Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've never even seen a never-ending gun. Which doesn't really bother me since I'm playing a melee character but I'd be upset if I wasn't!

Can you find the recipe for nuka-grenades somewhere or are those exclusive to being looted of Atom loonies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

MisterBibs posted:

In unrelated news, I can't decide what to call this beauty. Not the best damage, but the amount of sustained fire I can throw at mid-range is fun as hell:

I'm leaning towards The Greater Good since using it is giving me flashbacks to playing Dawn Of War as the Tau.

Finding laser pistol and 10mm pistol versions of that was aaaaaawesome :getin:

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 20, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm at the beginning of the Mass Fusion quest, where it gives you the choice of allying with the Institute or becoming a permanent enemy of the Brotherhood. Is there a way to avoid making this choice? I really just want to ally with the Railroad, and be chill with the Brotherhood and, yknow, stop by for laundry and Fusion Cores and all that. But it seems like I can't progress on the Railroad quest of "continue working with Father" without making an enemy of the Brotherhood.

The Brotherhood want to kill all synths. The Railroad even have a meeting where they say they are intractable enemies and no chance of peace is possible. It is not possible to avoid making an enemy of the Brotherhood if you ally with the Railroad because the two are mortal enemies.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I'm at the beginning of the Mass Fusion quest, where it gives you the choice of allying with the Institute or becoming a permanent enemy of the Brotherhood. Is there a way to avoid making this choice? I really just want to ally with the Railroad, and be chill with the Brotherhood and, yknow, stop by for laundry and Fusion Cores and all that. But it seems like I can't progress on the Railroad quest of "continue working with Father" without making an enemy of the Brotherhood.

Yeah, those two absolutely don't get along, it's either one or the other.

Speaking of factions, when does the Minutemen story quest after Old Guns show up? I'm getting distressingly far into the plot without getting a new one from them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCYV8Y9Ywh8

I'm not sure anybody asked to see Conan O'Brien in a vault jumpsuit and a pip-boy, but there you go.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Is a never ending gun necessary? I have not once hand a problem with ammo.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Sneaky Fast posted:

Is a never ending gun necessary? I have not once hand a problem with ammo.

They don't have infinite ammo, they have infinite clip size, meaning they never need to reload.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

Wow, thats pretty damned interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

In unrelated news, I can't decide what to call this beauty. Not the best damage, but the amount of sustained fire I can throw at mid-range is fun as hell:

I'm leaning towards The Greater Good since using it is giving me flashbacks to playing Dawn Of War as the Tau.
How about "Can't See shiet" because the loving thing takes up 1/3 of the screen when equipped

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I have a problem. Nick Valentine has decided he's just too tired to move ever again. He still follows me around when I fast travel, for the most part, but he always lays on the ground as if he's injured. He's some how gotten stuck in his injured state and it's not like I can stimpack him or anything. How do I fix him?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Nitrox posted:

How about "Can't See shiet" because the loving thing takes up 1/3 of the screen when equipped

There was a mod for Skyrim that lowered your weapons so your character wasn't resting a warhammer against their face all the time, I eagerly await a similar mod for this.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Dang ok. Also are other people finding crazy amounts of stimpacks?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sneaky Fast posted:

I sat on like 100 of the fuckers, they're super-plentiful.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

coyo7e posted:

Okay so what sounded like a jet just whooshed over my head, didn't see anything, anybody have an idea wtf it might've been?

edit: oh it's a crashed something. wish I knew which way it went. :\
Okay figured it out, it was what I assumed it was, and the crash site is static. I had reloaded my quicksave (yay for static encounter seeds) and marked my map and landed almost right on top of it.

Just remember...

If it bleeds... We can kill it!

edit: FWIW, you can change the alien blaster ammo type to fusion cells with four points in Science!

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 20, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sneaky Fast posted:

Yes. The game shits stimpaks and they now effectively heal your limbs to full

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Institute stuff. I just got named as Father's successor, so why can;t I turn the institute into a free place or am I forced to keep it a bunch of sheltered dicks even if I take over? I wanna run back to the railroad and be all "Hey stop the plot to free all the synths, I'll take care of it myself in like, a week when I'm the boss." but I have a feeling with this writing that's not possible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Danaru posted:

There was a mod for Skyrim that lowered your weapons so your character wasn't resting a warhammer against their face all the time, I eagerly await a similar mod for this.

Thankfully it already exists!

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/522/

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

"The Energizer Bunny"?

I've got an endless bolt-action pipe gun, turned it into a backup-plan sniper. It had its place when I still ran off of .308 at a distance because I couldn't get ahold of much ammo for it at the time, but now that I use a .50, I find ammo more often than I use it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

So I have a problem. Nick Valentine has decided he's just too tired to move ever again. He still follows me around when I fast travel, for the most part, but he always lays on the ground as if he's injured. He's some how gotten stuck in his injured state and it's not like I can stimpack him or anything. How do I fix him?

Have you tried dismissing him and picking him back up later? I haven't had this issue, but maybe that's worth giving a shot.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Danaru posted:

Already exists!

Edit: this thread moves so loving fast it's unreal

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Without one point in the doctor thing that doubles their output you can REALLY burn through them quickly as you progress though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

If you play it at proper/normal FOV, it sits in the corner and doesn't block anything. Sure, its big, but not vision-blocking.

Reveilled posted:

Already exists!

Edit: this thread moves so loving fast it's unreal

It's bound to not happen no matter how much I suggest it (especially since I've got no idea who on the forums to suggest it to, I think Fallout 4 is being played enough (and this thread is moving so fast that stuff is simply being lost/repeated) that it deserves a temporary subforum. We did it for Saints Row, why not Fallout?

EDIT: A suggested a temporary Fallout subforum in the suggestions forum.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 20, 2015

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The Brotherhood want to kill all synths. The Railroad even have a meeting where they say they are intractable enemies and no chance of peace is possible. It is not possible to avoid making an enemy of the Brotherhood if you ally with the Railroad because the two are mortal enemies.
Oh, ok, so they're basically nazis. Makes this an easy choice then, thanks!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Started a new character and didn't find a pair of Kurt Cobain sunglasses in the first hour. I am devastated.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Oh, ok, so they're basically nazis. Makes this an easy choice then, thanks!
They're the Templars, hoarding knowledge, power, and wealth to themselves because they do not trust anyone else to not gently caress up if they had the same stuff. And the parallels are to slavery and the underground railroad in any case, not loving nazi germany :godwin: :downs:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's funny how this game makes it official that the Brotherhood have always been crazy morons, the whole Lyon thing was just a fluke, and that they're going to go the same way as the West Coast Brotherhood did. In fact, I get the feeling that the BoS got booted out of DC after Lyons died because no one could stand their pompous asses.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The Brotherhood are basically very hypocritical Luddites.

karees
Sep 9, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

The Brotherhood are basically very hypocritical Luddites.

But they have fancy guns and power armor, how can they possibly be Luddites? :lol:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
The big foundation lego blocks are great for watch towers (drat, I wanna get attacked more).

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 20, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Past the first 5 levels, essentially nothing was scarce for me, even on very hard. It really negates like half of the perks.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Elendil004 posted:

Institute stuff. I just got named as Father's successor, so why can;t I turn the institute into a free place or am I forced to keep it a bunch of sheltered dicks even if I take over? I wanna run back to the railroad and be all "Hey stop the plot to free all the synths, I'll take care of it myself in like, a week when I'm the boss." but I have a feeling with this writing that's not possible.

yeah no you can't free the synths as leader of the institute. You can make nice about making the world a better place and helping the commonwealth, but at the end of the day you're still being named the head of the League of Evil Scientists. If you're not going to support Evil Science you probably don't have much of a future as head of the Institute. Shaun Dadderson apparently has enough self-awareness to admit that the Institute is hosed up, but it says a gently caress-ton that amongst the pre-eminent scientists of the institute he couldn't find a single person he trusted enough to not gently caress everything up even worse and instead named you the next leader. And unlike previous slaveowners all these ones need to do to secede from their boss's authority is just find a way to deactivate your teleporter the next time you're out.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

karees posted:

But they have fancy guns and power armor, how can they possibly be Luddites? :lol:

They don't want anyone else to use technology, it's too dangerous, you see

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

In fact, I get the feeling that the BoS got booted out of DC after Lyons died because no one could stand their pompous asses.[/spoiler]

I've not heard it, but someone told me that there's some random comment that implies DC is basically a mafia territory, where the BOS demand whatever they want and nobody has the tech to fight back.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 20, 2015

Goobish
May 31, 2011

So can you kill the Institute single handedly, or do you need the help of a faction? Are the minutemen even an option or is it just between the Railroad and Brotherhood? If it's possible I'm just going to kill my son my drat self because none of this faction stuff is going my way.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

coyo7e posted:

They're the Templars, hoarding knowledge, power, and wealth to themselves because they do not trust anyone else to not gently caress up if they had the same stuff. And the parallels are to slavery and the underground railroad in any case, not loving nazi germany :godwin: :downs:

Yeah, I don't see how you get nazis from a group that violently purges anything and anyone that doesn't meet their narrow, arbitrary definition of humanity. I mean, they can't be nazis, they don't have swastikas on their armor or anything :downs:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its pretty weird to hear your spouse constantly remark about how beautiful you are when you're going out of your way to make a hideous character.

Goobish posted:

So can you kill the Institute single handedly, or do you need the help of a faction? Are the minutemen even an option or is it just between the Railroad and Brotherhood? If it's possible I'm just going to kill my son my drat self because none of this faction stuff is going my way.

You can cave your son's face in the moment you see him. Its kind of amusing since if you've been a violent psychopath the entire game, you could just murder him in a fit of rage before he even gets a chance to drop his big reveals.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The Pickman quest is awesome. A bobblehead and a magazine! Woo! This game is great but I need the loving charisma bobblehead to get the leadership perk. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

RC Cola posted:

The Pickman quest is awesome. A bobblehead and a magazine! Woo! This game is great but I need the loving charisma bobblehead to get the leadership perk. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Go here You need to start a bigass quest to actually get inside

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

RC Cola posted:

It's at The Insane Asylum. The quest chain that leads to it can be hard to start, you can randomly encounter a ghoul in Bunker Hill but he doesn't always show up and I'm not sure if there is another way to start it.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 20, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain what exactly a Silenced weapon actually does? Because I have 12 AGI, 4 points in sneak, and a leg armor that gives me a Stealthboy effect when I stand still. With a non-silenced weapon, I shoot someone from a football field away, he dies and everyone else goes on alert and starts looking for me, and takes about 30 seconds to get back to normal status. The same action with a silenced weapon seems to get exactly the same results. How is it supposed to confer an advantage? Even if they don't see him get shot, if they're anywhere around him they still all go to search me out. It sucks because even if they have no idea where I am, I lose the ability to get sneak attack criticals until I wait the minimum 30-60 seconds to go back to green.

Edit: One more question, are critical perks multiplicative with other critical perks, or additive? As in, if I have Ninja that gives me 2x sneak attack bonus, and better criticals that gives me 50% more critical damage, does a sneak attack do 2.5x more, or 3x more?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

RC Cola posted:

I wonder if thats a direct reference to the Lovecraft story?

• Locked thread