Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

I liked when they did the Spider-Man thing and had their arrow-lines attach to, like, the wide-empty sky.

And poor Laurel just had to hop down. So sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Laurel ended up with the best fight scene so far this season and I think that's great. They need to have Bamford direct more episodes because the action scenes were on point tonight

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That felt like Bamford wanted to finally give Laurel some cool fight scenes. Both of hers were much nicer than usual.

Also ADRing fight grunts must be so weird to do.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Carlosologist posted:

Laurel ended up with the best fight scene so far this season and I think that's great. They need to have Bamford direct more episodes because the action scenes were on point tonight

I disagree. Thea fought into a goddamn elevator, up three floors, into another hallway, through a holding cell, and back to the hallway. It's basically every gag we've ever done in RAW threads where people keep fighting at the end of the show, onto a plane, off the plane, and onto the next show.

Except it actually happened.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Merlyn is the most awkward dad it's hilarious.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bad Moon posted:

Merlyn is the most awkward dad it's hilarious.

His look at the end seemed like "a chance to help my daughter AND screw over Darhk? You DO love me!"

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chokes McGee posted:

I disagree. Thea fought into a goddamn elevator, up three floors, into another hallway, through a holding cell, and back to the hallway. It's basically every gag we've ever done in RAW threads where people keep fighting at the end of the show, onto a plane, off the plane, and onto the next show.

That was a really cool scene too! But I liked Laurel's the best mostly because it's a culmination of all that training and it's finally paying off.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Carlosologist posted:

That was a really cool scene too! But I liked Laurel's the best mostly because it's a culmination of all that training and it's finally paying off.

That's actually a pretty good point! You look at her just dropping effortlessly off a two story building without a sound and then kicking the living poo poo out of everyone, and then you look at her in seasons 1/2, and your brain can't process how this is the same character or even actress.

I mean mine can't, I don't know about yours.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Chokes McGee posted:

I can't shake the feeling that this episode was James Bamford's personal bucket-list of stunts and fight scenes he always wanted to do but the directors always told him it was too expensive or difficult to pull off :haw:

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Seriously. Even though the shots around the shipping containers felt a bit rough at times (i got the feeling that something about the lighting was off) the style of the fight cinematography was fantastic. If they stick with it I'd be quite happy. This season feels like it's a different show, and I mean that in the best way.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hrmm would not have thought Malcolm to be like " Here go kill this pedophile". That for whatever reason came off weird.

edit:

Woah that dockside fight with Diggle and Ollie between the containers.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 19, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
One of these guys should probably go deal with that pedophile at some point though, yeah?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CainsDescendant posted:

Seriously. Even though the shots around the shipping containers felt a bit rough at times (i got the feeling that something about the lighting was off) the style of the fight cinematography was fantastic. If they stick with it I'd be quite happy. This season feels like it's a different show, and I mean that in the best way.

The shipping container fight looked like it was shot in a sound stage based on how everything was lit rather than, say, outdoors between actual shipping containers. Everything might've just been way too well lit which messes up the perception of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

One of these guys should probably go deal with that pedophile at some point though, yeah?

Accused pedophile. Malcom said never convicted.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I also wouldn't take anything Malcolm says at face value. It could've easily just been a League target he made some poo poo up about. I mean it probably wasn't since it was never mentioned again but I have no doubt Thea wouldn't just take his word for it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

He would've had to have gone through a lot of trouble to fake a bunch of news clippings and police reports that would've been easy enough to verify. Why wouldn't he simply find an actual criminal out there for Thea to kill? It's not like Malcolm has any love for the scum of Starling City; a criminal walking free for a crime he should be punished for was the reason Malcolm even got into this game.

I mean, sure, innocent until proven guilty, but that didn't stop Oliver in s1 and Laurel's pretty bad at her day job anyway, which would explain it. :v:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Hollismason posted:

Hrmm would not have thought Malcolm to be like " Here go kill this pedophile". That for whatever reason came off weird.

I figure it was born out of him genuinely wanting to appease the bloodlust so she didn't go crazy and providing her a target so reprehensible even she wouldn't really mind it. On the other hand...

X-O posted:

I also wouldn't take anything Malcolm says at face value. It could've easily just been a League target he made some poo poo up about. I mean it probably wasn't since it was never mentioned again but I have no doubt Thea wouldn't just take his word for it.

...This means it was pretty likely she wouldn't just take him at face value and go murder some dude who's accused, but never convicted. I wouldn't be surprised if it never comes up again, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it is brought up in the future as something Malcolm tried to do as a two-birds-with-one-stone sort of thing where he gets his daughter to murder a League target AND sates her bloodlust all with one little "innocent" lie to encourage it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

He would've had to have gone through a lot of trouble to fake a bunch of news clippings and police reports that would've been easy enough to verify. Why wouldn't he simply find an actual criminal out there for Thea to kill? It's not like Malcolm has any love for the scum of Starling City; a criminal walking free for a crime he should be punished for was the reason Malcolm even got into this game.

I mean, sure, innocent until proven guilty, but that didn't stop Oliver in s1 and Laurel's pretty bad at her day job anyway, which would explain it. :v:

Doesn't he have interns that do all that for him now?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Again, though, it'd be pretty easy to crack that kind of lie if Thea knew anyone who, oh for instance, worked in the DA's office or could get authentic police records. Or just used Google. The guy had multiple accusers; is Merlyn gonna get a bunch of League members to dress up as those victims, if Thea thought about going to talk to them?

