Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Here; I made a nice chart for anybody who finds somebody complaining about Syrian refugees.

Based off of the statistics found here:
http://www.factcheck.org/2015/09/stretching-facts-on-syrian-refugees/

edit*
Here is one with more figures.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't know, I've learned over the years that "conservatives" are pretty much terrified of anything that's not a straight white man over the age of 45. I really don't understand how someone could live like that, day in, and day out, just terrified of everything around them

Guns apparently help.

Edit:

And prescription painkillers.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Pretty sure democrat is code for black in this case.

Oh, so she saw Bobby Jindal on TV and thought he was a black guy.

90% odds that's the case. My aunt once said he should run with Hillary, assuming he was a Democrat and probably also a doctor since he's Indian and lots of the doctors in the rural Carolinas are.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Guns apparently help.

Edit:

And prescription painkillers.

Well, yeah, that day when all those urban ferals come crawling out of the city and the Mexicans come to take our last job, they'll be there to defend us, especially when the feds come to take are guns

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ratbert90 posted:

Here; I made a nice chart for anybody who finds somebody complaining about Syrian refugees.

We don't take too kindly to those kind of readable graphics around here.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

If Tamir Rice was seen as a valid enough threat to shoot 2 seconds into the "confrontation" with him, then I'm guessing refugees aged 12+ will still be seen as a threat.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If Tamir Rice was seen as a valid enough threat to shoot 2 seconds into the "confrontation" with him, then I'm guessing refugees aged 12+ will still be seen as a threat.

I fixed it for you:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I hope people aren't too far gone to change their minds after seeing that chart.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

"It only took 19 hijackers to pull off 9/11! We can't take the chance and let even one in!" is the response I got. Well, not to the chart specifically but I imagine they'd still have said the same thing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

"It only took 19 hijackers to pull off 9/11! We can't take the chance and let even one in!" is the response I got.

You are literally turning away women and children; many of whom are under the age of 12 to go back to a war torn hell hole.

If you want to stop terrorism, you welcome those people with open arms so they really do think we are the greatest people in the world.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Kit Walker posted:

"It only took 19 hijackers to pull off 9/11! We can't take the chance and let even one in!" is the response I got. Well, not to the chart specifically but I imagine they'd still have said the same thing.

It only took 4 white people to kill 160+ in Oklahoma City, one white man in public is one too much! :tinfoil:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Rick_Hunter posted:

It only took 4 white people to kill 160+ in Oklahoma City, one white man in public is one too much! :tinfoil:

White VETERANS. Are we being too hasty in allowing soldiers to return to the US after combat deployments? Maybe we should require the Secretary of Homeland Security to personally assure that each returning soldier is not a threat.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Rick_Hunter posted:

I tried to use this analogy yesterday:

We should probably stop letting white people buy guns because they could shoot up a school.

The guy just froze up and said "your analogy is bad. You can't compare them to terrorists."

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

LEGO? Cats? Vikings? Crafting? Yes, please!
I think I just need to replace my facebook bookmark with

for a while. I'm pretty sure I won't miss much.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

I tried to use this analogy yesterday:

We should probably stop letting white people buy guns because they could shoot up a school.

The guy just froze up and said "your analogy is bad. You can't compare them to terrorists."

Yet another case of 'The only moral terrorism is my terrorism'.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Just bomb them when they're all walking in the desert Obummer you dang idiot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My uncle just shared this well-known Photoshop on Facebook with absolutely no intention of parody:

I think I need to quit Facebook. It's impossible for me not to comment when he and other family members do this and eventually I'm just going to post something mean and lovely.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

My uncle just shared this well-known Photoshop on Facebook with absolutely no intention of parody:

I think I need to quit Facebook. It's impossible for me not to comment when he and other family members do this and eventually I'm just going to post something mean and lovely.

It would certainly make all your family gatherings interesting. Have you thought about playing the long game and just constantly making fun of them to their faces with a smile? Drives people up the wall.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
My brain and heart are broken to irreconcilable tiny little pieces in the face of social media's response to the refugee crisis. Apparently it's not a racist remark to say that Syrians are all terrorists. The US has a weak vetting process and we would be rubber-stamping terrorists into our country. Obama is a secret Muslim and this is his doing. Only Christians and Jews should be tolerated in the US as a function of safety.

For every response trying to tackle these misconceptions there are a dozen more that bow to fear and xenophobia. I can't do it anymore.

FB User posted:

I know, I know.. Bring me your tired, bring me your poor. Oh hell no. The tired and poor of our forefathers never wanted to blow American's away with bombs strapped to them... And that's all I've got to say about that.

Another FB User posted:

I can guarantee you that we have no idea what destruction is to come. And you can direct all of the credit towards our evil, AMERICAN HATING, Muslim president. God have mercy on us.

