Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

As someone who frequents all 3 spots, I'm pretty sure "most smug" is a constantly rotating award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Andarel posted:

As someone who frequents all 3 spots, I'm pretty sure "most smug" is a constantly rotating award.
I'm pretty sure that's not something you want to brag about.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Impermanent posted:

Wow we give the BGG boards a lot of heat that they deserve but at least they aren't as incredibly smug as the r/boardgames subreddit. Every post that references the BGG top 100 talks about how insular and non-representative it is because of the hideously complex games that make it up.

That subreddit usually has some cool albums of gaming table builds, at least.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Wow we give the BGG boards a lot of heat that they deserve but at least they aren't as incredibly smug as the r/boardgames subreddit. Every post that references the BGG top 100 talks about how insular and non-representative it is because of the hideously complex games that make it up.

So they're a bunch of Quinns's?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like the art style in that Arcadia Quest expansion, boob stuff aside :shrug:. No idea how the game plays, but the, uh, 'mini-style' art appeals to me. Not really my kind of game, but I wouldn't mind painting the figures and using them for my RPG group's player characters.

Edit: The demon boobies are one thing, but I wish they had more women like the ranger lady in full garb, or the armored angel lady.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Morpheus posted:

I like the art style in that Arcadia Quest expansion, boob stuff aside :shrug:. No idea how the game plays, but the, uh, 'mini-style' art appeals to me. Not really my kind of game, but I wouldn't mind painting the figures and using them for my RPG group's player characters.

Edit: The demon boobies are one thing, but I wish they had more women like the ranger lady in full garb, or the armored angel lady.

There's a Watch It Played of Arcadia Quest if you want to see what it's like. It's been recommended to me as one of CMON's actual good games but it looks like too much of a dicefest for me, and I already own ImpAss so.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Impermanent posted:

Top 100 brain burners like The Castles of Burgundy, Dead of Winter, 7 Wonders, and Lords of Waterdeep. Oh Reddit, you are so aggressively terrible.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

quote:

Remember Xena? A lot of women love that show. Agreed, the snooty uptight business types might not like this style of art for women... but the voluptuous, fun loving, gamer types will adore it.

:chanpop:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

uhh fun loving? sounds like he's talking about someone other than boardgamers there

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
drat I thought TM was fairly meh at first but gently caress if I don't love it now -- the race powers don't look like much initially but when you factor in income/build cost differences you start to realize how different each side truly plays.

I'm getting too good for my group from playing that AI online though I should probably stop doing that :o:

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
I read and sometimes posting r/boardgames and they definitely seem to steer more towards the casual end of gaming. If you can cut through the barrage of incredibly vague questions questions from people about what game to get ("I want a deep strategic game game for 5?" for which the usual usual reddit response is Cosmic Encounter, and Munchkin is still recommended from time to time) there is sometimes some good discussion. I took a break from it for a while after saying that Catan was 90% luck, I got dog-piled by the casual crowd, one of whom argued that Catan was actually a "deeply political game."

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Indolent Bastard posted:

Top 100 brain burners like The Castles of Burgundy, Dead of Winter, 7 Wonders, and Lords of Waterdeep. Oh Reddit, you are so aggressively terrible.

Also, it looks like the Reddit Top 20 is nearly identical to the BGG Top 20, just in different order.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Zveroboy posted:

I took a break from it for a while after saying that Catan was 90% luck, I got dog-piled by the casual crowd, one of whom argued that Catan was actually a "deeply political game."

If you think that's bad, try explaining why Star Realms is less interactive than Dominion to them.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Dominion is less interactive because Dominion players are not people I interact with.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Lorini posted:

It's nearly extinct now, no mainstream board game publisher would release a game with pics like these.

Hahahaha no. I wish that was true.

Lately I've been enjoying Terra Mystica, a mainstream, respected board game from a major publisher, and it has this, this, and this. Cleavage represents 3 out of 14 pieces of character art in this game, which is also 100% of the female characters (unless the Swarmling picture is female, which is hard to tell because it's a fish). This is ranked #2 on BGG.

That's not the only example, but male gaze worse than Epic's abounds, from indie games and mainstream publishers alike. It's down from where it was two decades ago, for sure, but "nearly extinct" is not how I would describe it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

DontMockMySmock posted:

Hahahaha no. I wish that was true.

Lately I've been enjoying Terra Mystica, a mainstream, respected board game from a major publisher, and it has this, this, and this. Cleavage represents 3 out of 14 pieces of character art in this game, which is also 100% of the female characters (unless the Swarmling picture is female, which is hard to tell because it's a fish). This is ranked #2 on BGG.

That's not the only example, but male gaze worse than Epic's abounds, from indie games and mainstream publishers alike. It's down from where it was two decades ago, for sure, but "nearly extinct" is not how I would describe it.

None of those pics you linked to are anywhere near to what was in Epic. I'm not at all saying all women should be flat chested you know.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm more concerned by the huge nipples on the bare chested guys.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zveroboy posted:

I read and sometimes posting r/boardgames and they definitely seem to steer more towards the casual end of gaming. If you can cut through the barrage of incredibly vague questions questions from people about what game to get ("I want a deep strategic game game for 5?" for which the usual usual reddit response is Cosmic Encounter, and Munchkin is still recommended from time to time) there is sometimes some good discussion. I took a break from it for a while after saying that Catan was 90% luck, I got dog-piled by the casual crowd, one of whom argued that Catan was actually a "deeply political game."

