Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We should give the syrians under 12 free state sponsored education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

WampaLord posted:

I would just keep quoting the "Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses" quote from the Statue of Liberty over and over.

Remember when people got mad about the Coke ad during the Super Bowl with people from around the world singing America the Beautiful?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum, I noticed a lot of D's that I tend to respect (like Lloyd Doggett) voted for the House bill today. What was it attached to to make it palatable for Democrats or was there something else?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

zoux posted:

That's a dead link.

Also I don't think that the number of Syrian refugees is a strong argument, it only takes one person to commit an act of terror that kills dozens or more. I think the stronger argument is one of American (espoused) values and the warnings of history.

Besides I think every one knows the REAL reason libtards care about this poo poo:

Looks like the link was truncated when he was copying it:

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/09/stretching-facts-on-syrian-refugees/

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Another one based off of UNHCR mid year report found here:
http://www.unhcr.org/54aa91d89.html

The top countries vs the United States.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

LeoMarr posted:

We should give the syrians under 12 free state sponsored education.
Here's an idea to give the Republicans pause: let's go full Service Equals Citizenship

All children are enrolled in schools on an ROTC track, and enrolling in the branch of their choice at age 18 is a precondition of their becoming a refugee. For refugees without children, any uninjured males of age must enroll.

I think I can get Lindsay Graham to cosponsor

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Joementum, I noticed a lot of D's that I tend to respect (like Lloyd Doggett) voted for the House bill today. What was it attached to to make it palatable for Democrats or was there something else?

It basically just added a bunch of additional checks on incoming refugees, like having the heads of the FBI/DHS individually sign off on them. So it would slow the process to a crawl and effectively halt it, but it's not as extreme as the proposals Republicans are still batting around to outright refuse refugees.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

It basically just added a bunch of additional checks on incoming refugees, like having the heads of the FBI/DHS individually sign off on them. So it would slow the process to a crawl and effectively halt it, but it's not as extreme as the proposals Republicans are still batting around to outright refuse refugees.

Seems like that would be a dead-on party line vote. I guess a lot of offices got a lot of phone calls.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Joementum posted:

Remember when people got mad about the Coke ad during the Super Bowl with people from around the world singing America the Beautiful?

This happened? I took a break from D&D for a while (and also didn't watch the Super Bowl).

What in the gently caress could they be mad about? Were there not-white people singing it?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

This happened? I took a break from D&D for a while (and also didn't watch the Super Bowl).

What in the gently caress could they be mad about? Were there not-white people singing it?

Do you even have to ask?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

WampaLord posted:

People were singing it in foreign-talk.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

They also sung it in languages other than American. :911:

efb.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JT Jag posted:

People were singing it in foreign-talk.

http://time.com/3773/coca-colas-its-beautiful-super-bowl-ad-brings-out-some-ugly-americans/

Of loving course. By the way, very nice ad.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

WampaLord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiMMpFcy-HU

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/09/coca-cola-super-bowl-ad-america-diversity

quote:

Glenn Beck, once Fox's foremost firebreather, understood the ad as a provocation. "'Why did you need that to divide us politically?' Because that's all this ad is. It's in your face, and... if you're offended by it, you're a racist. If you do like it... You're for progress."

And so on.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ben Carson, on the Syrian refugees:

Ben Carson posted:

If there’s a rabid dog running around your neighborhood you’re probably not gonna assume something good about that dog, and you’re probably gonna put your children out of the way… I’m gonna call the humane society. Hopefully they can come and take this dog away and create a safe environment once again.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Man, it's gonna suck having republicans running the House, Senate and presidency.

Hopefully it'll only take another eight years before we get some democratic leeway into the legislative and executive branches.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

Uh when is the last time you looked into the legal industry.

Future Ted Cruz whoever pulled the prank though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Same, Lisa. Same.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Man, it's gonna suck having republicans running the House, Senate and presidency.

Hopefully it'll only take another eight years before we get some democratic leeway into the legislative and executive branches.
You say this as though Americans will actually remember Paris a year from now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It's gonna be a lovely couple months, but if Christmas doesn't drive the attacks from the news cycle the NCAA Playoffs/Super Bowl definitely will

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

Besides I think every one knows the REAL reason libtards care about this poo poo:

He was commenting on a rather noxious gawker article, so yeah, he's right

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The US response to this has been straining my sobriety, good lord

If anybody here is a scotch man/woman please calm yourself with a stiff double on my behalf

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

If you're like me, in addition to having a huge dick you are also terribly dismayed by the reaction to the Paris attacks and the Islamophobic rhetoric oneupsmanship. This was making the rounds yesterday, it's a Parisian father talking to his son about the attacks, and I found it especially heartwarming and in direct contrast to the hatespeech we've been listening to the last few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwBcYMaz0Jg

As always, don't read the comments. :smith:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

zoux posted:

Seems like that would be a dead-on party line vote. I guess a lot of offices got a lot of phone calls.

