crisis or harp on his inexperience even after his reelection.

I mean I guess it's kind of boilerplate talking points but it still seems like he has an ax to grind anytime he's given a camera.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ted Cruz is the new Uwe Boll I guess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is fun, here's the GOVERNOR of Texas tweeting out Breitbart links:

I guess he doesn't have access to, you know, government agencies or personnel that are dealing with this because they'd tell him:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

computer parts posted:

Is this the part where we get to watch Cruz beat up Lowtax?

Also: for some reason I don't think that picture accurately portrays Ted's physique.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

He wanted Sarah Palin to be one heartbeat away from the Presidency. That disqualifies you from being called "reasonable" or "an adult".

Eh, he didn't want it. Though I do think it showed he was unfit to be president because he's too impulsive for his own good.

zoux posted:

I don't think Cruz realizes what debating idgaf Obama would be like.

The Republicans, in general, have been telling the same lies about Obama so long they believe them. So, no, he does not know how much Obama would embarrass him.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Implying that Cruz would win the match, which is frankly unfair to Uwe Boll.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Why Mr. Cruz I do declare your biceps are the size of bowling balls :allears:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't really understand the no-fly list. Does it mean LEOs are actively trying to find the person to arrest them, or can people live a completely normal life, then go to the airport and suddenly find they aren't allowed to go on the flight for no apparent reason?

Because if it's the latter then I think I'm with the NRA on this. If white people can have guns, everyone should be able to have guns.

Yes to the latter.

Today's fun fact: occasionally U.S. citizens end up on the no-fly list while they're outside the country! Hilarity ensues. :toot:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If he wants to connect with today's youth he should sponsor an Xtreme Debating anime where fiery Tedo Cruso-kun has to save his school's flaundering debate club, and the only way to do that is to win the World Debate Tournament and its champion; the evil two-faced King of Debates Baracku Obama-sama.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If he wants to connect with today's youth he should sponsor an Xtreme Debating anime where fiery Tedo Cruso-kun has to save his school's flaundering debate club, and the only way to do that is to win the World Debate Tournament and its champion; the evil two-faced King of Debates Baracku Obama-sama.

Cruz is a policy debater, so he is, by definition a wimpy little rear end in a top hat who tries to score technical points with meaningless prater.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's just so many layers to the whole "refugees/Syrians/Muslims shouldn't have guns" thing

If you're still afraid of them despite the fact that you already have your own guns, what does say about your confidence in your ability to defend yourself with your own guns?

If "an armed society is a polite society" is taken to be true, shouldn't we let them have those guns in order to make sure the society isn't rendered impolite by the sudden influx of non-gun-owners?

If the 2nd Amendment was created in order to allow people to resist government tyranny, shouldn't they be afforded access to guns in order to resist a (state) government that would want to throw them out? Aren't these refugees textbook examples of people who lacked guns and subsequently experienced tyranny as a result, therefore making them potentially really responsible gun owners for being cognizant of the need for the 2nd Amendment?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What are we going to end up calling the Paris attacks? 11/13? 13/11? Anyway, post "Paris attacks" polling shows that Americans are predictably turning to Trump in the wake of this.

quote:

“We’re going to have to do things that we never did before. And some people are going to be upset about it, but I think that now everybody is feeling that security is going to rule,” Trump said. “And certain things will be done that we never thought would happen in this country in terms of information and learning about the enemy. And so we’re going to have to do certain things that were frankly unthinkable a year ago.”

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Cruz is a policy debater, so he is, by definition a wimpy little rear end in a top hat who tries to score technical points with meaningless prater.

