Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

PhotoKirk posted:

I'm a big fan of Double Blind. Good story, lovable underdog mercenary unit, good pace. It's nice to see a book that gives Sun-Tzu some depth instead of Stackpole's cardboard cutout villain.

For a moment I thought you were suggesting Binding Force and I was going to drop the hammer on that since I despise Loren Coleman's "heroic terrorist" characters, but yeah. This is a good suggestion, Double Blind is good. The Avanti's Angels are good.

My personal suggestions:
Wolves on the Border - is the best written of the lot, bar-none. It does things I still strive to emulate.

The Blood of Kerensky Trilogy - read these after Wolves on the Border (if you read them at all).

Heir to the Dragon - is written in an entirely different style, but very solid.

Way of the Clans - The first of the Jade Phoenix trilogy is worth the read, the author pretty much condemns the entire Clan lifestyle. Don't read the next two books in the trilogy, they're bad and dumb and alter the way you'll see the first book.

Highlander Gambit - I'm not a huge fan of Purdue since his climaxes tend to involve Deus Ex Machina, but Highlander Gambit's pretty good and the follow-up, Impetus of War, is... alright, I guess?

Close Quarters / Hearts of Chaos / Black Dragon - my favorite trilogy. The first and second are action movies with tons of gunplay and martial arts, the third is a crime / political drama featuring a badass old man in a wheelchair. And Ninjas (a lot of Ninjas). And there're BattleMechs too, I guess. Cassie may be the protagonist and the star but she's a sociopath and the books go out of their way to point out that she's not someone to be emulated (the one character (introduced in the second novel) who tries winds up completely messed up). Also none of the novels are really about her.

Double Blind - Down on their luck Mercenaries who are actually down on their luck. Also Word of Blake.

Books to Never Read:
Natural Selection - Stackpole wanted to write a novel about Katrina Steiner as the Red Corsair. He got told he couldn't, but was already partway done writing it. He repurposed what he had and it's a complete and utter mess, one of the worst books ever written (I do like the very beginning where Phelan shows off what an egotistical dumbass he is though).

Ideal War - The worst BattleTech novel ever written.

Far Country - The entire story is full of completely unnecessary and ill-fitting allegories and everyone, heroes included, are straw men. Even the Tetatae never grow beyond the 'noble savage' archetype. You could replace all the characters with cowboys, all the BattleMechs with horses and/or six-shooters, and all the birdmen with Indians and the book would read basically the same (poorly).

Exodus Road - Blane Lee Purdoe overuses Stackpoling, the novel. Stackpole did it first, Purdoe does it the most egregiously.

Ghost of Winter - A kid hallucinates while freezing to death in the snow. I mean saves the day when he finds a cache of Clan `Mechs and Weapons on a world the Clans never visited. Also features Suzy "One Eye" Ryan.

Any novels in the FedCom Civil War era, but especially those featuring Archer "I Can Do No Wrong" Christifori. Doubly-especially the book with both Archer "I Can Do No Wrong" Christifori and Adam "My Home Planet" Steiner (where we learn that the events of the cartoon actually happened and the Jade Falcons did manage to fit the entire population of Somerset onto like, 3 DropShips).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PoptartsNinja posted:

Books to Never Read:

What, no "Main Event"?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

What, no "Main Event"?

There're worse. Main Event and DRT are dumb but amusing.

If I ever get back to finishing the first Dark Age novel (I misplaced it) I'll read Ideal War for you and show you why it's the worst novel in canon.

Edit: I'd suggest someone blind-read Natural Selection and/or Ideal War but I don't want to be directly responsible for killing anyone's love of BattleTech.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 19, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Scintilla posted:

I kid. I'm not going to do anything stupid, but my mech was built for melee combat. Gotta get in close to put that big stick to use.

You have masc and clear terrain, you can get a 7 hex move, fire all your guns into them and then beat them with a mace all in the same turn.

Remember to fire the streaks at any enemy who comes into range and you can potentially hit (if it would need a 13 its never happening.)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: I'd suggest someone blind-read Natural Selection and/or Ideal War but I don't want to be directly responsible for killing anyone's love of BattleTech.

