Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I bought it at 8PM last night so I wasn't going to hang around in the ice storm to take pictures. I'll see if I can get some tonight after I've had a chance to regard its beautiful baleen flanks and golf ball cosplay hood in the sober light of morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It looks like red deer blew the entire snow removal budget on road salt. There are already vehicles driving around like its the rear end end of winter.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

It looks like red deer blew the entire snow removal budget on road salt. There are already vehicles driving around like its the rear end end of winter.

It's a ploy to dissolve all the 1970 hunting wagons driving around right now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

It's a ploy to dissolve all the 1970 hunting wagons driving around right now.

The obvious collateral damage being your average mazda won't see the end of winter.

it's unbelievable, the highways are white.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'll probably be looking for a half decent truck in the next year or two. Is it even worth it to look at the auctions if I'm looking for a quad/crew cab half ton with a mid range trim level that hasn't been abused or miled out, in the $10-20k price range?

I'm thinking that those trucks will be so popular that I wouldn't get any advantage over just looking on kijiji.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Winter reminds me why I'm not buying another black car. :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'll probably be looking for a half decent truck in the next year or two. Is it even worth it to look at the auctions if I'm looking for a quad/crew cab half ton with a mid range trim level that hasn't been abused or miled out, in the $10-20k price range?

I'm thinking that those trucks will be so popular that I wouldn't get any advantage over just looking on kijiji.

Absolutely, you can find trucks that look nearly new with ~50k kms for 50% of retail.

My old man just bought an F250, on the super duty you can check the engine hours. It was an ex-husky truck at ~90k kms, a moving average of over 78kph, and a glovebox full of receipts for synthetic oil changes every 5000kms.

Just think of how many hours you have to spend at 100kph to make up for half an hour of sitting in traffic at 10kph.

edit: when i paid $14,900 for my king ranch, they were ~$28k retail. It wasn't really abused, but it was a 5.4 that ran into the 5.4ey problems. The chevy my dad bought a few years ago was abused, but he bought it at about 90k and took it in and they replaced half of the truck under warranty anyways.

If you're spending 20 grand, buy something with a warranty still on it.

edit2: during the summer, there were brand new, 2015 f-250 crew cabs with 30-50kms on them that went for $30k. sticker on them would have been in the 50s. Something like this would have been $50k after rebates, and with 100k on it will go for about $22-24k, http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=18/11/2015%5E428eecaa48a84c1a817a34aa462092c2 out of warranty, but still not hard to see if it's been abused, and there's definitely still a lot of life left either way.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 19, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Powershift posted:

The obvious collateral damage being your average mazda won't see the end of winter.

it's unbelievable, the highways are white.

This is what Ontario is like every year :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8ender posted:

This is what Ontario is like every year :(

Yeah, but ontario is a desolate wasteland full of mutants and misery. It doesn't matter because there's nowhere to drive to.

We've had some bad years of salt, but the roads are already bone dry.

This is winter 2012 or 2013. salt so thick it flakes off.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Powershift posted:

Absolutely, you can find trucks that look nearly new with ~50k kms for 50% of retail.

My old man just bought an F250, on the super duty you can check the engine hours. It was an ex-husky truck at ~90k kms, a moving average of over 78kph, and a glovebox full of receipts for synthetic oil changes every 5000kms.

Just think of how many hours you have to spend at 100kph to make up for half an hour of sitting in traffic at 10kph.

edit: when i paid $14,900 for my king ranch, they were ~$28k retail. It wasn't really abused, but it was a 5.4 that ran into the 5.4ey problems. The chevy my dad bought a few years ago was abused, but he bought it at about 90k and took it in and they replaced half of the truck under warranty anyways.

If you're spending 20 grand, buy something with a warranty still on it.

edit2: during the summer, there were brand new, 2015 f-250 crew cabs with 30-50kms on them that went for $30k. sticker on them would have been in the 50s. Something like this would have been $50k after rebates, and with 100k on it will go for about $22-24k, http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=18/11/2015%5E428eecaa48a84c1a817a34aa462092c2 out of warranty, but still not hard to see if it's been abused, and there's definitely still a lot of life left either way.

Ah, okay. So probably still $5-10k less than kijiji deals? An equivalent truck looks like it would be around $30k on kijiji right now. So the auction might be worth it.

If that FX4 came with the ecoboost it would be my ideal truck. :swoon:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That same truck with the ecoboost and 107k went for $25k at the last auction. The appearance package was only a $1500 option, but it seems to add $5k to the value used.

