Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Internet Kraken posted:

Does she die off screen or can I watch her heartburst from jet overdose in real time?

Real time, my man. She ragdolls and grunts right in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought terrible accent drug addict chair lady was THE source of the main plot storyline so I gave her chems a few times. Can I actually just not give her any drugs and let her sit in her happy chair?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Baronjutter posted:

I thought terrible accent drug addict chair lady was THE source of the main plot storyline so I gave her chems a few times. Can I actually just not give her any drugs and let her sit in her happy chair?

You can do the sane thing and assume the drug addict that gives incredibly vague advice does not actually have magic powers, yes.

I think next game I'm gonna put her happy chair right at the entrance of Sanctuary so she can serve as a distraction against invaders.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

You can even make her quit the chems. If you do, she'll walk around (or sit there) constantly saying, "Mama Murphy's as good as her word. No more chems. And no more Sight, neither."

I regret it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronjutter posted:

She's a source of hints, I guess just in case following arrows and mashing X proves too difficult for the player to figure out. From what I can gather there's a way to talk her out of her drug addiction, but then you have to hear her voice on a regular basis.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

Oh, you mean the category that's specifically labeled "special" that typically doesn't exist, shows up for the quest, and isn't grouped with the rest of the chairs, you loving imbecile?

You seem upset

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Aliens

So I've heard there is a crashed space ship in the game you can find to get the alien blaster, I don't want to be told where it is for my own RP boner but are there like any hints in the game itself that you can come across that can hint where it is?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Aliens

So I've heard there is a crashed space ship in the game you can find to get the alien blaster, I don't want to be told where it is for my own RP boner but are there like any hints in the game itself that you can come across that can hint where it is?

You'll see it fly overhead as it crashes, but it doesn't do a great job of indicating exactly where it crashes.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So having played this a bit i'm going with the Institute being the best ending.

So you reunite with your son in the only faction that's actually capable of rebuilding the wasteland without enslaving it or letting parts of it descend into lawless anarchy, you can possibly get the director to admit the Institute has hosed up a lot in recent times and needs to do better, and are offered a chance to fix it as their director?

About the only downside is that Synths remain slaves. Though every faction has some tremendous downside associated with them. The Brotherhood would eventually turn everyone into slaves and exterminate non-humans, if what's implied about Rivet City and the other population centers with technology in the Capital Wasteland are true.

Given how many named NPC's there are and how much you can do with Shaun it really feels like the intended ending. Or at least the one that had the most time put into it. poo poo, their location is basically about the size of Diamond City.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 19, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If you guys arnt trapping your settlers in boxes with scavenging tables, you arnt playing the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Archonex posted:

So you reunite with your son in the only faction that's actually capable of rebuilding the wasteland without enslaving it or letting parts of it descend into lawless anarchy, can possibly get him to admit the Institute has hosed up a lot in recent times, and are offered a chance to fix it as their director?

About the only downside is that Synths remain slaves. Though every faction has some tremendous downside associated with them. The Brotherhood would eventually turn everyone into slaves and exterminate non-humans, if what's implied about Rivet City and the other population centers with technology in the Capital Wasteland are true.

Given how many named NPC's and how much you can do with Shaun it really feels like the intended ending. Or at least the one that had the most time put into it. poo poo, their location is basically about the size of Diamond City.

Endings mean nothing, after you finish the game no one does anything else forever.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tenzarin posted:

Endings mean nothing, after you finish the game no one does anything else forever.

I figure they're going to go for a "this expansion extends the story!" sort of deal like they did with Fallout 3.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I never played the FO3 expansion, is it worth it?

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

BadLlama posted:

I never played the FO3 expansion, is it worth it?
The best part about it is that it lets you play after the ending.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Archonex posted:

So you reunite with your son in the only faction that's actually capable of rebuilding the wasteland without enslaving it or letting parts of it descend into lawless anarchy, you can possibly get the director to admit the Institute has hosed up a lot in recent times and needs to do better, and are offered a chance to fix it as their director?

Given how many named NPC's there are and how much you can do with Shaun it really feels like the intended ending. Or at least the one that had the most time put into it. poo poo, their location is basically about the size of Diamond City.

Eh, I didn't think there was much of a downside associated with the Railroad or the Minutemen Some evil scientists who deserve to die get blown up, some evil knights who deserve to die get blown up, life goes on for everyone else.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

gullah jack posted:

The best part about it is that it lets you play after the ending.

Explain how the aliens furthered the plot? I only played base fo3.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Tenzarin posted:

There's more than one expansion to Fallout 3. You're talking about Mothership Zeta, he's talking about Broken Steel.

