Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

bradzilla posted:

Is this post from the 1800s? Have you ever heard of a dryer?

lol look at this rear end in a top hat trying to lord it over somebody else when you don't even pay Enrique to hand-dry the laundry by the hearth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Clocks posted:

Nowadays I just realize I'm not going to eat that last bit or whatever (don't look at me, it's probably some weird psychological thing)

It isn't just you. I have this same issue too and I have no idea what it is. Logically I know it's probably fine, but I just can't bring myself to eat that last bit of stuff in the container or finish that last sip of drink because I think something is wrong with it. Like all the bad parts have sunk to the bottom or whatever. I don't know.

Someone I know is probably pretty peeved with me over this.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Honestly I always assumed it was out of some guilt with shared things, like you never want to be the one to grab the last slice of pizza/cake/whatever because you don't want your roommate or whoever to think y ou're some kind of glutton. Or if you're my one roommate who used to do that all the time, it's because you proposed an agreement where the last person to take the last (thing) buys the next pack. It was a stupid plan and it would always end in a standoff where we'd have one beer in the refrigerator and neither of us would touch it until one of us finally broke and bought more.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Whistling. Just...just stop it!!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hello everyone around me would you like to hear some shrill and ugly off-key notes with no meaning to anyone except me, ok here we go

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

The fact that my avatar changed. I miss my goose moose. :(

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I hate it when people hover over me. I have one coworker who just has to be part of whatever you're doing, she wanders around during downtime and chats with one person about one subject, then wanders to the next person and chats with them about the same subject, whether they're working on something else or not.

She'll also come over while I'm using free time to study or writing an email and just stand there, watching, or maybe mumble something about how she's been having chicken for dinner a lot lately and isn't that bad for you, chicken all the time? and maybe she should mix it up with one of those websites with all the recipes and OH MY GOD WHY CAN'T YOU SEE I'M BUSY.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I'm a cashier and there's a couple things that absolutely drive me insane. People who make sure to go out of their way to tell you that they're going to a server instead of self-serve because they want to save my job. Do you think this means I should be extra-nice to you? Should I 'forget' to scan something or maybe you just want me to suck your dick because if I lose this job, I can't get anything else ever because I'm just a lowly cashier? gently caress you, I was actually doing something but nope, you want me to scan your nasty instant coffee, two liters of milk and single pack of doritos. I get it if it's a full trolley but that energy drink and pack of starburst you're clearly buying to take in to the movies would have been just as quick or even quicker at self-serve.

A close second is when something doesn't scan, the first words uttered out of the customer's mouth are: "It must be free". :fuckoff:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm working at Target and we have an app where you can scan the barcodes on your items and see if there are any coupons, or you can browse through the current offers and it combines them into one barcode we cashiers can scan. Most people set them up before getting in line but I had someone with two carts of groceries scan every. single. item as she took them out of the cart, slower than I was scanning them. Even other customers were pissed. Luckily her phone died halfway through.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
People who can't grasp the idea that you need to sticker both sides of the document with the patient ID. It's understandable, if irritating, that you don't do it if you're only writing on the front of the page or whatever because yeah, sure, you put the sticker on the bit you're looking at and I guess it's really hard to turn pages if you're trying to hold a whole two stickers. But then there's people who'll happily start writing progress notes or some poo poo when there's clearly no label at the top and just :bang:

Even more mystifying is the midway point of scrawling down the patient's (sur)name and maybe their URN in the ID box and leaving it at that. You obviously understand that there needs to be ID there, but is turning to the front of the very chart you have in your hands and grabbing a sticker too much work? Did you remove the piece of paper from the chart and somehow put it back without ever passing the two pages of stickers at the very literal front? I grasped the art of putting stickers on a space when I was in loving pre-school, I'm sure you can manage it after the better part of a decade spent in tertiary education.

