Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Justin Bieber has endorsed Donald Trump and instructed his American "Beliebers" to vote for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/poll-trump-retakes-lead-gop-race-cruz-makes-gains-n466651

New NBC Poll

NBC Nov 15-17th

Trump: 28% (+2)
Carson: 18% (-8)
Cruz: 18% (+8)
Rubio: 11%(+2)
Bush: 4% (-1)
Christie: 3%
Fiorina: 3% (-1)

(Last Month) NBC Oct 27-29

Trump: 26%
Carson: 26%
Cruz: 10%
Rubio: 9%
Bush: 5%
Fiorina: 4%

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Peachstapler posted:

Justin Bieber has endorsed Donald Trump and instructed his American "Beliebers" to vote for him.

Wrap it up, everyoneelseailures.

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
Nate Silver choosing Trump's yuge and luxurious hill as the one he wants to die on:

@NateSilver538 - About 25% of Americans identify as Republican. Donald Trump's getting about 25% of that 25% in the polls. Why is this impressive to people?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Prof. Lurker posted:

Nate Silver choosing Trump's yuge and luxurious hill as the one he wants to die on:

@NateSilver538 - About 25% of Americans identify as Republican. Donald Trump's getting about 25% of that 25% in the polls. Why is this impressive to people?

I've got a door in a wall for you, Silver.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Prof. Lurker posted:

No, but, you see...

Boosted_C5 posted:

LOL Donald Trump is literally going to be POTUS.

Checkmate, liberals. :smuggo:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Peachstapler posted:

Make Canada Great Again!

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Donald Trump, the fever dream candidate. You don't get to wake up until the fever breaks, guys.

E: America, the fever dream. I doubt we're going to actually see anything resembling a real move toward totalitarianism until stagnation and gridlock are so overwhelming that extremists punching through the cruft are seen as a good thing by a larger segment of the general population. I'm presently hoping Mr. Trump will serve as more of a blanket thrown over a fevered person, aiding the fever to break before the point of collapse.

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 20, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Prof. Lurker posted:

It's a good question, but it should also be asked why any poll number would be impressive, considering that primary polling at this stage of the race* hasn't predicted the nominee since 2000.

(Excluding the Republican primary in 2004 and the Democratic primary in 2012 when the incumbents were effectively unopposed.)

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Epic High Five posted:

At what point does his campaign manager start sneaking up behind him with a roll of duct tape to cover his mouth with?

Though to be fair, I imagine a neurosurgeon WOULD look at something like flying a modern jet airliner and say, "of course I could do that, how hard could it be?"

Here we are Dr. Carson. Good luck!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Joementum posted:

It's a good question, but it should also be asked why any poll number would be impressive, considering that primary polling at this stage of the race* hasn't predicted the nominee since 2000.

(Excluding the Republican primary in 2004 and the Democratic primary in 2012 when the incumbents were effectively unopposed.)

drat, a sample of 4 whole primaries!

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Mike the TV posted:

Here we are Dr. Carson. Good luck!

9/11 Part 2 Simulator looking good.

Maybe the good doctor has 100's of hours logged in microsoft flight sim?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So the 1st place candidate says we might need to do unthinkable things when he is president, proposes a Muslim database and considers having special IDS for the immigrants

Carson compared immigrants to dogs

Cruz says we should only allow Christians into the U.S.

Please tell me that this rhetoric will push the GOP into a defeat in November

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So the 1st place candidate says we might need to do unthinkable things when he is president, proposes a Muslim database and considers having special IDS for the immigrants

Carson compared immigrants to dogs

Cruz says we should only allow Christians into the U.S.

Please tell me that this rhetoric will push the GOP into a defeat in November

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

nachos posted:

drat, a sample of 4 whole primaries!

Well, let's extend it then and count the modern primaries in which polling at this stage did predict the nominee, excluding incumbents.

2000 - Republican primary
2000 - Democratic primary
1996 - Republican primary
1980 - Republican primary

We could argue about 1976, which Ford (a semi-incumbent) led at this stage, but didn't cleanly wrap up, even at the convention. Not a robust track record for primary polling.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Joementum posted:

Well, let's extend it then and count the modern primaries in which polling at this stage did predict the nominee, excluding incumbents.

2000 - Republican primary
2000 - Democratic primary
1996 - Republican primary
1980 - Republican primary

We could argue about 1976, which Ford (a semi-incumbent) led at this stage, but didn't cleanly wrap up, even at the convention. Not a robust track record for primary polling.

I think my point stands in that there is not enough of a sample to definitely say one way or another that primary polls matter.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

nachos posted:

I think my point stands in that there is not enough of a sample to definitely say one way or another that primary polls matter.