Sometimes there's no wacky scheme and the easiest explanation is the right one.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
There was one scene that was super awkward, hey laurel go run off and collect the pills I am going to stay behind for no reason and mask this random mook, *gasp* my brother is alive!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
drat, those fight scenes were top quality this week.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The shipping containers fight is the first time I actually believed their fantasy 'dudes beat up guys walking around with rifles' nonsense. It was just brutal how they slammed into them. Would have appreciated the guy Diggs threw the arrow at getting up before the bomb went off but hey.

Also the elevator fight was the best thing they've ever done. This episode was pretty great.

Complaint though: They have gotten really weird with pointlessly lingering on people walking away. Dahrhke got to do his ridiculous duck walk twice after the scene had ended and nobody cut away, and then all of Team Arrow paraded out the door to save Whoever. I so wanted Lance to just ask Dark where he was going. He left Lance alone in his office after revealing that he doesn't trust him and with secret supervillain plans in plain view. Lance should have asked him if he really needed to use the restroom while making his cool speech.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Mystified as to how people are enjoying this season overall, but

X-O posted:

THIS ELEVATOR FIGHT
was loving rad.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I noticed that for most of this episode Diggle is actually using a tranquilizer gun.
...and then he impaled a man with an explosive arrow and blew a hole in his chest.

Also, the fight scenes were on point this week! Still really bothers me how they swat people with their bows, though.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 19, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

10 Beers posted:

I noticed that for most of this episode Diggle is actually using a tranquilizer gun.
...and then he impaled a man with an explosive arrow and blew a hole in his chest.

As I watched that, I found myself repeating a few choice lines from Groundhog Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItLvYcD8li4

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I forgot, was it revealed that the ghosts are all zombies? Like that is what they are implying right? Diggle's brother seemed way too animated though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kater posted:

I forgot, was it revealed that the ghosts are all zombies? Like that is what they are implying right? Diggle's brother seemed way too animated though.

As far as the series has revealed, the Ghosts are pretty much drones that'll follow Dahrk's every order thanks to the pills

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We've seen other Ghosts that seemed perfectly normal.

I guess either they wear off eventually, or they make them compliant but don't zombify them or anything.

VagueRant posted:

Mystified as to how people are enjoying this season overall, but
was loving rad.

Wow I'm shocked. Anyone else shocked?

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Aphrodite posted:

Wow I'm shocked. Anyone else shocked?

I'm very shocked. This season has been pretty much flawless since the beginning.

I was a little sour on the episode at first because I thought Bamford was being a little over the top with his directing - a bunch of swooping around during a conversation, for instance - and I thought the camera work during the shipping container fight was just unbearable, I realized how absolutely amazing the fight work was and I actually just want to rewatch the fight scenes today, something I've never done with an Arrow episode. Let the guy direct more, I say.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

10 Beers posted:

That was more flashbang than frag or high explosive. Makes more sense for them too.

Sir Potato posted:

I'm very shocked. This season has been pretty much flawless since the beginning.

It's good, but I wouldn't go so far as to say great. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been outstanding this season and last, and this week's episode was amazing. Watching Agents first in a week with Flash and Arrow later when they're up on CW's site has tempered my enjoyment of the latter two a little. Still fun to watch and I still want to watch as soon as they're up, but not to the point I get with Agents.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

THIS ELEVATOR FIGHT
That was just awesome.

hi liter posted:

Also, for interested in good camera work for action this is a good fun video: https://vimeo.com/113439313

Thanks. Love me some Jackie Chan. That was a really interesting watch.

Did Darhk leave the docks address to test Lance? I think Lance failed that.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 19, 2015

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
The thing about the ELEVATOR FIGHT that I loved besides the choreography is that I for a second thought that Thea might accidentally kill Andy in her bloodlust and holy poo poo would that have been a storyline.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've seen a lot about the directing and fight choreography (deservedly) but David Ramsay loving murdered it this episode. He was awesome in every scene, really conveyed his betrayal, frustration and mixed feelings very well.

Also I'm a cynical dried up dead inside person but when Dig said "I had to help my brother, the green one" I felt feelings.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Jackson Taus posted:

The thing about the ELEVATOR FIGHT that I loved besides the choreography is that I for a second thought that Thea might accidentally kill Andy in her bloodlust and holy poo poo would that have been a storyline.

"Killing my friends' siblings is kind of in my wheelhouse."

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Leospeare posted:

"Killing my friends' siblings is kind of in my wheelhouse."

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Arrow Season 4 - Killing my friends' siblings is kind of in my wheelhouse.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
A

Digital Jedi posted:

That was just awesome.

Thanks. Love me some Jackie Chan. That was a really interesting watch.

Did Darhk leave the docks address to test Lance? I think Lance failed that.

i wondered if anybody else thought it was real dumb for Lance to talk about the dock thing he read off the desk literally seconds after Dahrk said he's lost trust in him and threatened him? Like that's a set up if I ever saw one.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

zoux posted:

Also I'm a cynical dried up dead inside person but when Dig said "I had to help my brother, the green one" I felt feelings.

J'onn Jones Diggle confirmed

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I've seen a lot about the directing and fight choreography (deservedly) but David Ramsay loving murdered it this episode. He was awesome in every scene, really conveyed his betrayal, frustration and mixed feelings very well.

Agreed, 100%. I now feel really crappy that I didn't get to meet him at the cons this year. I hope he hits one close to me next year.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

i wondered if anybody else thought it was real dumb for Lance to talk about the dock thing he read off the desk literally seconds after Dahrk said he's lost trust in him and threatened him? Like that's a set up if I ever saw one.

Yeah, that body is gonna drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Need more Arrow episodes directed by James Bamford please, kthx.

• Locked thread