Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Groin Sklunger
The Tunnels

Groin whips out his Auspex Scanner and begins to scan in random directions.

His robo-arm makes a good solid middle finger salute into the darkness.

Groin is scanning with his Auspex Scanner, maybe Paranoia helps here? I dunno....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Grumb Slanger, the tunnels

Grumb pokes at the dead things with his flashlight, invoking Common Lore: War. What are these things? Are they a War? Nobody knows.

----------------------

I rolled a 25 vs intelligence 26 on this worthless skill roll. I definitely know whether or not they are a war.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Drekk
The Tunnels
Malbrathia-3

Drekk peers through the photovisors, trying to eye what lies beyond. While Yurik and Mung try to discern the know-hows of the corpses and the servitor, he decides to press on a bit, within safe yelling distance of course.

---

Drekk is moving forward a short distance, trying to stay within audible yelling distance. He is moving quietly so as to avoid attention from critters

54 Agility + Stealth (+10) equals 64 if I'm right.

Rolled a 13 yay Drekk won't get eaten by Yeestealers!

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 5, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

please give me some idea of what you hope to accomplish other than moving.

are you stealthing, are you clomping, is your light on, what

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

please give me some idea of what you hope to accomplish other than moving.

are you stealthing, are you clomping, is your light on, what

I think I should do a stealth test to sneak past any possible unknown critters and Drekk has a pair of Photovisors in his off hand.

I'll edit that post later today.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wait, are photovisors like night-vision binoculars, or like goggles that you wear?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 5, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Wait, are photovisors like night-vision binoculars, or like goggles that you wear?

Photovisors are night vision goggles, but they're too big for scrunt heads at the moment so you gotta hold them up like binoculars.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Grimply, screlunking

Grimply is as close to happy as a scrunt like him can be. He's in a dark and somewhat damp cave, and that is enough to have his basic scrunt insticts tell him that he should feel at home. While he kinda does, his other and more hosed instincts tell him that he's in a dark tunnel with at least one rear end in a top hat that would like to kill him. Since he's the prophet of the Father and the Holy Slam, Grimply stayed at the tip of the group, but since he's also fairly insane at all times, he keeps looking over his shoulder every so often, to make sure that Grumb is not in knife range of his back. Quiet hisses are also thrown around whenever Grimply deems Grumb too close. He actually doesn't know if Grumb notices, but as they continue to stay apart, it seems to work out.

But despite the homey feel of this tunnel, Grimply also has seen enough poo poo on this planet to know that you never let your guard down. There may be things down here that are even more dangerous than Grumb! The hosed up wolf corpses a few steps ago certainly did not ease his tension. So he continues to tip-toe, his new cool googles in one hand, and his trusty scrunt pistol in the other. But the chatter on his micro bead slightly annoys him because it could betray his position in the darkness, so he stops for a moment and mutters through his clentched teeth.

"Lad, stop yer yapping an git me lad on tha talky thingy."

An unsure yee comes as the answer, and for a few seconds nothing is heard besides the faint static of the micro bead and the signature sounds of a dark tunnel. Then Flet speaks up.

"Yes, masta?"

"Lad, I 'erd tha otha scrunts are gettin rowdy up there?"

"Yes, masta. They wanna do stuff and fack around with otha stuff and stuff is also 'appening."

"Listen, lad. Yer me pupil, roight? Yer, wanna be a Prophet of the Fatha some day too, roight?"

"YES MASTA!"

"Oh shite, fer fack's sake be quiet! Roight....so then this is yer chance ta show what yer 'ave learned from me. Take me book from tha sack an tell tha scrunts about tha Slam an tha Fatha. Make them listen ta yer instead of doing what stuff they're doing, roight?"

"Uhh...roight, masta. I'll...I'll try..."

"Good lad. I'll get back to yer once we know what's down 'ere, roight? And tell that otha git ta not make such a fuss on tha talky thingy!"

With another yee, the faint static returns to Grimply's microbead. Satisfied with his take on the situation, he tip-toes onwards after making sure that Grumb is still where he's supposed to be. Far away from him.

Roll time

First I'll do a sneak and perception to see how good I am as a pointman that sees things before he is seen

1 vs 87 Agil (47+ 10 stealth training + 20 cloak + 10 Synskin) I am the Solid Scrunt

65 vs 63 Perc (53 + 10 Heightened Senses) But these new googles need cleaning imo

And then I'll do a charm roll through Flet to have him calm some rowdy scrunts a little. Like, I don't expect him to do much, but if he can keep a few of them entertained they may not gently caress everything up

2 vs 32 Fel (42 + 10 Peer -20 untrained) Never doubt the Father!