Make the pain stop. Alcohol can only do so much to ease my torment. All of this bullshit makes me want to surrender my ideals entirely. gently caress.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

19 o'clock posted:

"I know, I know.. Bring me your tired, bring me your poor. Oh hell no. The tired and poor of our forefathers never wanted to blow American's away with bombs strapped to them... And that's all I've got to say about that."
Hey look, it's the exact same stupid poo poo they were saying about that group back then.

e: i'm the anarcy sign

Donowitz
Feb 26, 2012

Facebook posts by certain individuals are just becoming worse and worse as time goes on.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Wow, they do think US system of assessing the refugees and immigrants wanting citizenship is just looking at the newcomer and stamp "Yes" on their passport.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No, they think Obama personally asks them if they are a radical Muslim and if they hate America before stamping "Yes" on the fake Syrian passport.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I keep hearing the "HOMELESS VETS DON'T GET CARED FOR LIKE THE SYRIAN IMMIGRANTS"-talking point come up a lot lately on the wingnut station.

I'm frustrated by it. The very people that these idiots probably praise all the time are the ones that went out of their way to actually a.) cut veterans funding b.) block any sort of bill that would provide funding for veterans.

When you keep saying the "WE NEED TO TAKE CARE OF ARE TROOPS!" line, how about loving following through with it? These people never do. They just sit around and bitch about any sort of minority getting some form of human dignity while they continue to let the "TROOPS" they so value get poo poo on as well.

And the GOP never gets called on it. They get to wrap themselves around in an American flag call themselves and their rear end in a top hat constituents "PATRIOTS" while they give tax breaks to the rich.

I loving hate this country.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

I keep hearing the "HOMELESS VETS DON'T GET CARED FOR LIKE THE SYRIAN IMMIGRANTS"-talking point come up a lot lately on the wingnut station.

I'm frustrated by it. The very people that these idiots probably praise all the time are the ones that went out of their way to actually a.) cut veterans funding b.) block any sort of bill that would provide funding for veterans.

When you keep saying the "WE NEED TO TAKE CARE OF ARE TROOPS!" line, how about loving following through with it? These people never do. They just sit around and bitch about any sort of minority getting some form of human dignity while they continue to let the "TROOPS" they so value get poo poo on as well.

And the GOP never gets called on it. They get to wrap themselves around in an American flag call themselves and their rear end in a top hat constituents "PATRIOTS" while they give tax breaks to the rich.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Your partyOur country is hosed hahahahahahahahaha.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Cross-posting from the UKMT:

[/quote]Fifty refugees arrived in Paisley on Tuesday, mostly older women in poor health and vulnerable children I was told, by someone who is placed to know about such things.

They've been security vetted, twice, some spent several years in camps and now that they are in Scotland, they'll make up an "economy crippling" 0.06 per cent of the local population while housed in their temporary shelters which have not be equipped with the likes of TVs, nevermind PS4s and hot tubs.

But those minor details didn't stop a wave of racists calling for the pilot to fly their plane into the River Clyde, or for the four-year-old terrorists to be sent back to where they came from to be killed or raped because "they aren't our problem".

So, the PDE took screenshots of all the bile, and printed it alongside photos and full names of those responsible in today's paper.

So far, there's been half a dozen legal threats, an office visit and at least one person has been sacked from their job...

If you fancy a read:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/vile-taunts-ignorant-bile-being-6860662[/quote]

gently caress these people. I hope they all get fired.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
If this is a thing that happened a day ago why have only a few small right leaning websites picked this up?

http://rightwingnews.com/immigration/breaking-8-muslim-refugees-arrested-for-being-isis-members-this-is-chilling/

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Not right wing media, but it is related to the Syrian crisis, and it's way too awesome not to share, especially in light of what we've already been seeing here:

Just a reminder that not everyone's a bigoted shithead. :3:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

FuzzySkinner posted:

The best part: We're actually doing a pretty good job at getting homes to homeless veterans.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I live in Phoenix so I can just tell them to clean up their own city before they whine that I need to do more.
It's not that hard of a problem to solve, you just have to convince your local government to house homeless people with no strings attached. In the end, it's less expensive.

I posted this earlier in the thread, and I think I'm just going to repeatedly post in Facebook every time I see it:

I've noticed a really weird debate technique that I've become more and more aware of.

Person A will say something like "Issue X is important, we should care about issue X"

Then person B will come in and say "Well, what about issue Y, why doesn't anyone care about issue Y?"

Now, there are two forms this takes, the first is a little more tolerable: Person B is actively involved in issue Y and is trying to raise attention to their own cause. I can live with that.

The more insidious version is when person B actually doesn't give a darn about issue Y (or in some variations, Y is already widely accepted as important). They just don't want people to talk about issue X and there is a social cost to being honest about their true feelings so they just change the subject.

It's frustrating because in a lot of cases, everyone cares about Y as well, but it's not an either/or situation. I'm allowed to care about about multiple things and I don't have to discuss them on your schedule.

I've seen it in minimum wage discussions. "Oooooh, how can you care about someone working in fast food when the base pay of an E-1 in the military is lower?"

"Ooooh, how can you be upset about a police officer shooting a black child when statistically, most murders are between people who live in the same neighborhood (surprise, surprise, the neighborhoods are racially homogeneous).

"Oooooo, how can you call Martin Luther King a hero, he never even jumped on a hand grenade, let's talk about war heroes instead!"

