Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So wait, is the whole thing kaput? Because they were making a pretty big deal about being able to easily port to Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Drastic Actions posted:

According to people talking to Windows Central, Project Astoria (The whole "Running an Android VM on Windows 10" stuff) was either delayed or canceled. It was removed from the last few betas, including the apparent newest build to be released.

I won't miss it. :)
I've never played with it myself, but I was hoping to start once I grabbed a new flagship. There is a tiny group of apps that I wanted to try and run on my next phone to cover the gaps left by other companies. Specifically, a Nest app and a Wahoo app. I'm a little bummed that certain completely non-phone related products are starting to require apps to function rather than be paired as companion apps. I can understand the Nest one, but why a bike computer with it's own screen and buttons on the unit needs a phone app to be set up is beyond me.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

According to people talking to Windows Central, Project Astoria (The whole "Running an Android VM on Windows 10" stuff) was either delayed or canceled. It was removed from the last few betas, including the apparent newest build to be released.

I won't miss it. :)

Surely it would be tied to a Visual Studio release rather than a OS release if it were to happen? If a new version of VS is released without it I'll buy that it has been cancelled.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Surely it would be tied to a Visual Studio release rather than a OS release if it were to happen? If a new version of VS is released without it I'll buy that it has been cancelled.

What? It has never been apart of it. It was an NDA'ed tool.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The point being, I mean, that the point of the portability runtime would surely be to provide a proper toolchain from porting, with VS reading xcode projects and whatnot. It is the only way to make that kind of move make much sense, since you'd want it to be a starting point towards getting WP apps up and running, not something developers does once and then never adapts beyond that point.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So wait, is the whole thing kaput? Because they were making a pretty big deal about being able to easily port to Windows.

Only the Android porting tool has been delayed or canceled, and there is no real information beyond that.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
My trusty 3 year old 920 has taken a few nasty tumbles. Some directly onto its screen onto asphalt. Something is clearly rattling around inside it. Despite all of that, though, there's a minor ding on one corner of the shell and it still works perfectly.

My two month old iPhone 6 plus (in a loving otterbox) slid off my lap while I was sitting on the floor and fell 6 inches onto carpet and now the screen doesn't work.

So, now I've been playing with the 920 for the last few hours. The latest 10 build is loving fantastic.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Anyone ever used the Nokia Care Suite to manually flash their phones? My 520 is finally refusing to boot at all, going straight from carrier logo to a BSOD - I'm currently trying the Windows Device Recovery Tool, I'll see if that works, but actually having to choose files to flash through NCS (if this doesn't work) sounds a bit daunting.

I have a very old iPhone 3GS I can use as an emergency phone in case neither recovery works - how long realistically until the 550/950 get launched in the UK? I'm half tempted to just get a 640 and use that, but I'd rather get one of the newer ones if they're gonna be out relatively soon.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

DarkMalfunction posted:

Anyone ever used the Nokia Care Suite to manually flash their phones? My 520 is finally refusing to boot at all, going straight from carrier logo to a BSOD - I'm currently trying the Windows Device Recovery Tool, I'll see if that works, but actually having to choose files to flash through NCS (if this doesn't work) sounds a bit daunting.

I have a very old iPhone 3GS I can use as an emergency phone in case neither recovery works - how long realistically until the 550/950 get launched in the UK? I'm half tempted to just get a 640 and use that, but I'd rather get one of the newer ones if they're gonna be out relatively soon.

i think ETA is NOV 20th.

From what i understand Astoria is postponed until they can sort their poo poo on that. Though project Islandwood looks 10x better and would give us access to iOS apps if the devs wanted to port over. would be 10x better than astoria apps as Islandwood apps are converted iOS apps that run native and not emulated like the Astoria. From what i understood anyway.

Also thanks for answering my questions i am going to get a 950/XL :parrot:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I wasn't going to replace my 640, but my home internet is total garbage (I'm averaging 1 - 1.5Mbps) while my phone gets 15Mbps, so having Continuum for watching videos on a big screen would be really, really useful.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I wasn't going to replace my 640, but my home internet is total garbage (I'm averaging 1 - 1.5Mbps) while my phone gets 15Mbps, so having Continuum for watching videos on a big screen would be really, really useful.

You could get a Miracast receiver like this one in the meantime. Has anyone tried this with Windows 10? I'm wondering whether it still only mirrors or whether you can extend to the other screen as well.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Hey, what do you know, the recovery tool completely worked, no more boot errors with the SIM card, it now boots (!) - having to apply all the updates since 2013 and reinstall all my personal poo poo is a pain, but at least my phone works (had a scary moment where it was stuck showing the Nokia logo for 25 minutes though, that was pretty rear end puckering).

