Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

My biggest complaint about development is that it gets comparatively less attractive as an option as the game goes on due to development efficiency being worse than administrative efficiency, and some regions of the map being extremely inefficient to develop due to terrain. Also there's more ways of reducing coring and diplo annex cost than development cost. I'd like it if just for the sake of verisimilitude there were some points in the tech curve where developing provinces up to some baseline amount is relatively efficient.

This is what I'm trying to get at via new world crops - they bring marginal land into use, which can be represented by a buff to development for low-development provinces. E.g. when maize makes it s way to China the end result should probably be +development to large parts of China's hilly, mountainous west, which saw a ton of land come into cultivation due to maize being suited to the climate and terrain, whereas rice and wheat were not viable. Similarly, there is a particular variant of potato in Sweden that ripens early, making it a viable crop farther north, where it's harder to grow traditional cereals. My contention is that many parts of the world that, in EU4, start out as very marginal become disproportionately less marginal due to these crop innovations.

Maybe it could instead be represented by terrain-based development cost modifiers, e.g. "Importation of maize; -20% development cost on mountainous and hilly terrain". I'm not sure how to gamify it though. Maybe it should be transmitted via proximity, so you have an incentive to give Spain/Portugal a port so that you can get your hands on their crops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't think that should necessarily be done with development, it'd be incredibly uneven in the distribution, whereas in real life the new crops had fairly global reach. A triggered modifier or a modifier like the trade good price changes would work I think- something that adds a percentage modifier to the tax/production/manpower etc of every province. For instance maize could add like 30%+ manpower to hilly provinces or something.

And then like I said before, if they want to go deeper with the random new world, they could make it so sometimes you don't get the modifier, and so your country (and hopefully the whole world!) develops in different ways, 'cause some countries that would normally get strong through crop introduction would find they didn't get that this time.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Koramei posted:

I think some things like that, along with the plagues in the Americas etc could really be modeled in some way. They had profound impacts on the world and it's kind of strange them being meaningless here. Especially with the new random new world it'd be kind of cool to have normally gamechanging effects like that not happen, and seeing how that changes things.
It would be amazing to have a "plague depopulates Native Americans" mechanic (maybe something that through whatever ways lowers development from some originally higher baseline and/or depopulates low-development provinces completely), and then have some rare results from the random new world setups reverse it and apply the plague mechanic to Europe upon first contact instead.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think if you had a New World Plague mechanic you'd need to make the native American provinces a lot better prior to it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Oh my god.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Koramei posted:

I don't think that should necessarily be done with development, it'd be incredibly uneven in the distribution, whereas in real life the new crops had fairly global reach. A triggered modifier or a modifier like the trade good price changes would work I think- something that adds a percentage modifier to the tax/production/manpower etc of every province. For instance maize could add like 30%+ manpower to hilly provinces or something.

And then like I said before, if they want to go deeper with the random new world, they could make it so sometimes you don't get the modifier, and so your country (and hopefully the whole world!) develops in different ways, 'cause some countries that would normally get strong through crop introduction would find they didn't get that this time.

If the potato doesn't happen you might as well turn all of Prussia into wasteland.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I wish there was a thing that if your capital is in a bad terrain province, development on that terrain type is not as expensive as it normally is for you.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gort posted:

I think if you had a New World Plague mechanic you'd need to make the native American provinces a lot better prior to it.

That's what I'm thinking, yes. The idea would be that the end result is more or less the current situation (low-dev provinces, except maybe for some leftover Production to represent Europeans walking right in and taking over depopulated farms and so on), but before the Europeans show up there's a lot more development around.

I think it'd make the early game for American nations more interesting, while also enabling some alt-history gimmicks with disease stuff happening different ways or whatever.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Roadie posted:

That's what I'm thinking, yes. The idea would be that the end result is more or less the current situation (low-dev provinces, except maybe for some leftover Production to represent Europeans walking right in and taking over depopulated farms and so on), but before the Europeans show up there's a lot more development around.

I think it'd make the early game for American nations more interesting, while also enabling some alt-history gimmicks with disease stuff happening different ways or whatever.