GM reminder that I'm very small, have a Camo Cloak and Synskin, and Photovisor googles

Scrunt Pistol (Autopistol - Basic / 30m / S/–/6 / 1d10+2 I / pen 0 / clip 18 / Full reload)

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 5, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Murdelia Skurvy
Skrunk

Murdelia peers suspiciously about the tunnel. Very suspicious, this thing. Who carved it out? Why was there a servitor in here? What the fack is up with the disgusting warp virus thing making things look worse than even a scrunt can bear? Who was breathing on her neck confluence of back and head? All questions that seemed unlikely to be answered soon.

She continues peering angrily back the way they came and at the walls nearby, in case anything is sneaking up behind the pack or about to burst through the earth.

Are there genestealers sneaking up? Is there a camouflaged beast hiding on the wall right here? Who the fack knows!

Peering scruntily at the darkness and walls: 1d100 72

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Grug
SCROINT

Ahhh back in the nice dark tunnels. Yup, that's a good place. Also dead bodies, yum! But before he gets carried away eating he knows to check if whatever killed them is still about...
He pulls the ancient, dim flashlight out of his survival kit and starts to examine the bodes and the ground...

gonna use survival again, with the survival kit to try to figure out what, how many and which way whatever killed these peeps went, needing 57 or less. I get a 47. Also gonna try to sneak about a bit - generally be quiet rather than totally unseen. I roll again 47!. Not sure what I should do about modifiers for this or anything so I'll leave it to you to say whether I passed it or not.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

A Dashing Indifference to Danger
The Tunnels
Malbrathia-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6joeRT-3r3s

The scrunts gather in the tunnel bend, to review the scene before them. None of them are particularly blessed with much of an understanding of dramatic pacing, otherwise by this point they might be getting suspicious - Yurik's psyniscience picks up that the tunnel bend has a faint sensation of "save point" hovering about it, whatever that means, and Groin's just permanently wired for screaming death to come for him from the shadows, but that's about it. The scrunts settle down for a quick rest - they check weapons, ensure clips are full and blades are sharp, and that rollups are rolled up. That done, they immediately begin loving about again, adjusting clothing and hunting for lice while remaining, for the most part, contentedly quiet.

Yurik pauses briefly over the dead creatures, gurning at them for a good ten minutes before he realises they're quite similar to the horrible hellbeast he committed to permanent memory a few days ago. They're not quite the same, although he's aware that this may well be because of their peculiar ability to appear differently to different viewers. The memory of his previous wolf-rabbit examination weighs heavily on his mind, colouring his current perceptions, and all he can really gather is the bare minimum; they're wolfy, and the one that looks normal seems to have died a while before the other two. Like, it's pretty decomposed. Maybe a week or so? All of the creatures appear to have died from gunshot wounds. Probably, and here's the real stretch, probably from that servitor that is now without a gun.

Mung callously, almost contemptuously, deploys his auger array, sweeping it over the scene with minimal affect. Waggling his hips from side to side to encompass the whole tunnel bend, he successfully gets his mecha-juices flowing. Information floods into him as he grunts, satisfied. His auger picks up a faint twinge of warp incursion on the wounds of the servitor, and all through the bodies of the horrible gribbly wolfbbit beasts. The older corpse just appears to be emitting the usual mouth-watering scents of decomposition.

Turning to the servitor, Mung's eyes light up with glee. He recognises this servitor! It's a basic, rugged, general-slash-combat model, often seconded to light infantry or line regiments from less industrialised worlds. The Turrus-class servitor is sort of like a downgraded Lathe-class (i.e. a voodoo zombie with metal bits), with general operational talent traded for longer and looser operating parameters. Techpriests would use this type for drat near anything; it's usually got some sort of light laser weapon grafted to its non-dominant hand, but Mung remembers that naval versions often use autogun variants which fire fragmenting or hollowpoint ammunition, so as to prevent fires aboard ship. There's a working protocaster integrated into its cortex - this servitor must have been receiving instructions through the aether, but unfortunately, this model of servitor stores its memory in organic components which have likely degraded beyond repair. The servitor seems to have a name-tag on its chest - Barrius - but it looks like it's no relation. Must be a common name on this planet, the scrunt thinks, as he busies himself looting the lovely machine parts from their fleshy prison.

Groin fails to turn on his auspex, which does nothing for his general mood. He strains his senses to the utmost, sharting ever so slightly, and is convinced he can sense motion through the rock of the tunnel, off to the north. He can't tell how many things are moving, but it can't be good!

