Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Thanks! How would you go about setting that up? Back in the day, systems could only display a subset of colors at a time, but they should still choose a lot of different colors, no? Maybe CGA had 16 preset, but video game consoles could do more.

I recommend finding a pallette you like and just sampling from that. Dawnbringer's 16 color is a good start :

This will help your colors congeal a bit better - will also be a good primer on using color ramps and making each color do a bit more work for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Did some graphics for my good buddy Tiny Turtle's stream

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I'm guessing his patreon is going well?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Bit anxious posting these because they're not really big improvements, but here are some animations, both have idle animations before the actual attack, not sure if i will stick with them, so they're more placeholder then any final animation.

Spear attack/Thrust:

Sword attack/Swing:

Also tried to step out of my comfort zone of just doing small characters, so tried to copy a pose and apply what i've learnt from drawing and what i observed during my life-sketching classes:

Not really a active/interesting pose but i thought i might as well go simple for the first one. Trying to get the general shape and anatomy down before putting any sort of actual detail/clothes etc down.

Reference:

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 19, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Thanks! How would you go about setting that up? Back in the day, systems could only display a subset of colors at a time, but they should still choose a lot of different colors, no? Maybe CGA had 16 preset, but video game consoles could do more.

Of the old systems I like the C64 palette the best. The only problem with DawnBringer's palette is it's so overused. I think working with bad palettes (see above) can be good too, it's like training with weighted clothing :p

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
Arne's Generic 16 Color Palette is pretty good too.

http://androidarts.com/palette/16pal.htm

I made a set of 9x12 pixel numbers a while back.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I tried the palette
Feels so odd not being able to just pick whatever color I want haha.
Today's pixel daily. 'Coon's gonna f your trash up.

Edit: Starting a palette folder. Maybe will collect them for a bit. Never knew people coming up with them was a thing.

Edit: Incapable of remembering to draw ears on literally anything I draw

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 19, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Help me I cant stop redoing spriiiitttesss

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Shoehead posted:

Help me I cant stop redoing spriiiitttesss

Nah man, when you made a cool base to work with ya just can't stop drawing awesome stuff ontop of it.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Your work is improving. Keep drawing. I would suggest that you try improving your animations by allowing the timings to follow a more natural momentum. Give yourself some permission to exaggerate. I'm reminded a little of Ultima VII which had kinda stiff animations. That game was a commercial success.

Exclamation Marx posted:

Of the old systems I like the C64 palette the best. The only problem with DawnBringer's palette is it's so overused. I think working with bad palettes (see above) can be good too, it's like training with weighted clothing :p
Hell yes. Is this piece for anything in particular?

Also fistbump to the C64 palette. It's satisfying to work in something that doesn't look like a crayola assortment and with a few pop colours it can quickly be personalized.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

I...am never drawing a skeleton again. gently caress.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
So I've taken on a student and started giving him assignments (well, really I'm just trying to see where he's at so I can give more personalized instruction later) and in order to relax a bit and take off the edge of "well, you don't have to do this bullshit!" I've decided to quietly work on my assessments myself as demonstrations when he's done with the full battery.

First assessment was a simple kitchen map with a 4-colour palette and 8x8 or 16x16 tiles, maximum resolution of 160x144:

This was my take on it, and I won't post his work here without his permission (especially since these aren't graded—I'm trying to figure out how he approaches different things). Consider it a Pixel Daily or something, since I made it in like 15 minutes after I received his completed assignment.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
I'm sick and tired of looking at the greyscale poo poo I've been working on SO

LETS DO SOME DUMB poo poo

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

the chaos engine posted:

I'm sick and tired of looking at the greyscale poo poo I've been working on SO

LETS DO SOME DUMB poo poo

You post these but not the poop one? ON THIS FORUM?

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
IM SO SORRY

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Noyemi K posted:

First assessment was a simple kitchen map with a 4-colour palette and 8x8 or 16x16 tiles, maximum resolution of 160x144:

This was my take on it, and I won't post his work here without his permission (especially since these aren't graded—I'm trying to figure out how he approaches different things). Consider it a Pixel Daily or something, since I made it in like 15 minutes after I received his completed assignment.

If I have the time, this looks like a good exercise to try. I like that you are willing to attempt the assignments you give a student. I had some extremely rusty professors in university who refused to participate in the kind of work they expected students to produce, they were cowards.

As weather gets colder I get more time to push pixels. These are some heavy combat robots I'm making for Temporus. I'll make a sample of how they are sliced up later, but the major limb components are separate sprites to allow for animating in the game engine.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Why did I decide to do this??

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Scut posted:

If I have the time, this looks like a good exercise to try. I like that you are willing to attempt the assignments you give a student. I had some extremely rusty professors in university who refused to participate in the kind of work they expected students to produce, they were cowards.

As weather gets colder I get more time to push pixels. These are some heavy combat robots I'm making for Temporus. I'll make a sample of how they are sliced up later, but the major limb components are separate sprites to allow for animating in the game engine.

