Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am pretty sure the Metal Gear Series is the first where you attach balloons to people to suck them into the sky.

And maybe I'm mistaken but I think the previous poster was talking about the whole gameplay loop and not just shoot-feel or whatever

It's still really stupid since MGS5 has probably the best stealth gameplay in any game ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Hey MGSV spergs, if you're gonna defend your waifu-game say something to defend it, don't be like this guy and say absolutely nothing.

Except for a couple unique gadgets, MGSV feels quite generic and repetitive in the third person stealth gameplay dept. Splinter Cell did it just as good a long time ago. It's pretty weird that Splinter Cell regressed as the series went on while MGS progressed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Obsurveyor posted:

Hey MGSV spergs, if you're gonna defend your waifu-game say something to defend it, don't be like this guy and say absolutely nothing.

Except for a couple unique gadgets, MGSV feels quite generic and repetitive in the third person stealth gameplay dept. Splinter Cell did it just as good a long time ago. It's pretty weird that Splinter Cell regressed as the series went on while MGS progressed.

While I have plenty of issues with MGSV, the freedom the game gives you on how to approach situations is above and beyond what I've seen from any stealth game in the past, including Splinter Cell.

How I see it is MGSV infiltrations have 3 distinct phases: recon, infiltration, extraction. In Splinter Cell games, you've generally got the infiltration (which is pretty open) and extraction (generally only one option).

To go even deeper, within those 3 phases there are a ton of options in MGSV.
Recon: You can use your binoculars to tag enemies, use a buddy to do it for you, snipe from a distance, forgo tagging beforehand entirely and try to do it as you go, etc etc.

Infiltration: You can be boring and choke everybody out, lay C4 and then detonate it to draw people away from your objective, throw a decoy and then throw a stun grenade to take out everyone that comes to check out once, or hell just call in an airstrike or helicopter and murder everyone.

Extraction: Simply run away, jump on a shipping crate and let it whisk you away, steal an enemy vehicle and drive it out, or again just kill everyone.

There's just way more depth in each area of the composite parts of "stealth gameplay" than any other game on the market. Plus the recon aspect is something that just doesn't exist in any stealth game I can think of (unless you count Far Cry as stealth (you really shouldn't))

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 19, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game development at Electronic Arts.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

BLOPS3 is getting boring. I agree Advanced Warfare did the future poo poo better. The campaign is a bunch of Tron icon poo poo all over the place and I'm shooting stupid robots.

I think I'm gonna go back to playing MGSV and wait for Witcher 3 to go on sale. I like a good story but is the fighting totally gimped in W3? I plan on buying it for cheap and then putting the game on easy or whatever to enjoy the story/exploration.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish Metal Gear Online worked. That's the only thing that hurts, MGO is crap and the matchmaking still doesn't work. gently caress Konami forever, supposedly they laid off everyone who worked on that game so there's very little hope the matchmaking is ever going to work.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

People here get really weird about other people liking Metal Gear.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Surlaw posted:

People here get really weird about other people liking things.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The Fallout 4 character creator is fun.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am pretty sure the Metal Gear Series is the first where you attach balloons to people to suck them into the sky.

And maybe I'm mistaken but I think the previous poster was talking about the whole gameplay loop and not just shoot-feel or whatever

Soleau Software's seminal Balloon Challenge might have this but the graphics are too rudimentary to tell.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Housh posted:

BLOPS3 is getting boring. I agree Advanced Warfare did the future poo poo better. The campaign is a bunch of Tron icon poo poo all over the place and I'm shooting stupid robots.
The campaign in BLOPS3 is laughably bad. Wait until you hit the inception poo poo, it will make you wish you had never even started playing it.

That being said, the multiplayer and the bioshock zombie mode both own.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Obsurveyor posted:

I dunno I'd rather not read a bunch of huge effortposts about why MGSV is GOAT thanks

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play

Obsurveyor posted:

To be fair the guy he was responding to has basically said nothing though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

grrarg posted:

The Fallout 4 character creator is fun.

that's horrifying

well done

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Obsurveyor posted:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

MGSV might not do anything new but what it does is really refined and controls well. The FOX Engine is pretty great for third person shooter games and it is very sad it is going to be essentially wasted on one game only. I don't know if it needs much defending beyond that. It is a fun and cool sandbox-lite where you can play around in an open space and do some fun stuff while also having structured missions.