Would people that'd watch the anime know that though?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Rules of the Never Going To Happen Debate: the instant Cruz stares directly into the camera, cut his mic for 5 minutes.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

A good read this morning in the Atlantic on Republican's prescriptive nonsense on "radical Islam"

https://newrepublic.com/article/124170/gops-obsession-radical-islam

This is really good, because where other articles just try to explain why GWB and Democrats didn't want to use the term 'radical islam' this article goes one step further and shows that it is because of how Republicans respond to things that justifies the logic.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

zoux posted:

What are we going to end up calling the Paris attacks? 11/13? 13/11? Anyway, post "Paris attacks" polling shows that Americans are predictably turning to Trump in the wake of this.

quote:

Yahoo News asked Trump whether this level of tracking might require registering Muslims in a database or giving them a form of special identification that noted their religion. He wouldn’t rule it out.

Perhaps some kind of badge?

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 19, 2015

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I hope that Obama accepts Cruz's challenge to a duel, then word for word re-enacts the Lincoln duel.

Even if not, the president is pretty fit and has almost half a foot in height on Cruz. Ted "Baby with a face like a wet fart" Cruz wouldn't stand a chance.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

But Peter King and the NRA are bad. Also civil liberties aren't real, if gun.

To be fair the NRA actually is bad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Cruz is so good at talking to people inside the bubble...

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Cruz so desperately wishes that he were handsome and charismatic, it's embarrassing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

Cruz is so good at talking to people inside the bubble...

Well, when the GOP/Tea Party is one giant hate bukkake fest...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hmmery.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

To be fair the NRA actually is bad.

It is interesting that there is a point at which conservatives will say "wait a minute, if there is just a list of people to deprive of rights without due process...what happens if *I* get put on that list?"

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I thought if 9/11 didn't enact the poo poo from the movie "The Siege", then nothing would, but I guess I'm wrong!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

UM, ACTUALLY THE REAL UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IS THE SUPER SECRET U3 NUMBER AND WE ACTUALLY HAVE 60% UNEMPLOYMENT RIGHT NOW. I UNSKEWED THE NUMBERS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, I guess we'll never know.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?

Phone posted:

UM, ACTUALLY THE REAL UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IS THE SUPER SECRET U3 NUMBER AND WE ACTUALLY HAVE 60% UNEMPLOYMENT RIGHT NOW. I UNSKEWED THE NUMBERS.

It doesn't FEEL like unemployment is lower.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Trump straight up calling for them to have to carry a religious ID

No dog whistle, straight saying it.

gently caress. It is 10:30 and I need a god damned drink

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Wabbit posted:

It doesn't FEEL like unemployment is lower.

I saw like half a dozen schoolchildren walking around the mall. Why aren't they working? Don't they have jobs? Where are the jobs, Obama?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hope Joementum can forgive me for posting Erik Erikson links but:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I thought he wanted Lieberman, but his advisers convinced him that the Republican brand was toast in 2008 and another old white man on the ticket wasn't going to save it, so they picked a young attractive woman as a hail mary without vetting her properly.

Although I take your point that for the good of the country he should have dropped her when he found out she was a complete idiot, even if that would have tanked his support among the Republican base.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

Hitler would be proud.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Phone posted:

One of the biggest proponents of curbing Islamophobia is loving Grover Norquist.

That's because the Quran lays out a fairly conservative tax code as long as you're a Muslim.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Fried Chicken posted:

Y'know Godwin's Law LOL and all but dang. Pump the brakes a little Trump; you've gotta have someplace to escalate to when people get bored.

VitalSigns posted:

I thought he wanted Lieberman, but his advisers convinced him that the Republican brand was toast in 2008 and another old white man on the ticket wasn't going to save it, so they picked a young attractive woman as a hail mary without vetting her properly.

Although I take your point that for the good of the country he should have dropped her when he found out she was a complete idiot, even if that would have tanked his support among the Republican base.

I'm still flabbergasted at how ineptly that was handled. Like they couldn't have spent a few hours figuring out she was insane and hilariously unsuitable?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The problem is that the economy really isn't doing as good as it could be but that would require the GOP to not want neo liberal policies or be trying to avoid engaging reality for political reasons.

That poll pretty much tells you all you need to know about the electorate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Phone posted:

It's higher for the GOP because social media activity is a liability for outspoken bigots and their employers.

• Locked thread