It would be similar to this. $12,000 less with 25000 more kms and no chance to test drive.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2013-ford-f-150-fx4/1116831764?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

It's more of a risk, but $12k is a whole lot of money.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've mentioned before but the crew cab HD ram with gas motor I purchased was a good deal. Top slt trim level (everything but leather and moonroof)

Sticker price $54,000, I paid 17 after tax etc.

Currently not using it for anything because I'm afraid to purchase a travel trailer until after spring breakup.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but ontario is a desolate wasteland full of mutants and misery. It doesn't matter because there's nowhere to drive to.

We've had some bad years of salt, but the roads are already bone dry.

This is winter 2012 or 2013. salt so thick it flakes off.

That was probably 2013, I remember because at one point after a highway voyage I kicked my quarter panel to see a solid sheet of salt slip out in a perfect reverse image of my wheelhouse.

To think these same motherfuckers tell us not to wash our cars in the driveway because it might damage the water supply.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It's pretty effective weed control along the shoulders though. Only thing that will grow there soon is mangrove trees.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seriously how the gently caress is Concept 1 still in business? They don't even carry drum brake stuff for water cooled anymore.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Because air-cooled people are stupid and bad with money.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Seriously how the gently caress is Concept 1 still in business? They don't even carry drum brake stuff for water cooled anymore.

Concept 1 is just one of many Calgary businesses that somehow stay in business despite me never having successfully completed a transaction with them, no matter how much effort I put into them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm honestly just shocked the air cooled market is that big in Calgary. Each year has to be just slightly worse for them, I'd figure they'd be expanding their watercooled inventory not discontinuing stuff. It's not like you can't get alot of this stuff anymore.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, with the Internet, you can go straight to their supplier basically. You would think this would either force companies to be really good at what they do our go out of business. Somehow a pile of shitlord companies keep chugging along.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Powershift posted:

Yeah, with the Internet, you can go straight to their supplier basically. You would think this would either force companies to be really good at what they do our go out of business. Somehow a pile of shitlord companies keep chugging along.

People are idiots and will pay stupid prices because they can't be bothered to put 5 seconds of effort into googling something for a multi-thousand dollar purchases. From the looks of things there is no correlation between money and intelligence.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Remember the other thing, in fact I would say is is the main thing, that C1 does is cater to the water-cooled Stance Nation type, and those guys have no problem pissing away $texas to look like morons.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MrChips posted:

Remember the other thing, in fact I would say is is the main thing, that C1 does is cater to the water-cooled Stance Nation type, and those guys have no problem pissing away $texas to look like morons.

I completely forgot they catered to those guys as well, which explains a lot.

I was kind of hoping they forgot to raise their prices for the currency difference which is why I checked their site out. Not really the case unfortunately.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This morning I registered my Alberta Summer Truck in Ontario, a process that (surprise!) required me to obtain the empty weight of her, because she's a pick-up rather than a car. 2055kg according to the local dump ("Our scales are calibrated 4 times a year!"), which was information I was curious about in any case. Around 50kg of that is the crap behind the seats I haven't bothered to remove.

I plan to keep my AB license plate as a souvenir anyways, would it still work (with new stickers, presumably) if I brought it to Alberta next summer and bought another vehicle?

Thanks again to everyone in this thread who helped me get that truck (pretty much everybody). The plan worked out amazingly well, which I think I've mentioned before, and I need to write up the experience because the short version is: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. If you find yourself in another province for a few months, I would absolutely recommend purchasing a local beater and bringing it home.

EDIT: Picture because why not
SD 144 Topper and Ferry 7 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 19, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Powershift posted:

This is also true of the firearms industry

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DrakeriderCa posted:

This is also true of the firearms industry

When I was looking for lead ballast for my kart I got a quote from a local ammunition store for $5/lb. Legitimately don't know how they managed to stay in business.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ExecuDork posted:

I plan to keep my AB license plate as a souvenir anyways, would it still work (with new stickers, presumably) if I brought it to Alberta next summer and bought another vehicle?

Sure would. You can return it for a little cash if there's any time left on the stickers, but yeah, just keep it and use it again next time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

People are idiots and will pay stupid prices because they can't be bothered to put 5 seconds of effort into googling something for a multi-thousand dollar purchases. From the looks of things there is no correlation between money and intelligence.

To be fair a lot of the shops in Calgary have altered themselves from being "speed shops" to being "build stores." I can think of a few shops I've frequented in the past that now have trouble finding schedule time for something like a single mod install or small maintenance jobs when they've got two mega-horsepower GT-R builds in the queue.

I would assume Concept 1 is the same way; unless you have an enormous end-to-end build for them that they can Fast 'N' Loud huge margins out of they can't really justify the time to be a well-stocked and responsive retail shop on top of that.