If they had released some kind of mission editor/creator, it would be one of the best games of all time imo.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thinking of applying my $15 credit towards Rainbow Six Seige. Is this a completely terrible idea or just a bad idea?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Surprise announcement

Beyond: Two Souls PS4 version is coming out on Tuesday. Download-only, $30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtEoS0MaNyA

- Enhanced 1080p graphics including motion blur, bloom and depth of field effects, as well as improved lighting and shadows. The game also makes use of the DualShock 4 speaker to improve immersion when playing as the Entity.
- Decisions are highlighted at the end of each scene and compared with those made by other players.
- Once you have completed Beyond: Two Souls, you will be able to replay the game in chronological order — a much requested feature in the PS3 version!
- Increased difficulty in certain fight scene, combined with improved controls for action sequences.
- Includes the “Enhanced Experiments” DLC

Heavy Rain is coming as a download-only title March 1st, and people who pick up Beyond: Two Souls will get a discount on it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

univbee posted:

Surprise announcement

Beyond: Two Souls PS4 version is coming out on Tuesday. Download-only, $30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtEoS0MaNyA

- Enhanced 1080p graphics including motion blur, bloom and depth of field effects, as well as improved lighting and shadows. The game also makes use of the DualShock 4 speaker to improve immersion when playing as the Entity.
- Decisions are highlighted at the end of each scene and compared with those made by other players.
- Once you have completed Beyond: Two Souls, you will be able to replay the game in chronological order — a much requested feature in the PS3 version!
- Increased difficulty in certain fight scene, combined with improved controls for action sequences.
- Includes the “Enhanced Experiments” DLC

Heavy Rain is coming as a download-only title March 1st, and people who pick up Beyond: Two Souls will get a discount on it.

Who the hell wanted this????

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Nobody wanted a remaster of that game.

edit: Beat me to it. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I wouldn't mind heavy rain on PS4 although I may not even play it.

I haven't played Beyond yet but it looks just like heavy rain but less interesting. I also already had the main twist spoiled.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I wouldn't mind heavy rain on PS4 although I may not even play it.

I haven't played Beyond yet but it looks just like heavy rain but less interesting. I also already had the main twist spoiled.

There was a twist in Beyond Two Souls?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Andrast posted:

There was a twist in Beyond Two Souls?

If it's what I'm thinking of it's not really that important: The capricious spirit is the soul of your brother who died in the womb

That said, there's quite a few possible outcomes for various game elements and the story is weird and confusing in a lot of places (that chronological playthrough mode should have been the game's default mode), maybe he's referring to something else.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Housh posted:

I think I'm gonna go back to playing MGSV and wait for Witcher 3 to go on sale. I like a good story but is the fighting totally gimped in W3? I plan on buying it for cheap and then putting the game on easy or whatever to enjoy the story/exploration.

I just started playing this yesterday and maybe it's cause i played 2 other action RPGs on the hardest difficulty, but i found the easier difficulties to take a lot away from the witcher aspect (you're basically a grey warden super alchemist). To give you an example: While being level 3 last night i ran into a group of level 6 monsters. On easier difficulty levels i could have just smashed my way through. Instead, I had to survey the area, find enviromental hazards, start the fight there, killing 1. Draw the rest of the now aware monsters to a more open area, kill one with a combination magical mine and a couple of grenades, well as a few slashes from a pre oiled sword. For the last 2, I drank a potion that increased my defense, and kited them around until i wore them down. Imo more fun than mashing square and calling it a day.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I like MGS5 but I'm terrible at stealth games so I'm just playing it like uncharted at this point

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is B2S the kind of game that would be fun to watch someone stream?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

beyond was on occasion pretty cool, but it was also a david cage game and was therefore incredibly stupid. it also has the worst romantic subplot in any cage game ever, and I do not say that lightly

tho however you feel about the plot ofbeyond, it was very visually impressive for a ps3 game and should look pretty good on ps4. so you can watch a really nice looking playthrough of it on youtube later :v:

ufarn posted:

I guess? it's all about the plot since the gameplay barely even exists. the plot is very dumb but it's kind of fun in a train wreck sort of way

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

robodex posted:

I like MGS5 but I'm terrible at stealth games so I'm just playing it like uncharted at this point

Which is totally fine. I mean it wasn't until MGS4, than you could run and shoot. Playing it like a shoot mans game in the previous games would get you turn into swiss cheese. 4 and 5 refined it enough that you can go guns blazing and not fumble with the controls.