Yeah, when he's done with all 3 of the assessment pieces I'll post up the specs for the 3 assignments so anyone is free to work off them or improve them for a little challenge.

These robots own, reminds me of all the time I used to spend drawing detailed machines of war in High School. But I don't write science fiction anymore so I haven't designed any new future stuff in a couple years.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoehead posted:

Why did I decide to do this??

Your own worst enemy.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Scut posted:

Your own worst enemy.

I'm going to finish this game I swear!

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Shoehead posted:

I'm going to finish this game I swear!

Much as I love your work and like seeing the progress in your design, if every developer constantly updated their assets as they developed additional skill, they'd never release anything. You're going to have to bite the bullet at some point (much like I have been trying to) and say "good enough."

Mind you, I think your progress would lend itself to being about 2 iterations away from it being acceptable to you. I haven't even started into the rabbit hole that is my art assets for my current project, too busy making sure the movement/attacking systems are working. Friendly reminder: Don't code your own systems from the ground up unless you enjoy pain and every small changing breaking things.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Noyemi K posted:

limits are good, but I have a hard time imaging how useful teaching a 4-color/sub-150-px environment would be? Crazy minimalism doesn't seem like a particularly good method for learning. :ghost:

Scut posted:

super good! I was wondering when you'd post!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

_jink posted:

limits are good, but I have a hard time imaging how useful teaching a 4-color/sub-150-px environment would be? Crazy minimalism doesn't seem like a particularly good method for learning. :ghost:

I haven't started teaching anything yet, I'm just trying to find out how he handles various arbitrary limitations like I said. It starts off with the most restrictive environment and gradually opens up.

After I've collected all of the assessment pieces, I'll show him how I tackled the same arbitrary limitations and structure the first couple of actual lessons around identifying and improving on key deficiencies in his work, which the assessments should reveal.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Noyemi K posted:

So I've taken on a student and started giving him assignments (well, really I'm just trying to see where he's at so I can give more personalized instruction later) and in order to relax a bit and take off the edge of "well, you don't have to do this bullshit!" I've decided to quietly work on my assessments myself as demonstrations when he's done with the full battery.

This looks great- the perspective reads well, and the palette is muted enough to allow sprites to "pop" on top of it.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
GOTY ALL Ys

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I thought that dog had a red rocket until I saw his other leg was red too.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
doing the pixel dailies thing

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I thought I'd give pixel art a try; so far it feels more therapeutic than drawing. Here are my first attempts.

I tried various styles/types; I'm least happy with the middle one. The one on the right was tweaked from a pre-existing drawing I had.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Exclamation Marx posted:

doing the pixel dailies thing

Love the AA and colour choices on these <3

Argue posted:

I thought I'd give pixel art a try; so far it feels more therapeutic than drawing. Here are my first attempts.

I tried various styles/types; I'm least happy with the middle one. The one on the right was tweaked from a pre-existing drawing I had.

For first attempts these are really good! The middle one I think suffers from being too sketchy for a small-ish sprite but still it's a billion times better than my first pixel art. Keep it up!

Content:

A dumb distraction became a flagship product. #indiegams

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

the chaos engine posted:

The middle one I think suffers from being too sketchy for a small-ish sprite

Can you elaborate a bit on what "sketchiness" means on a sprite? I could tell something was wrong with the middle one but I couldn't put my finger on what I needed to fix; I want to do another one.

A more general question: what's the usual approach to starting small sprite art? That is, the kind that you might see in an 8 or 16-bit game? I did the two on the left by blocking in silhouettes in black first, but in games like--say, FF6, the sprites are so small that some of the characters differ in outline by just a few pixels, so I don't know that that's a good way to start off.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
The way the outline is done on the middle sprite doesn't give the impression that every pixel is individually placed to create the illusion of a human shape, it looks more like an outline was drawn and a person had to fit into it no matter what. idk how other people do it but I tend to draw the sprite first and then add the outline afterwards. Usually takes some trial and error (resizing the sprite to accommodate the outline, colouring the outline, etc) but for me that works better than doing an outline first. With small sprites anyway! For larger stuff it's less of an issue, you can treat those more like illustrations.

This is my view on pixel art rather than scientific fact so ymmv, but basically small sprites are like icons rather than tiny drawings and should be treated as such.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

FraudulentEconomics posted:

You're going to have to bite the bullet at some point (much like I have been trying to) and say "good enough."

Aaaaaaaaaaa

I can't help myself

Edit: woah what's up with those missing pixels?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaa

I can't help myself

Edit: woah what's up with those missing pixels?

Nice butt-pixeling. The world could use more nice butt pixeling.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

quality butt-content.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Pixel-Art Megathread: It's not bootys it's *butts*

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

I figured that animating it was a 'good idea'

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Flappy Butt GOTY 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Is that 8 or 16-butt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Old Man Mozz posted:

I figured that animating it was a 'good idea'
Make it an AfterDark screensaver and you got it made.