I've never read either. Don't ... don't tempt me :negative:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Natural Selection has a few good moments. Not diamonds in the rough, exactly, but at least glass beads in the dungpile.

Ideal War will make you glad they never wrote any books about the Free Worlds League.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

AtomikKrab posted:

Remember to fire the streaks at any enemy who comes into range and you can potentially hit (if it would need a 13 its never happening.)
Even on 13s, fire them anyway - there's no penalty since they won't launch or add any heat. And with this many ACEs, maybe they'll move into range.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Holy Stackpole's mechsplosions, I'm on the alternate list :stare:

I'll go brush up on the QuickStart guide...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Pooncha posted:

Holy Stackpole's mechsplosions, I'm on the alternate list :stare:

I'll go brush up on the QuickStart guide...

Just a reminder that a bunch of us nerds sit in #megamek on synirc if you ever want to BS it up or noodle over turn options in real time along with posting in the thread!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ardlen posted:

Even on 13s, fire them anyway - there's no penalty since they won't launch or add any heat. And with this many ACEs, maybe they'll move into range.

only 3, players have faced more at once.

Hey ptn when does the YOU ARE NOT AN ACE have to get declared? turn before?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Just a reminder that a bunch of us nerds sit in #megamek on synirc if you ever want to BS it up or noodle over turn options in real time along with posting in the thread!

And if you are terminally lazy about getting on IRC re: installing any software, there's always mibbit: https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.synirc.net&channel=%23megamek

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Okay, heads' up on what C3 targeting is and why it should scare the poo poo out of you.

C3 systems allow a linked lance, regiment, Level II, or triad (depending on the C3 system) to share targeting information.

Mechanically, this means that units in a C3 link calculate their TNs as if they were only as far away as the closest member of the group. Minimum ranges and damage decreases by range are still calculated by the actual range-which means that C3 LRM units, for example, are going to get a lot more shot range shots than a normal LRM boat will. C3 is affected by ECM.

The most basic form of C3 is the C3 system, which has 1 5-ton master and 3 1-ton slaves. This is the most vulnerable-you can take the entire network out by killing the guy with the C3 Master, or you can break the network by putting an ECM bubble between a unit and the master (although this is temporary). However, the biggest advantage of the basic system is that 3 C3 Masters, each with 3 slaves, can also link to another C3 master, allowing up to 13 units to share targeting information simultaneously. If you have terrain which allows you to take advantage of it, this obviously leads to incredibly hilarious levels of accurate firepower being thrown around. Again, the main vulnerability of basic C3 is that it is reliant on C3 Masters to work, and those can be headhunted in various painful ways-especially given that 5 tons is a fairly large payload. Either you're going to put it on an assault or large heavy chassis, at which point you've got a slow command unit, or you're going to put it on a lighter one, at which point your command unit is very fragile and finds it difficult to defend itself if isolated.

ComStar, and later the Word of Blake improved on the C3 system by creating the 2.5 ton, 2 crit C3i system. C3i lets you link 6 units into a network. However, C3i is fault-tolerant in a way C3 isn't. If you take out any member of the network, the network keeps going. There are no 'masters' or 'slaves' in a C3i net-to cut off a C3i spotter via ECM requires that the ECM bubble block all of the other Level II members from receiving signals. C3i is heavy and bulky compared to the cheap-as-free C3 Slaves, but is a good compromise between redundancy and firepower. It doesn't have quite the same redundancy as Nova CEWS does, it doesn't let you concentrate the firepower of a C3 Master setup, but it's redundant enough and it's got firepower enough.

The last form of terrestrial C3 is the Nova CEWS. Built in the original timeline by the Society, a Clan Scientist Caste rebellion, the Nova CEWS allows a mech to network to two other nova-equipped units. However, Nova lets a equipped unit freely change the units it's networked with, which means that multiple three-unit groups can link with each other as their members fall, allowing them to take full advantage of their C3 network. You are facing this C3 variant.

