Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, you can scrap weapons at the weapons workbench, you can scrap armor (well, at least some of it) at the armor workbench, but how do I scrap things like fans and typewriters and toy cars and poo poo like that without just tossing it on the floor and doing it through the build menu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sector_corrector posted:

So everyone knows that the Lost Patrol quest is pretty severely bugged due to Danse being a potential follower. If you don't turn it in at the right point (before the BoS shows up) then you can't turn it in until after you do drudge work for the Brotherhood. I've had this quest in my log for at least 80% of my playtime, and at this point I can't imagine the 200 caps and 300 experience I'm going to get for it are even worth the effort, but I may as well. So I finally have the option to talk to Danse to turn in the quest, and track him down to where he's pacing the length of a bridge in the middle of the Wasteland for no discernable reason. He turns to me and says, "I've reported your progress to Commander Kells, talk to him."

And it's like "you motherfuckers."

I just happened across that guy before finishing it and he's like "oh yeah that you report it to me now".

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

PantsBandit posted:

Geez it's like you guys don't even know how zombies work
But the head is supposed to be the place you shoot to kill them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

New Leaf posted:

I'm fine with a lot of things in the game that seem to irk other folks but sometimes it bothers me when I find the caps and pipe pistols in locked safes that presumably haven't been opened since before the bombs dropped.

nah some post-war safe cracker has a sense of humor. And bars of gold.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Geez it's like you guys don't even know how zombies work

technically they aren't zombies :science:

I have seen at least one headless feral ghoul running around with health left and it's entirely possible that that wasn't just a glitch

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

New Leaf posted:

I'm fine with a lot of things in the game that seem to irk other folks but sometimes it bothers me when I find the caps and pipe pistols in locked safes that presumably haven't been opened since before the bombs dropped.

I really wish that the last lockpicking perk, instead of being something that's entirely useless since you can get 500 or so bobbypins with minimal effort, was that it made any randomly generated loot stored in locked containers jump up a notch or two on the leveled list, or gave a ~10% chance at a legendary in Master locked containers or something. Lockpicking definitely feels like a waste of perks, or at least it would if combat was difficult at all.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Manatee Cannon posted:

They're basically Resident Evil 4 zombies. All the human rights activists are like "don't call them zombies that's an inaccurate slur" but behind closed doors they're saying "loving zombies are ruining our country"

This applies to all ghouls not just feral ones.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

I just happened across that guy before finishing it and he's like "oh yeah that you report it to me now".

Weird. I never got that option. He just got mad at me and told me to do my job. So I left for about a month while that Vertibird waited in the dock before I did their epic Call of Duty "use an infinite ammo gun to play a lovely railshooter while having no control over your movement" quest.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

lol so I'm at the endings now with saves poised for everything but the brotherhood and I went through with the railroad first since I just spent a while defending them here anyway. what I'm about to say can be summed up in one word: why

ok so to start with, I'm the leader of the institute now right? so a) gently caress off father-son, how can you loving order me to do poo poo? why do I have to kill those people if I don't feel like it? why isn't there an option to settle things peacefully between the two, or presumably with the brotherhood? I don't even understand the institute's plan in the first place, and quite frankly do not understand why they are so pissed about the railroad. hell, maybe if you didn't make your stupid robots sentient you wouldn't be in a position where they might want to rebel you morons. then we have the railroad side and wtf are they even thinking. you plan is to go in, shoot up the place, then blow up the one place that can make synths? WHY? what does that even accomplish for you, for anyone? the scientists are dead because we SHOT THEM! why couldn't you just take over the place? who would be there to stop you from doing it? what the gently caress you guys? there was probably some cool poo poo people up top could use you morons.

I can't wait to see the other endings and compare them to this

edit: lmao I'm listening to the holotape you get after the ending, and what makes this kid more worth saving than literally any of the other synths, father-son? why the special treatment here? because he's "you"? this is so stupid

The Brotherhood ending doesn't come with any of these weird disconnects. You're ordered to crack open the Institute using a giant, metal Sean Hannity and nuke it. When your "son" finds you in the end who cares because it's just another synth. Boom. Mission accomplished.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sector_corrector posted:

Weird. I never got that option. He just got mad at me and told me to do my job. So I left for about a month while that Vertibird waited in the dock before I did their epic Call of Duty "use an infinite ammo gun to play a lovely railshooter while having no control over your movement" quest.

