Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

:circlefap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

revmoo posted:

That's strange. I'd expect the animals in a moderately-stocked tank to go a lot longer than 24 hours without flow.

Yeah, my hermits and other things seem fine. Maybe just a coincidence? Either way, boo.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Hood Ornament posted:

Yeah, my hermits and other things seem fine. Maybe just a coincidence? Either way, boo.

I think so. Keep in mind these things are bagged up and sent around the world in the mail all the time.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
Huh. I was taught that after 4 hours you risk loss of life due to the lack of oxygen exchange.

I'm a little less freaked out about my power going out now!

Eel buddy! What did you name it?!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Feeding test #1: took a swipe at thawed frozen krill, did not commit. Though the fact that feeding tongs does not scare it into hiding is promising.

e: tonight I will try silversides

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 20, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Finally got a complete set of test kits in. Still missing PH but it's a low priority.

Temp - 77F
Salinity - 35ppt
dKH - 8.9
Calcium - 450ppm
Mag - 1440ppm
Phosphate - 1ppm
Nitrate - 25ppm

Looks like everything is pretty solid except phosphates and Nitrates. Water changes are doing gently caress all so I've started dosing vodka. .3ml daily at the moment.

Picked up a pair of Banggai Cardinals over the weekend. Man those fish swim weird as hell.

Also:

Meet Lisa Frank. A very good Goby. Doesn't sift too much.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My second-hand mp10 pump has been super loud for a while now, so I decided to do a little surgery to replace the ball bearings. Somehow, I managed to snap the magnet in half while attempting to remove it from the motor. So now I get to spend $115 replacing the entire dry side. Yay me!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The QD dry side is real good if you just buy that.

e: for real silence tho you need the controller replaced too

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 23, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

My second-hand mp10 pump has been super loud for a while now, so I decided to do a little surgery to replace the ball bearings. Somehow, I managed to snap the magnet in half while attempting to remove it from the motor. So now I get to spend $115 replacing the entire dry side. Yay me!

I think my dry side poo poo the bed as well, the thing just spins very slowly no matter what I do to it. Took it apart and tried cleaning everything really well and it still does the same thing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

I think my dry side poo poo the bed as well, the thing just spins very slowly no matter what I do to it. Took it apart and tried cleaning everything really well and it still does the same thing.

Is it possible the controller is screwed? Sounds like maybe it's not sending the right speed signal. I've actually got an extra first gen controller box you can have if you want to test it out.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Is it possible the controller is screwed? Sounds like maybe it's not sending the right speed signal. I've actually got an extra first gen controller box you can have if you want to test it out.

Could be, it spins, but the same speed all the time, which is very slowly. Wanna take this to PM? I'd love to try that controller out to eliminate one variable before I buy the upgrade to the QD. If the controller is shot, that's a $50 fix/upgrade.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
My LFS (https://www.facebook.com/aquariumoutfitters) holds an annual holiday sale and prize raffle (with raffle tickets being given out based on purchases at the sale - e.g., every fifty dollars gets you a blue ticket that you can put in the draw jar by one of the blue label prizes, every hundred dollars gets you a red ticket that you can put in the draw jar by one of the red label prizes.)

Four years ago I bought about $900 worth of coral and miscellaneous supplies and won the grand prize for that year: an Innovative Marine 8 gallon nano with stand, light, pump and peripherals: http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovati...CCKTLUT-vi.html

This year I bought about $200 worth of dry goods and supplements and once again won the grand prize for the year: a 35 gallon Deep Blue Reef Ready with stand and canopy.

I'd like to do something different (my 150 is a general mixed reef which, while pretty, doesn't have any sort of specific theme to it.) I'm considering a few different options: a low flow sea horse, pipefish, gorgonian and filter feeder tank; a ricordea and zoanthid garden, maybe with a few other softies; or maybe a DSB jawfish-dominated tank.

Does anyone have any comments on the above ideas, or thoughts on something else unique and eye-catching?

(ninja edit: the light is a placeholder for now. I'm probably looking at an AI Hydra HD, either 26 or 52.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Nice looking tank!