Grumb gurns at the corpses on the other side of Yurik, holding his pants up with one hand. Unlike the psyscrunt, he doesn't spend time considering the situation - instead, he tromps up, swings his great head from side to side a few times, and just knows things. The scene looks like a fairly textbook ambush, just like in that comic on Rynn's World he read that one time in the privy; the servitor looks like it was standing... here... when that first, dead, old wolfrabbit thing came round the bend. The servitor waited, and then probably filled it full of holes. Then it looks like it tried the same thing, apparently a week or so later judging from the freshness of the other corpses, and dropped a couple more of them. But judging from the shell casings, it was forced back, and then wolfed to bits. Why the hell is someone making servitors hunt horrible wolf-rabbit things? Grumb is more concerned with the fact that he seems to know something Yurik does not, and stands further erect, holding his trousers smugly.

Murdelia figures there's no point in using her medical skills on identifying the green stuff seeping from the wounds of the servitor, maybe seeing if it's a toxin she can synthesise an antivenom for, because Mung's currently hacking the body to bits to extract the metal. She peers at the walls for a while. Her distorted eye peers back at her in glimmering glints, from countless shards of mica-like slamite. It occurs to her that any missed shots from projectile weapons might cause a slamite covection reaction, hurling the sound of impact back at a greatly increased volume. Better not miss, or maybe just stick to lasers and flames. She doesn't think in those words, of course. Mostly just a kind of subvocal grunting.

Gumbo stares around, vaguely, not doing anything useful, possibly feeling the first tendrils of that existential despair that put paid to Urok and Kreb.

Grug squelches merrily around the combat site, avoiding by chance most of the footprints not already destroyed by aimless scrunting. With a jovial burble he deploys his curious scouting kit; a short jet of plaster of paris shoots out, filling nearby footprints and solidifying with surprising speed. By checking the distance between paces with the strange, unthinking instinct of the true frontierscrunt, he realises that once the presumed wolfpack finished with the servitor, they headed back up round the bend in the tunnel and up to the north again. It looks like there were about six of them in this pack, including the two dead, plus what looks like a human footprint without the telltale serial number of a servitor.

Grimply is the only one apparently concerned that the scrunts back at camp are growing fractious, he considers, with a sigh. Maybe the party would be better off without them? How do they help? Sure, they're his flock, but maybe it'd be better off just dumping them in a garbage tip somewhere and coming back when the scrunts with talent need manpower for something. The sniper then remembers that this is exactly what the squad are trying to do, and feels a little better. Some of his enthusiasm rubs off on Flet, and in turn, the little scruntling manages to convince the base camp scrunts to stop loving around quite so much and settle down for storytime. Flet only knows a couple of stories, but that's OK, because most of the scrunts will have forgotten the first one by the time he finishes the second. Most of the complainers shut up, although the Tauros will later be discovered to have departed for parts unknown as the technoscrunts who have commandeered it have "a nerrand to run".

-------

A Bewildered Obliviousness to Danger
The Tunnels
Malbrathia-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNcTBQu13yo

After a few minutes the scrunts heave themselves to their feet, complaining. Several of the group act as vanguard, heading round the bend and up towards what feels like a large, twisted chamber on ahead - Grimply ghosts on ahead like the nuance of a fart; Drekk leaps from shadow to shadow with the skulking furtiveness of a rat; Grug merrily clomps along the tunnel like a big bumbling retard. The scrunts have at least a mild sense of self-preservation; they're vaguely aware of how far they can chance it. The shifting of bodies and faint bark-yees filter through from the chamber ahead, but the acoustics are weird. The vanguard realise that actually, it's not so much one big chamber as it is a lot of smaller, twisting, intersecting tunnels. From what they can tell, though, there's more of those rabbity wolfy things up ahead.

Grug, acutely aware of the noise his toenails are making on the floor, stops first, grimacing and clutching his rifle. Grimply and Drekk press on ahead, each managing to vaguely pinpoint the location of an indeterminate number of wolfy rabbity things. Through muttered whispers, yees and crude slang, the other scrunts are summoned and swiftly waved into silence once they clomp their way up towards the twisted section of the slamite vein.

It's time to be vewwy, vewwy careful. We're hunting wabbits.

HERE is the MAP

scrunt positions aren't fixed yet. Grug can go anywhere in the illuminated area. Drekk and Grimply can go anywhere in the fog of war, which will then reveal further tiles. presumably you're not going to turn your torches on a bunch of wolves and you've already stealthed pretty good so you don't need to roll any more

we are operating in structured time which means you do stuff in Half/Full actions. initiative will be rolled once (if) you provoke combat

each square, difficult to see as they are (loving tiles) , is 2m. max 2 scrunts per square.

shooting past more than one scrunt in these confines will prove awkward; it's -10 per additional scrunt after the first, and if you would have hit without the penalty, you hit that scrunt instead. i leave the tactical implications of this for you to work out or, in extremis, roll for.

