Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
But he'd escape to keep breaking out of jail to redraw the volumes, the prison break would be similar to that of the show by the same name, and he'd continue to break into prison to retattoo his prison break plans onto convicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Once Sugimoto succeeds in tracking down all the prisoners in Golden Kamui, their combined tattoos will reveal Murata's final draft.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Murata is Pri-Pri Prisoner?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

Am I supposed to prefer the tv version? Because I do. There's something weird about the artstyle of the DVD one that makes it awful to look at. I'm not even sure how to describe it.

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, the tv stuff looks low budget but tolerable. The DVD/bluray stuff is like... waaay too chibi. They've all turned into tiny children.

You people are broken by the poo poo that was Aku no Hana. It's not good or well-made.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mordaedil posted:

You people are broken by the poo poo that was Aku no Hana. It's not good or well-made.

I've never seen it, nor do I even know anything about it. I just know that something about the colors on that one comparison shot makes my eyes hurt to look at. The TV version might be simple, but I can look at it without cringing, so I'll take it if push comes to shove.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordaedil posted:

And then there's Kagerou Project.

that tv screenshot looks like a wikihow illustration

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

I've never seen it, nor do I even know anything about it. I just know that something about the colors on that one comparison shot makes my eyes hurt to look at. The TV version might be simple, but I can look at it without cringing, so I'll take it if push comes to shove.

Fair enough, I can't disagree on that front. I assume it looks better in motion.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think it speaks well to the anime that we would even consider comparing it

Tollymain posted:

that tv screenshot looks like a wikihow illustration
It looks like RWGY or w/e that show is called. Poser trash.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mordaedil posted:

I don't know anything about it. All I know is that in that image, the DVD one's characters look like dumb babies. they eye too big for they head

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
they both look bad

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Cool, the local hobbystore is selling the manga now. I picked up the two first volumes and I read the first one, but I don't quite *get* the bonus story at the end. Did it have any connection with the snowman later?

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

And then there's Kagerou Project.

What am I looking at here? These look like shots from two different shows. :psyduck:

Did they redraw the entire show for the BD/DVD release?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't actually watch the show, but according a goon earlier it was a flashback to when they were children and the scene looked very different from the rest of the show altogether.

Trying to look it up online is just more confusing and makes me have more questions.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PassingPie posted:

What am I looking at here? These look like shots from two different shows. :psyduck:

Did they redraw the entire show for the BD/DVD release?

Shows opening is pretty stylish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTp0Ka8Uy8

But the show itself is way more like the DVD release other then that flash back

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mordaedil posted:

I didn't actually watch the show, but according a goon earlier it was a flashback to when they were children and the scene looked very different from the rest of the show altogether.

Trying to look it up online is just more confusing and makes me have more questions.

So basically they half-assed the flashback with the excuse of "eh we'll fix it for the blu-ray". Like what Hunter x Hunter did.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

So basically they half-assed the flashback with the excuse of "eh we'll fix it for the blu-ray". Like what Hunter x Hunter did.

What? When did the HXH anime halfass anything?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Not the anime, the manga. Some of the chapters near the end of the Greed Island arc were basically scribbles but they were redrawn for the physical release.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

RatHat posted:

Not the anime, the manga. Some of the chapters near the end of the Greed Island arc were basically scribbles but they were redrawn for the physical release.

"Half-assing" isn't the term that I would use to refer to an artist who constantly becomes physically ill. I mean, I don't give a poo poo about HxH, but give the guy a break. Or 503.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kild posted:

What? When did the HXH anime halfass anything?

All the time.

If you're talking about the original, that is. That anime was less animated than some manga I've read. Reminded me of Speed Racer. The OVAs especially.

The Madhouse anime is a thing of beauty in spite of how it really needed a second opening though.

KoB
May 1, 2009

MiniFoo posted:

"Half-assing" isn't the term that I would use to refer to an artist who constantly becomes physically ill. I mean, I don't give a poo poo about HxH, but give the guy a break. Or 503.

Man I had no idea the Chimera ant arc took almost 10 years.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Blaze Dragon posted:

All the time.

If you're talking about the original, that is. That anime was less animated than some manga I've read. Reminded me of Speed Racer. The OVAs especially.

The Madhouse anime is a thing of beauty in spite of how it really needed a second opening though.

It still astounds me that some people prefer the first anime, for any reason.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore posted:

It still astounds me that some people prefer the first anime, for any reason.

Most people I've seen who like the first anime better are people who saw the first anime before seeing the manga, it became their "real" HxH so to speak, and they didn't like the differences between it and the manga/second anime, or something like that. I don't know exactly; most of the changes I'm aware of were for the worse, with a few even being somewhat concerning, but I guess if that's your original then it's the manga that seems weird.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I suppose it's the same for Fullmetal Alchemist fans.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Soul Eater did us a favor by having kinda bad anime-only content, so if they ever Brotherhood it, we won't run into that problem.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I suppose it's the same for Fullmetal Alchemist fans.

Except the first one has some points that differentiate it and it's not bad on it's own (as long as you're ok with downer endings)

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I haven't read the One version, and I don't really mind spoilers but if this isn't the thread for it then okay, but does anyone else think that Dr. Stench is behind Genos's hometown being destroyed? He acts really cagey when he asks Genos if he found the robot yet, tells him to tell him when he does and not do anything rash, etc. It seems like blatant foreshadowing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

UP AND ADAM posted:

I haven't read the One version, and I don't really mind spoilers but if this isn't the thread for it then okay, but does anyone else think that Dr. Stench is behind Genos's hometown being destroyed? He acts really cagey when he asks Genos if he found the robot yet, tells him to tell him when he does and not do anything rash, etc. It seems like blatant foreshadowing.

I'm thinkin' it's Metal Knight but I'm going off solely what Engine Knight said to Genos during the Boros arc and the fact that Metal Knight doesn't seem like that good of a guy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

Probably since only Genos and him survived the attack IIRC.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If Dr. Kuseno has anything to do with Genos's hometown, then I'd guess at it being one of his rogue creations and Kuseno's trying to atone for it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm thinkin' it's Metal Knight but I'm going off solely what Engine Knight said to Genos during the Boros arc and the fact that Metal Knight doesn't seem like that good of a guy.

I totally forgot Engine Knight even exists. Who's to say he's not the cyborg in question??

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

I totally forgot Engine Knight even exists. Who's to say he's not the cyborg in question??

Engine Knight is pretty much the most forgettable S-Rank. Unless there's a S-Rank that I'm forgetting in which case it's that hero.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Blast?

I'm sure that Engine Knight will pull a King and be the focus of some major arc down the road.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Lightspeed Flash or whatever his name is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's not really fair to call Blast forgettable because he's never actually made an appearance yet.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Has Blast ever been shown or had their powers described? In One's original work, I mean.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Nope. Blast is completely unknown in all forms even in the original right now.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

All we know is that Blast is apparently considered to be stronger than even Tatsumaki. Why that is, no one knows.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bad Seafood posted:

Lightspeed Flash or whatever his name is.

Flashy Flash. I am serious that is his official name right now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Prison Warden posted:

Blast?

I'm sure that Engine Knight will pull a King and be the focus of some major arc down the road.

I wouldn't say that Blast is forgettable because people keep discussing who Blast might be. In fact, Blast's lack of presence makes Blast all the more memorable.

Flash is another one, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Shugojin posted:

All we know is that Blast is apparently considered to be stronger than even Tatsumaki. Why that is, no one knows.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I was re-reading recently and I swear there was a line saying that it was believed no one could ever defeat Tatsumaki in a head-on battle. Which makes me wonder if Blast is supposed to be included in that.