So I picked up a 30g cube the other day with sump and everything from someone getting out of the hobby. Even got some fish! A small clown, banggai cardinalfish, 6 line wrasse and a blenny (not sure of species, dark blue with a yellow tail). Everything runs great so far except I can't seem to get rid of the rushing water noise from the drain. The tank has two holes drilled in the top of the back side for a drain/return with a little box attached to the drain for overflow. This goes into a pvc elbow and then down into the sump. Is there any easy mods I can make to the pipes that will reduce or eliminate this noise? I looked up the herbie and beanimals methods but it seems like I would need to drain the tank and drill more holes. Will post pics when I get home if needed.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Goddamnit just lost a Banggai Cardinal.

That makes 13 loving fish I've bought from this LFS and most of died within 24 hours. I'm never going there again.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

revmoo posted:

Goddamnit just lost a Banggai Cardinal.

That makes 13 loving fish I've bought from this LFS and most of died within 24 hours. I'm never going there again.

RIP

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ikr. Now his buddy is lonely.

$10 says the other one drops dead too.

I've never ever seen this kind of fish dieoff before. We used to use another SUPER lovely LFS here and occasionally would lose a fish here and there, but it was always our fault and months later. This new LFS I'm consistently having dead fish within hours/days of purchase.

I'm just going to stop supporting my local businesses and order everything online from now on.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

Could be, it spins, but the same speed all the time, which is very slowly. Wanna take this to PM? I'd love to try that controller out to eliminate one variable before I buy the upgrade to the QD. If the controller is shot, that's a $50 fix/upgrade.

Sent ya a PM.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
That's terrible. Where abouts are you at?

You might try KP Aquatics. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I intend to place an order from them at some point but I have not yet, so take this with a grain of salt.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Rallos posted:

Nice looking tank!

So I picked up a 30g cube the other day with sump and everything from someone getting out of the hobby. Even got some fish! A small clown, banggai cardinalfish, 6 line wrasse and a blenny (not sure of species, dark blue with a yellow tail). Everything runs great so far except I can't seem to get rid of the rushing water noise from the drain. The tank has two holes drilled in the top of the back side for a drain/return with a little box attached to the drain for overflow. This goes into a pvc elbow and then down into the sump. Is there any easy mods I can make to the pipes that will reduce or eliminate this noise? I looked up the herbie and beanimals methods but it seems like I would need to drain the tank and drill more holes. Will post pics when I get home if needed.

Post some pics. I bet you can use the return as an emergency drain and the overflow normally with the herbie method. Then the return would have to go up over the back though. Otherwise you have to try a durso which IME never find a steady-state and go silent.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Of the big ones:

Good online fish source: LiveAquaria (Diver's Den specifically)
Bad online fish source: Bluezooaquatics

My LFS (in a strip mall right outside my subdivision) is real good about healthy fish. If I lose fish I buy from there it's my fault.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
I will post pics when I get home.

broken clock opsec posted:

Of the big ones:

Good online fish source: LiveAquaria (Diver's Den specifically)
Bad online fish source: Bluezooaquatics

My LFS (in a strip mall right outside my subdivision) is real good about healthy fish. If I lose fish I buy from there it's my fault.

Which one do you go to? AquaPros? I've always had great success with fish from The Ark in Merrillville but that's a bit of a drive for you.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I'm further northwest. Way out there. Exotic Aquatics Reef Plus Beyond the Reef and Advanced Aquatics define the limits of my normal roaming.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 24, 2015

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

Rallos posted:

That's terrible. Where abouts are you at?

You might try KP Aquatics. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I intend to place an order from them at some point but I have not yet, so take this with a grain of salt.

Seconded, I've been getting stuff from them since 2008 and they're awesome.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
So.. looking to rehome a few fish if any Chicago Goons are interested. A small ocellaris clown, a banggai cardinal, sixline wrasse and a bicolor blenny. All healthy and eating, if you want to come pick them up they are free. PM me if interested. :)

-e- That's it! I gave my emerald crab an ultimatum. He can stop knocking over my zoa frag or get banished to the sump. He has until Monday to comply....

Rallos fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 25, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Replied with address, what do I owe ya?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hey sorry SaNChEzZ, probably won't be able to get that out until Monday.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Hey sorry SaNChEzZ, probably won't be able to get that out until Monday.

No sweat man, its been dead for a while now. No rush at all, I appreciate it no matter how long it takes :)

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I'm an idiot. Imagine a teenager with a background mostly in freshwater fishkeeping from 1995 entered a time machine and came to the present and setup a saltwater tank. That's pretty much me.

