Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Taffer posted:

All of it? :stare:

That's some awesome work, definitely the best out of the trailer. Sucks you didn't enjoy it.

There was me and one other modeler and another who was with us kind of part time so I was the "lead" and did end up with my hands on most of the assets. In these trailer shots I didn't do that temple in the BG and the obelisks and temples around the place.

I wish I did enjoy the work 'cos it pays well and the people I worked with are nice.

*edit* looking at the chatter about it just now, maybe the racist-casting-issues backlash will overshadow the being-a-poo poo-movie backlash.

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Awesome work EoinCannon, you've always been a modest baller when it comes to doing a good job at whatever you're working on. If you don't feel like it's the right place to be I'm sure there'd be some other industry or company that would love to have you. Do you know what kinda field you're considering?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I've heard of plenty of people in the industry who burn out after especially long and/or stressful projects, but are better after a few months of rest and a bit of personal work. Film VFX is famous for this kinda poo poo though, so hopefully you can take a break between projects and get back doing work you enjoy.

Which field are you retraining for? Video games, or something unrelated to the visual arts?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cheers guys, I've been cramming all the maths I never paid attention to in school before I start a science/biology bachelor next year, hopefully.

I still do bits and pieces of freelance on TV commercials here and there which I enjoy and do personal 3D projects.
The long projects on film really wear me down though, the number of shots and complex pipelines and constantly shifting direction and notes from production are only tolerable if you have a passion for film, which I don't.
I've worked on something like 10 films and I've watched 3 of them I think.
Depending on what happens, I would consider looking into doing 3d in a different industry, I don't think I would survive games cos I don't play them, but smaller project things like TVC, and maybe arch viz I maybe could manage, I'll try the science thing first though.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

EoinCannon posted:

There was me and one other modeler and another who was with us kind of part time so I was the "lead" and did end up with my hands on most of the assets. In these trailer shots I didn't do that temple in the BG and the obelisks and temples around the place.

I wish I did enjoy the work 'cos it pays well and the people I worked with are nice.

*edit* looking at the chatter about it just now, maybe the racist-casting-issues backlash will overshadow the being-a-poo poo-movie backlash.

Mind elaborating about the issues? I understand of course if you don't wanna say too much.

I don't work in film but... In the industry let's say. The whole culture of underpaying and overworking and undervalue of good workers is a big problem where I am, I'm curious if that was the reason. I feel like it's an important thing to speak out about because quite frankly it's bullshit and really needs to change. I'm trying to shift to a different industry because of it, which is a real shame because I like the work.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Taffer posted:

Mind elaborating about the issues? I understand of course if you don't wanna say too much.

I don't work in film but... In the industry let's say. The whole culture of underpaying and overworking and undervalue of good workers is a big problem where I am, I'm curious if that was the reason. I feel like it's an important thing to speak out about because quite frankly it's bullshit and really needs to change. I'm trying to shift to a different industry because of it, which is a real shame because I like the work.

My issues were not so much about my workplace specifically, I think they make every effort to treat and pay people well, insofar as that's possible while remaining competitive in a messed up industry. It's a smaller place outside the major film hubs so its a bit different I guess. For me it was a combination of working very hard for extended periods on a product I personally felt was meaningless, and my own personal problems with stress and anxiety. I didn't even have to do crazy overtime, I just found the stress wasn't balanced out by the creative satisfaction.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I hated working on longer productions. I work in gaming (as in slot machines) now and it's 12 different projects a year so its great because I dont have time to get bored on anything. :v:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
We are delivering a project that I've been running full time for nearly 5 months next week, on final color adjustments making all the shots consistent and i have completely lost the will to live.
Funny thing is we've not even had to do overtime on it, but it still feels like I have been because it's consumed my every thought for months.
I know that probably pretty short as far as long projects go in other industries but man I am so over it.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
The current project we're finishing off here (Animation) has apparently been worked on for about 2+ years now, maybe even 4.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

EoinCannon posted:

Cheers guys, I've been cramming all the maths I never paid attention to in school before I start a science/biology bachelor next year, hopefully.

I still do bits and pieces of freelance on TV commercials here and there which I enjoy and do personal 3D projects.
The long projects on film really wear me down though, the number of shots and complex pipelines and constantly shifting direction and notes from production are only tolerable if you have a passion for film, which I don't.
I've worked on something like 10 films and I've watched 3 of them I think.
Depending on what happens, I would consider looking into doing 3d in a different industry, I don't think I would survive games cos I don't play them, but smaller project things like TVC, and maybe arch viz I maybe could manage, I'll try the science thing first though.