I'm tired of this tactic. Just be honest and I'll at least respect you for having a little integrity in your opinion, even if I disagree.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

The way I typically handle it is to point out you typically only hear 'Take care of our own!', 'All lives matter!', and 'We need better mental health!' in response to refugees, BLM, and gun control respectively. It's just a distraction, they don't give a poo poo about those issues, like you said. They won't vote for politicians that would nationalize mental health care or implement policies to 'take care of our own', and they won't go out with 'All lives matter!' signs when an unarmed black kid gets murdered. These people are generally completely insincere in their handwringing.

That or semi-facetiously agree with them. "I agree, we should take care of our own. I expect you'll be voting for left-wing politicians who support social safety nets too?"

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
A bunch of people I know have been happily sharing this incredibly cringeworthy video of some serious-looking girl ranting about ISIS. Highlights are her literally saying that America desires "Islamic blood" (implying OBUMMER won't let us spill it) and a tasteful quote from her father in the last 30 seconds of the video.

I was impressed with her command of a thesaurus.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Poizen Jam posted:

The way I typically handle it is to point out you typically only hear 'Take care of our own!', 'All lives matter!', and 'We need better mental health!' in response to refugees, BLM, and gun control respectively. It's just a distraction, they don't give a poo poo about those issues, like you said. They won't vote for politicians that would nationalize mental health care or implement policies to 'take care of our own', and they won't go out with 'All lives matter!' signs when an unarmed black kid gets murdered. These people are generally completely insincere in their handwringing.

That or semi-facetiously agree with them. "I agree, we should take care of our own. I expect you'll be voting for left-wing politicians who support social safety nets too?"

Feel free to use part or all of my post, without citation, for your own use. I'm very interested in forwarded political email so it'd be exciting to one day see my own words come back to me through a horrifying game of telephone.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Feel free to use part or all of my post, without citation, for your own use. I'm very interested in forwarded political email so it'd be exciting to one day see my own words come back to me through a horrifying game of telephone.

I actually made a friend of a friend stop responding to his friend's (my friend's) posts because he constantly pointed out Issue Y after Issue X would get brought up.

The most recent one was about the Starbucks red cups and this tool comes in complaining about how orthodox jews/muslims are never brought up. I didn't get him to change his mind, I just got him to go away. It's not an ideal victory but it's somewhat of a win.

My friend who posts about social issues is always on the same side as me such as BLM, the refugees, Americans being humongous tools to the rest of the world, etc, but he has a veritable stable of friends that are just the most outlandish right wing nut jobs. I've asked him why he keeps them as friends and he's said he'd rather them be talking to him than out in the world messing things up.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
At first I felt pretty good that everyone on my Facebook friends list (even the ones that are fairly conservative Republicans) were in complete support of the US accepting refugees and saying anyone who was against them coming here was a hateful rear end in a top hat.

Then family members and friends of those friends started commenting on those posts...

quote:

Then why aren't the majority of the refugees who are strong, young men staying in their country and fighting to protect it and their families? They have abandoned their wives and children!

quote:

So they leave their wives and children helpless, in a place where the enemy will most likely rape and kill them?

"We can't help EVERY refugee so it's pointless to help any of them."

quote:

Did we have this furor to take in the Tibetans during the Tibetan genocide? Did we take in the Rwandans or the Somalis or various other groups who have been victims of genecidal wars in recent years? Did our government answer the call to take in the Yazidis? How is this group of refugees so different, more special, than those others? You may say because these are the ones before us now needing help, but you discount all the other current peoples around the world who are being displaced. It is because these refugees have media attention that we have focused on them, not because of their greater need. The truth is there is no time when somewhere in this world people are not being brutalized and displaced. Just as you cannot personally take in every homeless person to your own home. Our country cannot answer the needs of every displaced person or peoples across the globe. What I don't understand is why this discussion revolves around only two choices, bringing the refugees to our country, or not. There are other alternatives, ones that would actually be more amenable to the refugees themselves. Why are we not discussing them?

"I don't know why refugees want to come here but it definitely isn't to escape war and violence."

quote:

And the percentage is really around 70. But the real issue is, MOST of these people are coming, not for asylum, not because they fear for their life, but for some other yet unknown motive.

This one was in response to the Darrin Bell "Bad Samaritan" comic someone posted.

quote:

What a sick liberal picture, no one can misrepresent truth like they do...

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I have yet to see a single verifiable source for the claim that a majority of the refugees are young men. Where are they getting this claim from?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Poizen Jam posted:

I have yet to see a single verifiable source for the claim that a majority of the refugees are young men. Where are they getting this claim from?

They've seen videos and pictures of groups of young men. Therefore it's all young men.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Poizen Jam posted:

It's a deliberate piece of propaganda, so it was created by right-wing intellectuals and media personalities and deliberately pushed by them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umqvYhb3wf4

This entire video is great, but the first few minutes kinda sums it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

They've seen videos and pictures of groups of young men. Therefore it's all young men.

Wait until you see the picture that's going around of a young man holding a head, and a young refugee, and people assuming they're the same person when they don't really even look all that similar.