My tank is a 75 gallon and it's been up since early July 2014. The filter is an Eheim Classic 600. I used aragonite sand as a substrate a mix of mostly dry reef rock and a couple pieces of live rock. My favorite fish was always the Picasso trigger and I am borderline obsessed with Hawaii so I setup the tank as housewarming gift to myself to do just that. After a fishless cycle with ammonia I added a small yellow tang and special ordered a 2" Rectangle Trigger. The tang was added in August 2014 and the trigger in October 2014. I added a Melanurus Wrasse last month. All three get a long great most of the time (tang is a dick from time to time but nothing serious) and eat heartily. Other than a recurrent Aptasia problem I'd say it's going pretty well.

So here's the problem, as I've been doing research on protein skimmers I've also pieced together that I've been doing the following wrong the whole time:
1) Apparently canister filters are out of style for saltwater because they tend to be nitrate factories?
2) Have a bubble stone which I initially planned on using only for the fishless cylce process but ended up liking. Apparently does nothing but cause salt creep?
3) I've been mixing my saltwater with tap water treated with API Tap Water Conditioner. I guess I should be buying RO water or getting an RO unit?

I think I've been lucky because the fish are small but I definitely want to give them the best chance for the long-haul. Anyone have experience with using live rock rubble in a canister filter? How do you weigh in on protein skimmer in FOWLR setups? Articles I've read seem evenly split. How big a deal is the tap water thing in FOWLR?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Most of your perceived issues will be significantly less bad, simply because fish are generally a hell of a lot more forgiving of imperfect conditions than most corals are. The only thing I'll comment on specifically is that running an air stone in a salt tank can have significant effects on pH, which can in turn affect alkalinity. If it's working for you, I'd be loathe to change it.

I would aim for at least an RO setup for make-up and change-water, if not a full RO/DI system. You're a minor mistake at your local municipal water treatment plant away from losing everything.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
That and tap water usually contains extra minerals and stuff than can cause algae outbreaks.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I picked up some Wal Mart RO water. The inspection sticker said 11/2015 on the machine so hopefully Jim Bob changed the filters and stuff. I also ordered a Hydor Koralia 1050 and will replace my air stone with it when it shows up.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I picked up some Wal Mart RO water. The inspection sticker said 11/2015 on the machine so hopefully Jim Bob changed the filters and stuff. I also ordered a Hydor Koralia 1050 and will replace my air stone with it when it shows up.

Careful with that stuff. I tested nitrates on mine the day after service and they were higher than our tap water.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Honestly your best bet is to grab a ro/di unit from bulkreefsupply. This one is on sale right now. Pretty good price.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This is probably a dumb question, but do you have to hack into your water pipes to install one?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yes and no...there are sink adapters, hose adapters if you have a washer hookup, and pipe taps if you have none. My BRS RODI came with everything.

Highly reccomend an ro setup. Reefing is hard enough with clean water.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is probably a dumb question, but do you have to hack into your water pipes to install one?

Nope, most kits will come with an adapter you just screw onto your faucet. That's how I've been using mine for the past year, haven't felt the need to hard pipe it in yet.

I can also recommend the SpectraPure RODI units, specifically this 90gpd refurb http://spectrapure.com/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
I just connect mine to my kitchen faucet. The rodi unit has brackets to mount it. I've been debating mounting it in the cabinet under the sink and plumbing it in but I'm lazy. If I lived somewhere it didn't freeze I would just mount it outside by the hose spigot.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cool, thanks for the info everyone. I would've thought adding the protein skimmer would've been most urgent with a FOWLR setup but i guess it does make more sense to start with clean water than to make dirty water clean when it is already in the tank.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Cool, thanks for the info everyone. I would've thought adding the protein skimmer would've been most urgent with a FOWLR setup but i guess it does make more sense to start with clean water than to make dirty water clean when it is already in the tank.

I went over a year with my skimmer down because it needed repairs. Tank didn't thrive, but no fish died.

I'd definitely prioritize RODI over a skimmer, especially for a smaller (<40gal) tank. If I had to do everything over again, RODI would be first on my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

revmoo posted:

I went over a year with my skimmer down because it needed repairs. Tank didn't thrive, but no fish died.

I'd definitely prioritize RODI over a skimmer, especially for a smaller (<40gal) tank. If I had to do everything over again, RODI would be first on my list.

It's a 75g with live rock, Rectangle Trigger, Yellow Tang and Melanurus Wrasse. Filtration is an Eheim Classic 600.

• Locked thread