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

DarkMalfunction posted:

Hey, what do you know, the recovery tool completely worked, no more boot errors with the SIM card, it now boots (!) - having to apply all the updates since 2013 and reinstall all my personal poo poo is a pain, but at least my phone works (had a scary moment where it was stuck showing the Nokia logo for 25 minutes though, that was pretty rear end puckering).

Did you not have a functional backup? If you do, you can always hard reset it, login, and restore your backup.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
As a 1520 owner, I really want to be excited over the 950 but just can't. I really don't see a major selling point for me. :smith:

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

OldPueblo posted:

Did you not have a functional backup? If you do, you can always hard reset it, login, and restore your backup.

The inbuilt backup always failed for some reason (I.e. Backing up to Onedrive), but after I logged into my M$ account, all my contacts and the important stuff came back - all my photos and videos and tunes were already on my PC, so it's not a biggie.

Any ideas why the inbuilt backup never worked? Currently at school, but I'll try it when I'm back on my home wi-fi. Maybe it was just the same symptom of my phones installation being hosed.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

DarkMalfunction posted:

Any ideas why the inbuilt backup never worked?

Did it ever? Even once? If so, delete that and try again. This is an issue I had for a long time where one bad backup stopped all future ones. If truly never, check that your linked Microsoft account is "up to date" as I've also had an issue there with the server address getting changed somehow and prohibiting me from backing up.

Only two things I can think of. Good luck.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think there might be something wrong with my SD card which is preventing me from moving to a W10 preview, but don't really wanna buy a new one.

Basically, when my 640 XL is running 8.1, sometimes when I turn it on it tells me there are errors on my SD card and asks if I want to scan it and fix them. If I tap "Yes" (and then keep the phone on the Start screen for a good half hour or so so it doesn't just lose its progress on that) it'll eventually say the card has unrecoverable errors and that I should get a new one, but if I tap "No" it just, y'know, works. As expected. All my music and apps are on that thing, and it has no problem reading and launching them respectively.

However if I run a W10 preview it just plain refuses to read the card in either case and if I want to access my music I have to roll back.

If I use an SD-to-USB adapter to plug the SD card in question into my computer, it never even acknowledges that I plugged something in, but that could just as easily be a failure of my adapter as of the card. Is there a way I can wipe out the card using my phone and start from scratch, or should I try getting a new adapter to format the card via PC, or is it possible the card is borked on such a core level that it's not even worth doing that and I should just go straight to buying a new card?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

My 535 has a Storage Sense app that has a format option at the bottom when I go to the SD card. Which is what I would try.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

950 up for orders online tomorrow. In stores on 20th. Microsoftstore.com is taking 950XL preorders now. Shipping the 25th.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

.Tim posted:

950 up for orders online tomorrow. In stores on 20th. Microsoftstore.com is taking 950XL preorders now. Shipping the 25th.

Is that worldwide? I couldn't find the date on the UK Microsoft website.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

DarkMalfunction posted:

Is that worldwide? I couldn't find the date on the UK Microsoft website.

All I'm seeing is US and Canada for Microsoftstore site so far. But Amazon has UK preorders from what I see.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

.Tim posted:

All I'm seeing is US and Canada for Microsoftstore site so far. But Amazon has UK preorders from what I see.

Well I'd be grabbing one on contract, provided that Vodafone carry it (my dad who owns the account has been with Vodafone since they started so gets a poo poo ton of loyalty discounts and stuff), so it's the release date I'm more concerned about.

Still, excellent news to see it coming out so soon. Any news on when W10M is actually going to be finalised?

DarkMalfunction fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 16, 2015

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm confused, why isn't the 950xl on At&t? Also I feel like when I got my Lumia 920 at launch for $150 with a contract, it seemed like the contract price was lowered to $0-50 like a month later, am I remembering that right and is there any reason to not assume this might be the same type of situation?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone get their 950 early?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
When is the XL being released?

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

I'm confused, why isn't the 950xl on At&t? Also I feel like when I got my Lumia 920 at launch for $150 with a contract, it seemed like the contract price was lowered to $0-50 like a month later, am I remembering that right and is there any reason to not assume this might be the same type of situation?

A few weeks after I signed up to a 24-month contract for my 520 my carrier almost halved the monthly price. Perhaps wait a bit. Also, that has the added advantage of letting some of the current phones drop in price as the newer models come out, perhaps snap up a bargain.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
So last quarter WP nabbed 1.7% marketshare apparently

Mods: Move this thread to E/N

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

When is the XL being released?

Seriously?

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

.Tim posted:

Seriously?

that's actually a very valid question. Best guess is that pre-orders ordered online yesterday will be delivered on the 25th. Pre-ordered later yesterday and today is due December 11th. Pre-orders are currently closed because Microsoft apparently only made like 20,000 phones.

Its entirely unclear when you can walk into a Microsoft store and buy one. On Wpcentral forums, some people have spoken to Microsoft store managers and report it'll be available in stores on the 26th (yes, on thanksgiving...).