Signatures also don't need to take up three or more lines, but if you do feel the need to pointlessly bloat the already bloat-prone chart maybe put a line through the enormous field of unused space you left like you're also supposed to do? Otherwise some poor idiot might start writing notes only to butt up against your turgid signature at the end of the line and whoops, better cross that out and start over.

I swear to god we get charts weighing like 5kg of pure paper and a good fifth of that is just people (doctors) who can't be don't feel like writing on every line, all the way across the line, and if there's an actual reason for this I'd love to be enlightened. If you're not going to bother writing legibly at least make it compact.

One more week and it'll all be electronic.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Intoluene posted:

I'm a cashier and there's a couple things that absolutely drive me insane. People who make sure to go out of their way to tell you that they're going to a server instead of self-serve because they want to save my job. Do you think this means I should be extra-nice to you? Should I 'forget' to scan something or maybe you just want me to suck your dick because if I lose this job, I can't get anything else ever because I'm just a lowly cashier? gently caress you, I was actually doing something but nope, you want me to scan your nasty instant coffee, two liters of milk and single pack of doritos. I get it if it's a full trolley but that energy drink and pack of starburst you're clearly buying to take in to the movies would have been just as quick or even quicker at self-serve.

A close second is when something doesn't scan, the first words uttered out of the customer's mouth are: "It must be free". :fuckoff:

I always use self serve because I want all cashiers to lose their jobs. It's such a brain numbing task that has you standing in one spot for hours doing a repetitive task. It can't be good for the human mind to do that.

Walking on a treadmill to generate electricity is probably more productive and better for the person.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Fried Watermelon posted:

I always use self serve because I want all cashiers to lose their jobs. It's such a brain numbing task that has you standing in one spot for hours doing a repetitive task. It can't be good for the human mind to do that.

Walking on a treadmill to generate electricity is probably more productive and better for the person.

Welp cashiers will never lose their jobs. It's why there are cashiers who man the self-scans. Things can always go wrong with technology, of course, but then lots of people simple prefer the personal touch or are complete loving morons and need someone guiding them on how to use basic technology that yells instructions at you. Things won't really change for a long while.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Vic Boss posted:

Welp cashiers will never lose their jobs. It's why there are cashiers who man the self-scans. Things can always go wrong with technology, of course, but then lots of people simple prefer the personal touch or are complete loving morons and need someone guiding them on how to use basic technology that yells instructions at you. Things won't really change for a long while.

Also to sort out WIC voucher madness. Sorry, you can buy the 5 pound bag of flour, not the 10 pound bag of flour.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Vic Boss posted:

This is what makes me laugh about the "YOU WANT 15 AN HOUR? MEET YOUR REPLACEMENT! *picture of an ordering kiosk*" articles you see terrible people post of Facebook. Fast food places are ALWAYS going to have one person working a register, except now maybe the 2nd person who helps if things get busy will just be the person who helps when an old person gets confused by the self-order kiosk. That's the same number of people as before.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

El Cid posted:

This is what makes me laugh about the "YOU WANT 15 AN HOUR? MEET YOUR REPLACEMENT! *picture of an ordering kiosk*" articles you see terrible people post of Facebook. Fast food places are ALWAYS going to have one person working a register, except now maybe the 2nd person who helps if things get busy will just be the person who helps when an old person gets confused by the self-order kiosk. That's the same number of people as before.

The supermarket I go to used to have three or four people manning checkouts and another person tidying up baskets and stuff, now they have one person manning a checkout and one person tidying up and watching the self-checkouts in case anyone needs help. I imagine they'll phase out the remaining manned checkout eventually. The layout would need to be changed, but they could even merge the remaining staff member's duties with the deli counter as well.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fried Watermelon posted:

The real toll has actually been on my back and feet. Standing in one spot for three hours at a time with bagging racks set up just a little below what a normal person could actually use without bending over has left my back particularly hosed. That said, it is still mind-numbing as poo poo. The only real change I've seen from self-serve in my store is that there's only one person on 12 item or less lanes rather than two or three. Nothing's really changed when it comes to the manned, full lanes. Maybe less than when we first started but that happened when we went from simple registers that needed a plu for every piece of fruit or vegetable (with handy reference guide on a roller) to faster, touch screen interfaces.

