Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's sad actually. I think you lack empathy and compassion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

This is true.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

I think it's good the dude finished it since it seems like he wanted to.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Serious Frolicking posted:

The funny thing about that manga is that the author literally finished it on his deathbed. His magnum opus was a mediocre shounen fighting manga, which I don't think will ever stop being funny.

It started off pretty strong and then tapered off as the author was literally dying of liver cancer, which I can imagine might have had some small impact on the quality

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ytlaya posted:

I just read "Alive - The Final Evolution." It was a pretty mediocre series. I liked a lot of the characters, but the plot really dragged on in the second half. It also had one of the most disappointing results in terms of who the protagonist chose to date in the end. The two options were 1. this one cool character who was part of his group for the entire series, had a good personality, and even had the guts to kiss him and 2. childhood friend that was literally brainwashed for 95% of the entire series and has no personality traits other than "is nice." Like, I honestly can't comprehend why the author (and I guess most Japanese readers?) would prefer that outcome.
Yeah, that was my response as well. A pity, Ice Girl was awesome.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just caught up with Akame ga Kill. For some reason I thought I had already finished reading it, but apparently the memories I have of the finale were wrong or mixed with the memories of some other series. For some reason I "remembered" it ending with the imperial palace being some giant teigu, but this doesn't happen so I'm not sure where I'm getting those memories from.

Either way, the series has been pretty consistently entertaining, if not also trashy. It's always had pretty good pacing, with a bunch of stuff happening in every chapter. The author has also been good enough about defying expectations that I'm actually expecting a couple "obvious" things to possibly not happen, namely:
- Akame killing Kurome or both of them killing each other has been more or less stated as an inevitability the entire series, so I won't be surprised if it actually doesn't happen. I figure that Akame will either somehow persuade Kurome (no clue how though) or Akame will purposely give her life in such a way that it changes Kurome's mind. Part of why I'm expecting this is Najenda's "I guess...this is why you call maturing...or so they say" comment, which sort of hints that Tatsumi and Akame's super-pragmatic views/actions may not totally be a good thing and that there may be some way of persuading Kurome that Akame has overlooked after convincing herself that there was no option other than killing her.
- On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Wave will never end up helping the revolutionary army/Night Raid, despite him seemingly being built up as a character that would sympathize with them. I can only see two situations where he does so: 1. Kurome has a change of mind and he follows in her footsteps (really doubtful) or 2. Esdeath blatantly and visibly kills a poo poo ton of civilians during her battle with Tatsumi, revealing that even his beloved commando is crazy and evil (also doubtful seeing as I imagine Wave will be dealt with before Tatsumi fights Esdeath)

As for predictable things that probably will happen, I'm expecting Tatsumi to end up needing to be put down by Akame. Some people seem to be expecting them to kill each other, but I doubt that will happen. I'm also expecting Leone and/or Najenda will die in the next battle, since they're the last two remaining non-core Night Raid members (I guess they'll end up fighting some of the remaining strong enemies, like that Rakshasa. Moreso the former, since the author already had a great opportunity to kill off Najenda and didn't do so. I also predict Esdeath to enjoy it when she finally loses against Tatsumi, which is a shame because it's not an exaggeration to call her "literally Hitler" and she's honestly no better than that clown rapist guy, despite most comments thinking she's good for some bizarre reason.

One other thing I'm curious about is who the supreme commander of the revolutionary army is. Najenda said something about how it would be devestating to lose him/her, but I don't think we've actually seen them yet.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Did you watch the anime?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did you watch the anime?

Ah, apparently I did even though I could have sworn that I didn't, because I also remembered the Wave and Tatsumi teaming up thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New chapter of Rin.

I kinda wish his manga-within-a-manga was real. It's got a neat premise as well.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I'm hoping that magical healing spring isn't just being mentioned now so Tatsumi can use it later. I do like how he's turned out as a protagonist but his character arc's been heading in the way of recklessly overdoing it so it'd be more satisfying if he died or turned into a monster instead of getting off lightly. And Kurome's been through some real poo poo so I want her and Wave to have a happy ending.

