Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
I just want a Machamp with the No Guard ability that knows Fissure.... please Nintendo... :mrgw:

EDIT:

Thanks!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Filthy Haiku posted:

It's simply speculation, but red and blue had catastrophic, game breaking glitches that could loving brick your game and i can't see them releasing it in that state. The original games were a marvel of pushing the limits of the game boy. It's also fairly safe to assume that they won't have the standard save state features from virtual console.

Pokemon is absolutely a special case, and if you don't think they're going to put the extra effort into making the game stable you're kidding yourself. A lot of re-releases are heavily modified or completely rebuilt with the intent of making a faithful replica that doesn't melt when it calls a certain number.

Yes, these game-breaking glitches that literal legions of 10-year-olds discovered en masse and had their games bricked, resulting in a sea of tears. Which never happened, because most of those "game-breaking glitches" you'd never encounter playing the game normally. The games function fine as a game. Quirky bugs aside. Yes, Toxic stacked with Leech Seed amid a myriad of other problems, but none of those are literally going to break your game.

Even the famous MissingNo glitch didn't break your game unless you were dumb enough to actually catch the thing, and even if you did, releasing it usually fixed the problem.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pretend I went through that list point by point and said "that's good actually" for each one.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

mabels big day posted:

Gen 1 hyper beam and counter mechanics should be features, not bugs. In future Pokemon installments, I mean.

My dream mega evolution is a mega Tauros with an ability that reverts the game to Gen 1 mechanics whenever it's out. Auto-embargo, Hyper Beam is physical and doesn't have to recharge on kill, earthquake hits levitators, his critical rate becomes like 25% or whatever stupid poo poo it was, etc.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I love that Grimer sprite

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
If you think Nintendo is just going to slap rby into an emulator and sell them for twice as much as any other GB game without severely tidying up the code, when they're teasing new features, after announcing it in a direct I don't know what to tell you.

I had snot faced 11 year old friends who completely wrecked their carts, so I don't know what you're talking about. The more harmful glitches were still easily encounterable. They were acceptable at release back in the day, but to rerelease as a big anniversary event? They're going to fix poo poo.

Filthy Haiku fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 19, 2015

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

You know what we should be talking about? We should be talking about what Pokémon to use to take best advantage of all those broken mechanics.

Bulbasaur might be the best starter to use, since he learns Leech Seed and you can teach him Toxic. Or use one of the other inferior grass/poison types.

Tauros with Hyper beam. Maybe a Gyarados too because Gyarados rules and you can buy Hyper Beam TMs (I think?)

Dragonite with Thunder Wave and Wrap. Dratini starts with these moves. It just ain't fair! He also learns Hyper Beam.

Something with Amnesia to make itself an unkillable god of killing with no effort.

Something fast with a frequent crit move, but not Focus Energy, of course. Maybe a Jolteon and just watch it crit forever. Toss in something with Blizzard too.

And an Alakazam, because Alakazam was the biggest dick and psychic was the best type back then.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride

Silver Falcon posted:

You know what we should be talking about? We should be talking about what Pokémon to use to take best advantage of all those broken mechanics.

Oh yeah definitely; Persian was a critical hit machine, high speed contributed to crit and fast sweepers could rush everything down.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
At best they're gonna fix the stuff that might cause problems for the actual 3DS or stuff that would cause the VC game to flat out stop functioning. But fixing every last bug in there? No way, that would be considered a waste of resources on their part. Some minor bugs slip through in games because people really couldn't be bothered to fix them unless the bug is severe.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Bulbasaur might be the best starter to use, since he learns Leech Seed and you can teach him Toxic. Or use one of the other inferior grass/poison types.

Tauros with Hyper beam. Maybe a Gyarados too because Gyarados rules and you can buy Hyper Beam TMs (I think?)

Dragonite with Thunder Wave and Wrap. Dratini starts with these moves. It just ain't fair! He also learns Hyper Beam.

Something with Amnesia to make itself an unkillable god of killing with no effort.

Something fast with a frequent crit move, but not Focus Energy, of course. Maybe a Jolteon and just watch it crit forever. Toss in something with Blizzard too.

And an Alakazam, because Alakazam was the biggest dick and psychic was the best type back then.

these games are 20 years old it's not like everyone doesn't know the best stuff already

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
Weren't some of the bugs fixed in Yellow? Maybe they will just base some of the code on Yellow and call it a day.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Leech seed + toxic is not as broken as you'd think, as its easy to switch out of and with so many powerful pokemon its better to just hit hard. Dragonite works best with Agility and Wrap instead of thunder wave, as it nullifies the speed loss from paralysis. Gyarados isn't that great because he doesn't get STAB on Hyper Beam, but Tauros is probably the strongest gen 1 Pokemon by itself.

Persian and Jolteon are the best abusers of crits, especially Persian, as Slash will almost always crit. If you want to abuse Amnesia, look no further than Slowbro.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

mabels big day posted:

Leech seed + toxic is not as broken as you'd think, as its easy to switch out of and with so many powerful pokemon its better to just hit hard. Dragonite works best with Agility and Wrap instead of thunder wave, as it nullifies the speed loss from paralysis. Gyarados isn't that great because he doesn't get STAB on Hyper Beam, but Tauros is probably the strongest gen 1 Pokemon by itself.

Persian and Jolteon are the best abusers of crits, especially Persian, as Slash will almost always crit. If you want to abuse Amnesia, look no further than Slowbro.

Does the AI ever switch, though? I think only the Jugglers did with any consistency.

So... best bet for using the game's brokenness against it: Charizard (because why not?), Tauros, Persian, Jolteon, Dragonite, Slowbro?