Which mission's that? I haven't seen it yet. You don't mean the part where you kill the Behemoth with the vertibird's minigun do you?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11/18/fallout-4-dialogue-option-mod/

Thank you sweet Jesus

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So gatling lasers are pretty cool, been pumping points into heavy weapons. At first using fusion cores as ammo seemed costly but its actually really cheap. I can buy fusion cores for ~240 caps and get 500 shots per core which is the cheapest ammo available in the game. pew pew pew pew

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yep, that was made by a goon (Cirosan).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

Which mission's that? I haven't seen it yet. You don't mean the part where you kill the Behemoth with the vertibird's minigun do you?

I do. That's literally what I described sarcastically in my post.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

New Leaf posted:

A good fan theory is that nuka was running a big promotion where you could buy prizes with caps. Like pepsi did with labels in the 80s early 90s. So treating bottle caps like money was already a fun thing to do before the end of the war and is why everyone simultaneously thought to do it across the entire country after the war. Just imagine the prewar safe full of caps was a guy who was gonna turn it in for a branded hoodie or something.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Am I the only one that doesn't bother playing dress-up with my companions? I have them mostly for their pack mule ability and micromanaging their outfit/weapon means I can't just do "Take all" when offloading them.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, you can scrap weapons at the weapons workbench, you can scrap armor (well, at least some of it) at the armor workbench, but how do I scrap things like fans and typewriters and toy cars and poo poo like that without just tossing it on the floor and doing it through the build menu?

Go to the normal workbench or whatever it was called and press store all junk. No need to scrap it manually.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

If your charcter is woman and you are doing Nick's quest pick the sarcasm option when you find the ghoul gangster at the end, it is amazing.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

PantsBandit posted:

They're basically Resident Evil 4 zombies. All the human rights activists are like "don't call them zombies that's an inaccurate slur" but behind closed doors they're saying "loving zombies are ruining our country"
I'm hosting a zombie refugee family in my home so gently caress you.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Smol posted:

Go to the normal workbench or whatever it was called and press store all junk. No need to scrap it manually.

Huh, right on. I've been using that option, but I didn't realize it did that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Melted_Igloo posted:

I just figured out ammo weighs nothing and sells for tons of money, also purified water sells for 10 caps each and magically appears in your workshop for free

Did they intentionally want to break any semblence of economy or is this just :bethesda:

I had over a million caps at the end of FO3 and NV, FO4's economy is downright stingy in comparison.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was out doing some random poo poo just now, and came across a robot racetrack because I heard the MC over a loudspeaker. I walked up to it, and saw Mr. Gutsies, an Assaultron, and an Eyebot heading around a track. I thought to myself, "That's actually really clever. I'll go in there and bet some money on a race and see if it has a quest." It didn't. It was the same loving raider encounter I've fought ~50 of throughout the game, except this one had a guy shouting some canned dialog over it. Masterful storytelling.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Thank you Cirosan. This is literally the first mod I want and something I wanted as soon as I started the game.

I fell behind on this thread because it moves a light loving speed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sector_corrector posted:

I do. That's literally what I described sarcastically in my post.

I wasn't sure because it lasted thirty seconds. :shobon:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

The minutemen should be the one true faction but also the hardest and most busywork to side with, I mean you're literally building them from the ground up, it'd be a lot more fun and immensely satisfying to stand on the deck of the prydwyn (After you execute the brotherhood and confiscate it of course) in your natty tricorn and four star general outfit and gently press the button that wipes out the institute once and for all.

gently caress the Prydwyn, I want to fix U.S.S Constitution back up and convince Ironside to be my airship buddy.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Harrow posted:

Should be noted that the original mod was made by a Russian modder and Cirosan made the English version.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dezztroy posted:

Should be noted that the original mod was made by a Russian modder and Cirosan made the English version.

Yeah I saw that in the article. Props to both of them for making my life easier. :)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sector_corrector posted:

I was out doing some random poo poo just now, and came across a robot racetrack because I heard the MC over a loudspeaker. I walked up to it, and saw Mr. Gutsies, an Assaultron, and an Eyebot heading around a track. I thought to myself, "That's actually really clever. I'll go in there and bet some money on a race and see if it has a quest." It didn't. It was the same loving raider encounter I've fought ~50 of throughout the game, except this one had a guy shouting some canned dialog over it. Masterful storytelling.

