Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Steam sale dates leaked and there are no flash/daily deals this year apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

thesis: the Super Nintendo Entertainment System by Nintendo had the first good video game controller.

discuss.

nah the first good controller was probably the microsoft sidewinder or maybe the original xbox controller.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Katana Gomai posted:

Steam sale dates leaked and there are no flash/daily deals this year apparently
flat sale (i.e. non-impulse) pricing might be a good thing but they will definitely cloud things up with some stupid game(s)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
no flash/daily deals guys! we respect our customers!
however, we have this poorly coded, completely not load-tested javascript game, sponsored by the scheinhardt wig company, episodes of which only run for 12 hours and the winners get an extra 10-25% off sale games!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

the priest in fo4 says "by the power invested in me"

glad to see bethesda's attention to detail extends from QA to the script itself
this is actually one thing that might be genre-appropriate, c.f. a canticle for leibowitz

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

flat sale (i.e. non-impulse) pricing might be a good thing but they will definitely cloud things up with some stupid game(s)

yeah daily/flash sales makes it easy to find the games you want to buy cause there are only a handful to pick from each day where a big sale means everything is on sale and that game you forgot about but wanted to buy next steam sale remains forgotten

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

yeah daily/flash sales makes it easy to find the games you want to buy cause there are only a handful to pick from each day where a big sale means everything is on sale and that game you forgot about but wanted to buy next steam sale remains forgotten
that's probably it, really. flash/daily sales are easy to parse but lower "engagement time". basically gotta fire up your wishlist now and browse that exclusively during the sale

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
combining the suggestion queue with games on sale might be a good idea too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I know personally i only ever looked at flash/daily sales for the past 2-3 years, and didn't really bother because any interesting games i probably already owned

the only downside of this I think is that some stuff might not be as discounted as years past which sucks because there's one or two games I still wanted (like Assassin's Creed: Pirates!)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

computer parts posted:

I know personally i only ever looked at flash/daily sales for the past 2-3 years, and didn't really bother because any interesting games i probably already owned

the only downside of this I think is that some stuff might not be as discounted as years past which sucks because there's one or two games I still wanted (like Assassin's Creed: Pirates!)

even the flash sales lately weren't as good. they don't tend to sell aaa games for 7 bucks a year after release anymore

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Al! posted:

even the flash sales lately weren't as good. they don't tend to sell aaa games for 7 bucks a year after release anymore

you get weird stuff sometimes though, like when the newest call of duty had a 25% off sale for one day during christmas last year

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
if it doesn't cause games to drop below the $9 or $15 barrier, I'm not buying them. I need the "90% off" AAA titles to even care at this point, because I don't consider anything that's been out a year and over $20 as "on sale"

looking at you, dying light

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

jony ive aces posted:

cvgs: currently playing thru fallout 3 since fallout 4 came out and i've literally never played a fallout despite buying 3 & NV in steam sales years ago and getting the classic ones free on gog when interplay lost the rights. i did play wasteland back in the 90s before fallout 1 had even come out tho

presumably gonna play new vegas next then buy fallout 4 eventually but otoh there's also a new starcraft 2 that looks almost decent and i guess xcom 2 is coming soon so who knows

fallout 1 and 2 are good, 3 and beyond are all really bad

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

computer parts posted:

you get weird stuff sometimes though, like when the newest call of duty had a 25% off sale for one day during christmas last year

anyone remember when gta5 was "on sale" for $59.99 haha

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

fallout 1 and 2 are good, 3 and beyond are all really bad
lol if you forgot about the hilariously, outrageously buggy state that 2 shipped in

and that 1 received a late-in-the-game patch which extended the fairly counterproductive timer on your vault being invaded no matter what

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Dodoman posted:

you have to join the public group and ask someone there for an invite to the invite group. i can't invite people to either groups.
i didn't even know there's a public group but yeah i found the pgs thread