That's pretty much it. The blue dogs are an endangered species in politics and they are scared shitless that Joe McBigot in Buttfuck, USA will vote them out of office if they vote no on protecting are country.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fox Ironic posted:

That much is true. If anything, the number is much higher. :smith:

It's 50% less than it was in 2009 tho

quote:

The most striking long-term plunge, though, has occurred among one specific segment of the homeless population: veterans. Homelessness among veterans declined by 35%, and over a shorter span of time — between 2009 and 2015. The number of unsheltered homeless veterans across the nation has plummeted by 50% in the past four years.

http://mic.com/articles/128837/in-4-years-obama-cut-the-number-of-homeless-veterans-on-the-streets-by-50-here-s-how#.sUtMlc8Gk

Also includes an interview with future really important person and current HUD head, Julian Castro.

EDIT: The House has proposed cutting 1.4 billion from the VA

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 19, 2015

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

JT Jag posted:

The Jaguars winning last week is probably the only thing that kept me from going into a massive depressive spiral. Hopefully the fascade can continue tonight!

lol ur doomed

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Get ready to hear all about NATIONAL SECURITY and ECONOMY over and over again for the next year, my friend.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Best (or worst) part of that:
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/02/03/native-language-spotlighted-during-coca-cola-super-bowl-ad-153398

quote:

Languages featured in the Coca-Cola ad were English, Spanish, Tagalog, Hebrew, Hindi, Keres, and Senegalese-French.

Keres is a language spoken by the Pueblo people and is also known as Keresan. The language is spoken by nearly 11,000 people in the American Southwest today.

Many Native American languages are endangered and some tribes are working to preserve them. According to Native-Languages.org, Navajo is spoken by some 150,000 people.
--
A young woman named Christy provided the singing in Keres for the commercial. “Translating the words to ‘America the Beautiful’ was difficult because Keres is not a written language, so we had to go back to our elders to help translate,” Christy said in a video from Coca-Cola. “I’m representing America, I’m representing my home. It just feels like I’m doing a good thing.”
One of the languages was the most American you can get.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This ad was loving genius because prior to it, Coca Cola was in the news for sponsoring the Sochi Olympic Games despite calls from LGBT activists to boycott Russia's horrific anti-gay policies. After the ad aired and Twitter blew up with racists being angry at Coke, the national dialogue did a complete 180.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

JT Jag posted:

Here's an idea to give the Republicans pause: let's go full Service Equals Citizenship

All children are enrolled in schools on an ROTC track, and enrolling in the branch of their choice at age 18 is a precondition of their becoming a refugee. For refugees without children, any uninjured males of age must enroll.

I think I can get Lindsay Graham to cosponsor

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

so here's your list of Republican Legislative Ideas to Solve a Totally Not Real Problem

Rep. Mike McCaul (R-Tex.): The American Security Against Foreign Enemies Act of 2015
The official vehicle of the House Republicans, which would add new layers to refugee background checks. Among them are "a thorough background investigation" by the FBI, an analysis by the Department of Homeland Security, and a monthly report on who's been let in. The refugees covered include anyone who "has been present in Iraq or Syria at any time on or after March 1, 2011."

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.): The Terrorist Refugee Infiltration Prevention Act of 2015
Introduced Wednesday night, Cruz's bill is written to block any refugee who is "a national of, has habitually resided in, or is claiming refugee status due to events in" a country with substantial territory controlled "by a Foreign Terrorist Organization, as designated by the State Department." Cruz's much-criticized (but potentially popular) exception for Christians is intended to be covered by a line allowing a refugee to enter the United States if he "is a member of a group that has been designated by the Secretary of State or by an Act of Congress as a victim of genocide."

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.): an amendment to the Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development Appropriations Act
Rolled out Monday — before Cruz's bill, as Paul's team would be first to point out — this bill would prohibit any funds being used to "provide or administer assistance to aliens admitted" from any of the following nations: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Morocco, Nigeria, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Yemen, and "the Palestinian Territories."

Sen. David Vitter (R-La.): The Syrian Refugee Verification and Safety Act of 2015
Vitter, who has been lagging far behind in his race for governor of Louisiana, quickly seized on the issue of refugee resettlement and pledged to stop it if elected. (There are serious legal questions about whether that's even possible). His bill would "suspend the admission and resettlement of aliens seeking refugee status because of the conflict in Syria until adequate protocols are established to protect the national security of the United States." Unlike Paul, Vitter does not delineate the countries affected; unlike Cruz, he does not provide an exception for any specific group of people. And while the legislation establishes a multi-stage process by which the Obama administration could prove that it is vetting refugees, it would subject its proof to a congressional disapproval vote. Vitter also asks for "the identity of the aliens admitted to the United States as refugees since 2001 who subsequently engaged in criminal or terrorist conduct."

Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.): The Give States a Chance Act of 2015
A short attempt to fix the potential legal issues with the mass revolt of governors against refugee resettlement; it would "authorize the Governor of any State in which it is proposed to place or resettle a Syrian refugee to refuse such placement or resettlement if the Governor makes certain certifications."

Rep. Brian Babin (R-Tex.): The Refugee Resettlement Accountability National Security Act of 2015
The Texas freshman's legislation predates the current panic by four months, and would prevent the admission of any "alien under section 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1157) until such time as Congress passes a joint resolution giving the Secretary authority to resume admitting aliens under such section." As Babin has said since this weekend, his bill would fully halt any new refugees arriving from Iraq and Syria — a position he is ready to defend against anyone.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/11/19/a-quick-guide-to-the-gop-bills-that-would-bar-middle-east-refugees/

they are all terrible and poo poo, but mcauls is the least insane. cruz, pauls and vitters a loving terrible, espcialy the first 2. But rand's is the most surprising, he is basicaly just blocking refugges and refugee funds to all Muslim countries except russia and NK.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

The US response to this has been straining my sobriety, good lord

If anybody here is a scotch man/woman please calm yourself with a stiff double on my behalf

I'm on Thanksgiving vacation starting tonight - I'll down one for you. (And another for me, since this poo poo is that horrible and scotch is good.)

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: The House has proposed cutting 1.4 billion from the VA

Also, you got an article for that? I've got some people on my Facebook feed that need their noses rubbed in it.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
They should take Cruz's bill and have Kerry designated all the people fleeing Syria as genocide victims.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

JT Jag posted:

I think I've stumbled upon an argument that makes the refugee panickers think twice if nothing else.

The "America is a nation of immigrants argument." Specifically, the "we have seen all of this before and we will see it again" strain.

"This is a country where the Irish were denigrated as drunkards and feared for their secret loyalty to the Pope, where the Chinese were hated for stealing good honest jobs, where the Japanese were loathed and kept in internment camps. Now these people are productive parts of American society. The Syrian refugees would be no different. The American melting pot is undefeated."

The Chinese angle is particularly valid, because the Chinese Exclusion Act was ridiculously over-the-top and stayed on the books for sixty goddamn years.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm on Thanksgiving vacation starting tonight - I'll down one for you. (And another for me, since this poo poo is that horrible and scotch is good.)

Also, you got an article for that? I've got some people on my Facebook feed that need their noses rubbed in it.

:hf:

I've been using this to shut them up because it combines an actual person calling them shitbird cowards AND points out that Obama has curbed veteran homelessness more than any -R ever has

Some people won't budge but after all this I'm happy to keep tossing eggs all over their hate parade at this point, hail satan

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dear god the new Ipsos/Reuters post Paris poll .

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hahahaha

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/11/18/new_trump_ad_i_will_quickly_and_decisively_bomb_the_hell_out_of_isis.html

"Donald Trump" posted:

The tragic attacks in Paris prove once again that America needs to get tough on radical Islamic terrorism. President Obama and other politicans have consistantly failed us. Just hours before the attacks in Paris, President Obama said ISIS had been contained. It is amazing that the United States could have a president who is so out of touch. It is also dangerous. Obama has no strategy to defeat ISIS and now he is preparing to let hundreds of thousands of refugees from Syria into the United States. I will stop illegal immigration. We will build a wall on the southern border, and yes, I will also quickly and decisively bomb the hell out of ISIS. We'll make the military so strong, no one and I mean no one, will mess with us. If I win, we will not have to listen to the politicans who are losing the war on terrorism, we will make America safe, and we will make America great again.

GO GO POPULIST MESSAGE

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

quote:

VA Secretary Bob McDonald on Tuesday blasted a $1.4 billion shortfall in the House's budget proposal for fiscal 2016 as "inadequate" to maintain his department's reform and outreach efforts.

"It will cause veterans to suffer," he told members of the Senate Appropriations Committee. "It means fewer veterans will get care."

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/veterans/2015/04/21/va-pushback-house-budget/26136093/

From April.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
For anyone who is interested: BLM Minneapolis is planning a protest at the precinct for 5pm today and national some NAACP people will be attending. Probably going to get some good speeches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Like seriously if he maintains his poll numbers is it possible we could see Trump as a presidential nominee because seriously when is he going to crash and burn.

• Locked thread