By the way, we hate those people who bring in way more than 12 items in to an express lane just as much as you do.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
People in a line waiting to place an order, and they wait until they get all the way up to the register to go: UMMMMM let me think what I want.

NO. No, you fuckwad, you had 5 minutes to stare at the bright computerized menu, now loving order!

Last time I went out to dinner with my niece and nephew, I told them to decide before we got halfway to the register, and if they weren't sure what they wanted when it was our turn, I would order for them and they got no say. Amazingly they had the choices made.

Doctor offices without wifi. It's 2015, we're paying $200 out of pocket for you to look at a scarred knee and say cool, see you in a month, pony up for some loving wifi!

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Cowslips Warren posted:

People in a line waiting to place an order, and they wait until they get all the way up to the register to go: UMMMMM let me think what I want.

i really envy these people

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
The put in self checkouts at one of the local grocery stores. Less than a year later they took them back out again after they realized how much money they were losing from people putting in things like organic avocados as bananas.

Self checkouts suck because they are way slower at scanning than a real person, there's always some issue with weighing the items, and most people are stupid and should not be allowed to use them. Especially the assholes who take like 50 items. Don't they realize it would be a million times faster for them to just go to the normal checkout? And inevitably every 10th item goes PLEASE WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE and the employee has to come over and put in his code.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Fancy computerized menus on big LCD screens with splashy graphics that keep switching around and taking the actual menu away to show you videos of sweaty tomatoes rolling around on cutting boards.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
Coworkers who are relatively new (like 5 months vs 5 years) but seem to think that they're the only ones who know how to do poo poo we were doing since long before they got here :psyduck: like the little poo poo (who I've been training since he got here, including this very task) who told me that someone needed to go to the back and do a task because he's "the one who usually does it" and he's pretty sure we forgot. Nevermind that it's something we've always done twice weekly, often on days you're not here, I'm sure nobody would've remembered to do it if you hadn't told me. I have no idea what we did before we hired you. Jackass.

Also, people who rub off on me in bad ways. I guess I have nobody to blame for this but myself, really, but I've noticed that when I'm around obnoxious people I become really obnoxious myself. It's like some switch flips in my brain and I go, "oh this person has a really strong personality that I hate, I'd better drown it out with my own."

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nettles Coterie posted:

Also, people who rub off on me in bad ways. I guess I have nobody to blame for this but myself, really, but I've noticed that when I'm around obnoxious people I become really obnoxious myself. It's like some switch flips in my brain and I go, "oh this person has a really strong personality that I hate, I'd better drown it out with my own."

You are not alone in this. There have been times I've made a hell of a fool of myself because of this. :shobon:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Colds. They're the stupidest, most annoying minor sickness I get. It's always the same- my nose is clogged on one side, running like a man on fire on the other side, I feel generally bleh and my throat has a slight but not quiet enough to call it sore soreness to it. And it's impossible to make it go away faster. I just have to wait around until the loving thing is good and ready to gently caress off out of my body. Ugh.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sociopastry posted:

Colds. They're the stupidest, most annoying minor sickness I get. It's always the same- my nose is clogged on one side, running like a man on fire on the other side, I feel generally bleh and my throat has a slight but not quiet enough to call it sore soreness to it. And it's impossible to make it go away faster. I just have to wait around until the loving thing is good and ready to gently caress off out of my body. Ugh.

The worst is that you feel like this, know you're not going to be great at work but you're still considering going anyway because it's just a cold. You've had worse sickness than this. I tend to take 'em off because I work customer service and a sick cashier touching all your food would just be the worst. My manager seems angry when I take it off sick because my nose has repurposed itself to a mucus generation machine.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Intoluene posted:

The worst is that you feel like this, know you're not going to be great at work but you're still considering going anyway because it's just a cold.

