Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

You don't need to "unskew" the polls right now to say that Trump looks like a lot of candidates that polled quite high in November/December but still crashed and burned either before voting started or after IA/NH.

Except those candidates didn't say the poo poo Trump did and not only walk away unscathed but gain ground in polling. They love him because he doesn't give a drat how wrong or hosed up his talk is, he wills that poo poo into existence. Break NAFTA, levy tariffs against Mexican imports, and build/staff a 1,933-mile long border wall with the revenue? Might as well go full :newt: and make plans for Moonbase Zoo. Decimate revenue with a busted-rear end tax plan but somehow rebuild the VA and make some kind of national health system? He's huffing Arthur :laffo:'s farts. Everything he's got is pure crazytalk, but it's crazytalk with an unshakeable conviction that makes the old racist biddies of the GOP base sploosh in their rascals so hard it electrocutes them. It makes the leatherfaced old harpies from suburban Ohio in Arizona shriek so loudly with joy that it shatters their cabinet full of Kinkade collectible dinner plates. It has next to nothing to do with what he's saying and nearly everything to do with how he's saying it. He's the unconstrained, unrebuffed avatar of reaganhideen conservative ideology. Imagine Weird Science, except it's those two grouchy theater muppets at a computer designing the perfect candidate and what comes strutting out of the closet is 2016 election Trump. He's the counterfactual fantasy all of history's sick bastards dream about, the Kaiser who didn't surrender on the cusp of victory in 1918, the Hirohito who fought to the last, the Nixon who didn't sign the Paris peace accord and the Ford who sent troops back in. They finally have a way of making lies into truth through sheer volume and they're going to ride that white whale straight to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DemeaninDemon posted:

He won't be the president.

People were saying that he wouldn't be the nominee over the summer, and here we are, with him quite possibly having not merely a non-zero, but perhaps even a double-digit probability of getting the nomination. And that probability seems to still be increasing, little by little, every day he stays in the race.

I guess what I'm saying is...

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  AND  FACE  TO  BLOODSHED :unsmigghh:

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 20, 2015

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

tsa posted:

Not really a surprise, for me at least. If they push the issue and he vetos the bill and something happens it's the rights election to lose.

Wait, what?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well President Trump scares the poo poo out of me marginally less than President Cruz, so he's got that going for him. Though the idea of them being running mates legitimately terrifies me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

We let in Refugees

One of the refugees is a actual terrorist and with you being able to buy guns from vending machines he shoots people

Trump is elected Emperor for life

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Hollismason posted:

We let in Refugees

One of the refugees is a actual terrorist and with you being able to buy guns from vending machines he shoots people

I'm surprised that the GOP hasn't made hay out of the Boston bombing given that they were Chechen asylees (a form of refugees).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...187f_story.html

At the time of the Boston bombing there were less than 200 Chechen immigrants in the US: http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/04/there-are-almost-no-chechens-in-the-united-states-heres-why/275195/ and two of them attacked.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Late, but Hilarious. They're one of the worst run of all the major healthcare companies, and their CEO makes about 3 times as much as his competitors. (About 60million v 20million per year). I'd grease up the ol' guillotine but I'm too busy rolling my eyes and making the jerkoff motion.

Could have used this info earlier. Already renewed back with United. gently caress how do I healthcare. Am I really suppose to compare 100 page PDFs for different companies?

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
Not to dehumanize Mexican immigrants, but if we have negative migration of a group that handle some really poo poo jobs, there must be something seriously wrong with this country.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Hollismason posted:

We let in Refugees

Not Emperor. The newly created title of Lord President.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PhazonLink posted:

Am I really suppose to compare 100 page PDFs for different companies?

It's like making a character build and requiring system mastery. For your life.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

JT Jag posted:

The Jaguars winning last week is probably the only thing that kept me from going into a massive depressive spiral. Hopefully the facade can continue tonight!
Don't worry everyone, my facade of happiness has been maintained, allowing me to stare unblinkingly into the abyss that is today's politics without feeling the requisite depression for at least the next 10 days

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

PhazonLink posted:

Could have used this info earlier. Already renewed back with United. gently caress how do I healthcare. Am I really suppose to compare 100 page PDFs for different companies?

The Glorious Free Market at work. Don't know as much about healthcare as the accountants that spend their entire professional lives figuring this stuff out? Don't understand it as much as the lawyers who spent years fine tuning every single last word of the agreement to screw you as hard as possible? Can't afford to hire your own accountants and lawyers?

Shoulda bootstrapped yourself into being born richer, better luck next time.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How are the current general election polls looking for a prospective Hillary vs Trump race? Because Trump's popularity and success based on literal fascist principles is making me want to literally drink myself to death.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

Link? I don't what subforum that is

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737765

Join us!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How are the current general election polls looking for a prospective Hillary vs Trump race? Because Trump's popularity and success based on literal fascist principles is making me want to literally drink myself to death.

