Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

William Bear posted:

Rubio: The bigger problem we have is our inability to find out where these places are

Someone please troll Rubio with a pic of google map search results for mosques and shawarma restaurants. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

That isn't what exactly what I heard but they are going to be relentless in attacking Trump in the next month. Ads, surrogates and etc. Although I suspect they could get what they want simply by asking Trump outrageous questions and let him take it from there.

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

It's strange Joe isn't constantly called out on this nonsense. Let's throw out all available data and instead use ~my feels~

Basically a Ron Paul voter at this point.

What a poo poo post. You think Joementum is basically a Ron Paul voter because he thinks Nate Silver is correct? That doesn't even make sense.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

sharkbomb posted:

Oh, look, another GOP operative making bank off of desperate Republican donors. The only thing notable about this particular effort is that they got a story into the WSJ to advertise that they're open for business. Time to cash in with those fat consultant fees!

If you read between the lines it seems many GOP donors are actually wary about giving to this initiative as they don't want to get hit on the backlash.

I can see Donald Trump taking to twitter and personally insulting every single donor to this pac, Iron Sheik style.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

How about they spend their efforts pushing Jeb out of the race and consolidating behind Rubio before it's too late? That would be too smart, right?

This will anger the Trump.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

WASHINGTON—According to a poll released Friday by the Pew Research Center, 23 percent of Americans would vote for Jeb Bush in the presidential election if the Republican candidate was standing directly beside them in the voting booth. “We surveyed over a thousand likely voters and found that nearly a quarter were inclined to cast a ballot for Jeb Bush in 2016, provided the candidate was in the same cramped booth silently watching them,” said Pew spokesman Michael Barker, who noted that an additional 12 percent of respondents described themselves as “likely” Bush voters should the former Florida governor be waiting for them when they parted the booth’s curtains and then proceed to stand close enough behind them that they could feel his warm breath on their neck as they voted. “It has to be encouraging for the Bush campaign that almost four in 10 Americans would choose Jeb for president if he simply stood there occasionally clearing his throat, making eye contact, or repeatedly whimpering ‘please’ within the close confines of a balloting booth.” The poll also showed that the remaining 60 percent of U.S. voters would support Jeb Bush in the general election in the event he physically grabbed their hand and forcibly marked the ballot.

lmao Jeb! even getting burned by pollster nerds

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Mitt Romney posted:

That isn't what exactly what I heard but they are going to be relentless in attacking Trump in the next month. Ads, surrogates and etc. Although I suspect they could get what they want simply by asking Trump outrageous questions and let him take it from there.

Yeah, just let Trump blow himself up. I think the more the attack Trump directly, the more it will just strengthen his position.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xenophon posted:

here's a nightmare of an image

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ménage à Trump

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mitt Romney posted:

What a poo poo post. You think Joementum is basically a Ron Paul voter because he thinks Nate Silver is correct? That doesn't even make sense.
Trump is doing super well right now in the Republican primary, which automatically and inevitably means he will become the Republican nominee, president, Immortan, etc.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

sharkbomb posted:

Oh, look, another GOP operative making bank off of desperate Republican donors. The only thing notable about this particular effort is that they got a story into the WSJ to advertise that they're open for business. Time to cash in with those fat consultant fees!

And yet another one who doesnt understand you can't shame or shock Trump out of the race. That's one of the most shocking things to me: that no one in the GOP undrstands the how and why of Trump kidnapping their base. You've spent almost 50 plus years doing nothing but getting these people to vote for crazy poo poo that doesn't affect them based on weird appeals and now you're flummoxed over someone else doing the same thing but with less shame?

Maybe it's a form of denial over the fact that their own voters hate them almost as much as the boogeymen they create.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Montasque posted:

Yeah, just let Trump blow himself up. I think the more the attack Trump directly, the more it will just strengthen his position.

We can see where sitting around, waiting for Trump to self-deport himself from the race has gotten us. Buying television attack ads is in the age of new media is equally laughable. Someone needs to show these dark money men a chart with "Money spent on TV ads so far" next to a chart of his polls numbers to realize they are worthless.

I don't know if the Trump can be stumped at this point, but the best line of attack for the GOP would probably be to pressure all the losers to drop out, rally around Kasich or Rubio and hope that the establishment vote combined can out preform the 3 anti-establishment candidates.

The other, more realistic approach is to hunker down, throw their support behind God Emperor Trump and pray he can cobble together 287 EV's in November.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Real Republicans are trying to get the president to call it Radical Islamic Terrorism instead of jihadi terrorism or fundamentalist terrorism or whatever, but Trump is so far ahead of the curve he doesn't even say "radical."

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 18, 2016

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Si for Il Douche 2016!

