Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Yeah, it is nice to see his bullshit finally get called out by someone who the base trusts more than Ben Carson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Ah, I see Trump has graduated from wannabe-Berlusconi to wannabe-Hitler! Congrats, Donny boy, we all knew you could do it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
donalds sense of aesthetics is too lovely to be a fascist. he doesnt know wagner from the captain and tennielle

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I had a dream last night that Donald Trump's candidacy was a long term social experiment designed to see how easy it would be to get America on board with Fascism, a la the Third Wave, and I wake up to him saying that he wouldn't rule out starting a Muslim registry. :allears:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"i wan' this hotel ta make a bee-yootiful ruin. th' yoogest, most luxurious desolation."

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpZFrQP4c2s

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Patter Song posted:

PPP National.

Trump 26
Friend Ben 19
Cruz 14
Rubio 13
Jeb! 5
Fiorina/Huckabee 4
Christie/Kasich 3
Paul 2
Graham/Pataki 1

Clinton 59
Sanders 26
O'Malley 7

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: as President, George W. Bush kept us safe?
Agree that George W. Bush kept us safe........ 79%
Disagree that George W. Bush kept us safe...13%

lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wait, how did I miss someone wading into the Terri Schiavo thing? And it's not Jeb!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pinterest Mom posted:

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: as President, George W. Bush kept us safe?
Agree that George W. Bush kept us safe........ 79%
Disagree that George W. Bush kept us safe...13%

lol
God drat America

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

FlamingLiberal posted:

God drat America

k, the thing about Palin's newspapers was that her failure to name a single one played well with nobody

this, however

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 18, 2016

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

I wonder if Harley D. Brown is upset that Trump stole his idea

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I touched the poop:

"This is such an ignorant remark. Because of people like you, we will open our doors to more terrorist. Don't be so green.
Further more. Rubio's parents came as legal political immigrants/refugees. They were screened to make sure they had no ties to the Communist Party. That is a big different from bringing thousands of people not knowing who they are."

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The Nastier Nate posted:

Well, filing to be on a ballot is usually about 2 or 3 months before election day, and for a primary election that means you're officially a candidate a long time before the election. In many places, the primary is basically the election, so the mayor of Philadelphia (a city where democrats outnumber republicans 7 to 1) basically starts campaigning in July of the previous year, has the real election in May and then the formality of the general election the following November. Even our local candidates for small races like city council in towns with less than 100,000 people take 6-8 months of campaigning.

Our elections days are almost always set in stone, our politicians don't call for elections whenever they feel like it, which is how I assume it works in parliament systems, so candidates and political parties work around that schedule, and for bigger races you need to spend time as much time fundraising as you do meeting with voters.

When you get to senators and governors who represent millions, there's alot of hands to kiss, babies to shake and checks to cash. Elections are very much about name recognition so the longer you're out there, the better your chances will be. To most Americans, myself included, it's crazy to think that some countries take 4 or 5 weeks to decide who is going to lead their entire country.

Also, the two year representative term and the staggering of the senatorial classes means that there's federal elections every two years, and with many states having out of sync legislature or gubernatorial elections, you basically have an election going on somewhere all the time. Contrast to most Western democracies where parliamentary elections happen every 3-5 years (or when they are called, usually before a set deadline of 3-5 years for a term) and they're the only national elections that count, and local elections are synchronized to happen around the same time around the country. There's also limitations on advertising and campaigning, either legal or informal, so that campaign season may only last a few months even in countries where the election date is known well ahead of time. And there simply isn't enough money sloshing around to pay for eternal campaign season, either because there aren't any Sheldon Adelsons, or because of legal restrictions.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

baw posted:

He deserved to get his idea stolen, what with looking like a diabetic manbaby who would lose a fistfight to my senile grandmother. His campaign literature centerpiece is a testimony to a prophecy that he will be POTUS signed by a Rev Abungu http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/harley-d-brown-for-congress/Content?oid=1597222

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

baw posted:

Outside of graphs, that picture may very well be the funniest thing this RSF has produced.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

baw posted:

Hard to take somebody's natural resources after you nuke them, just an FYI.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 22, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You might also remember Harley Brown from the time he ran against Butch Otter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k8P8-KViME

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
"the blacks got the civil rights act passed"

e;
"i picked up my fair share of the gay community"

baw fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 19, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

You might also remember Harley Brown from the time he ran against Butch Otter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k8P8-KViME

1:56 in this vid haha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23LR7mqceA8

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So about that Cruz/Jindal/Huckabee speech at the "kill gays conference" that 1,700 people attended.