Generic my rear end.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ufarn posted:

Depends on what you're into, it plays like a straight-to-cable movie with a few branching possibilities, generally minor on the storyline but still reasonably complex in terms of affecting things considerably further in the game. I enjoyed it for what it was, but in saying that I haven't played Heavy Rain and it appears to be unanimously agreed that it's the better title of the two.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

You crouch, you shoot guns. It doesn't do anything different than other 3rd person shooters there, and is worse than many of them at it.

im shaking

edit: Okay real post theres a whole world of refinement in MGSV that sets it apart from any other stealth or TPS game. The cardboard box alone has more discreet mechanics associated with it than SCs entire stealth system across the whole series lol. MGS isn't even known for its gunplay but it pioneered a ton of little tweaks to the system that other games still don't have like holdups, using the flashlight to blind people, or the way the crosshair snaps to targets (Kojimas team possibly being the first to notice that this is actually how people point guns at things).

Woozy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 19, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I Redboxed Beyond: Two Souls for PS3 for a weekend and felt like I got my money's worth.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

At least in Europe both games are getting a physical release as a set (i.e. it sounds like you'll have to buy both games) in early March.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Well it's cool that some other people are playing Spelunker World, but I haven't seen a single other person online running a game I could join. Then again, it's a weekday during the daytime. Maybe the weekend will provide opportunities to play with people.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

univbee posted:

If it's what I'm thinking of it's not really that important: The capricious spirit is the soul of your brother who died in the womb

That said, there's quite a few possible outcomes for various game elements and the story is weird and confusing in a lot of places (that chronological playthrough mode should have been the game's default mode), maybe he's referring to something else.

Nah that's it.

Shindragon posted:

Which is totally fine. I mean it wasn't until MGS4, than you could run and shoot. Playing it like a shoot mans game in the previous games would get you turn into swiss cheese. 4 and 5 refined it enough that you can go guns blazing and not fumble with the controls.

Generic my rear end.

Yeah one of the best parts of MGS5 is that you can run and gun just as effectively as you can super stealth. I still like the stealth, but its nice that if you gently caress up and the alarm is sounded, you can just go "well, guess its time to shoot guns" and :black101: your way through the level.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Some friends of mine have been wondering what the point of PS+ is, since they're still playing games like Battlefront online with other people on their PS4s, and I'm starting to wonder this myself. Beyond cloud saves and free indie games I don't play, is this even still worth it?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

My problem with the metal gear series is that there's so many loving mechanics that when I want to sneak up to a guy and grab him I end up slitting his throat or taking out a megaphone and yelling "HERE I AM" instead of crouching down. MGS5 solved a lot of those problems, so that's cool. The game burned off a lot of my good will in the early missions when I didn't have any of the neat toys that make the game actually fun. I kept ending up in that one base with the cave system near the back and having to rely on sandstorms to remove guys.

I had fun in the midgame but once I hit chapter 2 and started getting the hard mode versions of earlier missions I was done. I know there's one or two good story missions in there but I just can't be hosed to play them at this point.

Also is anyone else really sick of the term 'gameplay loop'?

Takoluka posted:

Some friends of mine have been wondering what the point of PS+ is, since they're still playing games like Battlefront online with other people on their PS4s, and I'm starting to wonder this myself. Beyond cloud saves and free indie games I don't play, is this even still worth it?

Isn't PS+ not required for Battlefront because it's a beta? I don't know of any online multiplayer games except for betas and MMOs that don't require PS+.

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 19, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Takoluka posted:

You can't play Battlefront (or any non-F2P game) online without PS+.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mattavist posted:

Also is anyone else really sick of the term 'gameplay loop'?

It's overused but is appropriate for MGSV where the gameplay is "accept mission, run/ride to outpost, infiltrate outpost, extract, repeat" for literally the entire game. Aside from the occasional cutscene and the VERY occasional gameplay change up (the skull face ride comes to mind), you're just looping the same experience over and over again for the entire 40+ hours the game takes to beat.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 19, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Takoluka posted:

The point is so you can play Battlefront online with other people on their PS4s? :confused:

You can do some basic Destiny stuff without PS+ but almost everything online requires it. FFXIV is like the only major exception.

Free indies are just a cool bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

See, I have PS+ because I like the free games and take heavy advantage of cloud saves with my Vita.

My big thing, though, is that they don't have PS+ and are still playing these games, so I don't know what the hell to think. I don't actually play said games, so I don't know how it works, but they're pretty much calling me a fool for paying for PS+ when, from what they're telling me, they apparently don't need it to do what I figured it was required for.

I'm not sure what's going on with it.

• Locked thread