Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Battle for Bunker Hill question: this quest feels really awkward, so awkward that I'm not sure I'm doing it right or my game's broken or something. I want to side with the railroad so I shoot the courser, then the brotherhood attacks (even though I didn't mention bunker hill to them) so the synths, railroad and brotherhood duke it out and just ignore me. Which is fine, except I can kill any of them with impunity and they never, ever turn hostile. The only things in the entire mission that showed up as hostile were a deathclaw that randomly decided to come in to tear poo poo up, and, for whatever reason, the railroad turrets in the underground area. Is this how the mission's meant to play? It feels so, so bugged. Like even more than the rest of the game.

not really a spoiler for anything but just in case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Synthetically-augmented humans are already established in the setting. Is having a "reveal" a bad thing?

Not intrinsically, no. I think my problem is that I feel like there's a twist pile-up where there could just be one, more impactful twist.

Right now we have: Kellogg is a cyborg, but that's established as no big deal, and it looks like he kidnapped your son a few years before you woke up! This at least meshes well with reports you get around Diamond City of people having recently seen Kellogg with a kid. Psych! He was actually well over 100 years old and he kidnapped Shaun 60 years ago, and that kid people saw him around Diamond City with was a synth replica. Instead, your real kid is leading the Institute!

It comes across as too many fakeouts for one twist. Having him be a ghoul or replaced by a synth would take away one fakeout and I think reduce the "twist pile-up" effect. Sure, he still faked you out by being in Diamond City with a synth replica of your son, but at least now you don't also have to explain why he lived so long: you just know that he's a ghoul, so of course he lives that long, or he was replaced by a synth, so he actually didn't live that long. It's not like there's something inherently bad with the way it's done, it just feels like there are too many balls in the air and that one of the "reveals" could've been done in a subtler, and I think probably more effective, way.

MisterBibs posted:

Um, might want to click the black bars in my post, because you seem to have forgotten that Kellog is the dude who stole your son and shot your spouse. If you're not [shoot man]ing that person in the story, the story has failed at providing what's required.

You have some very rigid ideas about what makes a good story. While I enjoyed the opportunity to deliver an action movie one-liner before shooting him, I think I would have found it more moving and dramatic if he was already dead and I could never have my vengeance. That seems much more dramatically compelling to me than a straightforward revenge story.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
How much extra damage does a power melee attack do?

Also, I have level 2 ninja, the perk that gives x5 sneak melee damage, and it works for things like knifes but when using a sledge hammer it changes to x4 melee damage??

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Harrow posted:

You have some very rigid ideas about what makes a good story. While I enjoyed the opportunity to deliver an action movie one-liner before shooting him, I think I would have found it more moving and dramatic if he was already dead and I could never have my vengeance. That seems much more dramatically compelling to me than a straightforward revenge story.

no don't you get it, complex stories and interesting writing were simply a product of days bygone. modern games have evolved to no longer need any of that because we can just shoot mans instead.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Comments say the journal explains why the stuff is up there but the video didn't look at it so I can only wonder what it says. :v:

I bet it's probably someone complaining that they could get out of this building if only they knew how to break into the safe, haha.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
tbh at this point playing fallout 4 only makes me want to play new vegas more

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Almost ditto.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sperglord Firecock posted:

:yeah:

If someone just wholesale ported New Vegas into a Fallout 4 mod so I could play with the better gunplay I'd be thrilled.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, just imagine what Big MT would look like in Fallout 4 graphics...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm glad FO4's it's own thing, I'm greatly enjoying it.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Man, the Prydwen flying in was one of the most epic scenes in any game.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Covenant: What happens if you select catcher for question 4, the baseball position?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RBA Starblade posted:

When I just forget about the main story, same.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm also really enjoying Fallout 4--it in no way disappointed me, because the only ways in which it falls short of New Vegas are the ways I knew that it would because Bethesda has different priorities than Obsidian.

Fallout 4's release and reception has taught me that what I think a good Fallout game should be is pretty vastly different from what most people think, though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sorry if this has been discussed or mentioned before (this thread is loving long) but can you do a passive play through without having to kill anybody or anything in FO4 like you could in New Vegas? I'm still on my first play through but I'm considering going full passive on my second run but if you're forced to kill at certain points in the game then I wont even bother going that route.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

I'm also really enjoying Fallout 4--it in no way disappointed me, because the only ways in which it falls short of New Vegas are the ways I knew that it would because Bethesda has different priorities than Obsidian.

