Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am pretty new to this app, but I am not getting a forum refresh when using the app. I have the sidebar enabled, but I always need to manually pull down to refresh the thread listings, is this by design?

I am also having the youtube "problem"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Just released 3.8, it might fix your issue so give it a go!

mycophobia posted:

I realized this has been asked before but is there any possibility of FYAD flags being added? They would enhance my experience with this app greatly.

Will be in next version (3.9).

Mastigophoran posted:

edit - it is of course 15 minutes after posting this that I notice that the app doesn't honour posts/page user settings. I am having a bad day...

That's a conscious choice for (admittedly debatable) reasons. If we ever end up revamping that part of the app I expect we'll relax that constraint.

noirstronaut posted:

what happened to the TestFlight beta

No idea. Hopefully it fixes itself with the next round of betas.

Kazy posted:

Cancelling a preview crashes the app for me. Using SwiftKey And am on 9.2b2

This issue has so far baffled everyone who's taken a look at it. It's on the list though, hopefully someone has a brainwave.

the yeti posted:

Minor UI nitpick: when the forums return a database error (as they have a couple times this morning) when moving to the next page with the > button, the db error pops up, but the page count still increments as if I've changed pages successfully. Pulling up to change page doesn't change the count, seemingly.

Will add it to the list!

SLOSifl posted:

Bug report, current release.

Sometimes a previously expanded forum will display the expanded - as opposed to v. It will be collapsed in the thread list. Quickly pressing the expand/collapse touch point three times (expand, collapse, expand) will cause a crash to springboard.

Edit: to avoid any hypocrisy-

Expected result: does not crash to springboard

I really gotta fix this. Will tentatively be in the next version, 3.9.

Fedule posted:

Oddity:

Sometimes bans aren't linked to any specific post and are done by admins through the admin panel. When you tap on one of these in the Lepers tab in Awful nothing happens but the entry gets stuck highlighted and it looks like something's broken. So, like, that's a minor UI issue I guess.

Now on the list, thanks!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

This has happened to me for a while, even did it on my old iPhone 5, and another iPhone 6 Plus

It usually only happens with photos that are shot with my phone and unedited. If I edit the photo in any way I don't get the error.

Although sometimes a photo is uploaded without error regardless of whether or not I've edited it.

Interesting re: photo edits. I'ma write that down, might help me fix it!

kri kri posted:

I am pretty new to this app, but I am not getting a forum refresh when using the app. I have the sidebar enabled, but I always need to manually pull down to refresh the thread listings, is this by design?

I am also having the youtube "problem"

Not by design and should be better in the just-released version. Ditto YouTube "problem".

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Thread list auto-loading is sweet and toggle to gif is awesome, but doesn't work for all gifs, the overlay is there but it plays regardless. Also my bookmarks now have a spinning loading icon at the bottom of the list that won't go away.

E: just refreshed a couple of times and it vanished.

Liked the patch notes and the new pull to refresh icon. :)

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
This didn't seem to fix the YouTube issue, I'm afraid.

Bug report: after hitting "scroll to end", I can pull up to go to the next page. Have to scroll up a bit first.

But I appreciate the update and hard work!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

This didn't seem to fix the YouTube issue, I'm afraid.

Did you change the setting?

Maybe it should default the other way.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
D'oh, didn't realise there was a setting. The default setting is basically useless for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think that's probably the most common feeling. Pokey, want to flip the default?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

toggle to gif is awesome, but doesn't work for all gifs, the overlay is there but it plays regardless.

This is a known issue with GIFs that were uploaded to Imgur more than a couple years ago. I haven't figured out how to fix it, but I've only come across two or three posts where it's happened in the month or so since I started working on the feature, so I'm hoping it's an edge case that we can ignore. Definitely let me know if you come across it more often.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

This is a known issue with GIFs that were uploaded to Imgur more than a couple years ago. I haven't figured out how to fix it, but I've only come across two or three posts where it's happened in the month or so since I started working on the feature, so I'm hoping it's an edge case that we can ignore. Definitely let me know if you come across it more often.
Ahh okay. Yeah there are way more gifs around that work just great with the toggle and ones that don't work seem to be pretty rare overall. Either way as is the feature is fantastic and makes gif-heavy threads super smooth, reduces loading times and battery usage significantly it would seem. I wish I could get something like that for Safari too.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Since updating Awful crashes to Springboard on launch. I've tried removing and reinstalling the app; it'll stay stable and let me log in, then immediately crash (and crash on launch again after that again). This is on an iPad Pro.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Force touch is great! Nice update.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I love the 3D Touch stuff!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This is unrelated to the update, but is there a possibility of the more recent thread tags in byob, fyad, and adtrw (there might be some in other forums too) getting app versions?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'll try to get to some of them over the weekend.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ooh, scrolling is so smooth now! Also loving YouTube links opening in YouTube again.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. With browser set to Awful and YouTube set to "Open in YouTube", it's still trying to open YouTube links in the Safari view, rather than just jumping to YouTube.app.