Maddow covered it and the absolute silence on it from those campaigns. In the clip you hear the speaker call for gays to be executed and the response crowd is applause and whistling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBDbGyv6SIQ

They contacted all 3 candidates and here's what happened

Huckabee

Huckabee’s spokeswoman Alice Stewart asked for documentation and was sent a video link. She responded the next day saying, "Gov. Huckabee appreciated the opportunity to speak with an audience in Iowa about the importance of standing up for our religious liberties."

Jindal

No response

Cruz

No response

In the right world this should have gotten more news and led to candidates dropping out but this is what we got..silence

So when I think of who is the most vile and hate able candidate currently is, Huckabee and Cruz are the winner.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
"20 years exposure to Pentecostals" sounds like the basis of a lawsuit

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Xenophon posted:

"20 years exposure to Pentecostals" sounds like the basis of a lawsuit

yeah in cali they make you hang a sign on the outside of your building about that kind of thing. "this building has been known to contain pentecostals".

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I didn't think so, but then I haven't watched a Trump speech since the second one or so. In reality, whoever they got to write this thing did a really good job at maintaining a flow. And keeping up the narrative.The only thing I would say that's kind of jarring is that it feels written for a fairly low grade level. It feels targeted toward's Trumps demographic (Low-information white males without any college education) quite well. It's written to be accessible to them, and I'm not sure if they really needed to go for that. In fact, that the Trump team decided to go that route with the book might just show how serious he is; his demo might actually pick up this book and find something that is absolutely 'for' them.

He does backpedal his comments on race a bit, but more in a 'the media twisted my words' way, rather than an 'I'm sorry' kind of way.

Time to Get Tough is written similarly. He uses plain, clear language to establish his points, reinforces points across each chapter, and it comes across as exactly the same way he speaks. Trump is deliberately not writing toward an audience that expects to read complex linguistic constructs or heavily nuanced ideas from him.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

In the right world this should have gotten more news and led to candidates dropping out but this is what we got..silence

So when I think of who is the most vile and hate able candidate currently is, Huckabee and Cruz are the winner.

If any of them make it to the general, this will come back to haunt them. But none of them ever will and they know it, so they saw it as an opportunity to boost their conservative cred. Cruz seems to have some popularity, but he must be aware that he's made too many enemies to get the nomination.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So about that Cruz/Jindal/Huckabee speech at the "kill gays conference" that 1,700 people attended.

Maddow covered it and the absolute silence on it from those campaigns. In the clip you hear the speaker call for gays to be executed and the response crowd is applause and whistling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBDbGyv6SIQ

They contacted all 3 candidates and here's what happened

Huckabee

Huckabee’s spokeswoman Alice Stewart asked for documentation and was sent a video link. She responded the next day saying, "Gov. Huckabee appreciated the opportunity to speak with an audience in Iowa about the importance of standing up for our religious liberties."

Jindal

No response

Cruz

No response

:stare:

Jesus christ, how the gently caress can any of those pricks call themselves a Christian? How can any of them call themselves a loving human being even?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
From the PPP poll.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Thump! posted:

:stare:

Jesus christ, how the gently caress can any of those pricks call themselves a Christian? How can any of them call themselves a loving human being even?

I generally assume that all the people who crow the loudest about what great Christians they are have a secret underground rape basement like that Austrian guy since they disproportionately tend to be real pieces of poo poo.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Front and center! Trump must have been the first to the registrar's office.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Patter Song posted:

From the PPP poll.

Rock, Paper, Scissors for the republican primary: Gold, Water, Jell-O

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

How is America even real

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

@AthenaCNN On good friend & frequent tv spokesman Armstrong Williams, Carson says "he does not speak for me" & has nothing to do with his campaign.

Armstrong Williams is Carson's business manager and top advisor, of course

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Lord of Pie posted:

I generally assume that all the people who crow the loudest about what great Christians they are have a secret underground rape basement like that Austrian guy since they disproportionately tend to be real pieces of poo poo.

Piety is a shield for the morally bankrupt

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Lord of Pie posted:

Matthew 6:16 - "Those who stand on the street and praise me shall not ever heaven. Instead, pray in a closet"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Stoat posted:

How is America even real

im starting to think its not and we're all just beetles dreaming we're people

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Rocks posted:

@AthenaCNN On good friend & frequent tv spokesman Armstrong Williams, Carson says "he does not speak for me" & has nothing to do with his campaign.

Armstrong Williams is Carson's business manager and top advisor, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

I usually like to be glib and silly itt but this really disturbed me. It's like the only thing keeping radical christianity from going full taliban is that the US is still economically secure enough to keep people relatively complacent. Another economic crash is starting to look scary for new and different reasons.

• Locked thread