As far as I know Broken Steel is the only one that definitely takes place after the main storyline ends. The other ones I think can be triggered whenever and are side stories.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Tenzarin posted:

Mothership Zeta was a horrible piece of poo poo that did nothing for the plot at all. It was really only good for getting an insane amount of poo poo at low levels. Anyway, I was talking about Broken Steel.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

broken steel was cool because it added a bunch of actual post-game content in the world which helped sell the postgame world+consequences of your action (singular bc its just kill everyone and not have it available or go into that world)
i was really hoping the fo4 postgame would do justice to the postgame to that degree at the very least but it never really happened

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Eh, I didn't think there was much of a downside associated with the Railroad or the Minutemen Some evil scientists who deserve to die get blown up, some evil knights who deserve to die get blown up, life goes on for everyone else.

On the other hand The railroad are explicitly ignoring the issues with the Commonwealth. Which include groups of raiders (some who are former Minutemen) literally cannibalizing, torturing, and even displaying the corpses of their kills on poles. Never mind all the other horrible poo poo trying to kill everyone living there. They only give a poo poo about Synths. Siding with them might help free Synths, but it's going to do poo poo all for the Commonwealth outside of ensuring that any future experiments don't accidentally get set loose after scientists in the Institute screw up. Hell, it might actually make things worse given the Synth paranoia.

The Minutemen are not prepared to deal with a lot of the crap that's in the nastier areas. And time has shown that as soon as their leader dies or disappears they'd break up into factions and infighting. Then you've got a bunch of militarized raiders dicking around. Really, they're more like a really early proto NCR without the provisional government aspects. Which means they likely aren't going to turn into a nation that can actually police itself since they're only concerned with arming settlers so they can protect their homes.

Anyone familiar with how armies work could tell you that's a terrible idea. Without some force to keep them in line there's nothing stopping those same settlers from deciding they'll use their new weapons to take food from other settlements if times get tough. Hell, a few consoles in the game that you can hack show that that's exactly what happened to the last iteration of the Minutemen.

There's really no good ending. Every single one has a huge potential downside when looked at from one angle or another. Which is neat.

But the problem is you don't really figure that out unless you start digging around in the conversation trees. And most of them are limited by the fact that you only get one chance to respond to many things to find out new information and your actual responses are hidden behind a terrible conversation UI.

TL;DR: That conversation mod that lets you see what you actually get to say is probably the best mod for the game so far. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 19, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
One of the BOS repeatable quests is like getting your settlements for the BOS. I tried it and I had to bribe my own people 1k caps to give them food and then it said "this settlement is under control of the BOS".

Does that mean I cant build there anymore?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

No gods, No masters.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, Broken Steel made FO3 pretty ok. The ending for Fallout 3 was one of the dumbest I'd ever experienced in a game, Broken Steel retcons it and is Bethesda nicely admitting they wrote a horrible ending so here's a way better one sorry we hosed up so bad guys. I haven't played FO3 since it all came out, never found my self going back to it like with NV, but I remembered being pretty impressed with Broken Steel "fixing" the game and redeeming the awful plot and ending.

I'm hoping some of the DLC for Fallout 4 some how fixes or explains or just retcons some of the dumber plot holes out and expands the areas that feel missing.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Edit:nm

zooted heh fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 19, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

No gods, No masters.

I wish that ending existed. :argh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baronjutter posted:

Absolutely. When she told me she had visions my character just said "bullshit" and walked off. Never gave her anything or even listened to her.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Zaphod42 posted:

Absolutely. When she told me she had visions my character just said "bullshit" and walked off. Never gave her anything or even listened to her.

I found it hilarious that the other person in the conversation is like "wow, could you please have some respect and hear out our insane old lady?!"

Oh, suddenly I'M the crazy one for not believing in actual psychic powers.

edit: "drug-addicted insane old lady"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zaphod42 posted:

She knew about the Death Claw. Also she told me some code word to say to some dude later on and it let me talk my way past a fight, so she has some sort of crazy real ability.

Also bad writers love relying on the crutch of the mystic or ancient prophesy telling the player their destiny in order to get the plot moving, so I just assumed. It would be so refreshing to see a situation like this where the ancient prophesy or respected far-seer was just vague bullshit people later interpreted as right. In media the mystic always conveys important wisdom, the prophesy is always true.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 19, 2015

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

She knew about the Death Claw. Also she told me some code word to say to some dude later on and it let me talk my way past a fight, so she has some sort of crazy real ability.
I think she's got a thing going on kind of like the psykers from Fallout 1.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

SO much can you pump into her?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

gullah jack posted:

I think she's got a thing going on kind of like the psykers from Fallout 1.

yeah she's probably supposed to be a psyker

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Actually, using her prophecies in the main quest is pretty drat funny

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
As far as I can remember every game in the franchise has a couple people who have supernatural powers or are psychics or whatever

It's actually kind of impressive restraint that nobody's made a game where you explicitly play as one yet (it might actually be kinda fun)

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Archonex posted:

Anyone familiar with how armies work could tell you that's a terrible idea. Without some force to keep them in line there's nothing stopping those same settlers from deciding they'll use their new weapons to take food from other settlements if times get tough. Hell, a few consoles in the game that you can hack show that that's exactly what happened to the last iteration of the Minutemen.
A government must establish a monopoly on the legitimate use of force. American gun nuts need to be taught this.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Still dealing with the Mutfruit orchard I planted in The Castle not being interactable in workshop mode. Testing another such plantation at the nearby beach settlement, and that seems to be working - except for one plant; looks like it may be a bug that occurs if you plant them too close to eachother.