Use your 3D skills to invent, innovate and improve things using science and be the next Dean Kamen!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

EoinCannon posted:

My issues were not so much about my workplace specifically, I think they make every effort to treat and pay people well, insofar as that's possible while remaining competitive in a messed up industry. It's a smaller place outside the major film hubs so its a bit different I guess. For me it was a combination of working very hard for extended periods on a product I personally felt was meaningless, and my own personal problems with stress and anxiety. I didn't even have to do crazy overtime, I just found the stress wasn't balanced out by the creative satisfaction.

What are you looking to do with a science degree? Because working very hard for extended periods with little satisfaction at the end is a big caveat in academic research.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not a science degree, scientific visualization.

Then Eoin can go work on making animation for CSI :v:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Listerine posted:

What are you looking to do with a science degree? Because working very hard for extended periods with little satisfaction at the end is a big caveat in academic research.

That's a very good point. Not entirely sure what the end goal is, I've just always been interested in biology and it seemed like the time to have a crack. I wanted to study English lit but i thought best to keep that as a hobby as I'd like to learn skills that can get me a job. I guess it's never sat comfortably with me being employed as an "artist", I don't have the self confidence for it. I found it nerve wracking to make creative decisions that effected other artists up and down the pipe and seeing those decisions writ large on the screen is oddly confronting. An anxious temperament, perfectionist tendencies and poor coping skills are not a great mix in vfx.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Not a science degree, scientific visualization.

Then Eoin can go work on making animation for CSI :v:

My life's calling is to do photorealistic flythroughs of exotic foreign objects rupturing internal organs.

What's poker machine work like? I've seen job listings for it come up more frequently of late

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I hosed up. How do I fix this surface so it's co-planar/not concave?

I S-T-R-U-G-G-L-E with this sort of thing, how do I avoid making bad geometry like this?

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 20, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

z

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 16, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

StickFigs posted:

I hosed up. How do I fix this surface so it's co-planar/not concave?

I S-T-R-U-G-G-L-E with this sort of thing, how do I avoid making bad geometry like this?

There's a thread for that: http://polycount.com/discussion/56014/faq-how-u-model-dem-shapes-subd-mini-tuts-aka-use-the-right-amount-of-geo

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

I'll check it out. Thanks!

EDIT: Cross-post: http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2386716/#Comment_2386716

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 20, 2015

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Hey EoinCannon, one of my former instructors at Gnomon does scientific visualization for a living, he previously did biology but I believe now his current thing is insects. His name is Eric Keller , he's published a few ZBrush books as well. Here's his site: http://bloopatone.blogspot.com/

Might give you some inspiration or if you shoot him an email he could give you some insights onto the biology-type field of 3D. Super nice guy, and well respected among the 3D community.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This week I downloaded BlackMagic's FUSION 8 beta, (finally available on mac) and started to mess with it.

NO AUDIO? What the hell's the point then?

Next, I downloaded Houdini, using the apprentice license, (free).

Has anybody messed with Houdini? Does it have any value over other products?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

magnificent7 posted:

This week I downloaded BlackMagic's FUSION 8 beta, (finally available on mac) and started to mess with it.

You're kind of looking at different disciplines here. Fusion is more of a compositor and Houdini is more of a content creator. Although neither is really exclusive to that.

Both are strong programs, but judging by the MoGraph thread, if that's your target approach then you probably want to look at C4D + AE. It sounds like you already have AE and it has semi-native C4D integration.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

magnificent7 posted:

lol i think you have the wrong tool for whatever you're trying to do.

Fusion is for stuff like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USS84b1iUp4
and assembling shots out of 10 different rendered layers/integrating them into filmed footage. If there is animation to be timed to audio it should already be done before it's rendered and brought into fusion. it's not a motion graphics tool.

edit: I just googled and there is full audio support which plays as you scrub the timeline. it's in the saver.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 20, 2015

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wow drat. Yeah. I am totally chasing my tail on this.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It's not a great waveform view but maybe you could use fusion for this actually

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

lol i think you have the wrong tool for whatever you're trying to do.

Fusion is for stuff like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USS84b1iUp4
and assembling shots out of 10 different rendered layers/integrating them into filmed footage. If there is animation to be timed to audio it should already be done before it's rendered and brought into fusion. it's not a motion graphics tool.

edit: I just googled and there is full audio support which plays as you scrub the timeline. it's in the saver.

Not in opposition to your video that you posted, but it reminded me that if anybody is an AE user, you should absolutely buy MochaImport+ from AEScripts. Holy hell that thing is an insanely powerful plugin when paired with MochaAE (which comes bundled with AE CC of course).