You can just shoot every raider but you can also get passwords and/or hack and then control the robots to go kill the raiders or just set a self destruct sequence that makes each robot turn into a mininuke, you can also run onto the track and the robots will go hostile and you can fight a bunch of robots. It's not a huge story thing either way but it's only a standard "shoot all the raiders" area if you decide to play it that way. It's got some fun dumb other stuff to play with. There is even more computers to hack to release even more robots.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Game refuses to progress past the opening of the Mass Fusion main quest without crashing, and that's through two faction's parts in it. Also can't progress with the Minutemen anymore past the Castle since it got bugged when I went to the insitute the first time. Level 41, so much for that.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Heelp, i have some questions about what i guess are the games two main factions: The Railroad and Brotherhood of Steel. I'm guessing i have to chose one to side with? If so, what are the advantages to both? For instance i heard you can get a vertibird to transport you around with the BoS, what else is there that i can lock myself out of by choosing one faction?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Also my problem with the Institute

why the hell, once you have become the director, can you not start to influence change and start giving Synths rights

That was literally my entire rationale for joining the institute, to change the system from within and eventually free the most human Synths while still keeping the really robotic ones as servants and slaves because they aren't anywhere near sentient enough to matter

Seriously the entire making Synths more human thing is utterly ridiculous period, there was no reason for it at all because it almost certainly doesn't make them more reliable or more efficient. It's literally completely revolving around "HAHAHA WE ARE ENSLAVING AIS IN ROBOT BODIES EXCESSIVELY CLOSE TO HUMANS" and is the kind of moustache twirling evil that just makes zero sense.

And then, instead of your character helping and changing and fixing, you pretty much go "WELP IF IT AINT BROKE LOL" and you do NOTHING.

Not to mention the rewards for actually siding with the Institute are awful, with one exception, Experiment 18-A, which is a plasma gun that fires and reloads faster which is never a bad thing. Other than that you get a lovely vendor who has nothing but energy weapons, most of which are the lovely 1/3rd damage institute weapons. Maybe I am missing something, but the rewards for siding with the Institute are just plain awful. Why even do it? Also, it seems to me that the FEV experiments they were doing were to try and cure Shaun's completely undisclosed and unidentified disease of which he seems to not even suffer from until after the final mission, and getting the absolute panacea from vault 81 as far as I know ALSO won't do anything to help him.....

Tl;dr: the Institute questline is dumb as poo poo makes no sense and gives you zero applicable choice in changing the goals or motivations of the faction despite the fact that after a certain point you are literally leading it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

I have seen at least one headless feral ghoul running around with health left and it's entirely possible that that wasn't just a glitch

Yeah, ghouls are supposed to be based on this real life person:
Behind a link in case you find real people who look like ghouls icky for some reason.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, I can't imagine playing without the dialogue mod now. It gels perfectly with the game. Most lines aren't even much longer than a few words, making the abstracted answers even more stupid.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can just shoot every raider but you can also get passwords and/or hack and then control the robots to go kill the raiders or just set a self destruct sequence that makes each robot turn into a mininuke, you can also run onto the track and the robots will go hostile and you can fight a bunch of robots. It's not a huge story thing either way but it's only a standard "shoot all the raiders" area if you decide to play it that way. It's got some fun dumb other stuff to play with. There is even more computers to hack to release even more robots.

"You don't have to shoot every raider. You can shoot half of them, find an exposition dump terminal, and then have the game's AI shoot the other half. You can also fight a bunch of other stuff if you press a button. You can also just not go there at all."

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If you put human Curie into a hazmat suit it kinda looks like she's a robo-spaceman. It takes some of the sting off the bad decision to turn her into human Curie

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sector_corrector posted:

"You don't have to shoot every raider. You can shoot half of them, find an exposition dump terminal, and then have the game's AI shoot the other half. You can also fight a bunch of other stuff if you press a button. You can also just not go there at all."

How long did it take you to complete the epic Call of Duty rail shooter segment?

Also, when did Call of Duty become a rail shooter, I haven't played them in a while.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

How long did it take you to complete the epic Call of Duty rail shooter segment?

Also, when did Call of Duty become a rail shooter, I haven't played them in a while.

Like 10 minutes, maybe less. I don't play them much either, but every time I've seen them played there tends to be at least 1 or 2 scenarios where they put you in the gunner chair of a helicopter and then fly you around to set-pieces while you shoot infinite ammo guns at stuff.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I half-expect the guy selling swattahs in Fenway to start telling the story about the monstrous baseball team from the south, the Yan-Keys, and how every other team hated them and wanted to kill them the most.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sector_corrector posted:

Like 10 minutes, maybe less. I don't play them much either, but every time I've seen them played there tends to be at least 1 or 2 scenarios where they put you in the gunner chair of a helicopter and then fly you around to set-pieces while you shoot infinite ammo guns at stuff.

How on earth did it take you ten minutes to kill the Behemoth? That's not even the whole quest, you jump out right after. Also ok thanks I really didn't know I haven't played one since MW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Does commando work with miniguns and Gatling lasers? The explosives perk with missile launchers? I really don't understand the weapon categories in this game and I wish there was a UI indicator to make it more explicit.

• Locked thread