Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Baronjutter posted:

I want to have Curie as a buddy and I don't want to deny her her dreams but the whole gently caress-doll body upgrade for you to romance feels gross and mass-effecty.

Well, you don't have to romance her. That's entirely up to the player.
It's even hidden behind a couple of charisma checks you can fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Speaking of gross and mass effecty, can you romance Strong?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Halman posted:

Wtf is the point of brahmin? Do they actually do anything beyond walking around settlements like stupid cow assholes.

Edit: HATE COWS

You put like 2 shotgun shells into their heads and they die, you get a tiny bit of XP and some meat you can cook and sell for easy caps.

Its very easy to do this because they just stand there while you walk up to them and press the shotgun to their forheads.

Otherwise just ignore them? Just Bethesda trying to make the world feel more 'alive'.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ribeye steaks are good eating and healing. mmmmm.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Its funny that they were brought up, my girlfriend casually asked me how they'd get to be called Brahmin, and I couldn't think of a good reason. India isn't a big player in the Fallout universe, and the odds that a post-war America would be pro-other-cultures enough to know the term is a little bit off. Tuscon being devolved to Two Sun makes sense, cows becoming Brahmin less so.

Got lost in the shuffle since I asked: How far am I through the main quest if my current task is to kill a Courser?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 20, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/640/

Apparently the hid the mod loader, but it's there by default. I wonder why?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What the hell is this icon on my Pipboy map? There sure doesn't seem to be anything there when I go there, this is right in Sanctuary according to the map.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
power armor

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

More specifically where you last disembarked your power armor I think

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

MisterBibs posted:

Got lost in the shuffle since I asked: How far am I through the main quest if my current task is to kill a Courser?

you are still in the first half, unless at some point you take a shortcut by deciding to just start killing one group of questgivers

Phanatic posted:

What the hell is this icon on my Pipboy map? There sure doesn't seem to be anything there when I go there, this is right in Sanctuary according to the map.

It's the location of the last set of power armor you got into.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Anyone else decide to horde all their power armor frames in one place where the Brotherhood couldn't get them? :tinfoil:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I want to have Curie as a buddy and I don't want to deny her her dreams but the whole gently caress-doll body upgrade for you to romance feels gross and mass-effecty.

Yeah, I thought Curie was the greatest until I did her quest. Then it just got weird. Think I'll ditch her now that I've maxed affinity and give Deacon a shot. That dude seemed pretty alright based on the initial railroad missions.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I love how poo poo is constantly exploding everywhere you loving go.

I was trying to remember where Saugus Ironworks was and went to the wrong place. As I went along the coast, I spotted some raiders, so I took some potshots with a silenced 10mm. They ran my way eventually, but suddenly the world blew up because they ran across some other guys and the other guys had a loving missile launcher or something.

When I finally went to the right place and got to the Ironworks, I was skulking around the outside, sniping high-level Forged guys and as I'm moving around to find more, the world once more blows the gently caress up. I had no idea what caused it until I picked off enough guys to safely move in. There was a Deathclaw corpse and a whole lot of gibbed humans. I dunno if someone opened fire and there were vehicles nearby or what.

Today, I was following a lead on a BoS distress signal at a four-satellite array, and as I was sniping Super Mutants (who were engaged in a fight with some really dumb Raiders) a Vertibird came flying in. The pilot, like most of the ones I've seen, seemed to be drunk, as the ship was making some crazy tilted angles. Eventually it did it one too many times and created an absolutely massive explosion as it flew right into one of the satellites. Took out some dudes, but if there were any bodies, they got thrown super far in the explosion. Shame. I wanted to hijack some power armor. Got two frames and the set you get at the beginning is missing an arm.

I'd fast traveled to Starlight and it was foggy as all hell... but then I hear a noise and then a crash. Piper was all "We should go check that out" but I have no idea what direction it was in since the fog was so thick. Tried to sleep and then go upstairs to look for smoke or fire, but I didn't see anything. Does the wreckage vanish after a set amount of time?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Vargs posted:

Yeah, I thought Curie was the greatest until I did her quest. Then it just got weird. Think I'll ditch her now that I've maxed affinity and give Deacon a shot. That dude seemed pretty alright based on the initial railroad missions.

