Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Lord Koth posted:

It probably won't be addressed either. Or rather, from what I've heard, the anime production staff seems to have massively boosted the creepy incest-sister stuff on basically all levels - in the initial source she has apparently basically stopped and given up that idea, aside from some slight teasing to get Stella worked up, after the mains start a relationship.

Yeah her goal was to make sure her brother gets some sort of love, and well Stella provided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Okay so I watched Cavalry and I can say that it is simultaneously better and worse than Asterisk. The side characters are better, the female lead is way better, the fights are better but the fanservice is worse and the incest sister thing is so much worse. Asterisk definitely feels like a by the numbers LN with every character designed with a specific trope in mind.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Eej posted:

Okay so I watched Cavalry and I can say that it is simultaneously better and worse than Asterisk. The side characters are better, the female lead is way better, the fights are better but the fanservice is worse and the incest sister thing is so much worse. Asterisk definitely feels like a by the numbers LN with every character designed with a specific trope in mind.

:yeah:

Today on Asterisk.
:henget:

and still not enough Saya.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
What are the things in pink chick's hair

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I don't think the part with the dragon was in the LN?

Funniest part of this episode:

(his sword is growing longer)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

(his sword is growing longer)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Incidentally this is the fight where the author stops pretending Amagiri Style is an actual thing and it just becomes full on Hokuto no Ken "I have a technique for every possible situation".

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I would happily watch a show that was solely about Yuri-chan's daily life.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Incidentally this is the fight where the author stops pretending Amagiri Style is an actual thing and it just becomes full on Hokuto no Ken "I have a technique for every possible situation".

I thought this fight was genuinely cool, but I'm pretty easy to please.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

I would happily watch a show that was solely about Yuri-chan's daily life.

That lady is a walking biohazard.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

4 episodes into asterisk, I'd say that chivalry is definitely the better show. Not so sure I even want to continue watching asterisk, honestly. The fights aren't great and I'm having trouble finding much to be interested in when it comes to the characters. Chivalry I still find things that I enjoy about the characters from time to time, and I definitely prefer the edgy past teenager pity party MC to asterisk's "I barely have more personality than a rock" MC.

Watching chivalry does entail putting up with incest sister though, and "more interesting than asterisk's characters" still translates to "usually not very interesting." So my interest in chivalry is still mostly reliant on being provided with a kickass fight scene once every 2 episodes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You pretty much watch Asterisk to make Failed Knight look better than it actually is. :v:

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

ninjewtsu posted:

4 episodes into asterisk, I'd say that chivalry is definitely the better show. Not so sure I even want to continue watching asterisk, honestly. The fights aren't great and I'm having trouble finding much to be interested in when it comes to the characters. Chivalry I still find things that I enjoy about the characters from time to time, and I definitely prefer the edgy past teenager pity party MC to asterisk's "I barely have more personality than a rock" MC.

Watching chivalry does entail putting up with incest sister though, and "more interesting than asterisk's characters" still translates to "usually not very interesting." So my interest in chivalry is still mostly reliant on being provided with a kickass fight scene once every 2 episodes.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. Asterisk bores me to tears and I would've dropped it already if I didn't find the similarities between the two so funny.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Stanfield posted:

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. Asterisk bores me to tears and I would've dropped it already if I didn't find the similarities between the two so funny.

Recently noticed that both shows also have openings that randomly shout the english phrase "brave new world".

This has to be like, a silly dare, or a social experiment.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I like how chivalry's MC's fighting works. Dude's a total bad rear end with an instant win mode, but it's pretty clearly shown just how huge a disadvantage not having a normal superpower is for him, and it helps the fights feel more like he's just barely scraping by instead of totally outclassing his opponent, even if he is absolutely gonna win every fight. The way that his being a total bad rear end stems from his tragic pity party back story I also like a lot, in the first episode when he says "yeah no one ever taught me anything directly so I got really good at figuring out fighting styles from just watching" I thought that was a pretty cool way to connect his history to his combat in a way beyond just "I trained super super hard and now I'm Da Best."