The Aztecs/Mayas/Inca without mass deaths :getin:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Koramei posted:

We have things like inflation, development, autonomy etc that could model so many things, but instead they all have just one job, and when there's a new system introduced in a new expansion they just add yet another thing, when it could easily be tied back into the old thing.

I totally agree, I think it was really obvious that this was a mistaken approach when they did the expansion to V2 that added spheres of influence and there were separate scores for national opinions and imperial influence, even though the latter was described in terms of "cordial" and "friendly". They just tack on more mechanics!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

The Crimson Empire causing mass deaths in Europe from the Crimson Plague :getin:

Fixed.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

I swear the AI co-belligerizes the dumbest people. Way to go jackass the entire continent of Europe is against us now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's one reason I can't wait for Cossacks. I hate having to join all of my allies' pointless and bloody wars if I want to keep them as allies.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm 90% sure they don't figure the strength of the Emperor correctly, and 100% sure they don't consider the strength of the DotF, like at all.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I'm 90% sure they don't figure the strength of the Emperor correctly, and 100% sure they don't consider the strength of the DotF, like at all.

I wish the AI made sure you would be able to get military access before relying on your numbers to win a war.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

England, please... I don't want to disband my troops, just come at me already :(

I just want to reform

EDIT: I wasted so much time, it's 1580 and still no one close enough to reform off of.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 20, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

So after 20+ restarts I finally just backed up a local ironman save where Castille has France + Aragon as rivals and France has Castile and not Aragon as a Rival.

With that start it only took 2 restarts before France and Aragon were at war with Castille and winning. I waited until Feb 1 1448 when the truce with Castile was over and had to sit for 4 years with a fully occupied Castile where neither France, Aragon, or I had enough warscore to settle. Eventually France, then Aragon ended their wars and I got a 100% off

Currently I have 100+ AE with Portugal and Aragon and 50-80 with France, England, Brittany, and Provence

So far no coallitions have formed but I am thinking that maybe it was not worth it to take so much but I am improving relations with France and England and think I could defend with Morocco Tunis and Leon so long as its only Aragon or Portugal without much help.

Meanwhile I dont know whether I can afford to make an investment in colonizing as a first idea group or whether I should get admin/religious, or a military idea like Quantity or Offensive

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Did today's dev diary get posted yet? https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-diary-november-19th-2015.891822/

Colonial goods rework, cultural unions, "prevent nation ruining", and an achievement browser. The biggest news is that cultural unions aren't tag-based anymore; they require Empire rank now.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 20, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Anything which hurts French and Spanish internal stability is fine by me

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Enjoy posted:

Anything which hurts French and Spanish internal stability is fine by me

It will be a slight boost for the Ottomans, who gain empire status by decision, and don't currently have a cultural union. Very slight, because the only cultures that belong to their group (Turkmeni and Azerbaijani) have kind of garbage provinces. Some good trade goods in Azerbaijan at least.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wiz posted:

In 1.14, AI protectorates do not westernize.

Oh man, this plus being able to use them in war mean Protectorates are finally going to be useful.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

GreyPowerVan posted:

Is Montezuma coded to die young? I've been trying to get an Aztec game running and he's died less than 4 years in every time. I've restarted 5 times, this is kind of annoying.

I don't think it's coded but he sure does die young a lot even when you keep him out of combat.

Same with the starting Incan king, although my successful Sun God run he lasted a while (not that I was basing my run around that factor).

I need to get back to Aztec and work on Sunset Invasion.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm sort of going to miss the weird mechanics of 1.13 protectorates. You'd race with other powers to get protectorates over small states in Asia and the Americas, steal a bunch of provinces off them, and either they'd westernize (and get free) or they'd uselessly sit there all game. Mainly this was annoying when the protectorate's capital was a really good province that you couldn't steal.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

420 Gank Mid posted:

So after 20+ restarts I finally just backed up a local ironman save where Castille has France + Aragon as rivals and France has Castile and not Aragon as a Rival.

