Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

deadly_pudding posted:

Hooollly poo poo. I just came back to this thread and now there are planets? AND we can drill through them? What's the viability of building a ridiculous planetcracker drill that just falls all the way through the planet using drills + gravity, dumping all its spoils into a detachable vehicle that's mostly made of cargo containers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OeYxQn2yys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jesus loving Christ. I wish I had the patience for stuff like this.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I hope that, eventually, Hydrogen fuel tanks become explosive when damaged/destroyed. Or spray fire through conveyor tubes.

Also they should probably texture some more of the blocks. Catwalks in particular.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I've started building a rail system and noticed that at around 300 or 400 blocks in length, the blocks start cutting out or tearing. I guess the system will have to be mulipart. My idea was to make a giant system that goes into a hanger 1km inside a mountain, possibly decend deeper into the planet and is completely rail centric. Im diggin planets this far, I hope they really optimize them within the next few months cause they are wonky as fudge at the moment.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Update!

Keen forums posted:

Features
- intuitive planetary building (station rotation mode ON by default)
- added option to place small/large ships and base station into toolbar
- new menu videos

Fixes
- fixed placing the base station on the surface of planets
- fixed missing asteroids in DX9
- fixed displacement for high grids
- fixed loading screen in DX9
- fixed crash when deleting LCD panel
- fixed crash when ships collide
- fixed crash with hydrogen thrusters
- fixed crash when using jump drive
- fixed crash when computing mass of the grid
- fixed crash when drag and dropping items in inventory
- fixed crash when using jetpack
- fixed damaged reactor still providing power

One might presume the next few updates will be mostly fixes. I don't mind.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Wow planets are amazing. If I do an infinite world will planets be randomly spawned for it?

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Azuth0667 posted:

Wow planets are amazing. If I do an infinite world will planets be randomly spawned for it?

No. Right now planets are static. Depending on which universe you pick, it spawns one or several of a handful of pre-generated planets.

They might eventually do dynamically generated planets, but thats a ways out.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
You can also make modded planets and add them to existing maps in creative mode like asteroids. I hope someone comes up with a hollow earth planet or dwarf gas giant. Max size atmosphere that's always hazy, tiny core of uranium, gold and iron with massive amounts of gravity as you descend through layers of cloud.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
There is definitely something wrong with thrusters and they are not putting out the thrust they should be. In creative I was placing a bunch of large hydrogen thrusters, about 20 or so, and it started crashing whenever I'd try to place another. This also happens with hydrogen tanks and it seemed to stop regular thrusters from working at all. :rip: self contained base ship the drones and pirates couldn't kill you but a random bug sent you smashing into the ground.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Click your game save and go edit settings. Click the mods button and you should see all the mods you subbed to. Move them over to the right and load up the game.

Thanks, this fixed it.

Now I'm flying around planets and holy loving poo poo the size makes the stock speed limit unbearable. I'm playing with speed limit mods to see how fast I can go without exploding my computer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Logikv9 posted:

Thanks, this fixed it.

Now I'm flying around planets and holy loving poo poo the size makes the stock speed limit unbearable. I'm playing with speed limit mods to see how fast I can go without exploding my computer.

Be aware that the speed limit is a physics engine limit for a reason. If you go too fast, you may experience physics weirdness for any subcraft onboard, along with rotors and pistons.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhjamiz posted:

Also they should probably texture some more of the blocks. Catwalks in particular.

I think they should simplify the graphics but make them stylized, for reasons of performance and aesthetics. Something between Rodina and Enemy Starfighter.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Yisssss.

Thank you

Edit: Seems like they fixed rocks never being cleaned up. Welcome back framerate, I missed you.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 20, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm trying to make a big ramp for my airplane and those sloped armor ramps keep bending and deforming other blocks near them when I place them! What the gently caress? When I weld them it makes I giant bent thing that really defeats the purpose of having a ramp.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I'm trying to make a big ramp for my airplane and those sloped armor ramps keep bending and deforming other blocks near them when I place them! What the gently caress? When I weld them it makes I giant bent thing that really defeats the purpose of having a ramp.

You're using smooth armor blocks. It tries to make a smooth surface and for the most part just fucks poo poo up.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Game is 50% off now, tell your friends.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Don't use armor blocks with the words "angled" or "rounded" or with the little double arrow icon on them. Those blocks are all deforming ones that make the blocks merge together.