EDIT2: Huh. Just tried another link and it did work. The one that didn't work was a quoted link. I'll play around a bit more.

Thanks Awful.app team! :)

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 20, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Snuffman posted:

Ooh, scrolling is so smooth now! Also loving YouTube links opening in YouTube again.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. With browser set to Awful and YouTube set to "Open in YouTube", it's still trying to open YouTube links in the Safari view, rather than just jumping to YouTube.app.

EDIT2: Huh. Just tried another link and it did work. The one that didn't work was a quoted link. I'll play around a bit more.

Thanks Awful.app team! :)

Could you post the link that didn't work as expected? It might just be a matter of there being a kind of YouTube link we're not matching.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Stare-Out posted:

Also my bookmarks now have a spinning loading icon at the bottom of the list that won't go away.

I have this too, when refreshing bookmarks there are two loading icons, and sometimes the bottom one never goes away.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

The smooth scrolling is killing me. Any chance at making that a setting?

While typing I am noticing the cursor is also at least one character behind.

Edit: weird the bouncy scrolling just disappeared.

stuxracer fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 20, 2015

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Using 3D Touch to preview a thread from my bookmarks works, but if I press harder to open the thread it fails and says it couldn't load it.

I don't post in here enough when things are working great or smoothly, but thanks to everyone who takes time to work on this app! I probably do 95% of all my browsing through this.

Thinking about it, I've only browsed something awful on the computer like 3 times in the last year.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Thank you for making 3D Touch useful on my iPhone 6s.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
The three dots at the bottom of each post seem to be a slightly brighter shade of yellow in the amberPOS theme.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Thank you for making 3D Touch useful on my iPhone 6s.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
For some reason, instead of "pages", pages now appear as "pp"; for instance if a thread has four pages it shows up as "4pp".

Why did this happen?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That Robot posted:

For some reason, instead of "pages", pages now appear as "pp"; for instance if a thread has four pages it shows up as "4pp".

Why did this happen?

Because Pokey didn't like the icon, and "pp" means pages.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Came here to ask the same thing about pp. presumed it means pages, it just looks weird.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Read more books. :colbert:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

fordan posted:

Since updating Awful crashes to Springboard on launch. I've tried removing and reinstalling the app; it'll stay stable and let me log in, then immediately crash (and crash on launch again after that again). This is on an iPad Pro.

Following up on this, it's now working. I deleted, downloaded, entered user/pass once, it crashed, reopened, entered user/pass and it works.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Just my opinion but I much preferred the icon to pp.

That being said, I didn't notice the change until I read this thread, so, whatever. :)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
201 pianissimo killed by soricidus

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Subjunctive posted:

Read more books. :colbert:

Which book do you want me to read, "How To Use Abbreviations Incorrectly"? pp isn't used to describe multiple pages, it's used to describe a range. For example - pp 165-173. It just looks out of place in this context, but I don't care as it doesn't affect the use of the app (which has been a godsend for many years).

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Awful iPhone/iPad Apages

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Like, it's a compliment to the app overall that we're down to complaining about such minutiae, but seriously, chalk me up as another who dislikes the "pp." thing. Icon was better. The word "pages" is also better.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
It's okay everyone, I'm going to end the horror by sending a PR replacing "PP" with ":goatsecx:".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

pokeyman posted:

Just released 3.8, it might fix your issue so give it a go!
Thanks for fixing the forum auto-refreshing issue! 😊

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EL BROMANCE posted:

Which book do you want me to read, "How To Use Abbreviations Incorrectly"?

Yes. :colbert:

touché

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Which book do you want me to read, "How To Use Abbreviations Incorrectly"? pp isn't used to describe multiple pages, it's used to describe a range. For example - pp 165-173. It just looks out of place in this context, but I don't care as it doesn't affect the use of the app (which has been a godsend for many years).

Um actually pp is used to make babby

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Just encountered a bug I haven't seen before on the latest release. When replying to a thread, when I tap "post" the app sometimes crashes and when I reopen the app, I discover that it posted duplicate.

Latest update, iPhone 5s running iOS 9.1

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Using 3D Touch to preview a thread from my bookmarks works, but if I press harder to open the thread it fails and says it couldn't load it.
Weird. Using 3D Touch on a thread in the normal thread list works great for me, but it doesn't register at all on the bookmarks tab, it just assumes its a long press.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The Kins posted:

Weird. Using 3D Touch on a thread in the normal thread list works great for me, but it doesn't register at all on the bookmarks tab, it just assumes its a long press.

in the bookmarks tab you have to do the 3d touch on the actual icon to the left of each bookmark, not the text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

in the bookmarks tab you have to do the 3d touch on the actual icon to the left of each bookmark, not the text.
The thread icon? Still no luck. It either counts as a long press, enters a "pressed down" state until I let go and it loads the thread, or enters that weird iOS9 multitasking gesture.

• Locked thread