With that start it only took 2 restarts before France and Aragon were at war with Castille and winning. I waited until Feb 1 1448 when the truce with Castile was over and had to sit for 4 years with a fully occupied Castile where neither France, Aragon, or I had enough warscore to settle. Eventually France, then Aragon ended their wars and I got a 100% off

Currently I have 100+ AE with Portugal and Aragon and 50-80 with France, England, Brittany, and Provence

So far no coallitions have formed but I am thinking that maybe it was not worth it to take so much but I am improving relations with France and England and think I could defend with Morocco Tunis and Leon so long as its only Aragon or Portugal without much help.

Meanwhile I dont know whether I can afford to make an investment in colonizing as a first idea group or whether I should get admin/religious, or a military idea like Quantity or Offensive

It's definitely worth taking as much as possible from Castille because once they pick up Finish the Reconquista they will never stop coming at you if they have any military advantage. Aragon grabbing La Mancha kinda sucks though cause that gold mine really helps early on.

Be careful maintaining your alliance with Morocco. If Portugal picks up the mission to conquer Tangiers or finds any reason to fight Morocco you'll get dragged into that war and Morocco will gladly let you eat all of Portugal and Aragon's armies and beat off their amphibious assault.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Oh man, this plus being able to use them in war mean Protectorates are finally going to be useful.
Maybe now I won't disable them all the time. Or maybe not because it's freaking bullshit that I suddenly stop being able to vassalize any of my neighbors after I westernize. Also I want everything to be mine! Give me control of your pathetic and weak nation so I can use your troops for sieging until I annex it and spread glorious correct map color over the area. Submit and/or die! :argh:

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 20, 2015

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Stream with Wiz and DDRJake about the features of the new expansion starts in 15 minutes. http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Patch notes teasers from the stream, for those who missed it:
Base number of buildings increased from one to two. (Farmlands reduced to one, but get a dev cost reduction)
Autonomy is now more effective, flatly multiplying final results rather than being a modifier that slots in.
Centers of Reformation now have to have at least 10 development.
Improving someones opinion of you also improves your opinion of them.
You can't make peace treaties your allies don't accept (no longer dropping a coalition onto an ally, RIP)
AI's don't westernize if they're protectorates.
Protectorates will base their liberty desire off of all protectorates.
Maximum number of custom nations is now 75, up from 32.
Buddhism buffs, it doesn't take as fast and the low/high karma effects have been flipped.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So autonomy is stronger?

E: Oh hey maybe Buddhism won't be awful to play now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tendronai posted:

Base number of buildings increased from one to two. (Farmlands reduced to one, but get a dev cost reduction)
Autonomy is now more effective, flatly multiplying final results rather than being a modifier that slots in.
You can't make peace treaties your allies don't accept (no longer dropping a coalition onto an ally, RIP)
Buddhism buffs, it doesn't take as fast and the low/high karma effects have been flipped.
:swoon:

In completely unrelated news I'm only three more hours from reaching 1000 played.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I've never actually made a protectorate. What do they do?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You get half their trade power, they get a tech discount, and as of Cossacks you'll be able to call them into your colonial wars.

Tendronai posted:

All of this is great, but so happy the Reformation can't start in Iceland anymore.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Half of their trade power? Why wouldn't i just conquer them for my CN anyway

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Before you always would. But now you'll be able to use them like subjects to conquer their neighbors.

Plus they work outside the Americas. It also just stops the other Euros from conquering them, making for prettier borders, which is always the top priority.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah protectorates are more targeted at Africa, India, and southeast Asia, where you can't form CNs anyway.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There's a subject interaction with them that lets you grab all their trade power, and you can even steal important provinces off them with another. I actually use them pretty routinely even in the current version; expanding into Asia is entirely about the trade power, and they let you do that just as well without spending a billion admin points on coring poo poo. The westernization thing was annoying but I never got why people thought they're useless.