----

scrlnt

bored with non-combat are you!? ill fukkin show you!!! rocks fall!!! everybody dies!!!! all the scrunts are now dead!!!!!

yurik looks at things. when you're doing a lore roll with a general goal of "SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT" i think it works best if you get some stuff for free, then you apply your roll to a +30 test, a +20, etc, etc, etc. you don't get lies or wrong information, because you're aware that you've failed a test, and that would be silly - you just might not get anything useful, or you might just get something that's downright misleading.

in this case, yurik discovers real obvious stuff that doesn't need much investigatory skill.

mung doesn't flesh out his post and behaves like an autistic robot. he scans the autistic robot.

he picks up everything there is to detect about the corpses, but the auger doesn't interpret poo poo so work it out yourselves. he also nails the hell out of his scholastic lore test, with a majestic 7, and pretty much knows all that can be reasonably discovered about the servitor, including its name. it is a naval servitor, it had a gun, it has a wifi-dongle allowing someone to instruct it from far away. not very far away - we're talking miles, not like from space. mung gets equipped with servitor parts

groin fails to turn on his auspex and rolls a 69 on his awareness test. while amusing, it is not particularly helpful.

grumb uses his worthless skill to form the clearest picture yet of what actually happened in this tunnel.

murdelia doesn't discover anything much

grug investigates mud!! it looks like a group of these weird hosed up rabbitty things is about six strong, and there's more of those horrible hosed up humany things as well. guess that explains who took the servitor's gun, huh.

grimply settles scrunts successfully. the tauros has gone off on a joy ride. it will be back.

stealth scrunts go and reconnoitre. you get a perception test with a bonus based on how bad your stealth roll was (grug hasn't got stealth trained) to see how far you can dare to go without getting presumably wolfed. as mentioned, drekk and grimply can reposition quite a fair way, so mebbe wait until they choose somewhere to go. grimply can whisper back via microbead; presumably drekk has to do interpretative dance

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Drekk
The Tunnels
Malbrathia-3

Malbrathian Wolfrabbits in Tunnels

Drekk was positioned at the front of the group. They had time to reposition, so he moves forward, pressing against a wall. To his left, he notices a pathway and bark-yees coming from there. He awkardly gestures at the group, hoping that at least one scrunt will interpret his hand signals as a sign to accompany him and not describing crude, vulgar acts towards their mother.

Hand gestures are hard when you have a sword in one hand and Photovisor goggles in the other!
---
Drekk is moving straight forward, stopping at the wall, possibly setting up an ambush of some sort.

GM reminder: he is holding a pair of Photovisors in his off hand.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yurik Scraglagger
The Tunnels
Malbrathia-3
Fate Points 1/2
Wounds 11/12

Yurik harrumphed quietly at the annoying and vaguely disconcerting sensation of Grumb Slanger being knowledgeable as the gunlugger proudly displayed hithertofore unknown skill at forensic reconstruction analysis ("There was a dangol FIREFIIIIIGHT!"). The mysteries of Malibrathia-3's fauna continued to elude him. What was it that gave them such phenomenally off-putting appearances, seemingly different in each viewer's eyes? Why were they down here in the tunnels, where prey of any sort seemed nonexistent? Why were servitors down here hunting them? All this potential knowledge tantalizingly close and yet just out of reach...it was enough to drive a scrunt mad.

Fortunately Yurik was already well on his way to being madness and so the sensation wasn't an unfamiliar one. Nonetheless it gnawed at him until they had rounded the last bend in the tunnel and Drekk began gesticulating in a way which suggested that the faint sounds coming from further on in the darkness were, in fact, from potentially dangerous xenofauna and not just products of his overactive imagination. While Drekk and Grimply scouted ahead with as much stealth as scrunts were generally capable of managing, Yurik steadied himself and took a deep breath...and as he exhaled he sent the restless, grimy tendrils of his mind questing outward into the darkness, ignoring the imperfect nature of his five normal senses in favor of his imperfect sixth sense as he attempted to pierce the gloom with his mind's baleful, beady eye.

As a Full Round action I am going to use Psyniscience in an attempt to more accurately suss out the location of any weird, vaguely psychoactive rabbit-wolf monsters lurking in the darkness using THE POWER OF MY MIND. The base TN for this is 36, modifiers are a mystery at this time, but I roll a 31 which means I actually score at least 1 DoS on this even if there aren't any positive mods I'm unaware of.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 16, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Mungly Mung

Mung was riding high. Between the fighting juice and being able to loot the gently caress out of a dead servitor that he knew a frankly baffling amount on he was in high spirits. His normally meek and cowardly ways suppressed by the drugged fuel allowed him to follow the others deep into the tunnel where the comparatively logical voice in his head was screaming about impending doom or some such nonsense.

Mung didn't have time for the logical voice, there was poo poo that needed to be burned up. He followed the others deeper into the tunnel.

