Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Count me in to buy a copy. I've been shooting weird bodybuilders for the past year, i doubt you want that trash in your very serious art zine for grown ups.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Option 2 but change the font to something slimmer. I like the serif.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Option 2

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i like 2, it leaves that nice photo unblemished

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
How did I not see this until today?!?!

I am unreasonably enthusiastic about Dorkroom projects. There's something appealing about doom-by-apathy.

I am IN IN IN IN IN! I haven't seen a notice that the door has closed, can I please please please be in on this?

Yond Cassius posted:

With any luck this project will work out better than my Astia giveaway.

I liked that project a lot, even if my contribution sucked (but was on time).

And I like Option 1.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mido posted:

i like 2, it leaves that nice photo unblemished

same

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Option 2 for this guy

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Option two. Seconding the vote for a serif font but whatever, I'll deal without them.

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
option 2 all the way

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ExecuDork posted:

I liked that project a lot, even if my contribution sucked (but was on time).

It was a great project! I liked that it got some people excited about trying new (to them) film stocks and even got a couple people shooting medium format. I don't have any meaningful regrets about it, though I do want to send everyone outstanding (almost everyone) a poke message to see if I can't wrap it up a year late.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

It was a great project! I liked that it got some people excited about trying new (to them) film stocks and even got a couple people shooting medium format. I don't have any meaningful regrets about it, though I do want to send everyone outstanding (almost everyone) a poke message to see if I can't wrap it up a year late.

If it helps, I feel guilty about not using it yet about once a week. The past year has been busy between job changes, moving across states, and a health issue scare ( it is not cancer :-) ). I mainly have been over complicating it and trying to save it for something special.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

No.2 please.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Dumb question, but how will the color profile stuff work here for our submissions? I've never printed seriously and don't know what the heck I'm doing. Every time I try to print something on my Pixma it looks like murky crap.

Side note- is there a good intro book to digital printing?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Dumb question, but how will the color profile stuff work here for our submissions? I've never printed seriously and don't know what the heck I'm doing. Every time I try to print something on my Pixma it looks like murky crap.

My guess is, calibrate your monitor (if you can) and export in sRGB.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

daspope posted:

If it helps, I feel guilty about not using it yet about once a week. The past year has been busy between job changes, moving across states, and a health issue scare ( it is not cancer :-) ). I mainly have been over complicating it and trying to save it for something special.

Good to hear it wasn't cancer!
Take your time. I haven't had the greatest creative year either - I think I went three months once without even taking a camera out of the apartment. Good things are worth waiting for.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Option 2 because I finally figured out that 1 crops the photo too

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Option 2 it is. We have ourselves a front cover.

So, here's what's next. We need to close registrations of interest so I can get a quote based on how many goons are likely to be involved. So, to set an entirely arbitrary cutoff day... let's just say nobody else will be accepted after this coming weekend. Looks like pretty much everyone is in now, anyway.

Secondly, we need people to submit their photos so that Ansel Autisms can brutally cull the poo poo(test) stuff. I was toying around with Dropboxes and Google Drives but that was all too fiddly, so for the sake of making this process as easy and as accessible for everyone... post your submissions(of up to five photos, poems, essays etc) in this thread. The deadline for submissions is December 5. Don't miss the deadline or you'll miss out. Feel free to change your submissions up until that point, we'll make sure the curating doesn't happen until after that.

Theme: Post Your Least lovely Work
Deadline: Saturday December 5 (give or take a bit of time for global time zones, I'll accept your poo poo on Sunday but don't come grovelling to me on the 10th or something.)
Instructions: Post five photos in this thread. You will be judged, possibly within the public space of the Dorkroom. Sensitive souls need not apply. Only those photos passing the quality standards of Ansel Autisms will be considered for the zine. Remember, if accepted, you will have only a double page spread to work within, so some of your shots may hit the cutting room floor even if they pass the rigorous curating process.

New instructions coming soon.

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 19, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Ignore this poo poo post.

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 19, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 20, 2015

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Clarifying question: For these submissions do you want them to be proofed to print? Or once we know what's getting used we send high res / exported for printing versions?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I would like to be in. I don't hold out much hope that my stuff will survive the initial round of purges but I'd still like to participate and I'll buy a copy regardless because I like shiny things full of photographs.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

Clarifying question: For these submissions do you want them to be proofed to print? Or once we know what's getting used we send high res / exported for printing versions?

I'd say it's like that yea, post the flickr links here. Then when the dust settles, provide properly sized/proofed photos.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I'm in too, might as well give it a shot and participate while I'm following this venture anyway.

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
Before I slap photos all up in here, I could do a naturey mountain set of 5 or a grungey mechanical set of 5. What would be a better fit for this?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

MythObstacleIV posted:

Before I slap photos all up in here, I could do a naturey mountain set of 5 or a grungey mechanical set of 5. What would be a better fit for this?

Think this is the type of thing we're going to have to decide for ourselves.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

IMO we should be doing submissions art gallery style via email with actual print-ready images.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ansel autisms posted:

IMO we should be doing submissions art gallery style via email with actual print-ready images by burying me in 11x14 portfolio books.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

IMO we should be doing submissions art gallery style via email with actual print-ready images.

I like the email idea too, only because it means paging through the finished zine will be a surprise as to what's included.

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147

BANME.sh posted:

I like the email idea too, only because it means paging through the finished zine will be a surprise as to what's included.

Yeah that's a good point, would be great at the end, surprise wise.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Will it jump straight in to photos from page 1 or will somebody get to write a pretentious introduction?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Will it jump straight in to photos from page 1 or will somebody get to write a pretentious introduction?

Seems pretty obvious to me.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BANME.sh posted:

Yeah same, I'd rather discover everyone's submissions on paper if I have the choice

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Thoogsby posted:

Seems pretty obvious to me.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

can this thread now be a place to discuss the do's and dont's of proofing? i've not done any real print work :smith:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Yeah email is a good idea. What email address we sending stuff to?

Edit: Thanks VVV

TomR fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

TomR posted:

Yeah email is a good idea. What email address we sending stuff to?

obama@whitehouse.gov

• Locked thread