Its entirely unclear what putting your name down on in-store preorders a month ago did. It may reserve you a phone in store or it may be worthless.
Its also unclear whether buying in store gets you the continuum dock deal similar to those who pre-ordered online.

I avoided preordering online because I assumed it'd be available in stores the same day that preorders would be delivered. This seems to be incorrect.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
am I the last to notice the current version of outlook mail re-adds linked inboxes? frickin sweet

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Also in the news, linked inboxes are now gone because they were buggy. :tipshat:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Apparently the latest build on the Fast ring is out now, I got 10.0.10586.11 this night on my 640 and installed it this morning. Storage is now back to normal, shows both SD card and phone storage separately and you can again select where to store stuff. Glance still isn't working though, but instead of crashing it gives a clean error message saying there may be an update in the store.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Smoke posted:

Apparently the latest build on the Fast ring is out now, I got 10.0.10586.11 this night on my 640 and installed it this morning. Storage is now back to normal, shows both SD card and phone storage separately and you can again select where to store stuff. Glance still isn't working though, but instead of crashing it gives a clean error message saying there may be an update in the store.

At least on my 920 there are two different glance apps. One that won't install from the store and one under extras (the legacy one I believe). The legacy one still works on my 920, maybe try that one.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Loaded the preview on my 640 as well and so far so good. Loving the fact that I can respond to text messages without opening up the messaging app.

Only annoying thing is that for the new universal apps (this is there on the awful app too), the menu button is on the top left. Would be nice if a swipe from the left would bring up the menu or there was a menu button somewhere easily reachable. Small complaint (especially with the one handed mode).

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

OldPueblo posted:

At least on my 920 there are two different glance apps. One that won't install from the store and one under extras (the legacy one I believe). The legacy one still works on my 920, maybe try that one.

The one under Extras is the one that doesn't work anymore, although now it seems to open but show just a black screen with Glance Settings at the top. Can't reinstall it either.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Zarfol posted:

Only annoying thing is that for the new universal apps (this is there on the awful app too), the menu button is on the top left. Would be nice if a swipe from the left would bring up the menu or there was a menu button somewhere easily reachable. Small complaint (especially with the one handed mode).

The control for making that menu (Split View) does not support the gesture. So if a developer wants to add that functionality to it, they have to roll their own solution. So your best bet is to yell at Microsoft and tell them to make it a supported gesture.

having said that, they never added pull to refresh controls and I ended up making my own anyway. So...

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

The control for making that menu (Split View) does not support the gesture. So if a developer wants to add that functionality to it, they have to roll their own solution. So your best bet is to yell at Microsoft and tell them to make it a supported gesture.

having said that, they never added pull to refresh controls and I ended up making my own anyway. So...

Interesting, after looking at the wp10 news app it makes sense.

Is it possible in the awful app to add a link/button to bookmarks and the main forums page in the three little dots menu in the bottom right?

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Drastic Actions posted:

Or, you could get rid of the hamburger and do it some other way! The MS design folks make it clear that they want it to be up to the app author to design their app however makes sense for them. They're not prescriptive like they were last time round. Hamburger has been offered as an option because developers had been asking for it, but there's no mandate to use it. Personally I wouldn't.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

ljw1004 posted:

Or, you could get rid of the hamburger and do it some other way! The MS design folks make it clear that they want it to be up to the app author to design their app however makes sense for them. They're not prescriptive like they were last time round. Hamburger has been offered as an option because developers had been asking for it, but there's no mandate to use it. Personally I wouldn't.

Hamburger in the top-left is the actual worst possible place for any control. Ugh. Even on my now-relatively-small 925 it's too far for my gorilla hand to comfortably reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ljw1004 posted:

You're right, it's just a font icon. I could change it to whatever I want ;). A friend of mine who is making a 2ch app has a menu option to switch that icon to anything (emoji, pngs, whatever) and I'm tempted to steal that.

I'm fine with the hamburger :shrug:. On desktops and tablets it's a very useful way access those menu options quickly (either by opening up the split view, or just clicking the option). On phones it's more tricky because of the placement issue (and of course, I can control that too), but I put menu options in there that don't need to be frequently hit. The most frequent choices are flipping between the main forums page and bookmarks. But at least in my workflow, I usually go to bookmarks, clear them out, then go to the main forums page or tabs for anything else. So while it's not ideal for all cases, I feel for consistency with the desktop app, it's worth it.

Also I don't want to do contextual UI for devices. Right now on phones the app functions (nearly) the same as it does when shrunk to the minimum size on desktops or tablets. I don't want to think about moving elements of UI specifically for phones if I can avoid it. Not saying I would not, but I would like to not have to if I could.

At least for now, you can double tap the Windows button to lower the top half the screen down. :v: