Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It seems like this gets mentioned any time Megatokyo gets discussed, and it truly boggles me considering that Rodney left thirteen years ago.
It's really obvious that without someone to reign it in. Fred just layers on the drama which get's pretty silly after a while.

quote:

Although that said it also boggles me that Megatokyo is still going at all.
I want it to end if only because I'm committed to seeing it through all the way. The later chapters are fine if you read them all in one go, but god help you if you actually read each page whenif they come out and try to pull together a story from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What were the jokes like

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Megatokyo is the punchline.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Brought To You By posted:

I want it to end if only because I'm committed to seeing it through all the way.

You have a sickness.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

I wonder how successful that comic would have been today if the author didn't have such a lovely work ethic.

I think it would've been over years ago. Either because (the more obvious answer) Fred would've brought the story to whatever conclusion he originally had planned(if he ever had a plan, I don't know, I've only read like, 20 pages of the comic, tops, and it seemed like a real clusterfuck but whatever moving on), or he would've succumbed, like so many other webcomic authors do, to burnout. He would've realized his story wasn't working out the way he liked or decided to move on to something else or just plain gotten bored with it and just quit had he been working at a steady pace. But going at a glacial pace lets him effectively be (massive finger-quotes here) "a writer" instead of "not really doing anything for months". I don't want to say updating at a snail's pace is actively making him fool himself into thinking his story's going somewhere but... no actually that's exactly what I'm doing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I want it to end if only because I'm committed to seeing it through all the way. The later chapters are fine if you read them all in one go, but god help you if you actually read each page whenif they come out and try to pull together a story from that.

You should have picked something milder, like Sluggy Freelance or General Protection Fault.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

What were the jokes like
Honestly not the best. Like HorseRenoir points out, Megatokyo was one of the earlier webcomics that was aimed at the geek/otaku crowd. Aside from helping to break new ground it's pretty mediocre all around.

The basic setup is two Americans, Piro and Largo (who are in no way surrogates for the writers Fred and Rodney) going to Japan for reasons I forget. Except the world operates on videogame logic so the first thing they do when they get there is beat a ninja at Mortal Kombat because someone forgot their passport. It started off as a more gag-a-day comic with Largo being this insane l33t speaking person who seems to be one of the few people who treats Godzilla destroying the downtown area as more than a minor inconvenience. And Piro who is this moody, wishy washy artist who likes Visual Novels way too much and acts as the straight man for the duo. There is continuity to the series but it's not until the second or third chapter where Rodney leaves and the jokes get toned down and things get played straight more often.

Pavlov posted:

You have a sickness.
I got on this train over a decade ago and I refuse to get off until I get to the end of the line. :colbert:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

And Piro who is this moody, wishy washy artist who likes Visual Novels way too much and acts as the straight man for the duo.

I assume this is the one who consistently fails to score with the sexbot

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Honestly not the best. Like HorseRenoir points out, Megatokyo was one of the earlier webcomics that was aimed at the geek/otaku crowd. Aside from helping to break new ground it's pretty mediocre all around.

The basic setup is two Americans, Piro and Largo (who are in no way surrogates for the writers Fred and Rodney) going to Japan for reasons I forget. Except the world operates on videogame logic so the first thing they do when they get there is beat a ninja at Mortal Kombat because someone forgot their passport. It started off as a more gag-a-day comic with Largo being this insane l33t speaking person who seems to be one of the few people who treats Godzilla destroying the downtown area as more than a minor inconvenience. And Piro who is this moody, wishy washy artist who likes Visual Novels way too much and acts as the straight man for the duo. There is continuity to the series but it's not until the second or third chapter where Rodney leaves and the jokes get toned down and things get played straight more often.

To the best of my memory, the two were visiting E3 in the first storyline, and then got on the wrong plane while trying to get home. That's how they ended up in Japan.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I assume this is the one who consistently fails to score with the sexbot

I stopped reading years ago, but I know Piro never tried to get with Ping. She was never a romantic interest.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry for turning this thread into the Megatokyo memorial but it's super interesting to me because I knew many people in the 2000-2007 period who were SO into it. It's like a time capsule of a certain American otaku identity. Like, even the creator drama.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
+ I'm not going to read that weird penciled crap

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
What would shake you up more, though; a time when Megatokyo is done or when Order of the Stick is?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

What would shake you up more, though; a time when Megatokyo is done or when Order of the Stick is?

Sluggy freelance ending.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Sluggy freelance ending.
It is currently in the 3-year Sluggy Freelance endgame.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Like, in-story years?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Order of the Stick is allegedly towards the end of the story, though given the author's health problems who knows when it will actually end. Also it doesn't suck as hard as Megatokyo so there's that

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

It's going to feel weird as poo poo to me when both OOTS and Dr. McNinja are finished. They're the last two story-form webcomics I follow with any regularity, and two of the only handful I read these days at all. Compared to back in like 2002 when I read half of Keenspot's lineup and a bunch of independent ones as well. (Forever missing Checkerboard Nightmare.)

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 19, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

hasn't it been in that for a few years already?

also, has artist said what he's going to do after it ends?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hogge Wild posted:

Vanish off the face of the planet

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

Work for hire

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

majormonotone posted:

Order of the Stick is allegedly towards the end of the story, though given the author's health problems who knows when it will actually end. Also it doesn't suck as hard as Megatokyo so there's that

Yeah, iirc it's in the middle (maybe 3/4ths through?) of the 2nd to last book right now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Resume

1998 - 2015 Sluggy Freelance.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
This is your decennial reminder that the web comic Help Desk is still going.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

majormonotone posted:

Also it doesn't suck as hard as Megatokyo so there's that

Have you ever seen a page of OotS?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can we have a separate thread for piddling crap that you're only still reading out of inertia?

Three webcomics threads - the good, the bad and the tedious.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

qntm posted:

From the associated patreon:

"Take a comic book, remove all pictures, add eight to ten thousand words, repeat monthly. That is the basic idea of Curveball"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Classic weeb.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

I assume he'll start another comic.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mind over Matter posted:

It's going to feel weird as poo poo to me when both OOTS and Dr. McNinja are finished. They're the last two story-form webcomics I follow with any regularity, and two of the only handful I read these days at all. Compared to back in like 2002 when I read half of Keenspot's lineup and a bunch of independent ones as well. (Forever missing Checkerboard Nightmare.)

Have you tried Gunnerkrigg Court?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

qntm posted:

...This is User Friendly. When did he rename it?

Glad to know somethings never change though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Didn't he get in trouble for stealing jokes or something?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Nope, different comics by different people in different art styles. (I'll be generous and not put scare quotes around art.)

Help Desk is more passive-aggressive, though; look at that "endorsement" sidebar.

Tunicate posted:

Didn't he get in trouble for stealing jokes or something?

I don't think so, I don't remember seeing any joke in User Friendly.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 19, 2015

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Can we have a separate thread for piddling crap that you're only still reading out of inertia?

Three webcomics threads - the good, the bad and the tedious.

Well there are no good webcomics so this is the tedious thread.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

anti-magic posted:

Well there are no good webcomics so this is the tedious thread.

Lookout. This guy thinks he is better than comics on the Internet. Thanks for your cool post dude. Maybe you can enjoy some giant media conglomerate approved entertainment. I heard of this cool thing called "Star Wars" might be up your alley, friend.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

neogeo0823 posted:

Have you tried Gunnerkrigg Court?

I have not! I've heard of it but never read it. I'm absolutely not saying there are no other good comics out there. Just that I don't read very many anymore. Speaking of which, Help Desk is one of those I read over a decade ago and it's surreal to see it still going.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

Nope, different comics by different people in different art styles. (I'll be generous and not put scare quotes around art.)

Help Desk is more passive-aggressive, though; look at that "endorsement" sidebar.

Huh....honestly couldn't tell from looking back a few strips.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Let's all start reading Sluggy Freelance ironically, then get really into it unironically, and appreciate the adventures of Torg, Zoe, Riff, Gwynn, Bun-Bun, Sasha, Kiki, Aylee, and everyone else in this nifty comic.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Let's all start reading Sluggy Freelance ironically, then get really into it unironically, and appreciate the adventures of Torg, Zoe, Riff, Gwynn, Bun-Bun, Sasha, Kiki, Aylee, and everyone else in this nifty comic.

Real Talk, back when it was still current and not a fairly early part of a multi decade comic, I actually really loved the That Which Redeems storyline for everything it did and tried to do. Never felt as engrossed with anything that came after it and all of the Bun-Bun stuff was just annoying.

I have not read it in maybe a decade, but I'm sure it still holds up!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Real Talk, back when it was still current and not a fairly early part of a multi decade comic, I actually really loved the That Which Redeems storyline for everything it did and tried to do. Never felt as engrossed with anything that came after it and all of the Bun-Bun stuff was just annoying.

I have not read it in maybe a decade, but I'm sure it still holds up!

:agreed:

Every now and again Sluggy did some really cool things in between general silliness and outdated parodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

It's really obvious that without someone to reign it in. Fred just layers on the drama which get's pretty silly after a while.

The worst part of Megatokyo is I keep hoping Fred will turn it around. Like....he'll reach a state of self awareness and suddenly have an interesting story about weeaboos. I think that's part of why people praise the early part of the comic, the last time I went through the early strips I kept thinking, "This had the potential to be good."

• Locked thread