If you have competent techs - and more importantly, high quality management - that can approach big projects instead of jobber maintenance it's hard to say "yeah we'll keep doing small-fry jobber maintenance with a high level of quality" when you could say "gently caress that let's go to SEMA."

In the past, my solution has been to look for up & coming indies outside of the major urban centres but that's going to be a lot harder in this recession. It's a big reason why I started doing all of my own work.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 19, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The ultimate first world problem.

Had to boost the BMW because I haven't driven it in a month.

The Lincoln fired up instantly this morning at -15. Also did this the other day.

So many mpgs. Like, over 15

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

That chrome bumper, god drat. How long does it take you to polish that thing?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

That chrome bumper, god drat. How long does it take you to polish that thing?

I've never touched it. it's like, perma-polished. It's legit 70s "the guy who chromed this died at 35" deadly chemical chrome.

The rear bumper is even more insane. roughly 15 square feet of chrome.

In even better news, the shell pump hoses now reach the gas tank, so i don't have to park at a janky angle and hold the nozzle upside down anymore.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

In even better news, the shell pump hoses now reach the gas tank, so i don't have to park at a janky angle and hold the nozzle upside down anymore.

When you parked at a janky angle, could anybody else even use a pump at that station? Your car is, what, just a hair shy of 20 feet long?

Also, clean the drat snow off your rear window you barbarian.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

When you parked at a janky angle, could anybody else even use a pump at that station? Your car is, what, just a hair shy of 20 feet long?

He did, that snow is from the southernmost continent of the interior, which has a different climate since it's after the in-cabin hot tub.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Why, who gives a poo poo about whoever is behind me 8)

And yeah, i had to basically back in with the bumper towards the pump, so it took up 2 pumps, so i stopped fueling up there for a while. Nobody else actually has ethanol free gas. costco's is still between 9 and 10 percent. esso premium which was supposed to be ethanol free is read at 4-5% by ford's flex fuel sensor. Shell regular shows around 5% and their premium 0.8%.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

He did, that snow is from the southernmost continent of the interior, which has a different climate since it's after the in-cabin hot tub.

Exactly, it was nice and sunny looking forward. I can't help that it was snowing at the rearmost peaks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I thought Esso Premium was supposed to still be at least E5, so that doesn't surprise me.

Shell 91 being 0.8% is probably tank leakage if anything.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I thought Esso Premium was supposed to still be at least E5, so that doesn't surprise me.

Shell 91 being 0.8% is probably tank leakage if anything.

Probably just what was left in the tank of the truck.

Esso used to advertise their 91 as ethanol free, but i can't seem to find info on it now.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It'll be a cold day in hell when (if?) Shell goes to an ethanol blend for 91.

For the flex fuel sensor thing, do flex fuel vehicles actually give you a reading for the ethanol content somewhere in the gauge cluster menu's? Or is this an obd2 scanner reading? Or do you have some auxiliary setup for testing fuels? Just curious.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bajaha posted:

It'll be a cold day in hell when (if?) Shell goes to an ethanol blend for 91.

For the flex fuel sensor thing, do flex fuel vehicles actually give you a reading for the ethanol content somewhere in the gauge cluster menu's? Or is this an obd2 scanner reading? Or do you have some auxiliary setup for testing fuels? Just curious.

Cheapo bluetooth ODB dongle and torque pro on android.

With my powertroke i can read the trans slip, backpressure sensor and boost sensor and all kinds of fun stuff, unfortunately, one of the tests it runs kills the engine like most code readers do.

With my dad's gasser F-250, i can read the flex fuel sensor reading, and we've been intentionally filling up at different stations to get a read on the fuel.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There was some discussion awhile back in this thread about ethanol in the cheap fuel vs better mpg from the no ethanol premium blends.

Did anyone come to a dollar value for if the mpg savings outweigh the price hike ?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

There was some discussion awhile back in this thread about ethanol in the cheap fuel vs better mpg from the no ethanol premium blends.

Did anyone come to a dollar value for if the mpg savings outweigh the price hike ?

My car nearly covers the cost difference between costco regular and costco premium.

There's no fuckin way it would cover the difference to shell premium, because right now costco regular is 83.4, shell regular is 89.9, and shell premium is 109.9.

32% is an impossible gap to make up. If the car gets 8 l/100km which is 29.4mpg on costco regular, you would need to get 6.0 l/100km or 40mpg on shell premium to match it.

That's going from V8 BMW to 100hp shitbox territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Cheapo bluetooth ODB dongle and torque pro on android.

I want to set this up. What OBD dongle did you go with? Are you happy with Torque Pro, generally?