The main way to deny someone use of C3 is to make sure they don't actually have spotters. The other way is to block the link via ECM, or by simply making sure that the enemy formation is forced into ranges tight enough that C3 is kind of pointless.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I think Nova CEWS also generates heat when active. Taking out the 'Diyu' group's network with ECM is also gonna be tough since we only have two ECM-capable units and the Warhammers can just switch their own suites over to ECCM mode. Still, something to keep in mind.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
a PPC to the cockpit is also an effective way of removing C3 from the playing field. Anyone who wants to step close and spot for the rest of the lance should be eating enough man-made lightning to make any FASA author blush.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Any novels in the FedCom Civil War era, but especially those featuring Archer "I Can Do No Wrong" Christifori. Doubly-especially the book with both Archer "I Can Do No Wrong" Christifori and Adam "My Home Planet" Steiner (where we learn that the events of the cartoon actually happened and the Jade Falcons did manage to fit the entire population of Somerset onto like, 3 DropShips).

The Archer novels are probably the most egregious examples of "everyone in the story is really in to whatever the author likes and it's totally relevant" in BT. Somehow comparisons to Stonewall Jackson are super relevant and meaningful to the point they can become a part of Victor's propaganda toward the Lyran Commonwealth in the 31st century. This is because BLP likes to do Civil War reenactments so everyone in the Inner Sphere suddenly gives a gently caress about it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

Hey ptn when does the YOU ARE NOT AN ACE have to get declared? turn before?

They'll have to designate a target they're trying to hinder so I can move them normally, yeah.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Lots of good stuff here but I am particularly jazzed by the Timber Wolf. Mad Cat's are my favorite mechs because of how incredibly versatile they are.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

MJ12 posted:

Okay, heads' up on what C3 targeting is and why it should scare the poo poo out of you.

C3 systems allow a linked lance, regiment, Level II, or triad (depending on the C3 system) to share targeting information.

Mechanically, this means that units in a C3 link calculate their TNs as if they were only as far away as the closest member of the group. Minimum ranges and damage decreases by range are still calculated by the actual range-which means that C3 LRM units, for example, are going to get a lot more shot range shots than a normal LRM boat will. C3 is affected by ECM.

The last form of terrestrial C3 is the Nova CEWS. Built in the original timeline by the Society, a Clan Scientist Caste rebellion, the Nova CEWS allows a mech to network to two other nova-equipped units. However, Nova lets a equipped unit freely change the units it's networked with, which means that multiple three-unit groups can link with each other as their members fall, allowing them to take full advantage of their C3 network. You are facing this C3 variant.

The main way to deny someone use of C3 is to make sure they don't actually have spotters. The other way is to block the link via ECM, or by simply making sure that the enemy formation is forced into ranges tight enough that C3 is kind of pointless.

So, question time. If there is a spotter that can see the players just fine, and two other opponents that are separated from the players by a smoke screen, can the screened units fire as if it were not there?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Player checking in: I'm not sure which mech I'm piloting but I am very much down for running around in stompy mechs. I'm very excited about this mission :3:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Olothreutes posted:

So, question time. If there is a spotter that can see the players just fine, and two other opponents that are separated from the players by a smoke screen, can the screened units fire as if it were not there?

No, even units linked by C3 networks still need line of sight to be able to fire. If there is enough hexes of smoke to block LoS, then it's flat blocked.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Psion posted:

I've never read either. Don't ... don't tempt me :negative:

I have read both. It's not worth the pain. Trust me.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Sel Nar posted:

I have read both. It's not worth the pain. Trust me.

Natural Selection did at least have a cool ending. Shame about the rest of the book. But ending spoilers ahead.

The way Phelan Kell-Wolf-Ward-Kell killed Conal Ward was pretty drat hardcore. Faking a trial of refusal like that to stop his political maneuvering dead. Almost enough to make you like Phelan.

And with hindsight Ideal War is pretty great foreshadowing for how both Regulus and the Word of Blake were going to act during the Jihad. Just a shame that the main character was bland and uninteresting and the thinly veiled Vietnam IN SPACE! analogy was terrible. Still it's probably not worth reading at all even despite that.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

No, even units linked by C3 networks still need line of sight to be able to fire. If there is enough hexes of smoke to block LoS, then it's flat blocked.