RCP average has Clinton up by 4.5: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

He's the nomination frontrunner, but Trump is still the worst Republican for the general.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 20, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hillary would crush him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Do people figure that when Bernie most likely dies out Hillary will gain most of his supporters' enthusiasm and support, bringing her number higher? I could imagine that a lot of Bernie supporters don't care to think about supporting Clinton at all at the moment but would do so when push comes to shove.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do people figure that when Bernie most likely dies out Hillary will gain most of his supporters' enthusiasm and support, bringing her number higher? I could imagine that a lot of Bernie supporters don't care to think about supporting Clinton at all at the moment but would do so when push comes to shove.

Post-nomination consolidation would happen to both sides.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mitt Romney posted:

Post-nomination consolidation would happen to both sides.

But who stands to gain most from that? Would the remaining Jeb!, Rubio, and other establishment supporters who aren't completely psychotic really go for Trump or just stay home and start dreaming of 2020? Not to mention any conservative Latinos who I can't imagine ever voting for him.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nah, they will be thinking of 2018 midterms and win those over and over again.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I'm not even surprised that trump and the republicans can find support for the refugee bill and this talk of a 'registry' of Muslims in America, although to be honest the NSA probably has a multitude of files on this topic. But it shows the effect that Hollywood has done decades of propagation to mentally prepare the voting public for this kind of thing without any significant retort and make them accept it piece by piece. So I'm not surprised people are willing to accept this insanity. I just hope reasonable people win the day.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 20, 2015

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

But who stands to gain most from that? Would the remaining Jeb!, Rubio, and other establishment supporters who aren't completely psychotic really go for Trump or just stay home and start dreaming of 2020? Not to mention any conservative Latinos who I can't imagine ever voting for him.

I think both sides would gain equally from supporter consolidation but Trump is a hugely flawed general election candidate. If he won the nomination I think we might see a wave election approaching 8%+ giving the senate and house back to the Democratic party.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I don't really buy into the idea that the Republicans don't care about winning the presidency. Even if they control the majority of the states and retain the Senate they'll lose SCOTUS, 12 years of federal judicial appointments. and 12 years of executive branching. Even if nationally they would be still fine and strong I think it would trigger a serious crisis within the party. Especially considering the emotional reaction of a Hillary presidency. If Trump is the nominee :stonklol: some big money might jump ship but Trump would still have enough of a backing to run a world class campaign. Hillary doesn't need more money anyways, the presidential election is already saturated. Trump would not lose by more than 5, imo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Mitt Romney posted:

I think both sides would gain equally from supporter consolidation but Trump is a hugely flawed general election candidate. If he won the nomination I think we might see a wave election approaching 8%+ giving the senate and house back to the Democratic party.

That's way too optimistic for me.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I don't know what's going on in this thread but I bet its cool and hip and I want to be "with it" so now I'm posting here too.

Vote green party!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I don't know what's going on in this thread but I bet its cool and hip and I want to be "with it" so now I'm posting here too.

Vote green party!

We're not cool and hip in this thread. We're preparing for a hard life in fascist America under Lord President Trump.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Lycus posted:

We're not cool and hip in this thread. We're preparing for a hard life in fascist America under Lord President Trump.

Isn't every president is just a businessman at heart? What's the big deal with this guy?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

It's not like a president is going to be any less corrupt than every other one there's ever been so I don't really get it anymore. :shrug:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Matoi Ryuko posted:

It's not like a president is going to be any less corrupt than every other one there's ever been so I don't really get it anymore. :shrug:

You poor innocent summer child.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I hope you're like 17 years old.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hope you're like 17 years old.

No I'm old and stuff.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Do you guys vote?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Voting is for sad losers

So, yeah. Even when it's just me and a bus load of retirees at the polling place

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A Bag of Milk posted:

Anyone else sometimes think too hard about everyone taking Trump seriously...Like, letting the true madness and derangement of our reality wash over you in waves?

A better question is, do I ever not?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I want to sell "I Voted"-style merchandise outside of polling places.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'm not worried about corruption. I'm worried about the internment camps for refugees, databases for muslims, and secret police deportation squads rounding up Mexicans.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

This has already been commented on multiple times, but it can't be overstated:

:gop: What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck? What country do I live in anymore? Is this real life?

Jesus loving Christ. :negative:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 20, 2015

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I'm not worried about those things. I'm too busy for that...maybe you should get a hobby.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Unfortunately, my hobby is caring a lot about politics. I'd probably be happier carving poo poo out of wood or whatever, but here I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I'm not worried about those things. I'm too busy for that...maybe you should get a hobby.

First they came for the Unions, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a member.

Then they came for the RINOs, and I did not speak out—
Because it was fun to watch them go at each other.

Then they came for the Muslims, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Muslim.

Then they came for the animes—and there was no one left to speak for me.

• Locked thread