People who go to work with colds are the worst. Not only are you sick and suffering, but now everyone else is going to get it. Not just them but any customers who come in, anyone you get too close to if you go out for a lunch break or take public transit. Just loving stay home until it stops spreading, I don't need to get your diseases too.

The worst is when they come in all smug after they get over it "I feel fine guys, geeze it's just a cold" after they spent like a week bitching and moaning about it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think the appropriate person to be mad at in that situation is the manager who will punish people who take sick days. A lot of people have to choose between going to work sick and making people mad and getting their hours cut/getting fired/not being considered for promotion etc. My first job was hourly and I called in once early on to say I was sick and couldn't make it, and the manager said "if you aren't in the hospital, you will either come in on time or we will have you replaced by tomorrow". So I went in and worked a miserable 12 hour shift with a bad cold because I needed the job at the time.

Anyway my latest peeve is people who don't pick up after their dog when it shits on the sidewalk. I can dodge them fine during the day, but at night there's a very much non-zero chance that you'll be washing your shoes off after you get home, unless you walk in the street. There are trash cans all over the place that even supply bags for you to pick it up, it's just being deliberately an rear end in a top hat by leaving it. I guess they don't live on this block so they don't care about keeping it clean. I mean I know it's gross but you shouldn't have bought a dog if you weren't willing to deal with the gross parts of owning an animal.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

Self checkouts suck because they are way slower at scanning than a real person, there's always some issue with weighing the items, and most people are stupid and should not be allowed to use them. Especially the assholes who take like 50 items. Don't they realize it would be a million times faster for them to just go to the normal checkout? And inevitably every 10th item goes PLEASE WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE and the employee has to come over and put in his code.

Most of the self checkout lanes around here are 20 items or less, I assume explicitly for this reason.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
My pet peeve is dickhead drivers.

Not bad drivers, bad drivers are just part of everyday life. I can deal with bad drivers.

No, I mean dickhead drivers. People who sit millimetres from your rear bumper for no real reason. People who wait until the last possible instant to merge, then merge straight into you hoping you'll move over. People who weave in and out of traffic and still end up stopped next to you at the traffic light.

Fortunately I don't encounter them very often, but it annoys the piss out of me when it happens.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
That last one is the most satisfying thing that can happen in a dickhead-driver encounter, short of seeing them disappear into the distance, then ten minutes later driving past them and a police car idling on the side of the road.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

McTube Became Tubest and buckled
Under Google's legal team. Yet another loving app that doesn't allow background play.

Yeah that's fun, knowing that a feature that I mainly used for years just got strong armed by an inferior product.

I just checked. YouTube still doesn't have background play.

Oh yeah I'll totally use your music play service that costs money when I did it for free and was paying for songs I liked, or listen to podcasts by streaming. Guess I have to either download or find some other app.

Annointed has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Nov 23, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Murphy Brownback posted:

Anyway my latest peeve is people who don't pick up after their dog when it shits on the sidewalk. I can dodge them fine during the day, but at night there's a very much non-zero chance that you'll be washing your shoes off after you get home, unless you walk in the street. There are trash cans all over the place that even supply bags for you to pick it up, it's just being deliberately an rear end in a top hat by leaving it. I guess they don't live on this block so they don't care about keeping it clean. I mean I know it's gross but you shouldn't have bought a dog if you weren't willing to deal with the gross parts of owning an animal.