It has a feature similar to this called Stabilize Precomp. It's more 2D based (because AE's 3D implementation is basically diarrhea) but just as effective and ridiculously quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZSvYt3c-7o

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 20, 2015

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

magnificent7 posted:

Houdini is mostly used in VFX, but I do know of some people using it for mograph work, and there are actually a few cmiVFX tutorials on using Houdini in that context. One of the major draws of Houdini is its focus on allowing users to create highly customized, reusable tools out of lower level nodes, which of course is something that can definitely be an advantage for mograph work as well. That said, yeah, C4D and AE are still definitely the established weapons of choice for most motion graphics studios right now.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I just remembered this exists - http://helloluxx.com/product/houdini-training-user-interfaces-motion-graphics/

He does motion graphics stuff in houdini and makes it look easy. That's his first training material, i remember seeing it advertised around.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Thanks for the Zbrush help guys, is there a good resource for what each of the brushes do and what they can be used for anywhere?

I managed to block out some hair, still no idea what I'm doing when it comes to characters but learning Zbrush is pretty fun, I could see why its would be great to do hard poly stuff in.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks for everybody's input.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

cubicle gangster posted:

I just remembered this exists - http://helloluxx.com/product/houdini-training-user-interfaces-motion-graphics/

He does motion graphics stuff in houdini and makes it look easy. That's his first training material, i remember seeing it advertised around.

It's not his first training, just his first training on motion graphics.

http://www.rohandalvi.net/home

I've done a few of his other ones and I like his teaching style, he teaches the software by trying to solve a problem instead of doing the whole "let's look at every tab and function in the UI" approach. So you learn about different things as you need them. In the tea and cookies lesson he covers several types of ways to model which I thought was great, from regular polygon type modeling to generating shapes using vdb nodes and noise.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Yo Mutata are you coming to CTN this year with the Disney guys?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nay! A lowly artist like me has nothing to offer there. I've never been, actually, I should go one of these days...

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Cyne posted:

Houdini is mostly used in VFX, but I do know of some people using it for mograph work, and there are actually a few cmiVFX tutorials on using Houdini in that context. One of the major draws of Houdini is its focus on allowing users to create highly customized, reusable tools out of lower level nodes, which of course is something that can definitely be an advantage for mograph work as well. That said, yeah, C4D and AE are still definitely the established weapons of choice for most motion graphics studios right now.

Next maya will probably have some good stuff for motion graphics since autodesk bought mash.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

keyframe posted:

Next maya will probably have some good stuff for motion graphics since autodesk bought mash.

I would love this. I pretty much use Maya for 3D exclusively because I've literally been using it since v1 (sup SGI O2 machines!) and am nearing 40 and too goddamned lazy and ingrained to learn another 3D program and most of my work now is mograph based.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ceebee posted:

Hey EoinCannon, one of my former instructors at Gnomon does scientific visualization for a living, he previously did biology but I believe now his current thing is insects. His name is Eric Keller , he's published a few ZBrush books as well. Here's his site: http://bloopatone.blogspot.com/

Might give you some inspiration or if you shoot him an email he could give you some insights onto the biology-type field of 3D. Super nice guy, and well respected among the 3D community.

That looks cool, thanks for the link!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BonoMan posted:

I would love this. I pretty much use Maya for 3D exclusively because I've literally been using it since v1 (sup SGI O2 machines!) and am nearing 40 and too goddamned lazy and ingrained to learn another 3D program and most of my work now is mograph based.

Yea you will love the next release.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
keyframe where you gettin this insider information fill us in bruv

We're still using Maya 2014 at work, wish they would splurge and get us 2016 but they're hesitant at the moment.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ceebee posted:

keyframe where you gettin this insider information fill us in bruv

We're still using Maya 2014 at work, wish they would splurge and get us 2016 but they're hesitant at the moment.

Get on the subscription!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Not sure if we're on the subscription, we got Adobe Creative Cloud now but even that took us forever to get out of CS5-CS6. I should check and see. I'm trying to get our character and environment guys using Maya more now that all our animators and riggers use it. Going to/from Max and Maya is a loving nightmare when it comes to consistency, even with FBX files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ceebee posted:

Not sure if we're on the subscription, we got Adobe Creative Cloud now but even that took us forever to get out of CS5-CS6. I should check and see. I'm trying to get our character and environment guys using Maya more now that all our animators and riggers use it. Going to/from Max and Maya is a loving nightmare when it comes to consistency, even with FBX files.

Yeah holy poo poo you'd think it'd be a no-brainer considering the money you'd save in productivity.