As the forward scouts come to a stop. Mung draws his flamey burncaster out from beneath his robes and toggles on both of the pilot lights. He whispers to the scrunts ahead of him "Oi, get the fack outta tha way, I gotta hankerin to burn up some poo poo if'n something comes our way"

---------
Half action ready weapon. With my other half action I'm going to try and elbow my way forward to get into the middle ranks, behind the scouts but out of the backline. Assume I'm advancing if everyone else is, otherwise just getting in the mid ranks and holding up. My intention next turn is to probably get up to where the tunnel forks off to the right and overwatch that way so long as other scrunts aren't in my fire line.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you've already got whatever you want in your hands. i presume you didn't amble calmly through the tunnels without a weapon drawn

flamer does, of course, preclude holding torches in your hands. perhaps you have another limb you could have already affixed a glowglobe or torch to??

e:

here is the map as it currently stands. no contact yet

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 13, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

flamer does, of course, preclude holding torches in your hands. perhaps you have another limb you could have already affixed a glowglobe or torch to??

Pilot lights are technically lights. :downs:

I was working on the assumption that someone else was touting a flashlight, giving out enough ambient light such that I could navigate. Unless you are cool handwaving it to "utility mechandrite has a flashlight too!" of which I'm fine without.

As far as another limb I could attach a torch to, I am not cool with dicklights.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you don't all need torches it's up to you, but if an area's not illuminated on the map it's pitch black

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gumbo Bulge, in the tunnels
14/14 Wounds
2/2 Fate

Gumbo doesn't like the dark. He fumbles around with his gear, but finds it impossible to hold a torch, a chainsword and an oversized novelty pistol at the same time, at least in any way that could be useful. In the end he hooks his chainsword to his belt, reasoning that it's less likely to get stuck in an emergency - he still hasn't found a holster that will fit a bolt pistol without a lot of aggressive jamming. He waves the torch around, seems to work okay, then looks at the pistol and torch and remembers something...

~~wobbly flashback effect~~

Gumbo crouched behind a ubiquitous barrel, listening intently. Nearby, a human sergeant was lecturing some recruits.

"You want to hold your gun and your torch together, like this." The Sergeant had said. "So that they always point at the same thing, no use lighting something up if you can't- heh, light it up."

Gumbo was nervous, he had gotten lost on the ship. He was definitely out of his assigned area, it was obvious from the lack of garbage and similar comforting smells. He had come on board to learn and the humans had been no help in that respect so far, except at teaching him to dodge brooms, thrown objects and occasional las-fire. They had been very helpful at that. But perhaps here was a chance to learn something useful. He peered out at the assembled humans, who were now all holding pistols and torches, pointing them in different directions as the Sergeant wandered about, correcting them where necessary.

He watched the nearest recruit carefully, made the shape with his hands and nodded. It made sense - to aim the torch and the gun together. Lesson learned - and not wanting to push his luck and face disciplinary for being out of bounds - he turned and scampered back into the broken vent he and the other on-ship Scrunts assumed were Scrunt corridors. Behind him he heard the Sergeant one more time. "WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT THING?!"

~~wobbly flashback effect~~

Gumbo shakes his head. He never did find out what that thing was, but he remembers how to hold a gun and a torch like a pro.

As he passes the other Scrunts he mutters "Ere, lads. Summun oughtta cover tha." He gestures to the tunnel to their right. "Ahm gonna ed up to tha fron' an see what I can see, yeh?" He hopes they are impressed with his extremely professional torch/gun handling.

Gumbo advances to the furthest tunnel entrance holding his bolt pistol and a torch like they do in cop shows. He shines the torch into the tunnel illuminating as best he can without leaving the current lit area.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sorry, bit unclear - i know you said you're not leaving the lit area but just to make sure, which dot are you going for?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Im going up to where Mung is that's what I meant by up front which is purple I guess??The stuff about covering the right was a suggestion to the rest of the team I now realise this was unclear!!

Phoon fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 14, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Contact!
The Tunnels
Malbrathia-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvSx4YurWL8

As Gumbo takes position up near the northern tunnel, there! Eyes gleam back at him as he sweeps his torch around the bend.

He catches sight of a vile, leprous creature in repose, caught in the beam of his flashlight. It's another one of those hosed-up wolves! And this time it's breathing!

-----

ok you're next to Mung already so i assume you mean next to Drekk.

i will give you vile people up until Tuesday to get further position adjustments in, and update will happen Wednesday; all this scampering is happening simultaneously and let's face it, you're probably not all going to pass your untrained Stealth rolls to not alert these things

you can see one of them; you can probably assume there's more. remember the problems with shooting past multiple scrunts in these tunnels. just be glad you don't have comrades with you!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Grumb Slanger, the tunnel

Grumb grins a smug, toothy grin as he walks, chest puffed out in pride. Yurik appears to have fallen into some sort of jealous seizure, clearly unable to emotionally process getting out-detectived back at the mouth of the cave. Grumb keeps marching, stealing sidelong glances back at the loremaster until he very nearly runs into Sgt Gumbo, who paused momentarily at the intersection.