Evidently there are people who can use that stuff in a way that doesn't look like crap but it's mot easy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So with a bit more testing, it turns out my Mk.3 Kestrel shuttle will actually fly just fine on its Industrial Thrusters up past an altitude of 10km (around 0.8G gravity). I think I can live with using Hydrogen thrusters as suborbital boosters for getting it up past 7km where the atmospheric thrusters cut out, and I suspect it could actually fly up on a shallow angle spaceplane-esque without brute-forcing it with the hydrogen thruster as a booster :toot:.

It also flies just fine on the Atmosphere and Industrial Thrusters once down over the planet, and will happily hover stationary in the air.

It just does not want to lift vertically though :sigh:. I still hold that it's a bug and atmospheric thrusters aren't pumping as much thrust as they say they are.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So with a bit more testing, it turns out my Mk.3 Kestrel shuttle will actually fly just fine on its Industrial Thrusters up past an altitude of 10km (around 0.8G gravity). I think I can live with using Hydrogen thrusters as suborbital boosters for getting it up past 7km where the atmospheric thrusters cut out, and I suspect it could actually fly up on a shallow angle spaceplane-esque without brute-forcing it with the hydrogen thruster as a booster :toot:.

It also flies just fine on the Atmosphere and Industrial Thrusters once down over the planet, and will happily hover stationary in the air.

It just does not want to lift vertically though :sigh:. I still hold that it's a bug and atmospheric thrusters aren't pumping as much thrust as they say they are.

:swoon:

Octavion
Apr 5, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you checked you're not overloading your reactors? I had a similar lift problem and found that it was due to the thrusters not working at full power due to reactor overload.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Octavion posted:

Have you checked you're not overloading your reactors? I had a similar lift problem and found that it was due to the thrusters not working at full power due to reactor overload.

Yup, even stuffed a few more in while upgrading it to be sure.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SE has a free weekend apparently so I'm downloading it to give it a shot.

Does ME also let you build something good, like a magical flying shithouse, or it is just walls vs. balls?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Just balls to the walls, as you said. But there's multi-block building and I want that for SE. :saddowns:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Math with atmospheric thrusters is broken from the given values. Especially for the Large Block small atmo-thrusters. Only use the big ones for lift if you want to fight gravity with any success. They are adequate for basic manoeuvring thrusters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHNByN7iklM

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I find that the size of armor blocks when building smaller big ships bothers me more than before now that planets are in, and I crave skinnier armor pieces like nothing else. When I actually have to lift the thing off planet and out of orbit, I feel like everything I make is fatter and heavier than it has any right to be.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 20, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Great. SE tells me it can't load a tutorial because "it has been created in newer version of the game"

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Black Griffon posted:

I find that the size of armor blocks when building smaller big ships bothers me more than before now that planets are in, and I crave skinnier armor pieces like nothing else. When I actually have to lift the thing off planet and out of orbit, I feel like everything I make is fatter and heavier than it has any right to be.

Tried the small ship mega mod pack

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hotfix dropped;

quote:

EDIT 11/20/2015:
Update 01.109.012

- fixed crash when grinding ship
- fixed crash with laser antenna
- fixed crash with space ball
- fixed space bottles not showing percentage
- fixed toolbars not saving correctly
- fixed tutorials cannot be loaded
- fixed deaths on server
- fixed various bugs in tutorials

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Lol, were they doing and updating the tutorials with the dev build?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I finally got to see Sabiroids on a Xeno Moon, and they're quite persistent little devils. The way they spawn by burrowing out of the ground is neat, but it might need a tweak or something.

This one burrowed up through the floor of my shuttle :gonk:.

Little bastards also almost got me while on their planet proper while I was checking menus.

Later, you little six-legged shitlords :flip:. Flies just fine in 1.10g even with loaded cargo containers, but it does need Hydrogen to get up off the ground. Turns out It does indeed actually manage to spaceplane its way up into orbit without Hydrogen, if you keep the angle shallow and didn't have any choice but to try because the tanks were empty.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've spent today playing Empyrion - Galactic Survival. It's much more survival-oriented than SE, as the name would suggest. Haven't worked my way up to a spaceship yet, having too much fun building an underground base/mine, as the seed I'm playing dropped my escape pod right on top of a fuel ore lode.