Deacon is great.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vargs posted:

Her whole coolness factor is that she's a robot, but she's really just a french-accented Codsworth. I wish the whole new body quest just resulted in her having a better robot body and her being 100% robot-identified. I hate the trope that all robots want to be human. Why can't they just be totally down with their non-humanoid metal bodies?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I want a Gutsy firmware upgrade for Codsworth.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Zaphod42 posted:

You put like 2 shotgun shells into their heads and they die, you get a tiny bit of XP and some meat you can cook and sell for easy caps.

Its very easy to do this because they just stand there while you walk up to them and press the shotgun to their forheads.

Otherwise just ignore them? Just Bethesda trying to make the world feel more 'alive'.

Brahmin increase the productivity of your settlement and you'll get meat (and maybe fertilizer) continuously in your workbench if you don't kill them. If you don't want them spreading around the settlement, build a trough and they'll just stay by it. If you mean the caravan brahmin, then yeah they're basically just for show.

JawKnee posted:

Anyone else decide to horde all their power armor frames in one place where the Brotherhood couldn't get them? :tinfoil:

I have so many power armor sets that I've had to start parking them at other houses. Not because of the BoS but just that I can't stand leaving a suit out in the world. I think I'm up to 9 or 10 so far, mostly patchy half-armored frames.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I built mine a 2 story metal shack at the RR to hide in

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kimmalah posted:

I have so many power armor sets that I've had to start parking them at other houses. Not because of the BoS but just that I can't stand leaving a suit out in the world. I think I'm up to 9 or 10 so far, mostly patchy half-armored frames.

You can buy power armor frames from the vendors in diamond city, never stop collecting.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

scavver 4 lyfe :colbert:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How come all the paint jobs aren't available for all the power armour? I had my suit painted 100% Minutemen, now I got some better armour but that paint scheme isn't available.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
So I built a sneaky agile sniper but somehow don't really find it all that satisfying, even though admittedly I'm only at level ten yet. On survival the most my bullets do is alert the enemy to my presence. I'm rolling with Codsworth and dude is doing a lot more damage than I am. I also put effort towards explosives because that was a lot of fun in NV but really isn't in this one. You can't use explosives in VATS, targeting with them is kinda iffy and as lots of enemies run right up to your face you basically only get one shot with them per fight. I dunno, I might not be very good at this game.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
So I decided to make security a key factor of my corn growing operation.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

sniping with .38 ammo (which I'm guessing you're still using at this point) isn't feasible. Get yourself a .308 pipe sniper stat

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

You should tweak it so it still displays HATE NEWSPAPERS. Which I hope everyone selected as the option.

The funny thing is that I've been working on this mod so much that I haven't even had time to play the game, so I have no idea what you're talking about. I haven't even made it to Diamond City yet. Working with the raw .strings files has spoiled the hell out of the game for me, though, but I'll take one for the team.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

You can buy power armor frames from the vendors in diamond city, never stop collecting.

It's not really about collecting, it's just my compulsive Fallout "pick up everything" mentality. So if I see a set of power armor sitting in a cage or in the middle of some checkpoint, I just can't leave it there. But for some reason they're always missing the same armor pieces so I have problems like too many torsos, not enough right legs, etc.

I have the Enclave armor in my frame for when I actually need armor to wear.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 20, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Oh rad I had no idea I could buy frames, I've been getting way too upset at not being able to loot them form enemies. ;)

Broken Cog posted:

Well, you don't have to romance her. That's entirely up to the player.
It's even hidden behind a couple of charisma checks you can fail.
but I will get exp for passing those charisma checks so I must savescum for twenty minutes until i complete it even though I went out of my way to post about how she's a sex doll :downs:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Police Automaton posted:

So I built a sneaky agile sniper but somehow don't really find it all that satisfying, even though admittedly I'm only at level ten yet. On survival the most my bullets do is alert the enemy to my presence. I'm rolling with Codsworth and dude is doing a lot more damage than I am. I also put effort towards explosives because that was a lot of fun in NV but really isn't in this one. You can't use explosives in VATS, targeting with them is kinda iffy and as lots of enemies run right up to your face you basically only get one shot with them per fight. I dunno, I might not be very good at this game.

Turn off survival, install the increase or decrease legendary monster mod from the mod thread. Have more fun playing the game.