Fallout 4's release and reception has taught me that what I think a good Fallout game should be is pretty vastly different from what most people think, though.

Game is pretty much normal fallout to me. Lol if you didn't just run to the enclave base in fallout 2 to get power armor in the first hour.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

AndyElusive posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed or mentioned before (this thread is loving long) but can you do a passive play through without having to kill anybody or anything in FO4 like you could in New Vegas? I'm still on my first play through but I'm considering going full passive on my second run but if you're forced to kill at certain points in the game then I wont even bother going that route.

You're forced to kill. I'm pretty sure at least. I got to a part of the story where I didn't see a way to avoid a violent confrontation.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 19, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Iceshade posted:

Covenant: What happens if you select catcher for question 4, the baseball position?

gooncamp

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

AndyElusive posted:

Nope, there is no peaceful option. Deacon explains it best for the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

You definitely can't do a pacifist playthrough. The best you can hope for is using high-ranking Charisma perks to make NPC enemies kill each other for you, but that's not very reliable. There are several villains that you absolutely have to fight and other scenarios that mean you definitely have to kill people.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Iceshade posted:

I actually chose that, and the guy said something like "Hmmmm, really? Very interesting." which he didn't do to any of the other answers. I thought it was a bit weird at the time, but didn't really pay it much mind.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

If I wanted to feel :smith: about a story, I'd mosey over to a creepypasta website and read some edgelord's attempt to make me depressed because that's so much more dramatic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

If I wanted to feel :smith: about a story, I'd mosey over to a creepypasta website and read some edgelord's attempt to make me depressed because that's so much more dramatic.

I don't think you know what creepypasta is.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ShadowMar posted:

no don't you get it, complex stories and interesting writing were simply a product of days bygone. modern games have evolved to no longer need any of that because we can just shoot mans instead.

there are plenty of modern games with interesting writing and complex stories, but i don't know why the hell you would expect that in a bethesda game

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Harrow posted:

to be fair he didn't understand how iron sights worked in a video game either so you probably gotta explain it to him

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

So, how do you turn in quests to dudes you've already befriended? Got a couple hanging out in my log but whenever I talk to the dudes I only get the option to join up with them or not.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Earwicker posted:

there are plenty of modern games with interesting writing and complex stories, but i don't know why the hell you would expect that in a bethesda game

(he's making fun of MisterBibs)

Also "you shouldn't expect X from Bethesda" isn't really an effective shield from criticism. If they're going to try to have some sort of emotionally-affecting story about family and loss (which there are shades of in Fallout 4), it's fair to critique them on how they did and did not pull that off. (They mostly didn't.)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Earwicker posted:

I expected that to degree, explain why melee combat is so lovely in the game?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Harrow posted:

(he's making fun of MisterBibs)

Also "you shouldn't expect X from Bethesda" isn't really an effective shield from criticism. If they're going to try to have some sort of emotionally-affecting story about family and loss (which there are shades of in Fallout 4), it's fair to critique them on how they did and did not pull that off. (They mostly didn't.)

I'm not sure how what I said can be taken as some sort of "shield from criticism". I'm saying that Bethesda is bad at writing stories, especially when it comes to the "main plot" in most of their open world games. That is criticism.

IMO they should leave off on any kind of character background you are supposed to "care" about altogether. It just doesn't work with this kind of game, because for most players it's all about freedom. It works best when you are just some anonymous person with no past.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Cog posted:

I came to think of something. At Covenant, during the SAFE test, they ask you which baseball position you would prefer and the holotapes in the compound mention that there is something weird about synths and baseball, in that they all answer the same on that question. If you listen to one of the torture tapes, the subject answers that he would be a Catcher. Well, in the beginning of the game, if you play as the male character, it seems he wants Shaun to become a catcher when he grows up, and even has a baseball glove near his bed. Since all the synths are based off of Shaun, they all also want to be catchers.

I wonder if there are any more subtle hints like this. Not that you'd figure it out before you get it explained to you later anyway, though.