I've picked and eaten wild-growing corndogs, and been attacked by a mobile, carnivorous plant.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

GotLag posted:

I've spent today playing Empyrion - Galactic Survival. It's much more survival-oriented than SE, as the name would suggest. Haven't worked my way up to a spaceship yet, having too much fun building an underground base/mine, as the seed I'm playing dropped my escape pod right on top of a fuel ore lode.

I've picked and eaten wild-growing corndogs, and been attacked by a mobile, carnivorous plant.

Is it worth the price? I've been eying it but the fact that it looked like an obvious cash grab riding SE's coat tails made me wary.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Is there any trick to finding resources? I'm trying the Lone Survivor start and so far managed to get gold, platinum, silver, nickel, magnesium... everything but loving cobalt, which is necessary for any thrusters.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

If I do the basic earth start can I fly to mars or the alien world?

SliceofVice
Aug 9, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

Is it worth the price? I've been eying it but the fact that it looked like an obvious cash grab riding SE's coat tails made me wary.

Empyerion is a game I've also been eyeing for a while. It is a bit amateur hour compared to the..attempted polish of SE, but it has a lot of merits I wish were translated into SE. In short I would suggest you wait a bit if you are on the fence until it becomes a bit more feature complete, but here's a quick run down:

Pros:
-Does a reasonable job of incorporating some progression and making survival interesting (some resources moon/planet specific, tech tree)
-Points of interest on planets that reward exploration
-Resources and Points of Interest are balanced for gameplay progression and not entirely random
-Mining Voxels feels a bit more intuitive to me. You have more control, and can easily flatten land and add concrete voxels
-Defending your base from drones is more balanced and sensible than SE. I hope they expand this in the future

Cons:
-Much less interesting building mechanics and variety
-Dodgy/shoddy physics
-No proper land vehicles. The hover vehicle is rubbish
-No mining progression. Hand held drill only. (larger scale drills supposedly on the road map at some point)

Major Differences:
-More focus on FPS survival. You aren't constantly fighting things, but you won't want to leave your base without a good weapon and ammo.
-Parts are preconstructed so you don't need to ferry components around

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there any trick to finding resources? I'm trying the Lone Survivor start and so far managed to get gold, platinum, silver, nickel, magnesium... everything but loving cobalt, which is necessary for any thrusters.

I'm stuck on a DX9 card so I haven't been able to play planets, but supposedly resources are visibly located under dark patches of terrain (easy to spot in flight in daylight.) All resources are potentially available on all of the planets if I read right, just that some things like Uranium spawn less frequently.

Hopefully they change this up in the future, it's something I've always hated about SE. The progression is utterly broken in the sense that you can't build even a small ship without needing at least trace amounts of almost all of the resources meaning you spend an hour dicking around looking for resources, then suddenly there's a binary switch and you've got enough poo poo to build a decent sized large ship or station.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
That's why I love that Gravel extractor mod linked a couple times in the past five pages. Build up a small power surplus then process Stone > Gravel > trace amounts of everything else. Eventually you get enough uranium out of it for it to be self sustaining as long as you keep hauling cargo containers full of stone and building enough large reactors.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Ugh. Building in gravity sucks. :( I'm used to building everything in zero-G, so trying to make vehicles planetside is killing me (sometimes literally).

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Building on land is cool cause then you have to build scaffolding during construction. The bad part is when you get launched 10km away and die on a mountain somewhere, your body flying into oblivion.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I do love when you're building on a planet and die while building which sends your body to the moon so you respawn in time just to watch your corpse pancake the ground or land on what ever you're building.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I think that's why they patched in the ability to place blocks from the construction cockpit. Can anyone recommend a good blueprint for atmospheric construction craft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

SliceofVice posted:

Hopefully they change this up in the future, it's something I've always hated about SE. The progression is utterly broken in the sense that you can't build even a small ship without needing at least trace amounts of almost all of the resources meaning you spend an hour dicking around looking for resources, then suddenly there's a binary switch and you've got enough poo poo to build a decent sized large ship or station.

And what little you have is either safe, or under constant threat from meteors and/or wandering pirate motherships depending on your world settings.

At least now with planets they've differentiated resources a bit, and tweaked platinum (nonexistent on planets) so it's not needed for early-game things like solar panels like it used to.

• Locked thread