"Ere, lads. Summun oughtta cover tha," the sergeant authoritatively suggests. Grumb snaps to attention and pokes his gun-torch down the hallway to the right, hugging the corner for cover. "Ahm gonna ed up to tha fron' an see what I can see, yeh?" Gumbo continues, confidently striding ahead. Grumb is impressed with the way he's able to hold a torch and gun at the same time without sacrificing his belt. Grumb squirms uncomfortably in his sequined onesie at the thought, grabbing a wedgie out of his foul buttocks.

"Hey Barry," Grumb smiles, ribbing Mungly Mung with his elbow. "I was jus remini-, just r'memberin, tal'bout, 'memba them rat caves were we done used ta giggin'? S'just like that, eh?" He glances back at the technoscrunt, and blinks.

"Oh, right. Sorry, Scurrilous." He chuckles, slapping Mung on the back. "Ferra secon' there I thought you- AHHH poo poo, IT'S ONE-A THEM!!"
---------------------------
Grumb would like to position himself at the mouth of the nearest intersection (the red dot you marked above), and will ready himself to fire upon any hostile target that comes round the bend on the right. I don't want to fire if there's a chance I'll hit drek or the sarge.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 15, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

current map

you actually only had to use a Half Action to move there, but there's not really any other useful things you could do with the other half. You could take a shot at the dog that's mostly in shadows but you'll be shooting through both Gumbo and Drekk and you've said you don't wanna do that.

i guess use a Guarded Action and hitch your pants up or something so you get +10 on evasion reactions before your next turn? never know, it could come in handy

by the way there is nothing currently hiding in the fog of war for uncovered areas, e.g. that little corner that Grumb's flashlight hasn't illuminated. these are all places party scrunts've had eyes on in the last couple of seconds. there are, of course, things hiding in the black, covered areas.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

sorry, bit unclear - i know you said you're not leaving the lit area but just to make sure, which dot are you going for?

Go ahead and move me up toward the purple dot and I'm going to be watching toward the blue dot for weird dograbbits to burn. That'll be my move action for this turn. If people need to get past me to get to the north the I guess I can get on the inside of the corner closer to the blue dot and advance if nothing shows up next turn.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Grug in the tunnel of love
Wounds 12/12
Fate 2/2

Well, with the wolfy things and a humy in the area it looks like food will have to wait. Meh, those corpses were probably past their best anyway...

Grug readies the Tiny hosed Up Multilaser and moves up to the left of Grumb, using survival for any more tracking related clues but since Grug's on the move he won't be using the kit or even giving the ground full attention. Rolled 37 which I guess might give a little info as I need 47 at base, but this probably warrants some penalties. Grug will end up facing in the direction of the dog thing.

the fart question fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 15, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

current map

Grug spots the obvious as he moves - there's dograbbitwolf tracks going back and forth throughout all three sets of tunnels, backwards and forwards. This probably indicates the tunnels intertwine up ahead.

Grug has LOS on the dogs solely through Gumbo; Grumb has LOS on leftmost dog through both Gumbo and Drekk. Not that it particularly matters; just so you have an idea of what's going on.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Wounds 12/12
Fate 2/2

Grug whispers extremely loudly, "ere blokes, cover me, I've got an idea"

it's a great idea, honest

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Groin Sklunger
The Tunnel

Groin grips his shotgun and waddles slowly forward a few steps to peek around the corner.

Fear begins to overtake him. "I gats a baaaaaaad feeling about this" he whispers.

Groin moves to the X marker and peers into the darkness meekly.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

updated map:

Groin thinks there may be a trap in the straw, in the bit not lit up by his torch. Whether the dogs have the wherewithal to set one is probably another matter.

Also Grug do you feel as though you might be able to share your idea so that people know what it is you want them to cover you from

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 16, 2015

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Wounds 12/12
Fate 2/2

After wiping snot down his forearm he continues whispering loudly, "this one time I was watching a holoreel and there was this crazy humie and a wolf thing..." , he goes on to describe what is clearly a really great plan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpJNCO6Aj2Q&t=37s

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Drekk
The Tunnels
Malbrathia-3

Malbrathian Wolfrabbits in Tunnels

Drekk sees (and smells) Grug, a repulsive (by scrunt standards, anyway) scrunt almost naked and wearing a funny hat. "Guys, I have a really good idea..." he whispers, "I want one of those wolf things."