People here pick up after their dog, tie the bag... and then drop it exactly where they found it. :psyduck: I have never seen anyone ever do this, except in Toronto, where it is very common. Also, people here won't get out of their seats on the train/streetcar, so you have to squeeze past them, inevitably rubbing your butt on their face. It doesn't happen anywhere else, but it's so common here they recently wrote an article about it in a local paper.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I've seen people hang bags of dog poo poo from fences and tree branches :psyduck:

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
When you're kicking a can or some other piece of garbage and somebody gives you the stink eye like you're littering

Hey buddy it's not my garbage I just wanted to kick it down the sidewalk for some reason

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Nettles Coterie posted:

Coworkers who are relatively new (like 5 months vs 5 years) but seem to think that they're the only ones who know how to do poo poo we were doing since long before they got here :psyduck: like the little poo poo (who I've been training since he got here, including this very task) who told me that someone needed to go to the back and do a task because he's "the one who usually does it" and he's pretty sure we forgot. Nevermind that it's something we've always done twice weekly, often on days you're not here, I'm sure nobody would've remembered to do it if you hadn't told me. I have no idea what we did before we hired you. Jackass.

I bet you're a baby boomer.

loving millenial being proactive about his job!

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Turn signals. They're supposed to INDICATE what you hope to do, move left or right dependent on traffic conditions. They're not there to flicker once, proclaiming Hey! I just swooshed in front of you with no warning! Does this ticky light work? Oh it does! Best turn it off.

And as for the fucker that decided it'd be a good idea that the rear indicators be the loving brake lights? Irresponsible arse.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

im full of poo poo posted:

When you're kicking a can or some other piece of garbage and somebody gives you the stink eye like you're littering

Hey buddy it's not my garbage I just wanted to kick it down the sidewalk for some reason

Are you one of the Little Rascals

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

teenytinymouse posted:

I've seen people hang bags of dog poo poo from fences and tree branches :psyduck:

I watched a man piss into a plastic shopping bag, tie the top, then toss it into a tree before drunkenly wandering off into the night. A few days later I noticed it was still there, but the bottom was torn out and it was empty.

People can be loving disgusting about bodily fluids.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I watched a man piss into a plastic shopping bag, tie the top, then toss it into a tree before drunkenly wandering off into the night. A few days later I noticed it was still there, but the bottom was torn out and it was empty.

Why didn't he just piss on the ground? :psyduck: like the guy who got off the bus with me at 11am, processed to walk 10 feet, whip it out, and piss on the fence. The bus stop is on a very busy, large street. Guy didn't appear to be drunk, he just gave no fucks.

Peeve: people who piss in public places so they stink everything up; especially, subway stations, bus stop shelters, the train cars. Just go to an alley or some dark corner if you're in a city without alleys. I don't understand why the stairs into the subways smell like piss. Are these people pissing while walking up/down said stairs? Just kidding I know the answer is yes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

He needs to learn the way of the road and switch to jugs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0u6Lb6RCz4

Anyway I agree about the public pissers, it's the worst part of big cities. There's one particular elevator I used to take most days that always reeked of piss. Who pisses in an elevator? Why do they seemingly come back to top it off almost every single day?

e: vvv The funny part is guys like that tend to be the ones who get the management positions - they are ineffective at the first job they get hired for but can act bossy enough and recite enough buzzwords that the company keeps them around by continually promoting them.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 09:39 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

bradzilla posted:

I bet you're a baby boomer.

loving millenial being proactive about his job!

What. I'm not sure where you got "being proactive" from that, but I assure you that's not what is happening here.

I don't need to be told when/how to do something, by someone who I literally taught when/how to do that very thing. I'm only in my mid-20s, but this kid is barely 18, this is his first job (idk why we even hired him) and he literally spends more time and effort "reminding" other people to do things, than he spends actually doing poo poo that he's actually supposed to be doing. Like, we have a team of 40 people, we ALL regularly work shifts where we have to do this poo poo, but somehow he thinks he's the only one who remembers when it needs to get done. Management has had to tell him on a regular basis not to be such an obnoxious gently caress, and it never seems to stick for more than a day or two.

Like, if he was doing poo poo that nobody else was willing to do, or if he was looking for new/better ways of doing things, that would be great. But he will literally spend a whole shift avoiding/complaining about the work he's supposed to be doing, while telling the rest of us how to do poo poo we've already been working on all day.