To be honest I actually think they'll be worse now; them relating their power to other vassals is gonna make doing like the British and having a giant pile of Indian protectorates practically impossible. I hope at least they'll have a big malus to liberty desire.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

There's also the fact that you can always protectorate a country in a single war. Doesn't matter if it's a OPM with three development or Mega Ming with 3000. One 100% peace deal is sufficient to subjugate them.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The protectorate change is very nice. It was super loving annoying to have them westernize out from under you before, meaning you had to go to the :effort: of conquering a bunch of places where you really just wanted a little trade power. This will make them significantly more useful.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
So I just started an Ottomans game, and it's 1460 and I've just converted to Catholicism with about 100% religious unity, and it's time for me to pick my first idea group, and I'm really struggling with the decision. I know that humanism is probably the best one to synergize with the Ottomans and all the heathen land I'm going to be conquering, but I really love the idea of taking religious for the CB going east and minimizing AE. Anyone have advice on the first 2-3 idea groups to take for a playthrough like this? I'm assuming influence and administrative need to make an appearance as well.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Palleon posted:

So I just started an Ottomans game, and it's 1460 and I've just converted to Catholicism with about 100% religious unity, and it's time for me to pick my first idea group, and I'm really struggling with the decision. I know that humanism is probably the best one to synergize with the Ottomans and all the heathen land I'm going to be conquering, but I really love the idea of taking religious for the CB going east and minimizing AE. Anyone have advice on the first 2-3 idea groups to take for a playthrough like this? I'm assuming influence and administrative need to make an appearance as well.

I just did this, my two cents-

Definitely take Admin and Influence. Probably Admin first and get the first three ideas for super cheap cores.

Humanist vs. Religious will depend on your goals. Are you doing tryhard Ironman for "get huge" achievements like world conquest, 1000 provinces, conquering India, etc? Probably want Religious, Humanist if you're not looking to do rapid conquest. Humanist will make the Reformation quite a bit smoother if you decide to convert again to Protestant, with Religious you'll have a few slightly rocky decades dealing with revolts and conversion. Humanist also allows you to get more out of your conquered provinces, which is not terribly useful if they're all 75% minimum autonomy as overseas.

The CB is a huge deal since otherwise you're stuck with fabricating claims until you unlock Imperialism, and you'll be paying higher AE and diplomatic points for your un-claimed provinces until that point.

The other major consideration is if you're going to create blocking vassals (like Syria etc) and exploit the overseas coring discount. I don't see an advantage to the cultural acceptance and tolerance in Humanist for the 75% minimum autonomy overseas provinces, they're going to be poo poo anyway and having the cultures accepted isn't going to make much difference at 75% autonomy.

Looking for max-speed expansion and planning to exploit overseas coring discount? Go Religious.
Not aiming for any of the large-scale conquest achievements and/or not bothering with trying to take advantage of overseas coring discount? Go Humanist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

I just did this, my two cents-

Definitely take Admin and Influence. Probably Admin first and get the first three ideas for super cheap cores.

Humanist vs. Religious will depend on your goals. Are you doing tryhard Ironman for "get huge" achievements like world conquest, 1000 provinces, conquering India, etc? Probably want Religious, Humanist if you're not looking to do rapid conquest. Humanist will make the Reformation quite a bit smoother if you decide to convert again to Protestant, with Religious you'll have a few slightly rocky decades dealing with revolts and conversion. Humanist also allows you to get more out of your conquered provinces, which is not terribly useful if they're all 75% minimum autonomy as overseas.

The CB is a huge deal since otherwise you're stuck with fabricating claims until you unlock Imperialism, and you'll be paying higher AE and diplomatic points for your un-claimed provinces until that point.

The other major consideration is if you're going to create blocking vassals (like Syria etc) and exploit the overseas coring discount. I don't see an advantage to the cultural acceptance and tolerance in Humanist for the 75% minimum autonomy overseas provinces, they're going to be poo poo anyway and having the cultures accepted isn't going to make much difference at 75% autonomy.

Looking for max-speed expansion and planning to exploit overseas coring discount? Go Religious.
Not aiming for any of the large-scale conquest achievements and/or not bothering with trying to take advantage of overseas coring discount? Go Humanist.

Thanks. I'm quasi going for WC, but I probably will just get close since I'm never comfortable doing the amount of micromanagement hell that seems to be required to get everything done in time. But I do plan to push out as far as I can go, so religious seems to be a better choice (and my goal is to eventually go Protestant).

• Locked thread