Drekk strokes his chin and nods. "Go on..."

---

Drekk is getting roped into Grug's plan.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Groin Sklunger
The Tunnelzzt

Groin listens in on Grug's plan to capture a wild hosed-up-tiny-wolf, which instantly elevates his mood from regularly paranoid to PANIC ATTACK!

"No no non nonono bad idea!" Groin mumbles frantically "Bad idea! Bad idea!"

Groin begins vibrating on the spot, frothing at the mouth.

Goin is starting to get freaked out!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Murdelia Skurvy
In the Tunnel of Scrunt Love

Murdelia chews a cigar thoughtfully as Grug explains his cunning scheme. Regardless of the outcome it's bound to be interesting, isn't it? Yes it is.

"Jus' wrangle one o' them pit 'ounds an' take it from there." she intones helpfully.

The scrunts had split up slightly to gaggle about different tunnel branches and sniff for wildlife, only for a few to immediately strike gold with their torchlight. Wolf-gold. Lots of shrieking and howling, and the wolfthingies hadn't even made a sound yet.

Murdelia slopes her shoulders in resignation and slouches up behind Grumb, one hand on her big thumping stick.

Murdelia moves up to the square south of Grumb

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Grimply, Tunnilingus

I will move into the right tunnel roughly as far as the other scrunts have advanced into the middle. If I can spot anything, I'll use my microbead to whisper "Fack" to the group. They'll understand

GM reminder that I'm very small, have a Camo Cloak and Synskin, and Photovisor googles

Scrunt Pistol (Autopistol - Basic / 30m / S/–/6 / 1d10+2 I / pen 0 / clip 18 / Full reload)

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 17, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Contact again!
The Tunnels
Malbrathia-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsz8EEoPXgU

Murdelia moves up, Grug outlines his wolfnapping master plan, Groin thrashes autistically in the throes of a dog-based panic attack, and Grimply...

Grimply makes some new friends.

Three pairs of eyes glimmer back at him from the dark, their owners baying mournfully as the sniper's flashlight flickers over them.

Yurik, seemingly a glutton for punishment, puts his all into detecting these vile creatures. He concentrates, questing, searching the noosphere for dogshapes with his intangible senses - and jerks back his head in surprise. He senses millions, billions of microscopic pinpricks around him, coelesced in places but thinly smeared out in others. His nose bleeds and he spasms in panic before he takes in the fact that these pinpricks are extremely small and unlikely to represent a wolfbitdog in its entirety. With this in mind, so to speak, he performs a psychic manoeuvre akin to reducing the resolution of a screen - things begin to get a little clearer. He can certainly detect where this essence is massing, but is unable to determine any exact numbers.

----

scrant

Yurik has detected places he's p sure are full of dogwolfrabbits, but as mentioned, he can't pin down numbers. Low-res, everything's very smeared. High-res, his head's liable to explode.

stuff will happen tomorrow

e: wait, grimply's got goggles not a torch. hang on, i need to edit this

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yurik Scraglagger
Dogpocalypse Now
Malbrathia-3
Fate Points 1/2
Wounds 11/12

"Billions...and billions..." Yurik muttered, eyes wide and unseeing as blood dripped down his beard. He spasmed, reflexively tightening his grip upon his thinkin' stick as he tamped down on the urge to let out a scream...

...oh. Oh right, hang on. Just pull back a bit...

There, that was much better. The psycrunt took a moment to steady his breathing, though his heart continued to hammer in his chest as he adjusted the focus of his mind's eye and took a less-closer look at his psychic surroundings. There, there...aaaand there? It was blurry and indistinct, but he could sense the psychic emanations of even more of the creatures lurking further back in the cavern. Perhaps much more.

"There's more of'em deeper in!," he hissed over the microbead as well as to anyone within earshot, scuttling forward to position several of the other scrunts between himself and the potential baying tide of fangs and claws poised to come boiling out of the darkness. "Down that way, that way, and a whole fackin' lot of'em that way!," he said, jabbing a finger down the central tunnel that Mung, Drekk, and Gumbo were scouting.

At this rate they were going to be swarmed by the creatures, and given the remains of the servitor they'd found he knew that they weren't especially friendly. "Groin...Groin!," he hissed as the operator began to vibrate and froth, quietly grabbing hold of him by the vest and quietly shaking him to snap him out of it. "Stop spazafrazzin' out and come gimme a hand with this...we're gonna set us up a blockade." He gestured for the other scrunt to follow him a short way around the bend of the tunnel, checking to make sure it was clear before setting his glowglobe and thinkin' stick upon the ground and fishing around his collection of bricabrac and oddments, "Here," he said, handing Groin a pair of sinister looking traps lined with jagged metal teeth. "Y'lay these out like so..."