But if there is still LoS than the smoke penalty doesn't apply? Smoke is like light forest, right? Three of them blocks LoS but the first two are just to hit penalties? So would C3 allow them to ignore those penalties?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
With respect, as someone who is far too deeply into the lore of this dumb fun game to back out now, I will offer some amplifications and alternate opinions to PTN. Anything I do not quote can be taken as complete agreement with PTN.

quote:

My personal suggestions:
Wolves on the Border - is the best written of the lot, bar-none. It does things I still strive to emulate. An obvious and near consensus choice for the best Battletech novel. The battles are crisply written, the characters are- even the evil ones- largely allowed to be competent, the characterization is not wildly inconsistent... it is simply a good read.

The Blood of Kerensky Trilogy - read these after Wolves on the Border (if you read them at all). These are at best passable. That would be a very charitable reading. I would agree that these are Stackpole at his Battletech best. This is the faintest praise I can give.

Way of the Clans - The first of the Jade Phoenix trilogy is worth the read, the author pretty much condemns the entire Clan lifestyle. Don't read the next two books in the trilogy, they're bad and dumb and alter the way you'll see the first book. I have a partial disagreement. The first book of this trilogy is my second favorite Battletech book, and is very good. The other two are not as good, but I would still not call them bad. I still enjoy them! And they still manage to pack in excellent scenes like the Trial of Refusal that Aidan wages against 3 to 1 odds while chanting a nursery rhyme, which though it sounds stupid is one of those things that I will never not defend as an excellent scene. Also? It has Joanna. Speaking of-

I Am Jade Falcon- Is this a great book? No, it is not. Does it star Joanna, who is a strong choice for my favorite character? Yes, it does, and that buys it a lot of leeway with me.

Close Quarters / Hearts of Chaos / Black Dragon- Another thing I will point out here is that these novels are not afraid to have important NPCs die, often without fanfare. Warfare is hell. People die. There are body counts, and not always of the people you expect to do so. It is likely the strongest multi-book Battletech 'story'.

Roar of Honor- During the FCCW disasterpiece, a few one-off books snuck through the net of Stackpolian Mary-Sue canon. I will point this one out as a fun read, albeit an inconsequential one to the larger canon. A Trinary of Ghost Bears defends a world against an overconfident jackass Wolf Clan cluster. The Wolves get dunked on, repeatedly, but it is a hard fought battle. Fun and short.

quote:

Books to Never Read:

Exodus Road - Blane Lee Purdoe overuses Stackpoling, the novel. Stackpole did it first, Purdoe does it the most egregiously. I cannot disagree enough with PTN on this one. Exodus Road is likely also in my top 3 after Wolves on the Border and the first Jade Falcon book. I adore it, for its look at how petty human politics probably would interact with the Clan way of life. It also is the best book in the Twilight of the Clans... octology. Which is another incidence of faint praise-

Every Single Other Twilight Of The Clans Book Except Maybe The Two About Task Force Serpent That Were Passably Mediocre- Oh my god. I hate these books. They are disasters on every level. If you can read about Victor and Omi Kurita on Luthien and not want to choke yourself with something you are a stronger man than I. If you can read Victor ending the Clan War by almost literally pulling a "Victor Steiner-Davion sighed as he drew his katana" and not retroactively hate large sections of the canon, you are a stronger man than I. If you can read the ill-conceived adventures of Horse on Huntress, with botched LAMs, and not just burn your book or delete your PDF as appropriate. you are a stronger man than I. I cannot tell you how bad these are.

Yes, Seriously, Every FedCom Civil War Book- They simply have no redeeming features.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scintilla posted:

I think Nova CEWS also generates heat when active. Taking out the 'Diyu' group's network with ECM is also gonna be tough since we only have two ECM-capable units and the Warhammers can just switch their own suites over to ECCM mode. Still, something to keep in mind.