Leone's been getting some really cool moments so I'm guessing she'll be next on the chopping block. Najenda's been commanding from the back again so if she goes down I'm betting it'll be in the big finale if both Tatsumi and Akame survive it, or in the epilogue if they don't.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
Funny, I just finished reading chapter 27, where he graduates high school and gets second in the Young Blue Cup. I liked Beck quite a bit despite never finishing it, and it's thanks to this thread that I found out about this manga. I thought it would be a standard manga-about-manga story but it's a lot stranger and better than that. One of the things I really like about this series (and Beck) is that despite the chapters being around 60 pages, it has a breezy, quick pace while still feeling like a lot's happening. I feel like the story about the festival on the island was maybe a little too long, it had some interesting stuff with the shrine and the waterfall and the spirits and whatnot, but I was glad to get back to the manga making. Definitely some compelling stuff, and I look forward to catching up to the newest chapter while also dreading having to wait every month for my fix.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, Tokyo Ghoul has some incredibly slow pacing after the first ~40 chapters or so. I feel like virtually nothing has happened in almost 30 chapters (I'm on chapter 110 or so now). It also has some of the most confusing, difficult to follow fight scenes I've ever seen in a manga. It's a shame, because the basic premise is interesting and I like the art and the main character and some of the supporting cast. I wish they would focus more on the whole moral dilemma of having all these people who must consume humans to survive and how society should deal with them (since even the good ghouls have to resort to stealing the bodies of people who kill themselves and what have you). There needs to be a chapter where Kaneki just sits down and has a long chat with that inspector guy that receives most of the narrative focus. It seems like most humans including the inspectors, are genuinely unaware that not all ghouls murder people. Speaking of that inspector guy. it kind of bugs me how he never seemed to care about the fact that Mado was clearly unhinged and derived enjoyment from "dismantling" ghouls. Like, he notices that the kid with the knives is crazy so it's not like he's totally blind to his fellow inspectors being...unstable.

Dick Spacious
Jun 7, 2014

by zen death robot

Ytlaya posted:

Man, Tokyo Ghoul has some incredibly slow pacing after the first ~40 chapters or so. I feel like virtually nothing has happened in almost 30 chapters (I'm on chapter 110 or so now). It also has some of the most confusing, difficult to follow fight scenes I've ever seen in a manga. It's a shame, because the basic premise is interesting and I like the art and the main character and some of the supporting cast. I wish they would focus more on the whole moral dilemma of having all these people who must consume humans to survive and how society should deal with them (since even the good ghouls have to resort to stealing the bodies of people who kill themselves and what have you). There needs to be a chapter where Kaneki just sits down and has a long chat with that inspector guy that receives most of the narrative focus. It seems like most humans including the inspectors, are genuinely unaware that not all ghouls murder people. Speaking of that inspector guy. it kind of bugs me how he never seemed to care about the fact that Mado was clearly unhinged and derived enjoyment from "dismantling" ghouls. Like, he notices that the kid with the knives is crazy so it's not like he's totally blind to his fellow inspectors being...unstable.

tokyo ghoul had a cool premise and setting, but the author it had no idea how to pace it or what to do with it. i really hate how this story develops these mysteries and questions about characters and then just never answers them. the fight scenes are kind of hard to follow, and i had to read most chapters a few times. once you finish that manga you can start on tokyo ghoul re which is a bit better paced. some of the fight scenes are still hard to follow, and it still has a lot of problems the first series had.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It started off interesting and promising, but somewhere around the "Gourmet" arc the whole thing just jumped the shark like a ballistic missile and blew up into a disgusting, disappointing trainwreck.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Ancient Magus Bride.

This one's a real relaxing, melancholy backstory about Silky. I really like this series for the way it depicts supernatural creatures in places other than Japan.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Takeshi Obata and Tsugumi Ohba (of Bakuman and Death Note fame) are back with a new cutesy series about an angel and a human. Hmm... that sounds familiar. The serious knob got turned up really quickly there :stare: Very similar setup to Death Note, except Ryuk is a naive angel and the mechanics work differently. The main story premise sounds like it should explore some different ideas though.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Can Of Worms posted:

Takeshi Obata and Tsugumi Ohba (of Bakuman and Death Note fame) are back with a new cutesy series about an angel and a human. Hmm... that sounds familiar. The serious knob got turned up really quickly there :stare: Very similar setup to Death Note, except Ryuk is a naive angel and the mechanics work differently. The main story premise sounds like it should explore some different ideas though.

Well :stare: I've got a feeling this will be really interesting if they don't write themselves into a corner again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Was posting this wrongly in the Seinen thread because I forgot what magazine it was in, but Railgun has gotten a few more updates and it's finally doing what looks like its next big/serious arc after a bunch of silly BS chapters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh my god that girl's trouble magnetism puts every other character in this franchise to shame. A text about chopsticks = SECRET MURDER SQUAD ABDUCTION.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Oh my god that girl's trouble magnetism puts every other character in this franchise to shame. A text about chopsticks = SECRET MURDER SQUAD ABDUCTION.

She's not really level 0, she's got a level 2 "Danger Attract" ability and nobody picked up on it in testing.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The new chapter of Yokai Hunter is the loving best poo poo http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/yokai-hunter-r16959

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
http://www.vizmanga.com/view_all/bl?utm_source=EmailDirect.com&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=12222015_FlashSalesSJ+Campaign

Any recommendations? Is Yu Yu Hakasho good? I remember the anime on CN being mediocre.

