Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.

Sigma-X posted:

They are really, really concerned about making the deck values uneven, because it causes huge issues with wholesale sales.

Unfortunately their solution this time seems to have been to print zero interesting cards.

Before the full spoilers I called my LGS to preorder the full set of five, but they weren't sure how much stock they were getting, so I had to wait.
Then I saw the full spoiler and I couldn't summon any interest at all in buying even a single one of those decks.

I feel like I saved $150. Is this what it's like when you don't buy cards? It feels good. Does anyone read this thread who spends no money on Magic? How good does it feel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Recess Rapist posted:

Before the full spoilers I called my LGS to preorder the full set of five, but they weren't sure how much stock they were getting, so I had to wait.
Then I saw the full spoiler and I couldn't summon any interest at all in buying even a single one of those decks.

I feel like I saved $150. Is this what it's like when you don't buy cards? It feels good. Does anyone read this thread who spends no money on Magic? How good does it feel?

Yes and no. I quit Magic (again) about 18 months ago and while I'm clearly off the wagon, I'm at the point where I only acquire cards for my Peasant Cube, which are super super cheap.

It feels pretty good.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Rimusutera posted:

Things WotC would do if they cared about the health of the game

-FIx MTGO's existing problems
-make a duals a platform that is actually good instead of just constantly making a new version
-reprint the original duels in a supplementary product like a Legacy Masters.
-do said Legacy masters thing with more monetary staples
-improve the printing of staples for the next Modern Masters
-continue to reprint shocks and fetches occasionally in standard

These things would actually lead to the moving of a *lot* of product for them. And would only piss off grouches that treat Underground Seas like a 401k.

How did you manage to perfectly mix up "dual" and "duel"?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Twiddy posted:

You'd think the easier solution would be having one guaranteed money reprint per expansion to help equalize any price disparity that would come from an unbalance in the original cards, but what do I know.

I think this is the easy solution on the surface, but finding 5 cards that are equal in street value, that will depreciate due to the reprinting evenly and have even desire across the player base would require a tremendous amount of data to even start making reasonable guesses, and those guesses wouldn't have a high certainty.

In the Vindicate case - Vindicate and Abrupt Decay are both $15 cards, and would fit into the current design of the decks. But Vindicate has much less demand and much less supply, which leads to its $15, whereas Abrupt Decay has much more demand and supply, so reprinting both of them would provide an imbalance despite the fact that they're similar cards in power level with similar prices.

I'm reading the latest M-Files:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/m-files-original-zendikar-block-2015-11-20

Amulet of Vigor's discussion is really useful in illustrating how design uses Psychographics - The designers are very conflicted on whether this card is good/bad/etc, and they've done enough of these to know that when a card polls like that, it has Johnny appeal. This is why the psychographics exist - to ensure that design is building for people that aren't just themselves but instead a wider audience.

e: haha they called out the "nonbo" with Eldrazi Conscription because you don't get the annihilator trigger the first time you attack.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 20, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Twiddy posted:

You'd think the easier solution would be having one guaranteed money reprint per expansion to help equalize any price disparity that would come from an unbalance in the original cards, but what do I know.

I was talking about this with a few people, including our LGS owner, when the last set came out and it had like 2 good cards. Red and white were sold out and none of the others had sold. They should have one decent reprint (Wurmcoil) and one cool, potentially legacy playable card (Containment Priest, Dualcaster) in each set. That avoids the True-Name issue while still making sure people want to buy them. Last year had Wurmcoil, Containment Priest and basically nothing else. This year has... a potential cube card maybe?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Recess Rapist posted:

I don't spend money on magic.

I pretty much only play casually because the magic "community" is a nightmare, so I just proxy everything since no one cares.

It feels pretty great to play vintage without spending money, FYI.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GeneX posted:

I pretty much only play casually because the magic "community" is a nightmare, so I just proxy everything since no one cares.

I don't know who you're playing with but I've hardly had any trouble with anyone in 20+ years. There's a few level 2 judges who come to our store occasionally who are miserable people to play with but that's about it. Aside from that and a few people whining about my playing a little slower than normal in my first few legacy tournaments (Brainstorm is a hard card to resolve!) it's been fine.

GeneX posted:

It feels pretty great to play vintage without spending money, FYI.