Actual Nova CEWS is immune to non-Nova-CEWS-based ECM. Dunno about this subset of it on the board but PTN probably would have mentioned it if it was so.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

With respect, as someone who is far too deeply into the lore of this dumb fun game to back out now, I will offer some amplifications and alternate opinions to PTN. Anything I do not quote can be taken as complete agreement with PTN.

Every character in Exodus Road is a cardboard cutout. As funny as it is to watch the Smoke Jaguars poo poo all over Trent they do so because he's a good and noble savage and they're bad and evil ones.

The concept of the first Twilight of the Clans book? It's alright. I suppose. The actual execution is pretty miserable. ComStar wins because Trent is an idiot. Trent wins because the Smoke Jaguars are all idiots and/or can't see him eject when he Stackpoles his `Mech right in front of them.

:confuoot:

The only redeeming part of the book is the ending when Trent's like "I brought you this, I want to lead a regiment" and Focht is like "Yeah, no. I'll give you a company command though."

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Olothreutes posted:

But if there is still LoS than the smoke penalty doesn't apply? Smoke is like light forest, right? Three of them blocks LoS but the first two are just to hit penalties? So would C3 allow them to ignore those penalties?

I think the to hit from intervening light woods or light/heavy smoke still applies. I'd have to go back and check the Wolverine training scenario to see though, I'm pretty sure they made shots through woods with C3i.

e: Yea, c3 doesn't just magically make the woods/smoke go away, you still eat those penalties.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 20, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I have two Battletech books. One of these is Wolves on the Border, and is great. The other is Tactics of Duty, which features Jaime Wolf and Grayson Carlyle reenacting the battle of Gettysburg... with battlemechs. Also people taking down Victors with battle armour and agromechs. The little blurb from the middle of the book that sits on the front page to get you hooked has a typo right in the middle of it. Urbanmechs that fail at doing what Urbanmechs excel at. Did I mention that they REENACTED THE BATTLE OF GETTYSBURG WITH BATTLEMECHS AND IT LASTED ABOUT 10% OF THE BOOK? Thankfully someone tries to kill Carlyle in the middle of it to keep it from dragging on any longer. Sadly, he continues to be unkillable.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I have a lot of the Dark Age novels and wouldn't mind doing some reads of them. Just got to get them from the 'rents' house.

Also, that ominous news about all communication being cut from the homeworlds to the invading clans makes me think Clan Blood Spirit is on the rampage. I think it'd be cool to do even just one mission out there as a breather between all the Inner Sphere action, and nominate the best Clan, Clan Nova Cat for the player faction.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Scintilla posted:

I'm just going to charge forwards and hit stuff with my mace until they / I die.

Just don't let Caesar get headcapped/die. Defiance Industries would never forgive you.

The only BT books I've read are the Blood of Kerensky trilogy that my cousin had and lent me, plus a couple other secondhand ones I read at Bookoff when I was bored a couple years back which I forgot off the top of my head. I'm used to Stackpole since I used to eat his Star Wars books up when I was in middle school (I still actually really like Corran Horn in I, Jedi, as well as the first X-Wing series of books, though Allston's series with the Wraiths were definitely a lot better and more hilarious, and the Jedi Apprentice series was pretty overblown now that I look back on it but back then I overlooked the problems because of my huge Star Wars fanboyism and loving to read space battles and such), but reading his BT books with the benefit of hindsight like 4 years ago, I can tell how bad of an author he actually is with writing characters and small unit action scenes in mechs...

My cousin also had a bunch of the Dark Age books, but he warned me off of me borrowing them, since he knew they weren't as good.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Would somebody mind giving a rundown on what Variable Speed Pulse Lasers, X-Pulse Lasers and eERPPCs have going for them? I'm fairly familiar with the basics of Battletech but I don't know anything about these fancy big-city guns I see headed our way.

X-Pulse Lasers are IS Pulse Lasers with higher heat but the same ranges as IS standard lasers.