Interesting team, that. Getting excited here. :D

mandatory lesbian posted:

these games are 20 years old it's not like everyone doesn't know the best stuff already

Aww, don't be a killjoy.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride
Or you could agility too much and roll over to 1 :downs:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Amnesia Golduck was my poo poo back then. I hope the put Stadium on the VC somehow.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I am going to pick Charmander and feel great about using Charizard without dedicated entry hazard backup

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

If they're going to put effort into the R/B rereleases beyond adding the Wifi trading, hopefully they'll add the Super Gameboy colors/borders. I hate that GB Donkey Kong is missing the SGB enhancements.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Does the AI ever switch, though? I think only the Jugglers did with any consistency.

So... best bet for using the game's brokenness against it: Charizard (because why not?), Tauros, Persian, Jolteon, Dragonite, Slowbro?

Interesting team, that. Getting excited here. :D

Aww, don't be a killjoy.

Ah, sorry, I was thinking against other people. Just use OHKO moves + X Accuracy and make sure your mon is faster and you'll never miss.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Silver Falcon posted:

Victreebel is actually the #1 Grass/Poison type in gen I and the only one in OU. It's the top-ranked Grass-type in the game along with Exeggutor and the top-ranked Poison-type along with Gengar.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Joramun posted:

Victreebel is actually the #1 Grass/Poison type in gen I and the only one in OU. It's the top-ranked Grass-type in the game along with Exeggutor and the top-ranked Poison-type along with Gengar.

Victreebel is hella good almost entirely because Razor Leaf is like the sickest move in RBY. 109% crit rate on Victreebel apparently so 110 BP that ignores Amnesia lmao. It's also the reason why you always pick Bulbasaur as your starter, it's good against like every gym leader except Sabrina and Blaine. Oh and because it learns Sleep Powder too which was also broken in that game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Joramun posted:

What, really? I never knew that! I always thought it was just an inferior Venusaur.

Still, Persian > Victreebell especially if you pick Bulbasaur, so I think I'll go with Blue.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Oh god this brings me back to the time I told my charmeleon to use rage against snorlax and just hit the button for like an hour until snorlax finally ran out of pp for rest or whatever.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Persian and Victreebel aren't really similar. Persian is a late game sweeper that can clean up heavily weakened teams. Victreebel is a mixed set up sweeper.

I don't really like Persian. Tauros does pretty much everything Persian does but better. Sure, Slash hits harder than Body Slam but Tauros doesn't get hard walled by Gengar and can actually take hits, which allows it to win a lot of last pokemon standing fights if you can keep it healthy until late game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Oh god this brings me back to the time I told my charmeleon to use rage against snorlax and just hit the button for like an hour until snorlax finally ran out of pp for rest or whatever.

So, fun fact about Gen 1 that picture doesn't mention.

Enemy pokemon don't actually have PP. They can spam their moves forever.

They also have two AI settings, "Use one of the moves I have at random"- most things, or "Always use a move with a typing that will do super-effective damage if possible"- Gym Leaders/E-4

Which is why if you bring a posion type to fight Lance his Dragonite will use Agility forever.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Zore posted:

They also have two AI settings, "Use one of the moves I have at random"- most things, or "Always use a move with a typing that will do super-effective damage if possible"- Gym Leaders/E-4

Which is why if you bring a posion type to fight Lance his Dragonite will use Agility forever.

You're right! I think I had to wait for snorlax to body slam charmelon to death.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Zore posted:

Last time I played Red, it was a Nuzlocke and I was getting worried that I would get Hyper Beamed to death, so I figured I could do Leech Seed and Toxic with my Venusaur to keep regaining life and stall it out. Then Dragonite refused to attack.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Zore posted:

And that's how Twitch Plays Pokemon pulled off the ultimate upset.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I am Reverend posted:

My dream mega evolution is a mega Tauros with an ability that reverts the game to Gen 1 mechanics whenever it's out. Auto-embargo, Hyper Beam is physical and doesn't have to recharge on kill, earthquake hits levitators, his critical rate becomes like 25% or whatever stupid poo poo it was, etc.

There's a fanmade Pokemon game where Porygon gets a move called Glitch Field or something that turns all the game mechanics into Gen I's, which is pretty neat.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

There's a fanmade Pokemon game where Porygon gets a move called Glitch Field or something that turns all the game mechanics into Gen I's, which is pretty neat.

That... that is AMAZING.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lazy_Liberal posted:

this has happened to me as well, though it was on my Articuno that I taught Rage because I thought Rage was a cool move. Anyway the point is I wanted to try the move out and it missed and I was stuck using it forever on a pokemon 30 levels lower than me, completely at the mercy of waiting for it to finally kill me.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You couldn't just reset? :v:

From what I've heard about Super Mystery Dungeon, it sounds good and I'm pretty excited for it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

BlazetheInferno posted:

That... that is AMAZING.

Found it through Google, it's from Pokemon Reborn. It's not all mechanics into Gen I's but it's a decent amount.

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/game/fields.html#24

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

just started playing PSMD and I took the personality test. It put me as Jolly, which I usually end up getting, and in the old games that was Totodile. But this time... it gave me Oshawott, the absolute worst piece of poo poo starter ever made. But I can't back down, I have to respect the test.....

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

mabels big day posted:

Oshawott, the absolute worst piece of poo poo starter ever made

:yikes:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Found it through Google, it's from Pokemon Reborn. It's not all mechanics into Gen I's but it's a decent amount.

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/game/fields.html#24

I get that the ashy beach is supposed to be referencing something, but I can't figure out what.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Somebody tell me if PMD is good and better than Gates to Infinity.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The text seems to scroll much faster than it did in previous PMD games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Nahxela posted:

Somebody tell me if PMD is good and better than Gates to Infinity.

This is greatest game I've ever played already, even if I am oshawott.

• Locked thread