I set mine to spawn legendaries like survival but I don't do 50% dmg.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I love having the supply lines thing, when I need to clear an area and put up a beacon I just go in and clear it then fast travel back to my hub, send someone there on a supply run then fast travel back and build whatever I need. ;)

Well it is entirely your fault for taking his dialogue that far, you don't have to keep talking to him until he says he'll join you. ;)

edit: seriously though I think if you take the top option while they're waiting around, they'll let you turn quests in. Preston wants me to say yes to going to the castle right now but the top option is "anything else?" and he rewards for finished quests and then gives another, if you choose that option on top of the diamond.

The top option's been something like "Why do you want to go?" or "Why should I take you?" for all the companions I've met but not taken.

Decided to bite the bullet and just take Hancock with me for a while, since there's a whole system now. Even picked up the inspiring perk. He seems cool, though losing the carrying capacity really hurts when you have 1 STR. Should I bother giving him a weapon or will he just run through the ammo quickly and switch back to his default?

Aidopunko
Oct 12, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/640/

Apparently the hid the mod loader, but it's there by default. I wonder why?

It has a button that links to the Steam Workshop and they've confirmed that Fallout 4 mods won't be on Steam Workshop. In my opinion, probably *ahem* fallout ... from the paid mods debacle. I seem to remember that there was a Valve media release canning the idea several hours after someone at Bethesda had written something defending it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Baronjutter posted:

No you're not thinking enough about it. She's running around in the body of a vegtabled synth. It's not build a real doll body for Curie to pretend she's human in, its use this PVS victim that the doc you're going to fried trying to brainwash the Synth a new identity so her caretaker doesn't just pull the cord. Between Preston going on how he was going to kill himself when you first saw him and Curie being a frankenbot, Beth sure did make a lot of relationships I never want to start. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

coyo7e posted:

^^^ Oh rad I had no idea I could buy frames, I've been getting way too upset at not being able to loot them form enemies. ;)

but I will get exp for passing those charisma checks so I must savescum for twenty minutes until i complete it even though I went out of my way to post about how she's a sex doll :downs:

I know Arturo (the gun store guy) in Diamond City always has a frame for sale and I think the merchants in Goodneighbor did as well. You probably missed it because the illustration for it in the shop's menu is just a square or something that does not look like power armor. And it's not under the apparel section, but Misc. or something along those lines.

Dammit I've bought so many shells from Arturo that not only do I know his name but he's like "Hey shotguns are great, but maybe lay off them?"

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Buying power armor frames is lame. Go find them in the wild, it's way more fun that way!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Someone on the fallout subreddit posted a video on how Synths are made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF2TOmMRt_E

I love how they come out of the vat in their underwear :v:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Starhawk64 posted:

Buying power armor frames is lame. Go find them in the wild, it's way more fun that way!

They're also expensive as gently caress, they cost like 4000 caps apiece

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Crabtree posted:

No you're not thinking enough about it. She's running around in the body of a vegtabled synth. It's not build a real doll body for Curie to pretend she's human in, its use this PVS victim that the doc you're going to fried trying to brainwash the Synth a new identity so her caretaker doesn't just pull the cord. Between Preston going on how he was going to kill himself when you first saw him and Curie being a frankenbot, Beth sure did make a lot of relationships I never want to start. :v:

French accents are great so I don't care about any of this.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Someone on the fallout subreddit posted a video on how Synths are made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF2TOmMRt_E

I love how they come out of the vat in their underwear :v:

"Hello, I'm new here." :v:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Not sure if anyone's said it yet because I ain't reading 600 pages, but this mod shows you what dumb thing your character is about to say and so it's pretty great.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Fans posted:

Not sure if anyone's said it yet because I ain't reading 600 pages, but this mod shows you what dumb thing your character is about to say and so it's pretty great.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/

It's already been posted and I'm using it cause it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Its funny that they were brought up, my girlfriend casually asked me how they'd get to be called Brahmin, and I couldn't think of a good reason. India isn't a big player in the Fallout universe, and the odds that a post-war America would be pro-other-cultures enough to know the term is a little bit off. Tuscon being devolved to Two Sun makes sense, cows becoming Brahmin less so.

The origin of Fallout brahmin is a lot less mysterious than you'd think: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman_(cattle)

Brahman are a common heat-tolerant breed of cattle.

Edit: in contrast to something like Black Angus cattle which are known for superb marbling (high-quality beef) but are not nearly so tolerant of warmer climates.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 20, 2015

• Locked thread