Okay, so Yurik has a bunch of Mantraps and a snare mine that he hasn't used so far and I think I'd like to go ahead and do something with those IF AND ONLY IF he has time to do so before combat starts, as I don't wish to be caught with my proverbial pants down (as opposed to Grumb who will be caught with his literal pants down).

I am going to have him booby trap the leftmost tunnel, the one Groin is currently lurking by, and I will pressgang Groin into helping me and also try to keep him from freaking out. I'll set all three of my mantraps and the snare mine up so as to catch any creatures that come running from that tunnel, whereupon hopefully we can shoot them at our leisure and not get flanked from three sides at once.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I sadly remembered that Grumb is wearing a sequined combat onesie, and that his pants logistically cannot fall all the way down. So he's just going to be getting uncomfortable wedgies for the foreseeable future.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I Initially Posted This Update Without A Title Because I Forgot
The Tunnels
Malbrathia-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYCVyCMYYFg

A rush of malformed flesh from the tunnel hurls itself towards Drekk and Gumbo; darting forwards, snapping at them, barking and howling, withdrawing. It is a thoroughly unsettling experience, and the only way the scrunts manage not to lose their lunches (or minds) is through continued focus on the fact that these creatures cannot look like that. They appear different to each viewer; they look normal when they've been dead a while. It has to be some sort of trick. Focusing on this, the scrunts stand their ground, feinting and dodging as talons or maws come close and dart away.

The noise is quite dramatic. It's not the sort of sustained reverberation that could set off a slamite reaction, but it's echoing and ringing throughout the tunnel matrix. Any other groups of weird horrible dogbeasts nearby will probably come investigate the noise as a matter of some urgency.

Drekk (and Drekk only): from what you can figure out from their behaviour, these dogwolfrabbit things are behaving less like "haha food i am going to attack and eat you!" and more like "aargh gently caress go away! go away now! leave!". Communicating this to other scrunts will have to happen in the game thread, you won't be able to psychically pass it to them in the OCC thread.

it's initiative time. actions now occur in this order.

quote:

groin 16
drekk 15
dogs1 15
dogs2 13
grug 12
mung 12
bigdogs 12
murdelia 11
grumb 11
mutants 11
grimply 10
dogsquad3 8
gumbo 4
yurik 4

-----

scr7nt. everyone rolled p good on initiative except for... certain among you.

dogs moved, barked. they are not in melee range yet. charging requires two full empty spaces; you can move through other scrunts' squares, but not charge through them otherwise you'd barge them out of the way and they'd sulk.

initiative is rolled. extra dogsquads will be added to the initiative track as they activate.

grumb's combat onesie is under his clothing; synskin is skintight and there is no room for clothing under it. his trousers remain poised to fall down, but there is no chance of him exposing himself and prompting Fear tests.

more to the point, grumb's charsheet has not been updated with recent healing. initiative has therefore been calculated with his agility damage in place, and any more wounds taken before the sheet is updated will probably slap him straight into critical damage. sort your poo poo please! you should have been fully healed on the limo journey over!

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 4, 2016

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Drekk
The Tunnels
Malbrathia-3

Attack of the hosed Up Wolf Monsters

The horrific wolfbeasts snap, turn back, and repeat. Drekk observes this behavior briefly, and deduces that they are not attacking, but they're warning strikes, not unlike when two cyguanas run into each other, they put on displays to intimidate the other.

"Gumbo, Mung..." Drekk says, "These weird critters look like they're tryin' to scare us in the 'opes we leave. Relay this to the other scrunts." He then puts away his Photovisors, and takes out his Supression Shield, blue sparks dance along the metal as it powers on.

---
Drekk is telling Gumbo and Mung about the wolfthings' behavior, and he requests them to relay this information to the other scrunts. He also puts away his Photovisors and takes out the Suppression Shield (Quick Draw).

I also did an Intimidation test to try to scare the wolfthings.

50 Strength plus the +5 bonus from the Spiky Helm = 55.

Rolled a 68, ah feck THEY'RE COMING RIGHT AT US!!!!!.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Mungly Mung

Click for music

Mung was too hopped up on fighting fuel to be concerned with wolfrabbit diplomacy. He elbows his way past Gumbo and yells "HOWS THIS FER SCARY" before opening the fuel mixture and blasting a great gout of double-fire down the tunnel at the approaching creatures.

----

Completely ignoring relaying anything to anyone and instead reveling in bloodlust. Going to try to force myself to the other side of Gumbo and fire my flamey burncaster up the tunnel. Drekk isn't moving and I'm up for initiative before Gumbo, so I should be clear of friendly fire. Aiming for maximum wolfrabbit burnage. Remember that the flamethrower is rending/reliable when calculating damage.

• Locked thread