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Kenny Logins posted:

lol if you forgot about the hilariously, outrageously buggy state that 2 shipped in

and that 1 received a late-in-the-game patch which extended the fairly counterproductive timer on your vault being invaded no matter what

bugs aside, the originals are better games than "the bethesda game"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

bugs aside, the originals are better games than "the bethesda game"
haven't played 4 yet but passing closing the book on it this early due to bugs would seem pretty antithetical to the fallout franchise

then again maybe it sucks. can't wait to find out in 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kenny Logins posted:

didn't jc penny do this and it turned out to be disastrous

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Debating if I want to buy failout 4 if it's in the steam sale

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

https://twitter.com/BooDooPerson/status/667572540978655232

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ayn rand hand job posted:

Yep, and then they brought back normal retail pricing and things perked right back up again

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

got into the overwatch beta weekend thing :toot:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Kenny Logins posted:

haven't played 4 yet but passing closing the book on it this early due to bugs would seem pretty antithetical to the fallout franchise

then again maybe it sucks. can't wait to find out in 2016

fallout 4 isn't bad because its buggy. it's bad because fallout 3 was bad, oblivion was bad, and skyrim was bad, and this is the same bad game for the umpteenth game

remove all the bugs and you still have a dull and boring game

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ayn rand hand job posted:

sorta, they priced everything to its "on sale" price permamently and lost a lot of money

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

fallout 4 isn't bad because its buggy. it's bad because fallout 3 was bad, oblivion was bad, and skyrim was bad, and this is the same bad game for the umpteenth game

i found skyrim to be pretty relaxing for the first 40 hours or so. so i will eventually get/play fo4 on that basis. fo3 and fonv were fun despite all of the problems with ps3 and i'm in the tank for the franchise anyway

right now what's stopping me is bad ps4 bundles that come with games i've played or games i'd never play, and plus the consoles come in garish colors that would give the lie to me not actually being a poo poo bitch literal childe

however if they did a fo4 bundle with a 1tb drive you would be talking to a whitenoise-poster-shaped dust cloud right now

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
apparently the ps4 is capable of ps2 emulation.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Necronomoticon posted:

apparently the ps4 is capable of ps2 emulation.
The article for anyone longing to play anything not successful enough to get a ps3 hd remake, i guess

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i already have a ps2

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Ludwig van Halen posted:

b-but you can make your own fun!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Al! posted:

i feel like i haven't found anything cool yet :(, i feel like i've spent 20 hours mostly staring at cool looking vistas and poo poo

i feel like the cool poo poo in Fallout 4 is buried deeper but there's definitely lots of cool poo poo there

i just got a beer brewing robot for my town. also you can buy cattle :getin:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
that starcraft 2 plot posted on the last page is pretty much what happens. and yes, the entire epilogue (starting with the hunch) is as incomprehensible as it looks

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

also fallout 4 actually gets a lot better as you go along. I was getting bored below level 10 when I was just trudging around outside boston killing ghouls but there are a bunch of great quests in the 10s and 20s

Vault 81 is a particular standout

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

is there a cat in fallout, or just a dog.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Quiggy was right about those dumb weapon damage perks being essential and it makes me even madder.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

As a Millennial I posted:

Blackula69 posted:

Vault 81 is a particular standout

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Quiggy was right about those dumb weapon damage perks being essential and it makes me even madder.

idk knuc i've been playing a sneaky shootman and didn't get the first rifle one until like level 18

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
when I finally play i'm gonna play a max luck max agi melee dude and 12x backstab all the dudes with a sledgehammer to the back of the neck

since there's some teleport power now it fixes the problem with NV melee where you run at them in vats and get gunned down every time

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i would imagine even bethesda isnt dumb enough to implement a companion whose sole purpose is to wander away immediately, never to be seen again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

there are cats but not a cat companion

Knuc U Kinte posted:

they're really not but you need to make yourself more powerful somehow either by that or by modding your weapons or both. i've barely touched those perks and i wreck house

• Locked thread