I can tell you that it feels even better to own the cards.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Recess Rapist posted:

You could buy the Actual Good Cards from the Commander 2015 set and still save about half a Commander 2015 deck.

The commanders themselves are cheap as gently caress, and the only cards worth noting are honestly the (blue and black, maybe white) Confluences, Command Beacon, and Blade of Selves.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 20, 2015

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Kraus posted:

How did you manage to perfectly mix up "dual" and "duel"?

I just woke up when I typed that.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

suicidesteve posted:

I don't know who you're playing with but I've hardly had any trouble with anyone in 20+ years. There's a few level 2 judges who come to our store occasionally who are miserable people to play with but that's about it. Aside from that and a few people whining about my playing a little slower than normal in my first few legacy tournaments (Brainstorm is a hard card to resolve!) it's been fine.

I only wish your experience was everyone's. It wasn't mine.

quote:

I can tell you that it feels even better to own the cards.

I'm sure.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Recess Rapist posted:

I stopped spending money on Magic a bit before BFZ came out. It feels loving great. I just nab cards here and there on Pucatrade.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
Is disconnecting with a lethal spell on the stack a salty move? Opponent cheerfully wished me good luck and then left before Rolling Thunder resolved.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Recess Rapist posted:

Is disconnecting with a lethal spell on the stack a salty move? Opponent cheerfully wished me good luck and then left before Rolling Thunder resolved.

Not only is it salty and hilarious, it's also bannable. Submit a ticket to support and get them a time out to either stop them from pulling that kind of crap again, or hopefully soliciting a funny and angry tirade from them.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Recess Rapist posted:

scooping when you've lost isn't badmanners.

edit; wait, what do you mean by disconnected here?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Rimusutera posted:

Disconnecting from modo entirely rather than conceding. I think their clock continues until they pass priority, so the round goes to time.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

Disconnecting from modo entirely rather than conceding. I think their clock continues until they pass priority, so the round goes to time.

Um you forfeit after 10 minutes of inactivity iirc.

The next level is to come back after 9 minutes, pass priority, and then hope your opponent went afk.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cactrot posted:

If you do nothing for 10 minutes you auto-lose the match.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004

Rimusutera posted:

It is bad manners making me wait for the timeout instead of just allowing me to win when I won? Yes. I cast Rolling Thunder for lethal, he says gg etc, disconnects before it resolves.

Edit: And I drew no swamps in my final so it's not like I'm stuck playing when I have somewhere to go. Bottom line here is you can be as rude as you like online and nothing of consequence will stem from it ever.

Edit2: I actually lost a quick 0-2 to Quarantine Field, A Pretty Good Card.

Recess Rapist fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 20, 2015

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Entropic posted:

If you do nothing for 10 minutes you auto-lose the match.

Yeah that still sounds lovely to do.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rimusutera posted:

Yeah that still sounds lovely to do.

It is.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I could get 4 jaces right now for 60 bones a piece. But the question is, should i?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rimusutera posted:

Things WotC would do if they cared about the health of the game

-FIx MTGO's existing problems
-make a duals a platform that is actually good instead of just constantly making a new version
-reprint the original duels in a supplementary product like a Legacy Masters.
-do said Legacy masters thing with more monetary staples
-improve the printing of staples for the next Modern Masters
-continue to reprint shocks and fetches occasionally in standard

These things would actually lead to the moving of a *lot* of product for them. And would only piss off grouches that treat Underground Seas like a 401k.

They reprinted Karmic Justice and Black Market in the B/W deck. :shrug: I actually needed those cards.

And I hope 10 of 20 expeditions in OGW are true duals. That would be hilarious.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Recess Rapist posted:

As Ben Franklin once said, "A Standard season unplayed is a thousand bucks earned."

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

vandalism posted:

I could get 4 jaces right now for 60 bones a piece. But the question is, should i?

are you asking us if you should spend $240 on some really really cool cardboard?

the answer is yes.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

JerryLee posted:

As Ben Franklin once said, "A Standard season unplayed is a thousand bucks earned."