OK, but since polls are the only evidence on offer that Trump could win, (your belief) that there's not enough evidence to say they matter would suggest he's not doing as well as reported.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

OK, but since polls are the only evidence on offer that Trump could win, (your belief) that there's not enough evidence to say they matter would suggest he's not doing as well as reported.

Are they the only evidence? He also has the potential to self-fund to a more robust degree than any campaign can fund. He hasn't tapped his financial resources yet but has the potential to have a very well-financed campaign.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Mister Macys posted:

I can't quite make it out...

"Make America Kosher Again" 2016

"Bomb Everyone but Israel" 2016

"Make America Segregated Again" 2016

"These Romans are Crazy" 2016

"Mexicanes Eunt Domus" 2016

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Patter Song posted:

Are they the only evidence? He also has the potential to self-fund to a more robust degree than any campaign can fund. He hasn't tapped his financial resources yet but has the potential to have a very well-financed campaign.

At this point, Trump has enough of a chance at becoming our next president that he would probably be more than willing to drop a cool hundred mil without a 2nd thought, and the fact that he has barely spent anything yet makes him feel pretty good about it. If Trump wins the nomination, I bet he will come out of the primary having spent less than any presidential nominee in the past several elections.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

basically every argument that the silverites had used to argue why jeb had it locked actually applies to trump, which is hilarious

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Forums Terrorist posted:

basically every argument that the silverites had used to argue why jeb had it locked actually applies to trump, which is hilarious

Can you link me to the 538 article that said Jeb! had it locked? I'm having trouble finding it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Joementum is right. Trump isn't going to win.

Cruz is

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I can't believe trump said he was going to create a database for Muslims

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
I think Nate Silver's point is pretty valid but for reasons he would dismiss since he seems currently divorced from reality and instead stuck in orthodoxy.

Despite all that media attention Trump can't really crack over 30%. Yes it's a crowded field, but most of that crowded field is polling within the margin of zero. The reason this is devastating for Trump is that this time IS different - people ARE paying attention. And what they're seeing they're not too impressed with.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Zelder posted:

Seriously. The Xmen played out that story line years ago

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Zelder posted:

He'll finally win over the Tea Party faithful by putting Obama on it first

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Why would Nate Silver dismissively mention that only 25% of America identifies as Republican? It doesn't seem relevant to discussion of Donald Trump's position in the Republican primaries, in which Republicans tend to vote.

Good Citizen posted:

Seriously. The Xmen played out that story line years ago

Donald Trump is a bit like Iron Man, in that they're both billionaires and assholes.

That makes Bernie Sanders Captain America. :(

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

William Bear posted:

Why would Nate Silver dismissively mention that only 25% of America identifies as Republican? It doesn't seem relevant to discussion of Donald Trump's position in the Republican primaries, in which Republicans tend to vote.

Nate Silver is really bitter about Donald Trump kicking over his predictive model sandcastles.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Trump's support is rising, he has broken 30% in several polls now, Silver needs a reality check.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I look forward to Trump announcing that he will hunt and kill a Syrian refugee in his next campaign stop

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Well, the problem is that Nate Silver wouldn't apply that same logic to the other candidates. Saying something like "Hillary Clinton only has about 60% of the only about 30% of Americans that identify as Democrats" would be just as true and just as misleading.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Montasque posted:

Nate Silver is really bitter about Donald Trump kicking over his predictive model sandcastles.

Huh, I hadn't realized Nate Silver had built a model to predict mid-November polling results. Weird.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Huh, I hadn't realized Nate Silver had built a model to predict mid-November polling results. Weird.

Silver's model had Jeb and Walker as favorites. Walker dumped out and Jeb is a zombie candidate.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

He didn't, but for him and everyone else on his site to say Jeb! is still TWICE as likely as Trump at this point (this was in their most recent update on the field) is ridiculous and simply asking for failure.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Zelder posted:

This is starting to scare me. I've read It Can't Happen Here.
:ssh: Spoiler: It happens here

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

He didn't, but for him and everyone else on his site to say Jeb! is still TWICE as likely as Trump at this point (this was in their most recent update on the field) is ridiculous and simply asking for failure.

According to Silver, Scott Walker still has a better chance of getting the nomination than Donald Trump.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

"I will eat the heart of this Syrian child, to send a message to Isis!" - Trump, to uproarious applause

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Montasque posted:

Scott Walker still has a better chance of getting the nomination than Donald Trump.

Which is true. In the extremely low chance of a brokered convention, Walker is a reasonable compromise candidate, making his chance of being the nominee non-zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

He didn't, but for him and everyone else on his site to say McCain is still TWICE as likely as Giuliani at this point (this was in their most recent update on the field) is ridiculous and simply asking for failure.

• Locked thread