Is there any way in console for me to despawn particular objects?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baronjutter posted:

Also bad writers love relying on the crutch of the mystic or ancient prophesy telling the player their destiny in order to get the plot moving, so I just assumed. It would be so refreshing to see a situation like this where the ancient prophesy or respected far-seer was just vague bullshit people later interpreted as right. In media the mystic always conveys important wisdom, the prophesy is always true.

Oh, I'm sure she does. But my character isn't having any of it ;)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Archonex posted:

On the other hand The railroad are explicitly ignoring the issues with the Commonwealth. Which include groups of raiders (some who are former Minutemen) literally cannibalizing, torturing, and even displaying the corpses of their kills on poles. Never mind all the other horrible poo poo trying to kill everyone living there. They only give a poo poo about Synths.

The Minutemen are not prepared to deal with a lot of the crap that's in the nastier areas. And time has shown that as soon as their leader dies or disappears they'd break up into factions and infighting. Then you've got a bunch of militarized raiders dicking around. Really, they're more like a really early proto NCR without the provisional government aspects. Which means they likely aren't going to turn into a nation that can actually police itself since they're only concerned with arming settlers so they can protect their homes.

Anyone familiar with how armies work could tell you that's a terrible idea. Without some force to keep them in line there's nothing stopping those same settlers from deciding they'll use their new weapons to take food from other settlements if times get tough.

There's really no good ending. Every single one has a huge potential downside when looked at from one angle or another. Which is neat.

But the problem is you don't really figure that out unless you start digging around in the conversation trees. And most of them are limited by the fact that you only get one chance to respond to many things to find out new information and your actual responses are hidden behind a terrible conversation UI.

TL;DR: That conversation mod that lets you see what you actually get to say is probably the best mod for the game so far. :v:

ending spoilers railroad/institute

I don't really see the Railroad's focus on synths as a shortcoming, though, unless you are only going to measure "best ending" as "ending with the highest marginal likelihood of a rebuilt civilization, regardless of the actual chance of that happening." And having gone through the Institute and the Railroad's quests until the last moment where you have to pick between the two, I came out of the Institute not believing for one minute that any of the lofty goals of helping the surface your character can potentially express were actually going to happen. The reaction of the people around the institute very much left me with the impression that one day my character would try to relay back to the institute to find the locks had been changed while I was out, and my clothes and records dumped in a basket in the CIT ruins to collect. I doubt any of the quest endings have any significant chance of fixing the commonwealth, and so the Railroad's ending, I think, is the best ending (in the sense of "does the greatest good"), because all the named bad guys are dead and the slaves are all free, and that's the best you can hope for out of all the choices.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zombies' Downfall posted:

As far as I can remember every game in the franchise has a couple people who have supernatural powers or are psychics or whatever

It's actually kind of impressive restraint that nobody's made a game where you explicitly play as one yet (it might actually be kinda fun)

The entire plot of Fallout 2 starts with your tribes' psychic shaman sending you on a quest to retrieve a "magical" artifact because he's having visions about it. And if you aren't getting it fast enough he'll annoy you with telepathic messages telling you to get a move on before everyone starves.

I can't actually recall anyone in Fallout 3 that had some kind of psychic power but I didn't play all the DLC.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, stumbled across an area with a holotape describing a guy getting his family into his homemade bunker in lieu of the bombs falling. Dug around a bit and found it, it contained 2 adult skeletons and this:

Some of the environmental stories in this game can be pretty depressing.

(Pay no attention to the still burning candles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish we had the ability to shape the Minute Men into something beyond what Preston dictates. Even if just story fluff, I wish we had could make some choices that impact the end of the game. If you get all the settlements you have an empire far bigger than diamond city, you probably control 90% of the civilians in the game. Where's the clout that comes with that? Where's the fun choices you can make about your emerging nation? It never feels like an emerging nation though. Why can't we decide how centralized we are? Which settlement is the capital if it is centralized? What's our policy towards Synths and Mutants? If we as General decide to be pro-synth we may have to deal with anger from anti-synth paranoia in our settlements. They could have had whole quests and plots related to these questions. We get a town full of Mr. Handy's and a town full of Ghouls but what's our official policy towards these groups? What's our long term plan for the future? What's our relationship with Diamond City or Good neighbour or the other existing powers and settlements?

They just do nothing with any of this :(

• Locked thread