Man, I am totally a casual boardgamer who gives no shits about meta or knows my eurogames from a hole in the ground, and even I know you don't play Cosmic Encounter or Munchkin.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lorini posted:

None of those pics you linked to are anywhere near to what was in Epic. I'm not at all saying all women should be flat chested you know.

I don't know about you, but cartoon characters being overly sexualized is a lot more creepy to me than the art in EPIC.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Who stole this lady's nipples?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't know about you, but cartoon characters being overly sexualized is a lot more creepy to me than the art in EPIC.

I *clears through very clearly* disagree

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
n... not a titty. please, anything but a titty.........

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Oh for gently caress's sake. The problem isn't, and has never been, "women have titties."

The problem is, "women are constantly reduced to their titties."

Because regardless of context, regardless of situation, regardless of character motive, these cards frame, center, and highlight our titties. Because no matter what else we could possibly be doing, it's not as important as making sure the titties are visible and well-presented for the consumption of the presumed-straight-male viewer.

No one is opposed to titties on sheer titty principle. I am a lesbian, you guys. I am quite fond of tits in general, they are very fun in their proper context. But there is a time and a place for the titties. And when y'all crusty-rear end goobers insist on every time being titty time, it sure says a lot about how you, and how the culture, values the aspects of women that aren't the titties.

And you're upsold by the amount of extraneous titty, it means you suck, and don't deserve actually contextually-appropriate titty.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

FFG's 2nd edition Game of Thrones card game has some pretty cool art of womenz in it, it even has some not-completely-gorgeous women:

I think they did a pretty good job. I loooooove the art on Lady, that last card with the crappy photo

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 20, 2015

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
What are the good online gaming sites? I use Boiteaujex and Board Game Arena. Any other good ones?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
boardgame-online.com is the pinnacle of fusing the analog and digital, as Rutibex may attest.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. The problem isn't, and has never been, "women have titties."

The problem is, "women are constantly reduced to their titties."
Petition to empty quote this at the start of every page.

Not just this thread, but every thread to do with 'Nerd Culture'.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

lordsummerisle posted:

What are the good online gaming sites? I use Boiteaujex and Board Game Arena. Any other good ones?

http://boardgaming-online.com/ for Through the Ages is good.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Board Game Thread 4e: Driving the fun out of discussing titties!

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

lordsummerisle posted:

Yucata.de has a number of good games as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Talking about Boardgaming-online, anyone for a game?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Also, for specific games.

Terra Mystica
Twilight Struggle
Brass

^ Is there a list of games on boardgames-online somewhere?

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Isn't an official online version of Twilight Struggle coming soon?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lorini posted:

vs
I honestly can not see the important distinction, the Epic art obviously has like 20% larger breasts but they are not outside the realm of normal anatomy or anything :shrug: I just don't see why sexy pictures of women is degrading to anyone. Its so bizarre, if a woman decides to dress sexy then it is empowering, but if men decide that they like looking at sexy women it is degrading. It's also super hosed up to be telling artists what they should and should not be creating, this is supposed to be a society of free expression.

I am 100% not on board with the new internet morality, it feels too much like Sharia law or puritanism in sheeps clothing.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
rutibex sure has stepped up his game this time

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Rutibex posted:

vs
I honestly can not see the important distinction, the Epic art obviously has like 20% larger breasts but they are not outside the realm of normal anatomy or anything :shrug: I just don't see why sexy pictures of women is degrading to anyone.

Think of it like this. Would you like it if every male movie character was Magic Mike? That's basically problem the sexy pictures and over-sexualized nerd stuff. If there was enough non-sexualized art for people to have a choice between the two, sexy pictures would be totally fine. But the current situation is more like you have to go out of your way to search for things that are not the female equivalent of

Also, has anyone tried out the Roll for the Galaxy expansion? Does it really make produce-consume strategies equal to mass settling with red dice?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

rutibex sure has stepped up his game this time

If only someone had explained the difference between sexy ladies and objectified ladies a few posts beforehand he could have saved from posting.

edit:
Also, Criticism =/= Censorship
what is it with creeps and thinking otherwise?

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 20, 2015

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

It buffs produce consume a lot, they feel pretty comparable now. The black die is a big help, and the goals skew slightly towards produce consume as well.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bug Squash posted:

If only someone had explained the difference between sexy ladies and objectified ladies a few posts beforehand he could have saved from posting.

All art is objectification, you can't talk to a statue and understand its soul, you are only supposed to appreciate the form. There is nothing wrong with liking the female form, and liking the female form in no way implies that a person does not respect womens minds. There is a logical disconnect in that reasoning.

golden bubble posted:

If there was enough non-sexualized art for people to have a choice between the two, sexy pictures would be totally fine.

I don't think we should be regulating the quota of what sort of art is allowed to be produced in our society. That is really totalitarian.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

golden bubble posted:

Think of it like this. Would you like it if every male movie character was Magic Mike?

While we're on the subject I'd like to start a petition to get some beefcakes in my board games actually

Like right now there's I dunno a couple overly dressed handsome men in Eldritch Horror and that's about it. Flash Point missed a chance to get real weird with it.