Variable Speed Pulse Lasers are... interesting very short-range weapons. The LVSPL that you're seeing does 11 damage with a -3 to hit at 0-4 hexes, 9 damage with a -2 to hit at 5-8 hexes, and 7 damage with a -1 to hit at 9-15 hexes. Basically, try to stay far away from VSPL shooters, because they basically cannot miss if they get in close.

The eERPPCs are ER PPCs that do 12 damage a hit, and thus headcap.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

The Merry Marauder posted:

I haven't read that since it came out, but my hazy recollection is of S-TL tapping his lacquered fingernails together in a room that sounded like the MJ12 facilities in Deus Ex. Can you speak to the characterization it offered to refresh me?

I keep trying to articulate it, but I'm not the best writer. His choice of a gift for the MoC, his deliberately vague wording to put the MoC off-balance during his visit, his final deal with Marcus GioAvanti to get both revenge and a share of the loot - all portray a very cunning character.

Let's just say this: He isn't the mustache-twirling evil Chinese caricature that Stockpile used for every member of the Liao family.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I think the to hit from intervening light woods or light/heavy smoke still applies. I'd have to go back and check the Wolverine training scenario to see though, I'm pretty sure they made shots through woods with C3i.

e: Yea, c3 doesn't just magically make the woods/smoke go away, you still eat those penalties.

Interesting. That makes the smoke rounds a lot less scary than I first thought. It will still be a pain to deal with but I was assuming that proper smoke placement would allow for some supreme bullshit levels of C3 abuse. Admittedly I think that would actually be really neat, it's not like smoke actually interferes with missiles.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PTN told me about Ideal War some time ago and I don't want that book to ruin my good impression of the fake Thomas Marik and Paul Masters.

EDIT: Also, eERPPCs are interesting in that they're essentially the missing link between Star League ERPPCs and CERPPCs in development, from back during the birth of the Clans. The only cases of those to show up in the IS were, I believe, used on Minnesota Tribe `Mechs. Because they're Clan Wolverine. You don't find any in Clan space anymore because they're obsolete, so it's pretty cool to see Clan scientists in the CapCon trying to, essentially, rebuild their Clantech capabilities with the more limited, barely-Star League-level facilities they have to work with.

Runa fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 20, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My goodness, that sure is a lot of plot-relevant characters on a battlefield full of headchoppers.

Hope PTN's ready to tear up his storyboard.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Voyager I posted:

My goodness, that sure is a lot of plot-relevant characters on a battlefield full of headchoppers.

Hope PTN's ready to tear up his storyboard.

I'd like to think that PTN has a conspiracy theory board/room that's just a bunch of strings going everywhere. Which kind of makes me want everyone to die this mission.

:sherman: his outline for the fluff. :kheldragar:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Books to Never Read:
Ghost of Winter - A kid hallucinates while freezing to death in the snow. I mean saves the day when he finds a cache of Clan `Mechs and Weapons on a world the Clans never visited. Also features Suzy "One Eye" Ryan.

Oh hey, I actually read that one. Yeah, it was... kind of really bad. Random kid stumbles into a clan cache, somehow singlehandedly gets several clan 'Mechs up and running and successfully fights off a veteran pirate outfit, which itself also has clan 'Mechs because of course they do.

But hey, the book came bundled with two other stories, which were at least reasonably decent.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Oh hey, I actually read that one. Yeah, it was... kind of really bad. Random kid stumbles into a clan cache, somehow singlehandedly gets several clan 'Mechs up and running and successfully fights off a veteran pirate outfit, which itself also has clan 'Mechs because of course they do.

But hey, the book came bundled with two other stories, which were at least reasonably decent.

The worst part about that book was how he defeats the pirates.

Octavion
Apr 5, 2009
The hate for Far Country makes me cry a solitary Tetatae tear. Especially since at least 3 bird legged mechs and 2 bird named mechs are in this scenario.

Squawk :duckie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I just realized; with the way that ComStar tries to assassinate any IS scientist who's actually creating a threat to the status quo, did this Society guy engineer the HPG attack in the planet so that he could do his work without ROM being able to easily interfere?

Are the Capellan Power Rangers loyal to him over the CapCon now? :ohdear:

• Locked thread