Meanwhile, as far as I can tell, asterisk's MC was just born as a loving god or something, and fights are only slightly competitive because his sister sealed his powers to limit them to 3 minute bursts, which is a way less satisfying power fantasy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

"I am a master of swords."

VS

"I am a master of swords, and spears, and daggers, and hand-to-hand combat, and basically anything as long as I shout AMAGIRI STYLE."

Amagiri style is very convenient like that.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

"yeah no one ever taught me anything directly so I got really good at figuring out fighting styles from just watching"

The guy can predict invisible attacks by observing the smell of his enemies farts.

"He had kimchi last night? Obviously he's aiming for my throat!"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah the mind reading garbage is pretty stupid

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

He then spent the last fight beating the poo poo out of someone way weaker than him, then insisting he won because he was more ~*pure*~ and ~*honorable*~.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Her power seemed like it could've made for a really cool fight, doing a sword slash and making that space into a No Go zone if he dodges. Having her just fill the entire arena with traps before hand I think resulted in a way less interesting fight

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, Chivalry MC's perfect mindreading is so stupid that it's hard to wrap my head around. But it says something that the show still manages to be more engaging than Asterisk. Heck, the fights ended the same way (surprise attack while shouting that it's a secret move from your fencing school). I kind of assumed that the conclusion would come down to the fact that she didn't split his head open with that cut on his cheek and her power though. I mean, that would've had something to do with honor, right? (I assume the school doesn't disqualify for lethalities, given the waiver and what the previous opponent was doing).

Anyway, I hope the next major opponent doesn't rely on invisible attacks. Again. That might be pushing it.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
LN protag is not allowed to win until he says a variation of his cool catch phrase.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

.Clash posted:

LN protag is not allowed to win until he says a variation of his cool catch phrase.

No Senpai, this is our fight.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Something about the moe blob sword kohai just bugged me. I mean c'mon try harder than that, LN writer.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I don't think you understand the medium.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh good, this is getting another season.

quote:

Lux is a former prince of an empire named Arcadia that was overthrown via a rebellion five years earlier. Lux accidentally trespasses in a female dormitory's bathing area, sees the kingdom's new princess Lisesharte naked, and incurs her wrath. Lisesharte then challenges Lux to a Drag-Ride duel. Drag-Rides are ancient armored mechanical weapons that have been excavated from ruins all around the world. Lux used to be called the strongest Drag-Knight, but now he's known as the "undefeated weakest" Drag-Knight because he will absolutely not attack in battle. After his duel with Lisesharte, Lux ends up attending the female-only academy that trains royals to be Drag-Knight

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

That's the least interesting description of people fighting in drag I think I've ever heard.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Alternatively: When the princess's parents die, does she become the Drag-Queen?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That is a very good question

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'd be all over "the same anime again, only now they're in giant robots" if that didn't sound even dumber than the current animes.

Male MC goes to a girl-only school? Really?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Infinite Stratos left its mark on the world.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, for that type of story having other dudes around is just a nuisance.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm pretty sure that premise has been done a bunch of times, often without the magic battle set dressing.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

There is a dilemma in anime.

The fans want an MC who is like them, but also one who is fawned over by women.

To reconcile these, the MC must essentially be the last available male left on earth.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ninjewtsu posted:

I'd be all over "the same anime again, only now they're in giant robots" if that didn't sound even dumber than the current animes.

Male MC goes to a girl-only school? Really?

It's not like it's the first anime with that premise. Or the tenth.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

For a moment I thought I was in the other thread I was making fun of this in.

Even the threads about anime are homogenizing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

oh i know for a fact that it isn't an original premise

doesn't stop it from being incredibly stupid, even by anime standards

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

http://puu.sh/ltsFl/49f846c62a.webm

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

So I haven't been watching. When did the one on the right get her brain swapped with a literal dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm sorry ma'am, we already have our tsundere quota filled. You'll have to wait outside.

• Locked thread