But as LSV once said "Join another draft."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Recess Rapist posted:

:feelsgood: i spend or trade magic for board games instead. I actually just got this sweet eurogame called Orleans! It almost got the Kennerspiel des Jahres this year. I think the only money I spend on magic now is a $15 draft and $5 constructed at the beginning of every semester and just ride the store credit until the end.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

:feelsgood: i spend or trade magic for board games instead. I actually just got this sweet eurogame called Orleans! It almost got the Kennerspiel des Jahres this year. I think the only money I spend on magic now is a $15 draft and $5 constructed at the beginning of every semester and just ride the store credit until the end.

So do you just like, play RDW at the beginning of every standard in every event you can attend and make oodles or

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey guys, Magic singles or boosters or whatever make nice xmas gifts that you could receive from an anonymous goon in the mail, if you participate in this year's Trad Games Secret Santa thread! You also get to send a present secretly to some other TG goon, who probably doesn't want Magic cards but maybe they do! It will be a random chance. Check it out, it's fun.

Posted with Ettin's permission.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Recess Rapist posted:

I also don't spend any money on it.

This is strictly my preference, but I feel mtg was best for me when it was myself and 3 others making goofy terrible decks out of a camp counselors old rear end card collection of Craw Wurms and Frozen Shades. Limited pools, basically.

I imagine pre-web you had your local car shop or friends to get cards from. If a card from a set didn't exist between the two, you were poo poo out of luck. Nowadays if you want to play a deck, $20 and a few google searches and boom you've got that deck.

So, instead of spending that $20, I just proxy cards. Draw up a goofy picture for it, print it out, put it over some generic lands, and play it in a sleeve. I don't like to play super competitive, nor do I just proxy out P9 so most folks I play with don't seem to mind. Granted, between me drawing the card up, printing it, and cutting it up, I might be spending $20 worth of effort, but it still feels more like I earned the deck than just going on some online market for it or playing the booster lottery.

Feel's good.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I've probably spent around 1500 in the past 4 months since coming back and honestly it feels pretty drat good to just drop 400 on cards whenever I want and remembering back to when I had to beg my dad to give me 10 bucks to buy a clockwork avian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RubBzkZzpUA :slick:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is the GP stream starting at round 3? Pretty lame, I wanted to catch some early games.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Well, a shitlord-filled semi-local store/minor online retailer Legitmtg.com, formerly known as The Lotus Guardian before they bought the brand from the previous owner, got burgled of all the cards in its display case a few days ago.

police blotter posted:

• Approximately 100,000 Magic The Gathering cards worth $50,000 were reported stolen in a Sunday burglary at Legit MTG, 527 Emory Drive.

https://twitter.com/LegitMTG/status/666304369365749760

I wouldn't pity them much, they sell played (not lightly played) cards as near mint online, had been broken into previously and never got an alarm or camera system, and have a local reputation of sanctioning tournaments during the day in the middle of the week that somehow manage to get enough people to keep up their store status even though you can't fit 32 people in the store at once.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

KidDynamite posted:

Is the GP stream starting at round 3? Pretty lame, I wanted to catch some early games.

What format is this GP? I'm not in a position to check.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Modern

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

KidDynamite posted:

Don't they always do that? You can't just put random people on camera and anyone notable has byes for those rounds.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

You can't just put random people on camera

Why not? I mean certainly it would be less interesting to most of the audience but surely it's better than dead air?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

Why not? I mean certainly it would be less interesting to most of the audience but surely it's better than dead air?

Because they like to present big tournaments as high-level events, not people forgetting how to sequence the Splinter Twin combo.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Because they like to present big tournaments as high-level events, not people forgetting how to sequence the Splinter Twin combo.

It's a Grand Prix, not a pro tour. Yeah, it's "high level" but everyone knows there's a ton of randoms there.

I mean, I see what you're saying and this is something we can reasonably disagree on, but I'm just not buying that having randoms on camera would irreparably damage the brand or something.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

ChannelFireball didn't have any issues showing all the rounds, and that was Legacy. There's, what, 2500 people there? Can't they find 2-3 folks who aren't going to forget their Splinter Twin sequence or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Serperoth posted:

ChannelFireball didn't have any issues showing all the rounds, and that was Legacy. There's, what, 2500 people there? Can't they find 2-3 folks who aren't going to forget their Splinter Twin sequence or something?

If CFB didn't show those first few rounds, we wouldn't have ever been blessed with WastelandKarl. Do the brave thing Wizards. Show us the jank.

• Locked thread