Oh poo poo.

I really love things like this. I was wondering what the deal was with the catcher being a bad response.

Harrow posted:

This would be a great twist. I feel like Bethesda is too afraid of making a mistake with their AAA huge budget game to take a risk like that though (what if a bunch of gamers are pissed that they can't get their cathartic revenge?!)

Which leads to dumbed down story we all like to bitch about... realistically I bet you the story as is is too confused/complicated for a good chunk of the audience so.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

I actually chose that, and the guy said something like "Hmmmm, really? Very interesting." which he didn't do to any of the other answers. I thought it was a bit weird at the time, but didn't really pay it much mind.

I wonder if you sleep in their town, they kidnap you and put you in a cell in the Compound. Maybe they do! Need to test this out.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If another studio is hired for the next Fallout or TES game, I'd like to see someone other than Obsidian do it tbh. They are :words: incarnate, and their latest game, PoE, didn't really impress me that much with the writing. Also, some of the writing and scenarios in New Vegas was really dumb/wacky or cringeworthy, like the Boomers or the Dr Kleiners "monologue" in the Think Tank DLC.

I'm sure another studio could do just as good of a job, if not better.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Earwicker posted:

I saw a mudcrab the other day. Dreadful creatures.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

If another studio is hired for the next Fallout or TES game, I'd like to see someone other than Obsidian do it tbh. They are :words: incarnate, and their latest game, PoE, didn't really impress me that much with the writing. Also, some of the writing and scenarios in New Vegas was really dumb/wacky or cringeworthy, like the Boomers or the Dr Kleiners "monologue" in the Think Tank DLC.

I'm sure another studio could do just as good of a job, if not better.
The other candidates are already busy with Dishonored 2 and The New Order 2 and I'm not sure trying to work in this loving engine is an undertaking they're willing to put in, despite their technical expertise.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Earwicker posted:

I'm not sure how what I said can be taken as some sort of "shield from criticism". I'm saying that Bethesda is bad at writing stories, especially when it comes to the "main plot" in most of their open world games. That is criticism.

IMO they should leave off on any kind of character background you are supposed to "care" about altogether. It just doesn't work with this kind of game, because for most players it's all about freedom. It works best when you are just some anonymous person with no past.

That's fair. A lot of people use that "nobody plays Bethesda games for X" thing as a shield, so I knee-jerked. But you're 100% right.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Nail Rat posted:

powdered deer penis

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

I was lazy and didn't feel like citing the specific website I'd go for creepypasta (SCP), which has tons of depression-as-drama stuff as well as supposed-creepy stuff.

Point is, I'm not playing a game like Fallout to not get revenge for the things that happen at the beginning of the game. No fade to black over sobbing, no dark resignation to a fate of having to fight in the Blood War, none of that poo poo.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 19, 2015

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Generic Monk posted:

Battle for Bunker Hill question: this quest feels really awkward, so awkward that I'm not sure I'm doing it right or my game's broken or something. I want to side with the railroad so I shoot the courser, then the brotherhood attacks (even though I didn't mention bunker hill to them) so the synths, railroad and brotherhood duke it out and just ignore me. Which is fine, except I can kill any of them with impunity and they never, ever turn hostile. The only things in the entire mission that showed up as hostile were a deathclaw that randomly decided to come in to tear poo poo up, and, for whatever reason, the railroad turrets in the underground area. Is this how the mission's meant to play? It feels so, so bugged. Like even more than the rest of the game.

That's exactly how it went for me. I don't know what's up with that quest, it's super weird because you still have a quest marker telling you to deal with the synths, but you can literally just kill the courser then mosey on back to CIT to have a chat with Dadderson, and going down into the railroad's safe house just means you have to deal with hostile turrets and the synths don't even react beyond simply saying "thanks for saving us". Even killing the Brotherhood forces attacking Bunker Hill won't turn the faction permanently hostile.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Generic Monk posted:

the quest is working as intended. it feels like the intent with this quest is that you'd be hostile with at least one faction by this point but if you aren't it just comes across as hilariously busted. for me it was busted anyway, because a bunch of naked, invulnerable caravan guards got into the mix and killed everybody with their bare hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nail Rat posted:

They make me wish for a nuclear winter.

• Locked thread