Cross Manage is really good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I have no opinion on it, but you might get a few bites if you ask in the Hunter x Hunter ("Hiatus x Hiatus") thread.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Skychrono posted:

http://www.vizmanga.com/view_all/bl?utm_source=EmailDirect.com&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=12222015_FlashSalesSJ+Campaign

Any recommendations? Is Yu Yu Hakasho good? I remember the anime on CN being mediocre.

Cross Manage is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPN8MurAG18

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Well, oh.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's one of hte best 90s shounen my man, and it holds out still now. Dunno if the US dub is as epic as ours though.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

It's one of hte best 90s shounen my man, and it holds out still now. Dunno if the US dub is as epic as ours though.

That's good to hear. I take it the manga is good too?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Skychrono posted:

That's good to hear. I take it the manga is good too?

Yu Yu Hakusho is good, yes. The ending is kind of a thing, but up to that point it's considered a shonen classic for good reason.

quote:

It's actually one of the best english dubs of it's time, IMO.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

helck is cool

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Davincie posted:

helck is cool

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Yu Yu Hakusho was my favorite anime when I was growing up. In hindsight, the pacing in the middle was questionable, but it was still good poo poo. The manga's got more ghost content in the beginning, more stuff after the point at which the anime ends, and more of the main character's rude drunken mom getting involved with all the demon stuff.

Kuwabara's the best, he's a big tough guy who loves heavy metal and kittens and he's pretty much always in over his head.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yu Yu Hakusho has an insanely good dub that has both great voice actors/voices AND it's a pretty drat accurate translation.

Also Trigun- another series where I get weird looks for preferring the anime to the manga.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Really? I haven't read the Trigun manga, but I've heard that it goes on too long or goes in a weird direction or something along those lines.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Trigun anime is kinda like a lesser version of FMA 2003. Trigun Maximum, the manga, explains everything better than the anime does, including why the hell everyone is on that lovely planet, what exactly Vash and Knives are, etc.. It's just that, whereas FMA took its "less developed" manga ideas and explained them in a whole new, creative direction, the Trigun anime kinda just didn't really do anything with the concepts.

The anime is still really good, though. It's why I bothered with the manga.

From all I've heard, the YYH anime is better than the manga. Which is fine with me because Yu Yu Hakusho is easily one of my favorite shounen fighting series of all time. The anime is a huge part of my childhood and it holds up much better than DBZ.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 26, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The manga makes better use of the Gung-Ho Guns and has better fights, but otherwise I'd say the anime is superior. Having experienced both the anime is far more emotionally resonant and thematically tied together. The manga also just pulls the drag chute past a certain point and becomes a slog. It's like 14 or 15 volumes when it needed to be around 10 or so.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The issue I had with the Trigun manga is the author is terrible at drawing action scenes so they just turn into a blurry mess and you can't tell what's going on.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, clarity ain't Nightow's strong point.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
He definitely got better at that in Blood Blockade Battlefront while still maintaining his unique style. I only remember pausing once and wondering what the hell I was looking at, as opposed to the multiple times in the few volumes of Trigun I read.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

The manga makes better use of the Gung-Ho Guns and has better fights, but otherwise I'd say the anime is superior. Having experienced both the anime is far more emotionally resonant and thematically tied together. The manga also just pulls the drag chute past a certain point and becomes a slog. It's like 14 or 15 volumes when it needed to be around 10 or so.
I pretty much agree, but they kinda have to shoehorn all of the gung-ho guns in and they chump out for the most part.

Legato was a hell of a lot less interesting in the Manga as well- the way he was handled in the anime especially at the end is one of my favorite scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

NikkolasKing posted:

From all I've heard, the YYH anime is better than the manga. Which is fine with me because Yu Yu Hakusho is easily one of my favorite shounen fighting series of all time. The anime is a huge part of my childhood and it holds up much better than DBZ.

The manga for YYH has a pretty amazing middle, though, and that part holds up very, very well. The beginning spends too much time with Yosuke dead but you mostly only feel that because you already know how the story is going to change. Then after the Toguro fight it kind of wanders around and tries to figure out what it wants to be while sifting through some great ideas it doesn't do much with and also less great ideas it also doesn't do much with. There's one mostly cohesive arc in the manga after the Dark Tournament but even that flickers through a few different ideas of what it wants to be and settles on a bland retread with some great moments. Then the last few volumes happen and it's like the writer just has no idea what he wants to do and can't stick with anything.

So yeah. The start's a little slow, the end wanders around, but the middle is faaaaaantabulous. Haven't seen all of the anime though so I don't know much beyond how they tightened up the start.