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The GOP nomination process was pretty well doomed to create a candidate that was far too extreme this time around. We all just thought it would be more towards the end, rather than right at the beginning. Getting a little too extreme could be okay as long as the primary wasn't too far off, it won't hurt you in the general too bad. You can walk back the worst of it, while still winking to all the white voters. Most places are gerrymandered well enough that there's not many districts that are even up for grabs. But if someone came out swinging, It could destroy the party. A few months of light, dogwhistle, gentleman's immigrant-bashing is one thing, but an entire year of having one party scream about who hates minorities the hardest? It could be disastrous in ways that are simply unthinkable right now.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

sharkbomb posted:

Liberal millennials should be cashing in on this tactic to redistribute the wealth of the idle rich and paranoid. Sell your soul for 8-13 years and come out the other side having done a public good while enriching yourself. Run for local office as a hard right crazy motherfucker to siphon donations from Republicans who can win broader elections. Start 501(c)(4)s that ask for donations from right wing idiots and use that money for further fundraising and buying copies of your lovely self-published amazon e-book that's a 150 page stream of consciousness you pumped out while watching OAN for an afternoon. Insinuate yourself into a super pac to get payed exorbitant overtime pay while posting on Something Awful; now you're a social media maven.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

It's strange Joe isn't constantly called out on this nonsense. Let's throw out all available data and instead use ~my feels~

Basically a Ron Paul voter at this point.

Funny because we're nearly at the same point in the primary when Ron Paul started leading polls in Iowa in 2011, causing the Paulites to post-post-post that he was going to be the nominee.

And yet he wasn't, and never had any chance of winning. ~*~makes you think~*~

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The problem with expecting Trump to implode is in expecting the 30 or more percent that he's holding down to have some sort of line to cross that we would even recognize. He's not going to implode over this weeks happenings(!) because he knows these voters are sick trash who get boners over trampling human decency.

At this point I think he's built up enough momentum that no "bad" poo poo can stop his supporters from loving him, and he's too smart to spurn them by trying to moderate before the primary is over.

Basically I think he already imploded and can't win the general, but the gop base voter who shows up to primaries is so hosed up and sick of their own party that fact ends up having no bearing on their vote.

I have no idea what trumps end game is. If he gets through and spends more than a month as a threat to win (even with our news people desperate for a horse race I can't see how you do it without looking too supportive of an actual neonazi) I'm just going to walk into the sea. Because at that point I've lost the plot and don't know anything.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im pretty much in agreement with joe that trump will never ever be the nominee, but yeah i also have no clue how they'll stop him.

my dream is that he runs independent after being robbed

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

He'll have the same cabinet Jeb! would end up with, minus some lesser cronies switched for Apprentice contestants. Trump's America.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I am amazed at how much effort is being put in to destroy all the leading candidates by their own party.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

my dream is that he runs independent after being robbed

It's my dream too, and dreams do come true.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I hate to defend trump, but watching Maddow's coverage of this whole thing last night made it pretty clear to me that a couple of reporters jumped on him with obnoxiously leading questions and he responded with fairly vague non-answers which they proceeded to mischaracterize to maintain their narrative. The second journalist was actually on Maddow and the guy looked like he was about to cum in his pants the whole time he was talking about it.

The reporter basically asks "should we have a mooslem database" and Trump responds "we should have lots of databases and programs to control who's coming into this country", which is a far cry from "intern the turbans". It's actual "gotcha journalism".

Like, what Trump said is horrible in its own way, but the media has now killed it as an issue because they misrepresented his statements and now they look like dicks.

It's so weird how a lot of the things the Republican side complains or warns people about actually do end up true after a while.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

im pretty much in agreement with joe that trump will never ever be the nominee, but yeah i also have no clue how they'll stop him.

If you look at polls of "adults" he's at 33.9%. If you look at polls of registered voters, he's at 29.3%. If you look at polls of likely voters, he's at 26.7%.

In Iowa with registered voters he's at 29.0%. Among likely voters he's at 22.0%.

This provides a hint at what will be his problem.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Kylra posted:

I am amazed at how much effort is being put in to destroy all the leading candidates by their own party.

The fact that they are spending all this money and energy to destroy their frontrunner(who probably won't win anyway) is really funny.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Kylra posted:

Why? They hate the party with a passion and blame them for half the poo poo they put on Obama too. They're also awful candidates.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I mean the establishment attacks. The tea party stuff all makes perfect sense and is entirely expected by me.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
John Kasich retweeted a YouTube video bashing Trump. Unfortunately, the video was from a Democratic-aligned Super PAC and they decided to change the splash image and title after he tweeted it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

If you look at polls of "adults" he's at 33.9%. If you look at polls of registered voters, he's at 29.3%. If you look at polls of likely voters, he's at 26.7%.

In Iowa with registered voters he's at 29.0%. Among likely voters he's at 22.0%.

Trump comes out in support of same-day voting registration (with corollaries to make sure only the "right" people can do it).

(Yeah I know anything passed wouldn't affect this election cycle.)

Still, fair point, we'll see what happens.

Joementum posted:

John Kasich retweeted a YouTube video bashing Trump. Unfortunately, the video was from a Democratic-aligned Super PAC and they decided to change the splash image and title after he tweeted it.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA, nice work guys.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

That is awesome. Only 44 retweets and 53 likes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Joementum posted:

Does any single candidate's percentages significantly improve if you limit the poling to likely voters? Or is that roughly 10% drop just an artifact of him having a bigger chunk of the overall vote than anyone else?

If you want to slay a dragon you have to have someone who can lift a sword.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Joementum posted:

Funny because we're nearly at the same point in the primary when Ron Paul started leading polls in Iowa in 2011, causing the Paulites to post-post-post that he was going to be the nominee.

And yet he wasn't, and never had any chance of winning. ~*~makes you think~*~

Ron Paul wasn't ever on top of the polls though was he? And definitely not for half a year.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does any single candidate's percentages significantly improve if you limit the poling to likely voters? Or is that roughly 10% drop just an artifact of him having a bigger chunk of the overall vote than anyone else?

Rubio and Cruz go from 11 and 10%, respectively to 14% in the national poll.

The HuffPo Pollster charts have a "Create your Own" option that lets you change the time frame and check on/off a bunch of attributes about the polls.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jewel Repetition posted:

Ron Paul wasn't ever on top of the polls though was he? And definitely not for half a year.

Yes, he led Iowa at the end of December 2011. It looked like he might win the caucuses until Santorum gained ground in a surprise post-New Years CNN poll and consolidated the evangelical vote the weekend before the event.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Note: I think it's significantly more likely for Rubio to get the nomination than Trump, but I also still think Joementum is underselling Trump's chances a little.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mitt Romney posted:

except his insane answers will only make the bases collective boner for him harder. they are almost better off trying either go leftward or try to push trump to the left.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jewel Repetition posted:

There's also a major difference in that most of the people saying Trump could win the primary aren't actually Trump supporters. Everyone apart from blind Paulites already knew Paul had a ceiling.

The only ceiling to Trump's appeal is your level of cynicism. End of the day,

H.L.Mencken posted:

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

Trump in prophecy.

Joementum posted:

Rubio and Cruz go from 11 and 10%, respectively to 14% in the national poll.

The HuffPo Pollster charts have a "Create your Own" option that lets you change the time frame and check on/off a bunch of attributes about the polls.

Ok, fair enough. So presuming one of them drops out, add their votes together, you're at 28% to Trump's 22%? Presuming, of course, that none of Cruz's backers support Trump as their second choice. . .

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you want to slay a dragon you have to have someone who can lift a sword.
I hear Rubio has one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nessus posted:

I hear Rubio has one.

Hah, ziiing.

There's an additional layer to that story that I had missed, though perhaps y'all hadn't; Bush Senior was being extremely sarcastic with the Unleash Chang thing.

quote:

Doro explains in her book that "Unleash Chiang!" is a reference to the nationalist Chinese exile leader, Chiang Kai Shek. Specifically it was a battle cry of the American right during the Korean War. It meant that the U.S. should remove the Seventh Fleet from the Taiwan Strait (there to keep the peace between the mainland and Taiwan) so that Chiang could re-invade communist China and whup Mao. One of the principal reasons Gen. Douglas MacArthur, the great postwar right-wing hero, was relieved of his duties by President Truman was that he bypassed the White House and publicly urged Congress to allow him to unleash Chiang. Unleashing Chiang would not have been a good idea because Chiang could not win (he'd already been whupped once by Mao's army) without the U.S. dropping a few atom bombs on mainland China, and perhaps not even then. (You'll recall we had a hard enough time with the Chinese in Korea.)

https://newrepublic.com/article/100205/marco-rubio-flunks-history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/20/opinions/bush-refugee-policy/index.html

A Jeb Bush op-ed posted:

Their tone has been partisan and sanctimonious, and it is undermining a serious conversation about this foreign and domestic policy challenge.

Said in regards to Obama and Hillary asking Republicans to maybe tone down their rhetoric toward war orphans.

Jeb! is upset that the president and Hillary are stifling the robust and nuanced policy debate within the republican nominees and leaders across the nation. Considerations like the following should not be silenced for the sake of political correctness:

Texas state representative Tony Dale posted:

Dale wrote, “it is clear that firearms also killed a large number of innocent victims. Can you imagine a scenario were [sic] a refugees [sic] is admitted to the United States, is provided with federal cash payments and other assistance, obtains a drivers license and purchases a weapon and executes an attack?” He urged the lawmakers to “do whatever you can to stop the [Syrian refugee] program.”

Dale is concerned that malicious refugees would buy guns with their welfare and foodstamps money. Dale gets an 'A' rating from the NRA, so we can be sure he's not implying that maybe the fact that it's absurdly easy for terrorists to purchase guns in Texas is a problem.

• Locked thread